Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

I love that they gave Introduction to Teaching an A-. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Thank you Lord Harmon!

I seriously love Jeff as a teacher. It's new and really funny and there's so much new material with the focus on teachers now.

I can't believe we've never seen that side of Greendale as much as this one episode despite 4 seasons.

Can't wait for more staff lounge meetings.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

hcreight posted:

Harmon has said that despite the nasty behavior between him and Chevy during the course of the show, there aren't really any hard feelings between them. I wouldn't be shocked if Harmon talked him into doing it as a sendoff for the character. Plus the nature of the cameo means that they literally could've sent a crew to Chevy's house to shoot it if they had to.

The Chevy cameo was the moment I knew that the show was gonna be OK.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
That was about what I realistically expected and I am happy with that. Definitely better than season 4. More quality, rapid-fire jokes than the entirety of the previous season. Some good character stuff. Mike from Breaking Bad was pretty cool. But overall, I'd say it was the quality of some lesser season 3 episodes, with the "wackiness" and some of the lines. I thought the Scrubs voiceover was a little much and the Magnitude line in the first episode was meh.

But it's honestly nice just to see good jokes again. (So many lines and exchanges that I expect to see giffed all over the tumblrs.) And the idea of improving Greendale instead of moving away from it is a great move.

Davros1 posted:

I mean, did Troy suffer brain damage? Or has he always been that stupid? "You faked a robot fight?"

It looks like they had one chance to redeem Pierce, but they threw it away for "Is that gay" joke?
All the way back at the very start of season 2 they pointed out that Troy thinks all cats are girls and all dogs are boys and he responded "There’s no way to disprove that."

And yes, how dare they have Pierce grow and change but ultimately stay true to his character in a line that was endearing and funny? (Even if the hologram thing was really really stupid)

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)
Maybe it's because I haven't seen the show in a while so I'm not picking it apart week after week, but that was pretty good. It felt comfortingly familiar and snappy, but still had weird silly bits that don't lean too much into pop culture parody and gimmicks. I'm actually excited for the rest of the season.

emoticon fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 3, 2014

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Look, it wasn't the greatest thing ever.

That will take some time to get to. It's going through the period where it has to ground itself. I have no doubt that it will be the greatest thing ever in this season. That's the Harmon guarantee.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just catching this now, Jeff Winger's cheek makeup is a bit... slutty. Why is this?? What did he have to do to survive interseason?

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 3, 2014

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I see "What's wrong with Joel's face?" is the new set lighting.

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Intensely, it liberates with the heart which shines the fortress of thee ascent

Davros1 posted:

I mean, did Troy suffer brain damage? Or has he always been that stupid? "You faked a robot fight?"

I disagree with you there, I see this more as Troy accepting and knowing who he is. He started out as a jock saying dumb things because he was truly clueless. Now he's dumb things because he's kinda clueless, but he knows that and sometimes he's just loving with you.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Really digging the season 1 vibe that these episodes had. I wasn't a big fan of Abed going crazy and repeatedly channeling Nicholas Cage, but apart from that I loved the episodes.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
"That's like me blaming owls for how much I suck at analogies" is funnier than anything in the previous season. :colbert:

(The very shadowy lighting is a bit weird though. I still miss when Greendale looked clean and spacious.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VagueRant posted:

"That's like me blaming owls for how much I suck at analogies" is funnier than anything in the previous season. :colbert:

(The very shadowy lighting is a bit weird though. I still miss when Greendale looked clean and spacious.)

I was hoping to see John Oliver in the teachers lounge.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AND WE'RE BACK!!!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

bobkatt013 posted:

I was hoping to see John Oliver in the teachers lounge.

From what I read there's a specific explanation for his absence during the past two seasons, so I'm guessing we're still getting to that.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

hcreight posted:

From what I read there's a specific explanation for his absence during the past two seasons, so I'm guessing we're still getting to that.

Will it involve DANGER or will it be booze related?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Man, I've missed this show.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Senor Tron posted:

Really digging the season 1 vibe that these episodes had. I wasn't a big fan of Abed going crazy and repeatedly channeling Nicholas Cage, but apart from that I loved the episodes.

I appreciated that Pierce convinces Jeff to stay in both this episode and the first episode. And there's this slight tinge of darkness again (and I don't mean the darkest timeline bullshit), which had been missing in the third and fourth seasons when they started focusing more on wacky hijinks. I like it.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
First off, amazing.

Second, Jonathan Banks is perfect.

And lastly, I'm happy to report watching the season 3 finale before starting season 5 works really well, minus the absence of Troy-Britta and Changnesia.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Subtle

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
You know, I didn't even hate S4, but this felt like such an effortless return to form that I just... poo poo's better than owls, is what I'm saying.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Watching the first episode definitely gave me some Return to Oz vibes- but I mean I still enjoyed it and I didn't pee my pants.

:argh:Mombi:argh:.

Second episode was pretty great, too. SO FAR SO GOOD!

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
I only watched 2 eps of Season 4. I'm really glad to see Harmon back and it seems like he hasn't missed a beat. Abed going full Cage made me lose it. Also, Chevy Chase cameo was pretty cool. I remember Harmon saying after he was fired that Chevy Chase was not happy about it, so maybe Chevy has a soft spot for Harmon after all?

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

I did think that first episode was weirdly lit but I think it was on purpose?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Mexcillent posted:

I did think that first episode was weirdly lit but I think it was on purpose?

Darkest timeline, man.

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
I can't believe Good Community is back. Calling S4 "the gas leak year"... brilliant.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The gag with Annie's witness intimidation class project was maybe my biggest laugh of the night.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Davros1 posted:

I know I'll be torn apart in this thread for voicing this opinion, but . . .

Holy crap, those were awful. Really awful. I didn't even smile once.

It looks like they had one chance to redeem Pierce, but they threw it away for "Is that gay" joke?

The Nic Cage class felt like a plot straight out of season 4. And then they referenced the far more successful "Who's the Boss?" class, reminding you that they've done this before, and better. It should have been a throw away joke, not a plotline.

And ending the first episode on a fart joke? I though Harmon would be better than that.

Well, at least Parks and Rec is back next week.

And seriously, what was up with McHale's face? Did he get work done? It looks like someone to a smoothing tool to the footage.

I agree, I don't understand how so many people think this was good when I kind of felt like it was season 4 all over again. The second episode really felt like a lot of season 4 episodes where they're jamming in too many subplots and the writing doesn't really wrap everything up nicely together.

I really like Jonathan Banks though, the scenes with him and Jeff were actually really good. Also the Abed as Nic Cage was surprisingly well done, but the rest of it was pretty forgettable to me. I didn't really laugh during anything except Pierce's force ghost hologram appearing and Abed Be(ing) Cageing.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

MrAristocrates posted:

It was really creepy looking.

I thought Yvette looked great in episode 2. I liked her mixing it up with Abed.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
So far the episodes feel like a return to season one types of comedy which I'm really enjoying. Just a couple of students going to a community college and the comedy being based around how they interact with other students and teachers.

Pretty excited to see how the season goes from this point on.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

I found S4 pleasant, but forgettable.

Like a gas leak...

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Wow, what a return to form. Community is back!

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

hcreight posted:

Harmon has said that despite the nasty behavior between him and Chevy during the course of the show, there aren't really any hard feelings between them. I wouldn't be shocked if Harmon talked him into doing it as a sendoff for the character. Plus the nature of the cameo means that they literally could've sent a crew to Chevy's house to shoot it if they had to.

Also, wasn't most of it into season 4 when he started getting really fed up with the constant racist lines he was getting, by which point Harmon wasn't involved as much? Piece the character did start to get exceptionally racist in season 3/4 after just being an out of touch old man without proper boundaries.

These episodes were almost perfect to me. It dropped all the things that have been dragging down the show for years and focused on what has always been good.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Am I the only person who heard it as "That's like me blaming owls for how much I suck at anowlogies"?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

If you want to complete some homework, live in the United States and sub to Netflix, I present: http://nicolascageroulette.com/

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman

So that's the story circle in its initial position. Wonder if the arrow's going to move as the season advances.

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

Am I the only person who heard it as "That's like me blaming owls for how much I suck at anowlogies"?

nope, i thought that was on purpose.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
These felt episodes felt closer to the Community fell in love with. Apparently the 4th episode this season is even better then these two

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Interestingly enough, "trying too hard" would be exactly how I would describe last night's episodes.

Joey Gladstone
May 26, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

She definitely says analogies, there isn't more to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Davros1 posted:

And ending the first episode on a fart joke? I though Harmon would be better than that

Ah yes, Dan Harmon, the creator of "Laser Fart", how could he possibly end an episode with a fart joke?

• Locked thread