Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Well, this finally happened. We were all waiting for it to happen since it's been in service for almost six years straight without any failures yet and we got it second hand. The best part is we don't have any spare drives (170gb fiber channel :psyduck: ) sitting around for it. We really couldn't have received those R720s at a better time.

Fake edit: Yes, that's a little plastic army man hanging out on top of one of the servers in the rack.

Helushune fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Helushune posted:

Well, this finally happened. We were all waiting for it to happen since it's been in service for almost six years straight without any failures yet and we got it second hand. The best part is we don't have any spare drives (170gb fiber channel :psyduck: ) sitting around for it. We really couldn't have received those R720s at a better time.

Ehh, just run it degraded for another six years. What could possibly go wrong? :haw:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Caged posted:

Are you on the latest driver / firmware?

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/si...ette.cachetoken

Unfortunately it's a GDI printer or I'd suggest using HPs Universal driver and seeing if you have any more luck.

Thanks for the suggestions. The driver is up to date. I did need to update firmware but I had skimped on that as things worked fine from other PCs. Firmware is up to date now but problem persists.

I swear it's like there is some config specific to XPS files that doing dumb things. I tried monkeying with a XPS registry key where the printer config lives but got no changes.

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Ehh, just run it degraded for another six years. What could possibly go wrong? :haw:

If our director had anything to say about it he'd have us spend a fortune on ebay replacement drives for it because it's "cheaper in the short run" than buying a replacement. Remember, spending a little bit of money of the course of years buying replacements for failed hardware is better than spending a lot for a nice replacement up front.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of the directors of a small business I fortunately have nothing to do with professionally just suggested solving the issue of their 2007 XP laptops being slow and about to be running an unsupported OS by having one of their staff wipe them and install XP SP1 and then turn off Windows Update, "so it can't slow down again".

Jesus gently caress you tight bastard, just buy new laptops. If your business isn't making enough to be able to afford that then sell everything and close it down because it's clearly not worth the hassle.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Caged posted:

One of the directors of a small business I fortunately have nothing to do with professionally just suggested solving the issue of their 2007 XP laptops being slow and about to be running an unsupported OS by having one of their staff wipe them and install XP SP1 and then turn off Windows Update, "so it can't slow down again".

Jesus gently caress you tight bastard, just buy new laptops. If your business isn't making enough to be able to afford that then sell everything and close it down because it's clearly not worth the hassle.

This type of manager will happily bitch about his worthless IT department the moment some virus from 2007 compromises the network and publishes customer PII.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Caged posted:

install XP SP1 and then turn off Windows Update, "so it can't slow down again".

What could possibly go wrong

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Had my exit interview today, where I got to explain that the selection on the cookie platter during lunch was the driving factor in my decision to change jobs.

:feelsgood:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Dear new c-level guy

You've been here a week and this is going to be iPhone #3 :whoptc:

edit:
vvv
No kids and they're not going missing. It's probably been swims / being dropped and they're covered under warranty. Current problem is the touch screen failing to work about half the time.

They'll be fixed under warranty and all it's just amazing to see how quickly they're getting broken.

Bogan King fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 3, 2014

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

toe shoes posted:

Dear new c-level guy

Are they going mysteriously missing ? How many kids do they have ?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

toe shoes posted:

Dear new c-level guy

edit:
vvv
No kids and they're not going missing. It's probably been swims / being dropped and they're covered under warranty. Current problem is the touch screen failing to work about half the time.

They'll be fixed under warranty and all it's just amazing to see how quickly they're getting broken.

Is it an older or not top-end model? Is there a newer model due soon? Maybe he's breaking it because he wants a better one.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Sweevo posted:

Is it an older or not top-end model? Is there a newer model due soon? Maybe he's breaking it because he wants a better one.

Twice in a week? Before one comes out?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

He's putting in the groundwork. He wants to seem clumsy so that it doesn't look suspicious when he does it again later. :v:

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

This type of manager will happily bitch about his worthless IT department the moment some virus from 2007 compromises the network and publishes customer PII.

Why would a virus publish this company's preferred choice of desktop CPU?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I love when job postings say "please include the salary of your last three jobs" as proof of employment.

Ah good can't wait to see how little over my last job you can pay me to work for you.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Don't apply to that dumb job then. That's not proof of employment, they just want to get a sweet deal on a chump.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Erwin posted:

Don't apply to that dumb job then. That's not proof of employment, they just want to get a sweet deal on a chump.

Alternatively, make up some numbers which will push their offer towards the upper end of what you're after.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Erwin posted:

I'm not but holy poo poo does it rub me wrong.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just lie or leave it blank (or put in $1 if you need to put in a number).

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

I thought the response to salary questions was "It's covered by NDA".

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Lum posted:

Yeah that would probably work

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Lum posted:

I prefer "none of your business since the market rate for this job is different than my last one", which is the truth anyway.

While I think that, in general, employers ask this to find out if your requirements are too high and you're just going to leave after 3 months when you find a better offer, it's better to clarify that that to dance around the question with "covered by NDA".

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Lum posted:

This is a very good idea, although it won't work if you worked in a public sector job where such information is published.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ok, my raise isn't in a week, its in a month, no biggie, i'm not losing out on any money. What is pissing me off? Everyone in admin is passing tickets in my name because i'm helpful and my manager just gave me an extra two on top of what I had before. Usually I wouldn't mind if I had nothing to do but there are 2 guys with a single ticket to their name, why not pass them one of the 6 i've gotten in the past half an hour? I'm swamped as it is and its just crushed my motivation :smith:

VVVVVVVVVVVV

I did after I posted. He pulled the really lovely one out of my name and gave it to another chap and said that since I have the most tickets, I can take a break and just install a new monitor before we leave instead of trying to work on calls. Plugging that thing in was actually really satisfying, i'm quite surprised and a fair bit happier. Weird.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 3, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Talk to your manager, that's what he's for.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Went in to work today for my goodbye lunch.

No one else went in to work today due to the very heavens casting cold and dark allusions to their future without me.

:confuoot:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

dogstile posted:

Ok, my raise isn't in a week, its in a month, no biggie, i'm not losing out on any money. What is pissing me off? Everyone in admin is passing tickets in my name because i'm helpful and my manager just gave me an extra two on top of what I had before. Usually I wouldn't mind if I had nothing to do but there are 2 guys with a single ticket to their name, why not pass them one of the 6 i've gotten in the past half an hour? I'm swamped as it is and its just crushed my motivation :smith:

Raise delayed a month? Tickets delayed a month!

(a man can dream, can't he?)

evol262 posted:

I prefer "none of your business since the market rate for this job is different than my last one", which is the truth anyway.

While I think that, in general, employers ask this to find out if your requirements are too high and you're just going to leave after 3 months when you find a better offer, it's better to clarify that that to dance around the question with "covered by NDA".

My personal preference is "I've agreed not to disclose those numbers." Doesn't really matter to them WHO I've agreed with that they will not be disclosed. In fact, I just had a lovely conversation with my dog, Doctor Barkles, who agreed that I shouldn't disclose that information. Implying an NDA is much better than stating "there's an NDA", in case they decide to investigate further.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 3, 2014

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I love when job postings say "please include the salary of your last three jobs" as proof of employment.

I saw it this week for determining compensation, my last job was self-employed so I put $30k.

I was more amused at having to list lifetime lines-of-code per language written.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MrMoo posted:

I saw it this week for determining compensation, my last job was self-employed so I put $30k.

I was more amused at having to list lifetime lines-of-code per language written.
code:
puts "all work and no play makes jack a dull boy"

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Misogynist posted:

code:

I would have serious reservations about hiring a developer who didn't write this as a loop :haw:

mewse
May 2, 2006

guppy posted:

I would have serious reservations about hiring a developer who didn't write this as a loop :haw:

But then you'd have lines of code generated rather than written, which would prove your total inferiority as a programmer

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I got so much flak from the dude trying to hire me at one place because I refused to tell him how much I was making at the time (I wasn't making much but the positions weren't really comparable anyway). I just told him to make a reasonable offer and we could go from there. The offer was terrible and I turned it down but it was more than current hourly rate+1 so the strategy mostly worked.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

guppy posted:

Or, in VIM:
y
50p

:v:

Galler posted:

I got so much flak from the dude trying to hire me at one place because I refused to tell him how much I was making at the time (I wasn't making much but the positions weren't really comparable anyway). I just told him to make a reasonable offer and we could go from there. The offer was terrible and I turned it down but it was more than current hourly rate+1 so the strategy mostly worked.

I hate that "How much did you make last job" poo poo just as much as I hate jobs that will absolutely refuse to tell you what they're paying. I've had multiple jobs try to do that only to find out that they're paying ~60k for a position that should be making ~100k median.

Urit fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 3, 2014

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Instead of being evasive, why not just use the number that you'd like to make at the job you're applying for :confused:

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

guppy posted:

I wouldn't.

You're saving CPU cycles here!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

anthonypants posted:

Instead of being evasive, why not just use the number that you'd like to make at the job you're applying for :confused:

It's not being evasive, it's making them start the negotiation off. As soon as you name a figure ( let's say your desired salary) they can lowball you. What happens if they were prepared to offer 200k and you say 100k? They're not going to offer you the higher figure if they don't have to.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Asking for your previous salary, or previous 3 salaries, is completely asinine.

However, asking for your salary expectation isn't unfair, it's just part of a bargaining process.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Depends, my current job started at $50k and doubled up, in the end they even added another $20k above that. Salary determination is voodoo, bonus is definitely a crap shoot. It certainly helps to have niche domain knowledge.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

mewse posted:

But then you'd have lines of code generated rather than written, which would prove your total inferiority as a programmer

I think it was IBM that had quantity of lines of code being how the paid contractors or employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

It's not being evasive, it's making them start the negotiation off. As soon as you name a figure ( let's say your desired salary) they can lowball you. What happens if they were prepared to offer 200k and you say 100k? They're not going to offer you the higher figure if they don't have to.

Eh... If you're going into a position that pays $200k market and you think you're worth $100k... maybe you're worth $100k because you don't know how to do even the most basic research.

Just forget the stupid playground "no, you first!" bullshit and name a number you've determined is past the high side of market rates and say that you're flexible depending on the overall benefits and work environment.