Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Likewise, Sweden only had two terrestrial channels until 1992. I grew up in the south of Sweden though, and if you had a good antenna you could pick up the two danish channels as well.

If you wanted more channels you had to get a satellite dish. Commercial TV was illegal in Sweden until 1992, although of course they couldn't do anything about satellite reception as long as the channels weren't sent from Sweden. The first commercial channel in swedish (TV3) started in 1987, but due to the law they transmitted from London via satellite.

In response to TV3 there were a few nutty politicians from the leftist block who proposed an outright ban on the ownership of satellite receivers. :arghfist::tinfoil:

Collateral Damage has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Dec 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
This came up in m Facebook feed today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJaft0a5VXc

It's the analog switch off in Syndey, Australia.

Kudos to channel 7 for actually doing something to mark the occasion rather than just flipping a breaker.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

Groke posted:

That poo poo didn't happen until 1992 in Norway. Of course a significant percentage of the population lived close enough to the border to get Swedish channels (and I believe some in the south could get Danish brodcasts as well), but for the rest of us it was one glorious channel. One effect of this was that everyone had seen the exact same shows (if they had been watching TV at all).

In fact I am also old enough to remember when we only had one national radio channel. And if you wanted to get a phone line installed you might have to wait for up to a couple of years. Things have changed rather a bit since then.

Oh yeah, tell me about it. Getting TV 2 was awesome, especially the morning show (much better than the one on NRK, at least for a boring kid like me, and all the amazing American shows that we suddenly got access to …)

My aunt had a satelite dish, though, so the few times a year we visited them, I'd either stay glued to the TV screen or being educated in hard rock and Civ 1 (from '91 at least) by my older cousin.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Collateral Damage posted:

A significantly less failed computer in Sweden was the Z80-based ABC 80 which was popular in many schools and homes, and still has a minor cult following. It held a significant market share until the C64 came along.

Ha, I have one of those. Still works fine, and given that the thing is older than me, that's kind of impressive. I've got a tape drive for it, though I wouldn't bet on too many of the tapes working anymore; never got my hands on a floppy drive (or any of the crazy modem/network action).

Also, the real way to get more TV channels in Norway was to live close to Sweden. I still think Swedish is a better language for dubbing Disney cartoons.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Came across this on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibm-10SR-Hard-drive-/231110449329?pt=US_Vintage_Computers_Mainframes&hash=item35cf4198b1
An ancient IBM mainframe hard drive. That lid lifts up on a hinge, and the platters are RIGHT THERE. They aren't sealed at all.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
German Channel 2 Analog Shutdown

Fitting music too...

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

That's a Mobira Talkman. My father had one, and it's still collecting dust in my parents' basement.

In the nordics they used the NMT 450/900 bands which gave them excellent range, especially with an external antenna. They weren't really suitable for anything but fixed installation in a vehicle though since the unit weighed almost 6kg and the lead-acid battery gave you a talking time of 30 minutes if you were lucky. They were really popular with truckers and forestry workers up until they finally shut NMT down in 2007.
I want a smartphone with that form factor and a lithium battery. Can you imagine how much Angry Birds you could play with that?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

An ex colleague of mine was disappointed in the battery life of his phone, so he jury rigged an external battery pack (wrapped in brown packing tape) attached to the back of the phone. Not a bad idea, except the whole thing looked like a phone with a block of C4.

I suggested he never try to take it flying.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

An ex colleague of mine was disappointed in the battery life of his phone, so he jury rigged an external battery pack (wrapped in brown packing tape) attached to the back of the phone. Not a bad idea, except the whole thing looked like a phone with a block of C4.

I suggested he never try to take it flying.

When I was taking a security course one of the speakers talked specifically about how many commercial and almost all home made batteries are pretty much indistinguishable from explosives on many scanners.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

El Estrago Bonito posted:

When I was taking a security course one of the speakers talked specifically about how many commercial and almost all home made batteries are pretty much indistinguishable from explosives on many scanners.

I want to meet the guy trying to get homemade batteries on a plane.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Batteries generally consist of two highly reactive materials with a large amount of potential energy. They pretty much are explosives.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

eddiewalker posted:

I want to meet the guy trying to get homemade batteries on a plane.

Microcline posted:

Batteries generally consist of two highly reactive materials with a large amount of potential energy. They pretty much are explosives.

Except that the energy density of any chemical battery is total and complete poo poo when compared to the feeblest of high explosives.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Phanatic posted:

Except that the energy density of any chemical battery is total and complete poo poo when compared to the feeblest of high explosives.

So what you're saying is that instead of developing electric cars, we should focus on cars driven by an explosive substance with high energy density?

Nonsense.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

If wikipedia is anything to go by, Lithium ion batteries have about 2/3rds the energy density of gunpowder, weight for weight. Much nastier reaction products, though.
Compared to e.g. gasoline, both are rather puny.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 10:14 on Jan 3, 2014

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Computer viking posted:

If wikipedia is anything to go by, Lithium ion batteries have about 2/3rds the energy density of gunpowder, weight for weight. Much nastier reaction products, though.

No, non‐rechargeable lithium batteries (expensive cameras used to use these) have two‐thirds the energy density of gunpowder (which for the record is not a high explosive). Rechargeable lithium‐ion batteries are more like a quarter.

KozmoNaut posted:

So what you're saying is that instead of developing electric cars, we should focus on cars driven by an explosive substance with high energy density?

Nah, energy density isn’t everything. Just look at wood beating the crap out of TNT in energy density. Should we use wood‐fired cars?

Just don’t operate a sawmill incompetently and have ærosolised wood dust everywhere.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Oops. I looked in the table and noticed both were in there, and then picked the wrong type. And I know gunpowder isn't a high explosive, but it's good enough to count as "explosive" in the context of airplane safety. :)

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Platystemon posted:

Should we use wood‐fired cars?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_gas#Internal_combustion_engine

:colbert:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
My job is in the field of hazmat transportation and lithium metal cells and batteries are a BIG problem. As in, at the last meeting of the International Civil Aviation Organization, the Secretary submitted a paper proposing to ban transport on passenger and cargo aircraft. Explosiveness is not the problem, raging fires are.

I can't think of any technology to post myself right now, but can anyone tell me about obsolete or failed musical instruments? F'r instance, I remember reading that the guy from Neutral Milk Hotel used an electronic sax that had the amazing design of slowly trapping saliva inside until it broke and they went through a few of them on Aeroplane.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

There's the Casio DG-20. Kind of a mix between a guitar and a synth and a MIDI controller. I've always wanted one but can never justify buying the odd ones on ebay.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

There's the Casio DG-20. Kind of a mix between a guitar and a synth and a MIDI controller. I've always wanted one but can never justify buying the odd ones on ebay.

A couple years back Line 6 (I think) came out with an emulated guitar, it had real strings and frets but the actual sound was created by software and it used something that looked like a cat5 ethernet cable instead of a patch cord, it only worked with like 1 or 2 proprietary amps and there was only one model of guitar.

Supposedly it could emulate the sound of almost any amp/guitar combo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

KozmoNaut posted:

Nonsense.

If electric cars worked by combusting their batteries, that would be pretty funny.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Lithium batteries can be dangerous on airplanes, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CH6GpXAXmx8

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

vxskud posted:

A couple years back Line 6 (I think) came out with an emulated guitar, it had real strings and frets but the actual sound was created by software and it used something that looked like a cat5 ethernet cable instead of a patch cord, it only worked with like 1 or 2 proprietary amps and there was only one model of guitar.

Supposedly it could emulate the sound of almost any amp/guitar combo.

Your thinking of Line 6's Varaix guitars; which are pretty much regular guitars, but they have modelling hardware built into them. They was only one model back in the day, though in the interm there has been a new series introduced of several more interesting models. But even then, the old and new Variax's could still be used with any amp as they still had the regular 1/4" jack. The cat5 jack was used so it could interface with certain propriety hardware so that the two could communicate and control each other (though the number of such hardware hasn't really changed). But the amp/guitar combo emulation comes when you buy 'the Dream Rig™' which involves buying their most expensive amps, their most expensive foot controller, and one of their expensive modelling guitar; then you can sound like anybody you want 'authentically'.

Meanwhile other guitarists just find equipment they like, and carve out their own sounds (or pay top dollar to buy the same equipment their idols used).

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yamaha put out something called the EZ-EG a few years ago that was somewhat similar, but I think it's discontinued. It doesn't look like it has a full fret, though.

There's also something called the Q-Chord that I've watched demos of and I still can't figure it the hell out on how it's supposed to work.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

JediTalentAgent posted:

There's also something called the Q-Chord that I've watched demos of and I still can't figure it the hell out on how it's supposed to work.

Are you talking about this piece of poo poo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI9qbR-398o

Cause it's amazing how lovely it is.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Are you talking about this piece of poo poo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI9qbR-398o

Cause it's amazing how lovely it is.
I don't know what's worse, the fake plastic autoharp or the absolutely depressing people praising it.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't know what's worse, the fake plastic autoharp or the absolutely depressing people praising it.

Dear god, I have been searching for the name of that thing for years, back in grade school my music teacher brought one in and we thought it was the coolest thing ever.

This was like in 3rd grade

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
That's the one.

The sad truth is that I ALMOST bought one of these years ago before I knew what it was.

There's a musical instrument called 'the chapman stick' that sort of interested me for a while and I think is legitimately still cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GS0nKIebCc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT6GScX-Yh0

JediTalentAgent has a new favorite as of 21:03 on Jan 3, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Manky posted:

I can't think of any technology to post myself right now, but can anyone tell me about obsolete or failed musical instruments?

Well, there's always the shagbut, the minikin and the Flemish clacket.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

JediTalentAgent posted:

I have one of these. It is an overly complicated piece of poo poo meant to replace the Omnichord, which is a much better electronic autoharp.

Cool Web Paige
Nov 19, 2006

BigHustle posted:

I have one of these. It is an overly complicated piece of poo poo meant to replace the Omnichord, which is a much better electronic autoharp.

I looked up the new models and apparently they still use those cartridges that look like they belong in a late 70s video game system.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

I don't know about the Qchord, but the Omnichord is badass and I will hear no criticism of it :colbert:

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

JediTalentAgent posted:

There's a musical instrument called 'the chapman stick' that sort of interested me for a while and I think is legitimately still cool:

Haha, the Stick was actually the first thing I thought of, but as far as I know it doesn't really qualify for either. It is a cool idea. It even makes a cameo in David Lynch's Dune!

Cool! I can't even tell what's going on but I like it.

I think a good candidate for this thread would be the Gibson Firebird X. Not only is it ugly as sin, expensive as hell ($4,000), it's definitely a solution in search of a problem. Cramming every hyped up piece of electronics into a guitar is sort of interesting on an engineering level but it makes no sense. For instance, "the audio engine has the power and resolution needed to create sounds with a true analog feel." You know what else has a true analog feel? A regular loving guitar!

Or "Optimized to create sounds like Gibson’s acclaimed J-45 acoustic guitar and others, the basic acoustic guitar sound is virtually indistinguishable from an acoustic guitar’s electric output." I bold "virtually" to show that at least Gibson can't lie about that. Ignoring the fact that most would say you can only get good amplification of an acoustic with a microphone or soundhole pickup. Also ignoring the fact that you could get two J-45s instead.

Or "the internal battery lasts for well over two hours of heavy, continuous use — and should the power run out, the battery can be swapped out in under 10 seconds with commonly available, inexpensive camcorder batteries." Commonly available camcorder batteries. Jesus.

Direct digital output is just about the only good thing here.

Kirk Douglas from the Roots is quoted as saying "With the Firebird X I can plug directly into my amp and have access to all my quality effects. All I need is a cable. Truly revolutionary!" and I have to imagine he said it tongue in cheek.

Manky has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Jan 4, 2014

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Delivery McGee posted:

Similarly, FM transmitters for MP3 players (to use your iPod without a tape deck or aux in, were big a from the late '90s up until a few years ago when new cars started coming with USB or at least 3.5mm input jacks) and some wireless headsets step on the bottom end of the FM band. I'll be listening to NPR and pass an older car or pull up to the McDonald's window, and it'll go to static.

This is a laaaate quote, but god dammit my car was made in 2006, which in case you can't remember because it was apparently eons ago was well into the digital music age. It came with no aux in, and I still have to use one of these every day. It's infuriating, sounds awful,I feel like a silly techno-Grandpa, and I can't replace the dash audio unit with a new one (without going to the dealer and paying a mint) because it's integrated into the console.

:argh:

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Manky posted:

I can't think of any technology to post myself right now, but can anyone tell me about obsolete or failed musical instruments?

Talking about more classical instruments, the harpsichord family is a small niche these days, after a long dominance, and the hurdy-gurdies have gone from a common instrument to a historical curiosity.
The former is best described as a piano that plucks the strings instead of hammering them, and the latter is, uhm. A keyed violin with a rotating wheel instead of a bow?

I do like the sound of harpsichords, but they have some fundamental issues compared to the pianoes; mostly that there's no way to control the volume or duration of each note (it's either plucked or not). Larger models had two keyboards with different amounts of force, but that's still a rather rough solution. Bonus modern (well, in this context) harpsichord use: Golden Brown, by the Stranglers.

As for the hurdy gurdy, it's more of an ... acquired taste, kind of like the bagpipes. There's an explanation of the thing here.

Computer viking has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Jan 4, 2014

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Calliopes are rather obsolete.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Manky posted:

"Commonly available, inexpensive camcorder batteries."
Inexpensive? If it's using something common like Sony (the website just says "Lithium-Ion". then one battery will go for $50 to $200+ depending on how much charge you want. Unless you go super cheap and have something with dud cells that die at half full.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Computer viking posted:

Talking about more classical instruments, the harpsichord family is a small niche these days, after a long dominance, and the hurdy-gurdies have gone from a common instrument to a historical curiosity.
The former is best described as a piano that plucks the strings instead of hammering them, and the latter is, uhm. A keyed violin with a rotating wheel instead of a bow?

I do like the sound of harpsichords, but they have some fundamental issues compared to the pianoes; mostly that there's no way to control the volume or duration of each note (it's either plucked or not). Larger models had two keyboards with different amounts of force, but that's still a rather rough solution.

Bonus modern (well, in this context) harpsichord use: Golden Brown, by the Stranglers.

Janis Ian's famous civil rights song Society's Child opens with a harpsichord solo solely because the studio offered to provide any instruments required for the song and she'd always wanted to play one.

Manky - it is explained in excessive detail what is happening with the shagbut, minikin and Flemish clacket. This is because none of the instruments actually exist - it's a BBC radio comedy sketch. You seriously thought there was a two-man trombone with a 25-foot slide operated using grappling hooks?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Computer viking posted:

I do like the sound of harpsichords, but they have some fundamental issues compared to the pianoes; mostly that there's no way to control the volume or duration of each note (it's either plucked or not). Larger models had two keyboards with different amounts of force, but that's still a rather rough solution. Bonus modern (well, in this context) harpsichord use: Golden Brown, by the Stranglers.

As for the hurdy gurdy, it's more of an ... acquired taste, kind of like the bagpipes. There's an explanation of the thing here.

Harpsichords are 70% of the reason I dislike baroque music, but obviously that's a gross generalization and a personal opinion. Hurdy gurdies are neat.

Jedit posted:

Manky - it is explained in excessive detail what is happening with the shagbut, minikin and Flemish clacket. This is because none of the instruments actually exist - it's a BBC radio comedy sketch. You seriously thought there was a two-man trombone with a 25-foot slide operated using grappling hooks?

Er, I was browsing the forums while listening and wasn't giving it my full attention. Missed that it was meant to be a comedy sketch, man I don't know. Maybe I just WANTED it to be real (and shagbutte is a real term!)

Fake edit: I was also somehow conflating it with the Shaggy Butte series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Jedit posted:

Janis Ian's famous civil rights song Society's Child opens with a harpsichord solo solely because the studio offered to provide any instruments required for the song and she'd always wanted to play one.

That seems like an entirely appropriate reason to use one. :D
Manky: I can understand getting tired of them after a while, it's not the most varied of sounds.

edit:
Also, I think I need to stop continuously updating my posts after submitting them; there's two different versions of my previous post quoted, and the in-thread one is different from both.