Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Awesome return to form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...
Fat Neil's cleaned up!

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Cybershell posted:

I can't believe Good Community is back. Calling S4 "the gas leak year"... brilliant.

I thought the "Gas Leak Year" was the point in time between Season 4 and Now....

Am I wrong?

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

CaptainHollywood posted:

I thought the "Gas Leak Year" was the point in time between Season 4 and Now....

Am I wrong?

The point in time between season 4 and now is the year that everyone spent failing at their dreams.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Funniest moment of the night for me. Holy poo poo.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Behind the scenes videos are back!

Episode 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbr4udKLMSg

Episode 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrF33fbyFZ8

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

JayMax posted:

So that's the story circle in its initial position. Wonder if the arrow's going to move as the season advances.

I took it to mean that those dots in the upper left quadrant indicate we're in the last position on the story circle.

But anyway, both of these episodes were great. I was almost in tears from the single tear rolling down chair-Troy's face.

"We're not going to be able to bury dad with the rest of the family."

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Haha "What does Et Tu Brutè mean?"....................."SLIGHTLY HIGHER GRADES!!!!"

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I'm gonna miss the study table...

NOTCHES.

Great episodes. Glad the show is back, glad Harmon is back.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
What happened after Troy began inching forward in the chair disguise? That's where my DVR cut off.

It's unbelievable that the show is Back and Good again somehow!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Piell posted:

Ah yes, Dan Harmon, the creator of "Laser Fart", how could he possibly end an episode with a fart joke?

Good point, Harmon is a hack.

El Tortuga posted:

The point in time between season 4 and now is the year that everyone spent failing at their dreams.

But Jeff and Pierce were the only ones to graduate at the end of season 4, so everyone else should have had at least another semester. Not that Harmon would pass up an opportunity to bash on season 4, but at the same time it explains the time jump and also might make for some funny flashbacks to the "gas leak year" if it was the semester/year that Jeff and Pierce were graduated but everyone else was there.

These were really solid episodes, when I heard about Jeff teaching I thought it would be cheesy as hell but they made it work despite how contrived it could have been. I am not a fan of what Harmon did with season 3 and feel like he is mostly to blame for season 4 but I have to give that to him, he does add a certain touch of sincerity/humanity to the show that makes it work. I still don't think it is going to last more than this season (unless NBC keeps putting out failed pilots and has literally nothing else to lean on) and maybe it shouldn't anyway with Chase and Glover being done, but I hope this gives Harmon and opportunity to end it on his terms, and we get some more classic Community episodes.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I was underwhelmed by Repilot but they kind of had to re-establish the show so I'm okay with that, but I thought the second episode was awesome. I don't why. Maybe Jonathan Banks is just loving awesome. It was just a good, quality episode.

I hope we get more classroom focus this season. It seems to be pretty rare ever since Season 3.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

But Jeff and Pierce were the only ones to graduate at the end of season 4, so everyone else should have had at least another semester. Not that Harmon would pass up an opportunity to bash on season 4, but at the same time it explains the time jump and also might make for some funny flashbacks to the "gas leak year" if it was the semester/year that Jeff and Pierce were graduated but everyone else was there.
Season 4 is the gas leak year. It's so painfully obvious that's what they meant.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

also might make for some funny flashbacks to the "gas leak year"

Eh, I've seen the footage and it's not really great. There's like five hours of it and it's just "meh".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Season 4 is the gas leak year. It's so painfully obvious that's what they meant.

Yes, I am aware, that's why I said "Dan Harmon wouldn't pass up an opportunity to bash on season 4". But I was also directly responding to and repudiating the comment that the only thing that happened between the end of season 4 and now was the year everyone became failures; most of them spent more time at Greendale.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
http://tvline.com/2014/01/03/ratings-community-season-5-premiere/

Looks like it is in line with the S4 Finale, but not as good as the premier.

So I guess we should just hope it remains here. 1.3 on NBC is like, pretty decent.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Given everything is down this year, it's not soooo bad. Disappoints me that the second episode dropped a point, I can understand it not doing great against BBT, but the episodes of The Millers I saw were garbage.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If anyone is curious about the logistics of the Chevy cameo, it sounds like Dan and Chevy are on pretty good terms, and it's Sony that doesn't want Chevy in there; Harmon Wingered some loophole in the contracts to get the cameo in.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01...m_medium=social

Edit: Also, I just noticed just now that Fat Neil is now just credited as Neil; that's also kind of :unsmith:

Argue fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jan 3, 2014

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Still nearly double anything else that night on NBC.

Oh god, what is happening to television. At the very least, repiloting and losing a couple of main cast members might just make this show financially viable for cable. If season 6 of Community makes it to USA or FXX or, hell, even Hulu as original programing, it would be a better fit for the show than NBC even if the future would be more uncertain.

With Cougar Town and American Dad moving to TBS, Futurama moving to Comedy Central, and Arrested Development moving to Netflix, the future isn't completely grim for a show like Community, but it's a complete tragedy that it gets squashed by the sort of homogenized, non-threatening shows that CBS airs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a Sony show, they would probably put it on Crackle.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Emerson Cod posted:

With Cougar Town and American Dad moving to TBS, Futurama moving to Comedy Central, and Arrested Development moving to Netflix, the future isn't completely grim for a show like Community, but it's a complete tragedy that it gets squashed by the sort of homogenized, non-threatening shows that CBS airs.

I don't even remember which one CBS has airing at the 8:00 slot but for all the tallent they have in the 8:30 slot the Millers is such a waste of airspace.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't even remember which one CBS has airing at the 8:00 slot but for all the tallent they have in the 8:30 slot the Millers is such a waste of airspace.

If this is not a bit, it's Big Bang at 8:00, then Millers, Crazy Ones, Two and a Half Men.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Just managed to watch the episodes. Community's good again! :dance:

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Both episodes were great. Its really good to see the show back to its old self again. You done good, Dan Harmon.

Argue posted:

Edit: Also, I just noticed just now that Fat Neil is now just credited as Neil; that's also kind of :unsmith:

Not from an actuarial standpoint.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Harmon's back, Community's back, God is in His heaven, gas leak year.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Argue posted:

If anyone is curious about the logistics of the Chevy cameo, it sounds like Dan and Chevy are on pretty good terms, and it's Sony that doesn't want Chevy in there; Harmon Wingered some loophole in the contracts to get the cameo in.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01...m_medium=social

Well that explains Pierce's "no legal right to be here" line.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

emoticon posted:

Well that explains Pierce's "no legal right to be here" line.

It's funny that the main problem with bringing Chevy back for a brief cameo wasn't between him and Sony, NBC or Dan Harmon, it was keeping him away from the rest of the cast.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Episode 1 was horribly depressing and made me kind of wish that Community would stay away.

2 was a return to fun form though.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
So, so, so, so glad Community is back to its old self.

I could have sworn the dean said it was his "ideantidean" and it made me laugh twice as hard.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The only thing I wish had changed was the lighting from 5x01 (which did really suit it) reverted to 'Classic Community' for the next episode, but that didn't seem to be the case. It's no huge deal, it's understandable that they're trying to run what should be an expensive show on a tight budget, but I miss the nice bright colours :(

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Community Season 5: JEFFS FACE, THE LIGHTING. OMG.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

The only thing I wish had changed was the lighting from 5x01 (which did really suit it) reverted to 'Classic Community' for the next episode, but that didn't seem to be the case. It's no huge deal, it's understandable that they're trying to run what should be an expensive show on a tight budget, but I miss the nice bright colours :(
Dimmer lighting takes more time and as such is actually more expensive unless you have incredibly talented gaffers who can get cool mood lighting done quicker than "turn most of the 2ks on and call it lit."

When you see a show, like Scrubs for instance, alter its color pallette to be brighter and more colorful, it's usually to save time and money, not the other way around.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
The best thing from those behind the scenes videos was Joel Mchale saying "The writing is so great, it's like breathing oxygen again"

I'm enjoying how much they're hating on season 4.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

EL BROMANCE posted:

Oh come the gently caress on

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

can we please talk about the lighting and Jeff's face for another five or six pages?

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

Sounds great!
The lighting looked better than it has since season 2 and I didn't notice anything wierd about Jeff's make up. I guess he's just getting older. It's not like Portia de Rossi or anything.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

It's funny, thinking about the structure of the whole series from the perspective of Harmon's story wheel - last season was the third act where things go downhill, and this will (hopefully!) be the climactic resolution where everything comes back together.

Also, as much as I'll miss Don Glover, I think having Troy move on could be really positive for Abed's character.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

I'm always impressed at the level of detail and work the set designs put into the throwaway background stuff. It's a shame that most people won't even get a chance to appreciate them aside from random freeze framed screen grabs or behind the scenes stuff.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Indie Rocktopus posted:

It's funny, thinking about the structure of the whole series from the perspective of Harmon's story wheel - last season was the third act where things go downhill, and this will (hopefully!) be the climactic resolution where everything comes back together.

Also, as much as I'll miss Don Glover, I think having Troy move on could be really positive for Abed's character.

Only if he doesn't spend most of the season stuck in the Troy-hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Steel
Aug 19, 2009

GET YOUR BITCH ASS OUT OF E/N AND BACK TO TFLC
I am so happy with these two episodes. Season 4 made me rage-quit watching, as it turned my beloved Community into a forgettable, steaming turd of a sitcom. The magic's back.

• Locked thread