Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

ma i married a tuna posted:

In any case, the idea that "they can't hold a usable edge" is flat out not true.

I said can't hold a usable aggressive edge, not that they couldnt hold an edge at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Eh, I sharpen on waterstones and the bolster issue definitely happened with my Wusthof chef's knife, but working in a restaurant kitchen I sharpen my knives a lot more frequently than some.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I think a lot of the German vs Japanese kitchen knives is becoming subject to internet hyperbole.
I'm not saying Wusthofs and Zwillings and such are better than Tojiros and Shuns - but I don't think they're necessarily worse either.

I agree.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Some people, myself included, don't like the useless weight of a German knife. If I need the heft, I'll grab a cleaver, it's a better tool for the job anyway.

I also agree.

It doesn't really matter, they're all knives that can be perfectly sharp and capable of cutting thing. It mostly boils down to personal preference really, once you get into the $80-250 range. Well, personal preference, and how well you personally maintain your knife. I've used plenty of lovely german knives, and also plenty that subjectively cut better than a lot of japanese blades I've used. ditto for japanese, though I think the sperglord factor generally means people who own expensive japanese knives are more likely to keep them in good shape, compared with your friend's mom who bought a wüsthof because it was recommended to her by a salesperson at williams sonoma.

I like the heft of german knives, but I also like the nimbleness of japanese santokus. I like hard japanese blades - but my sperglord japanese blade literally chipped on a tortilla chip. it's nice to also know you can hack through bones with the best of them, when the time comes.

all knives are beautiful :) :)

well ok except those that aren't

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mindphlux posted:

I like the heft of german knives, but I also like the nimbleness of japanese santokus.
Why specifically a santoku? Never really `got' them, and thought that mostly they were a forgotten fad from about 2004, like the Numa Numa guy or whatever.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

I do still agree with the Tojiro as a default recommendation for someone looking to buy a good, well-priced first kitchen knife; I just don't think it's a real upgrade if you have a decent German already.
If you want a lighter knife with a thinner profile that holds an edge better, it is... if not, I guess not?

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

No Wave posted:

If you want a lighter knife with a thinner profile that holds an edge better, it is... if not, I guess not?

Absolutely, but then we're getting into personal preference territory, and there's no arguing that.

Cuck Everlasting
Feb 4, 2008

SubG posted:

Why specifically a santoku? Never really `got' them, and thought that mostly they were a forgotten fad from about 2004, like the Numa Numa guy or whatever.

I prefer santokus on the line during service, because I can put it down on a cutting board for a minute without worrying about turning around and goring myself on the non-existent tip. I rarely use them for prep or home cooking, however.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My brother wants a kitchen knife for breaking down (cooked) chickens, getting cooked chicken off the bone, and getting silverskin off pork.

So for Christmas he asked for a filet knife :iiam:

I think for breaking down chickens, his best bet is my mom's big old Henckels (which could probably use a real sharpening by now). For removing cooked chicken and silverskin, I could get him a 5.5-6" boning knife. Does that sound good?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW

Anne Whateley posted:

My brother wants a kitchen knife for breaking down (cooked) chickens, getting cooked chicken off the bone, and getting silverskin off pork.

So for Christmas he asked for a filet knife :iiam:

I think for breaking down chickens, his best bet is my mom's big old Henckels (which could probably use a real sharpening by now). For removing cooked chicken and silverskin, I could get him a 5.5-6" boning knife. Does that sound good?

I have this knife on my "to buy" list, might be up your alley. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmbo14.html

While on the Subject of Fujiwara knives, how do you guys think they stack up to their price equivalent Tojiros? I'm left-handed and I really, really dislike those d shaped handles. Also, would it kill any of these knife manufacturers to make a left-handed single bevel knife for under 300?

Hobohemian fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 16, 2013

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Edit:double post.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

I am not really sure. I definitely like the more flat edge - I'm not a huge "rocker" when I cut, so I find them more suitable to getting clean cuts. I also try to be fairly precise when I cut, so the length of the average santoku is just about right for me to cut the maximum amount of vegetables/whatever that I'd handle at one time. like, I'll push cut 5-6 sticks of celery at once, bunched up as tightly as possible with my hand. to do that with a chef's knife, I'd have to use the part of the knife up against the bolster, and to rock cut that amount of stuff, the knife angle up off the board feels awkward to me.

If I'm doing a ton of prep though, like I have to break down 10lbs of carrots or something, don't get me wrong - definitely going with a chef's knife or gyuto there. just for my average meal though, I tend to be more precise and work quicker with a more nimble, flatter edged knife.

honestly also, I don't think about it that much. I just reach for a knife, and find myself always reaching for a santoku.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Hobohemian posted:

I have this knife on my "to buy" list, might be up your alley. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/fufkmbo14.html

While on the Subject of Fujiwara knives, how do you guys think they stack up to their price equivalent Tojiros? I'm left-handed and I really, really dislike those d shaped handles. Also, would it kill any of these knife manufacturers to make a left-handed single bevel knife for under 300?

I haven't used any Tojiros before but I really like my carbon Fujiwara sujihiki. Takes a wicked edge and holds it quite well. I'm pretty sure they're not ambidextrous though, in terms of blade shape. Slight rounding on the right hand side and flat on the left side with something like a 70/30 bevel.

Harsh Tokerman
Oct 25, 2004
The deal ended, but I will say that I've been finding many knives cheaper on amazon than other sites. Sometimes they're sold through third parties in japan for example so shipping can take awhile.

Harsh Tokerman fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 21, 2013

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So, for Christmas, I got a little cash to buy my first proper chef's knife. While trying to decide whether an eight or ten inch Victorinox Fibrox would be a better fit for me, I realized I would need an idea of scale, and I recalled that my parents had an old chef's knife hidden somewhere under the organizer in the cutlery drawer that hadn't seen light in years. Turned out it was a Wusthof, and it was not in the best of shape.

Yes, a lot of the tip is missing. There's a few chips (small, nicks really) but what concerns me most is this:

It looks almost as if someone tore the edge like it was paper. The knife was likely a wedding present to my parents, as my mother would never buy a knife that nice given how my father treats our current cookware--which is why I'm only buying a forty dollar knife :cheeky:

Anyway, Knife Thread, do you think this knife can be saved? The tip is obviously a lost cause, but do you think this knife is still worth taking to a sharpener?

DamienChilde
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
I don't see any reason that can't be fixed. Both the tear and the tip. But to erase the damage the damaged parts are going to have to be ground off and the shape of the blade re-created. Ideally re-shaped to mimic the original design.

Send it to a professional, there are plenty of services you can find online.
I recommend Murray Carter, who charges $20+S&H.
http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanese-knives/knife-sharpening-service/knife-sharpening

I'm sure others know of services they can vouch for too.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
How much should I stay away from those easy as gently caress tungsten carbide thingies?

DamienChilde
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran

DJ Dizzy posted:

How much should I stay away from those easy as gently caress tungsten carbide thingies?

Are you talking about pull through sharpeners?

They have a tendency to remove more metal than necessary to sharpen, so pull through sharpeners can shorten the lifespan of a knife compared to other methods.
You can also get finer, custom edges with other methods, while a pull through is a single abrasive, with a fixed geometry.

That said, using one of those is better than throwing a dull knife away.
I personally would not use that method frequently on any knife I felt I had an investment in.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Mr. Fowl posted:

The tip is obviously a lost cause

The trick to fixing a knife tip is to flip the knife over and grind the top of the knife down until it meets the endpoint of the break.

High_Life
Sep 19, 2004

MIND GAMES...
For whatever it's worth from a non regular GWS poster... I love the poo poo out of my 10pc Shun set. So much so that I got the "pro" quality yanagiba for my sushi. I like the look, didn't care about the price, and know how to use them.

I cook two dinners a night, one for me and one for the wife, and entertain regularly. Not a single compliant, except that when my family members use my knives stitches are involved. "No mom...you don't have to saw the pepper... Just move the blade through it...not into your hand!"

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Sort of a transition cross-post from the product recommendation thread

I got a sizable gift card to a cooking store and made the impulse purchase of a Shun Pro 8.25" Deba. Most of the time when I get the opportunity to cook, I end up breaking down a chicken and prepping vegetables, and the description said it was built to stand up to fish bones at least, so I got it. For storage I got a Lamsonsharp Knifesafe. I have no other cutlery. Please critique my choice.

Also, whether or not I end up using this as my main knife, I want this thing to last pretty much forever. It has a single bevel edge, do I hone it differently? Should I get a particular type of whetstone, or sharpen it a certain way? This is the first knife I've ever had that cost more than like 30 dollars, I really want to protect this investment.

DamienChilde
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
I say, don't sharpen it yourself.
Shun will resharpen their knives for free, all you have to do is send it to them when needed.
And since it's a good steel, that you are going to take care of, that could be months.

If you really want to learn to sharpen a single bevel, I would hope you get all the trial and error out on another, less attractive knife.

It's a very pretty knife.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah I agree, I hadn't really thought of it but I'd be better off learning on cheap knives. Plus, I had no idea Shun would sharpen their knives for free! Gives me some incentive to get more of their stuff later. Any tips on how I should use a honing steel on a single bevel? Or should I just be okay being rough on this one and sending it in when it gets dull? From what I read on the internet, the alloy Shun uses for this line stands up particularly well to abuse without losing its edge very easily, but I dunno the reasons why.

DamienChilde
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
I don't think a honing steel is the right tool for a single bevel. A round steel kind of folds a tip back and forth, and is not as much sharpening, as correcting a rolled edge. I'm going to go as far as to say, don't use your honing rod (on that knife) until you really know what your are doing.

You are going to want a very flat surface to sharpen the edge when needed. To do a single bevel right, you need to create a burr and then knock it off.

I would recommend a waterstone for this, and Shun sells some. You can get less expensive waterstones that are the same grit as the shun ones, I am very happy with king brand stones which you can find on amazon.

Bladeforums has a good tutorial on sharpening single bevel knives.

VG10 is a very good steel, its stainless so if its not bone dry wont tarnish, and shouldn't need oil. It's also very hard, so it holds the edge you put on it. But its not so forgiving that if you rub it against an abrasive stone it wont dull (or even mar) the shiny finish on your knife. So use the knife for cutting things, that's what it's for, rough cut that chicken and vegetables. But don't be rough when trying to sharpen, that would be a shame.

DamienChilde fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 28, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

DamienChilde posted:

VG10 is a very good steel, its stainless so if its not bone dry wont tarnish, and shouldn't need oil. It's also very hard, so it holds the edge you put on it. But its not so forgiving that if you rub it against an abrasive stone it wont dull (or even mar) the shiny finish on your knife. So use the knife for cutting things, that's what it's for, rough cut that chicken and vegetables. But don't be rough when trying to sharpen, that would be a shame.

Oh god no, I wouldn't begin sharpening without lots of research. I was more talking about being rough when actually using the thing. I'm not about to go chopping carrots on a glass "cutting board" though.

Thanks, it sounds like this is exactly the type of knife I was looking for! From my understanding this should be a very low maintenance device so long as I don't gently caress it up

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Received a Tojiro DP guyto 240mm for the holidays and I realized that all of my cutting boards (bamboo, plastic) are probably not ideal. I'd love to get a giant end-grain board for the counter, but that's not probably in the cards financially at the moment, at least looking at the Boardsmith boards. Is there a cheaper alternative? It doesn't have to be particularly beautiful. If not, is Sani-tuff the best option?

Oddly enough, chefknivestogo.com seems to be based across the street from my old apartment in the city I grew up in and am currently visiting. Free shipping got it here in less than 24 hours.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

DamienChilde posted:

Shun will resharpen their knives for free, all you have to do is send it to them when needed.

I did this once and only once. I was without knives for a couple months. They've since canceled and reinstated the program, so maybe it's faster now.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

marmot25 posted:

Received a Tojiro DP guyto 240mm for the holidays and I realized that all of my cutting boards (bamboo, plastic) are probably not ideal. I'd love to get a giant end-grain board for the counter, but that's not probably in the cards financially at the moment, at least looking at the Boardsmith boards. Is there a cheaper alternative? It doesn't have to be particularly beautiful. If not, is Sani-tuff the best option?

Oddly enough, chefknivestogo.com seems to be based across the street from my old apartment in the city I grew up in and am currently visiting. Free shipping got it here in less than 24 hours.

The Sweethome recommends this one for things you can eat raw and this one for meats.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The Sweethome recommends this one for things you can eat raw and this one for meats.

Screw those, get this.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
For what it's worth, I'm a heathen vegetarian and never prep meat/fish.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Boris Galerkin posted:

They also recommend a teak board which is a terrible idea unless you hate your knives.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

Has anyone used/bought one of these: http://www.jawleathergoods.com/#/shop/4568768008/Handmade-Leather-Knife-Roll---Large/867193 ?

I love the look of it but the only thing I'd be worried about is that the knife slots are, as with cheap canvas rolls, held in place with string.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Look what I got!

This is a Moritaka Ishime nakiri. The Ishime line is made exclusively for a shop called Knifewear which has a few locations across Canada and an online shop. The nakiri is for vegetables, and since we don't eat a lot of meat around here and I didn't have this kind of knife, I went for it instead of a gyuto. I also picked up a ceramic honing rod and will be on the lookout for a better cutting board, but in the meantime this green one should be soft enough.

As someone whose most expensive knife before this one was about $25, this knife is...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
this thread makes me want knives when I just got a new knife like 2 months ago and really don't need any more knives :<

my wife's family has a mountain vacation house that we go to pretty regularly and I've started justifying potential purchases in my head like 'well, you know, they really don't have any good knives up at the cabin, so I could just gift them my old cleaver and buy a new one..................'

aaaaa make it stop

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
this must be what the crazy people who own like 20 guns feel like

heh heh but it's not crazy when it's cooking knives right guys???? righttttt?????

Harsh Tokerman
Oct 25, 2004
My $20 240mm Tojiro gyuto came in the mail this week, and it's a lot better than I was prepared for. It's nice not having to use any pressure to cut a thing. I held it upside down and dropped a bell pepper on it just to see what would happen, and it split in half while I felt no pressure on the blade. Now all of my other knives are utter poo poo and I have to buy more knives to replace them.

I got a saya and a ceramic rod for it, because as far as I can tell you can't get a glass honing rod unless you know someone who can fabricate one for you. Is that correct, or are there some I can buy online?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

great. now I'm GAS-ing for more knives. Thanks bombhand :P

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

No Wave posted:

My understanding is that they're the best knife at the price point. And significantly better than 98% of the knives that people in America use. Isn't it likely that it would constitute a huge step up for almost anyone who buys them?

Not like this knife needs more support, but. I've used my Victorinox around a lot of people, and the only people who aren't completely amazed are WASPs who can afford to have their lovely knives professionally sharpened on a regular basis. For the vast majority of households the Victorinox is a look at the world of real chef's knives, at Wal-Mart prices. A+ #1 recommendation for all* starters.

My dad knew how to use a whetstone, so I'm familiar with the range up to shaving sharp blades. Pulling an Accusharp across my Victorinox is redneck-style "good enough". It's like having a "sharp" pocketknife- it's not shaving sharp, but it actually does the cutting you need done. Yes, the Victorinox/Accusharp sucks for tomatoes, but until you have enough experience to know the difference between the knife causing the issue and your technique causing the issue, I'd still vote 'nox.

*Unless you have the balls to go Chinese cleaver, or if you're thinking Santoku/gyuto. When I'm ready to get a "real" knife, I think I'm going cleaver. Hacking veggies then transporting them to the pan is so :awesome:

Having said all that, is it really worth it to recommend stepping up in paring knives? I got the Victorinox parer in a combo pack, and I like it even more than the chef's knife. Admittedly all I tend to pull it out for is rough chopping garlic or... paring potatoes or whatever, but it's become my best buddy. Maybe that's just my inner redneck being so excited that a cheap knife does a decent job. The handle is small for my bear-mitts, but I find it's a good shape to wedge in my fingers and go to town, never had an issue. Seems like the perfect compliment to a good starter knife.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

mindphlux posted:

this must be what the crazy people who own like 20 guns feel like

heh heh but it's not crazy when it's cooking knives right guys???? righttttt?????

With guns you have your rifle, that's fine. But you could also get a shotgun. And your cousin knows a guy who can get an AR-15 for cheap, so that's a must. And you've always wanted to try a bolt-action sniper so you get a WWII piece. And ooh, a guy knows a guy that can get an AK that's modded to be legal. But you couldn't get an AK, that would just be... dirty...

So you've got your chef's knife, that's cool. But you always wanted to try a Chinese cleaver. But that was a stainless steel, the carbon would be a lot of fun to play with. And I am thinking about cooking some fish so maybe I can get one of those crazy Japanese katana things. Ooh, that's a drat pretty Japanese knife. But that's so expensive... getting that would just be.... dirty...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

revdrkevind posted:

With guns you have your rifle, that's fine. But you could also get a shotgun. And your cousin knows a guy who can get an AR-15 for cheap, so that's a must. And you've always wanted to try a bolt-action sniper so you get a WWII piece. And ooh, a guy knows a guy that can get an AK that's modded to be legal. But you couldn't get an AK, that would just be... dirty...

So you've got your chef's knife, that's cool. But you always wanted to try a Chinese cleaver. But that was a stainless steel, the carbon would be a lot of fun to play with. And I am thinking about cooking some fish so maybe I can get one of those crazy Japanese katana things. Ooh, that's a drat pretty Japanese knife. But that's so expensive... getting that would just be.... dirty...

yanagi's arent like AK's. AKs are like...idk, maybe a wa deba.

yanagi's are like buying an H&K. Wow so pretty, so awesome, so...expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This is an awesome derail :tfrxmas:

• Locked thread