Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Negromancer posted:

Really? I have never had any luck with traction control in the snow. It snowed maybe an inch recently and I had to turn off the traction control in my JSW since it was pissing me off. I could drive around OK with it on, but it was much easier to get around without it. Hell, my buddy used to have a e36 328ci that refused to move in the snow with the traction control on, but turn it off and we hooned about all over seattle in it.

It's pretty terrible in corners but straight line? I just push the long skinny pedal and the car pulls like it's nothing. Of the vehicles I've driven in my career, only AWD+studs has been better for picking up speed on snow.

I don't really keep up on implementation differences between makers though, maybe Toyota's is better suited to snow or something. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

xzzy posted:

It's pretty terrible in corners but straight line? I just push the long skinny pedal and the car pulls like it's nothing. Of the vehicles I've driven in my career, only AWD+studs has been better for picking up speed on snow.

I don't really keep up on implementation differences between makers though, maybe Toyota's is better suited to snow or something. :iiam:

Maybe, I was having issues starting from a stop. Hit the gas and the traction control light goes crazy and I can barely accelerate, turn it off and I can go just fine. Granted this is on a tdi, so the extra torque is prolly freaking out the system.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Negromancer posted:

Maybe, I was having issues starting from a stop. Hit the gas and the traction control light goes crazy and I can barely accelerate, turn it off and I can go just fine. Granted this is on a tdi, so the extra torque is prolly freaking out the system.

I have the same issue in my GTI. It barely goes in slushy weather from a stop, the TC light just goes nuts. Turn it off, spin the wheels, get some bite, and I can start accelerating. Once I'm above 10 mph, I turn it back on and it works great taking care of slipping while I'm moving.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

bolind posted:

Are the lifts even linked so they at least run in unison?

Slight derail, but they had these on one of Jay Leno's videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz5Y34fUjlA

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Deeters posted:

Because of the snowstorm set to pound New England today and tomorrow, I decided to take a picture of the corner I live on.

It doesn't look like that bad of a corner, right? Speed limit is 30, I've gone around it at 40 without any problems (in the dry). But someone crashes on it every storm, even a couple in light rain. I didn't realize it until I got inside, but I think you can see tracks where someone slid right around my neighbor's mailbox. Both telephone poles in the shot have been replaced within the past two years. And here's the pole at the end of my driveway from a storm last year:

And my mailbox from 5 years ago:

I don't have any pictures of the cars because they both drove away. Needless to say, it's a very entertaining corner to live on.

I'm pretty sure you should dig a 6 foot hole, drop a 10 footer of 6x6 3/8 wall steel box tube into it, fill the hole with concrete, and weld a piece of 10x14 1/4 wall box tube (or whatever sharkytm used for his mailbox) across the top as a mailbox. Car, beer bottle, baseball bat, and bomb proof.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Do you really want to put an immovable pole in a spot where cars are known to go the road at? I mean, losing your mailbox sucks, but severely injuring someone to prevent it doesn't seem like the correct solution.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Survival of the fittest :smug:

(I'm only partially kidding here, I get really tired of stupid people.)

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008
If they hit it hard enough to be seriously injured they were almost certainly going way too fast for conditions. We ended up fortifying our mailbox after the umpteenth time the neighbor's rear end in a top hat contractors/friends backed into it and drove off. It's now been several years and, strangely, nobody has hit it despite most of the same fuckwits still driving around.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

What you should do is space two immovable poles far apart and string a boxing ring style elastic rope between them. Bonus points for wiring up a tension sensor to a bunch of lights and ringers like a pinball machine.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'd love to fortify my mailbox, but it surprisingly hasn't been hit since then. The other mailboxes take the hit, or the car goes into the telephone pole. My dad and I took the :effort: route and just dropped it back into the hole it got knocked out of.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm looking forward to the snow over here so I can listen to people at work complain how their hybrids refuse to move in the snow due to over-active, permanently-enabled traction control :allears:

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

There's a startup procedure for my mom's 04 Prius to disable the TC. It's long and leaves an error message on the screen, but doing silent burnouts and watching people react to a hooning Prius is hilarious.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

I'm pretty sure you should dig a 6 foot hole, drop a 10 footer of 6x6 3/8 wall steel box tube into it, fill the hole with concrete, and weld a piece of 10x14 1/4 wall box tube (or whatever sharkytm used for his mailbox) across the top as a mailbox. Car, beer bottle, baseball bat, and bomb proof.

After mine was hit I contemplated adding a coil spring to the bottom for that nice bo-yoing action when it gets hit next. It may look great in the wind too.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

StormDrain posted:

After mine was hit I contemplated adding a coil spring to the bottom for that nice bo-yoing action when it gets hit next. It may look great in the wind too.

..until some liquored up teenager decides to smack it with a bat and sues you for their broken radius. :v:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah the second you do something like that is the second someone gets an injury attorney and makes your life hell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Slap a warning label on it and you're fine.

"Do Not Taunt. Professional Mailbox on a Closed Course."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Deeters posted:

I'd love to fortify my mailbox, but it surprisingly hasn't been hit since then. The other mailboxes take the hit, or the car goes into the telephone pole. My dad and I took the :effort: route and just dropped it back into the hole it got knocked out of.

In Canada, we are just making individual mailboxes obsolete. This is the superior option because the community mailboxes are more burly and cause more damage to today's larger, more armored vehicles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsLt783_J0U

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I have no idea how bombproof mailbox tort laws vary between states. All I know up north I don't see many. In the deep south and on the West coast, they're sitting on the side of the road, like brick middle fingers to the sky. Just cross me. :clint: So dependent on geography, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not a social Darwinist though because that would imply that I believe someone willing to drive with a .30 or something BAC has the ability to learn and evolve.

Also I have a ten hour drive up through the east coast this weekend, weather should be great!

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 3, 2014

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Took this while drivingparked safely on an expressway on-ramp. It took me drat near an hour to get to this point(normally less than a 5 minute ride) only to slowly crawl for another hour or so once we eventually did get moving:

Winter in Chicagoland :allears:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Root Bear posted:

Took this while drivingparked safely on an expressway on-ramp. It took me drat near an hour to get to this point(normally less than a 5 minute ride) only to slowly crawl for another hour or so once we eventually did get moving:

Winter in Chicagoland :allears:

poo poo, and I was bitching about driving out of there at 40 mph yesterday afternoon.

Though the people chilling at 35 on a 55 mph road in Central IL when there was little more than blown powder on the road...

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

I have no idea how bombproof mailbox tort laws vary between states. All I know up north I don't see many. In the deep south and on the West coast, they're sitting on the side of the road, like brick middle fingers to the sky. Just cross me. :clint: So dependent on geography, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not a social Darwinist though because that would imply that I believe someone willing to drive with a .30 or something BAC has the ability to learn and evolve.

Also I have a ten hour drive up through the east coast this weekend, weather should be great!

I had a neighbor with a brick mailbox at the perfect spot in a turn for it to get nailed. It got taken out about half a dozen times over the course of the last 3-4 years I lived there and I'm not sure what or who was doing it, but it would throw chunks of bricks 25-30ft down the road.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

"Keep Christ in Christmas" bumper sticker.

Left a note under their wiper.
"I'm pretty sure Christ wouldn't double park."

This vehicle captures the essence of a type of stereotyped Florida.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 3, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those are fun when the gap is big enough to wedge your car into.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Got cut off by a pearlescent white wannabe rich person mobile with no lights this morning while driving in a blizzard, that was fun.

Then some retard in a new forester cut me off 5 minutes later.

Both doing 20 under the speed I was traveling at (which was already rather slow) and both without a blinker or even a glance as far as I could tell.

Asshats, I really don't want to rearend you, it will suck for both of us.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Those are fun when the gap is big enough to wedge your car into.

I always try to wedge my vehicle with my passenger side against their driverside. Climb over your console you gently caress!

ding my door because youre pissed? no fucks given, rocks do it all the time.

bonus points if someone blocks their passenger side too.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

I always try to wedge my vehicle with my passenger side against their driverside. Climb over your console you gently caress!

I did this once when I was in a strip mall getting some incense from a smoke shop. I fit my car perfectly in my spot, but this camry was parked into my space. So I closed the gap until there was about 2" between the doors.

I start my shopping and I hear this commotion from outside. It's this morbidly obese woman who really cant even squeeze herself between the cars, let alone open her door. So she tries the passenger side. Problem is, with being nearly 350lbs, she couldn't quite get over. That and her car was full of Arbys wrappers so there was no room. So she gives up. She then proceeds to go store by store and shout at everyone there "WHO'S CAR IS PARKED HERE?!" Finally she reached the smoke shop (which was actually where she parked in front of).

:byodame: "WHO PARKED NEXT TO MY CAR?!"
:smug: "I did, how can I help you?"
:byodame: "I can't get into my car!! You blocked me in!!"
:smug: "Oh I see the confusion here; you failed to park in your spot, where as I correctly parked in mine"
:byodame: "You going to move your car so I can get in?"
:smug: "Of course not. I am have not finished taking care of all my business"
:byodame: "MOVE YOUR CAR!! YOUR BLOCKING ME IN!!"

At this point, I ignore her and go back to picking out my incense. Stick by stick. Angry bitch goes back outside, as if to try to speed things up. She starts yelling and making more of a scene outside before she storms back in.

:byodame: "MOVE YOUR CAR!!"
:smug: "When I'm done. I'm not done yet"

She starts yelling again so I calmly walk over to the shopkeep and start the purchasing process. I struck up a conversation with the shopkeeper about how great a day it is outside and if he had any plans for the upcoming weekend while Angry Bitch is losing her poo poo at the front of the shop.

I pay and wrap things up and slowly walk by the Angry Bitch and out the door. Angry Bitch follows me out, all the meantime shouting at me. When we get outside we stop and look at the two cars. I turned to her and asked her in my best "daddy voice", "Now then, what have we learned from this experience?" She didn't reply. I told her, "You could have taken an extra 10 seconds to park your car properly in this spot and avoided all this trouble. But you didn't; because you are lazy. Look what your laziness brought you. You come here, and shout at my in front other people and I don't even know who you are and I could care less who you are. You chose this, you live with the consequences."

At that point, I went ahead and opened my car door and climbed inside. Then I slowly adjusted the seat, picked a good album to listen to on my ipod, and slowly backed up. She follows the front of my car all the way up to nearly her door then I stopped. She was sooo close; she could reach the door handle!

Angry Bitch looked up at my and I rolled down my window, looked at her and said "gently caress you and people like you" and slowly drove off as she was shouting at me in the parking lot.

I haven't laughed so hard at someone being an idiot in a very long time, but this woman had it coming.

TL,DR;
Angry Bitch couldn't park, so got boxed in. Angry Bitch tried to get me to move so she could squeeze into her car, and I refused to move, in fact took my sweet time. Schadenfreude ensues.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah I'm going to go out on a limb and say that didn't happen how you described.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I did basically the exact same thing, except it was at college, during finals. I finished my exam early, came back to her in her car, keying mine. She runs when I flash the unlock lights, I get her plate, the cops run them, and help me get the dad to pay for repairs.

... and then everyone in the theater gave me a standing ovation, of course.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

Yeah I'm going to go out on a limb and say that didn't happen how you described.

Sure did. I just got off work and had a bad day, so she got to deal with grumpy me. But hey, this is the internet so if you think it happened differently, that's fine too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was at the store with my sister and parked next to someone who parked on the line. There wasn't much space, but you could walk between the cars. They were at the car when we got back annoyed they couldn't get in. She said something along the lines of "you can't get into your car either", to which my sis slid between the cars, opened the door, and hopped in with one motion without dinging the other car.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I parked my motorcycle in those half-stalls a couple times until I realized that if someone is okay with parking like a jerk, they are also probably ok with dooring my bike by accident or on purpose.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

cursedshitbox posted:

While I have never had that happen, I can't figure out why people would squeeze me in when I was driving my F250 beater. I mean for gently caress's sake people, it looks like it's been through a war, there isn't a straight loving panel on the drat thing, including the roof, and you aren't going to park in your spot so I can get in? Does it look like I am going to really give a flying gently caress about what paint is left on the door when I have to wedge it open so I can fit into my truck?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InterceptorV8 posted:

While I have never had that happen, I can't figure out why people would squeeze me in when I was driving my F250 beater. I mean for gently caress's sake people, it looks like it's been through a war, there isn't a straight loving panel on the drat thing, including the roof, and you aren't going to park in your spot so I can get in? Does it look like I am going to really give a flying gently caress about what paint is left on the door when I have to wedge it open so I can fit into my truck?

When I was driving my 97 Impreza I once parked next to a pricey new Acura SUV at a restaurant (perfectly normally, plenty of room, inside the lines, straight as an arrow) and then got a window seat. During the meal I was able to watch the SUV owner take one look at my car, sneer and then rush to hold the door so her kids wouldn't ding my car and damage their paint with my rusty shitbox.

I didn't know whether I should be pleased, insulted, or entertained.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

When I was driving my 97 Impreza I once parked next to a pricey new Acura SUV at a restaurant (perfectly normally, plenty of room, inside the lines, straight as an arrow) and then got a window seat. During the meal I was able to watch the SUV owner take one look at my car, sneer and then rush to hold the door so her kids wouldn't ding my car and damage their paint with my rusty shitbox.

I didn't know whether I should be pleased, insulted, or entertained.

One of my friends with an XJ parked "too close" to some idiot who couldn't figure out how to park straight and happened to be in the jeep when they came out. Driver got all mouthy and when he replied in kind, they intentionally doored him, HARD.

Except it was a regular sedan vs a lifted XJ with 1/4" thick box tube welded in in place of the rocker panels, so they scuffed his (already mildly rock rashed) rocker armor a tiny bit and dented the poo poo out of their door lip :v:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Try being responsible for a parking lot and having all the people pissed at idiot parking take it out on you. I've had people threaten to sue me if their car gets dinged :v:

I'm all for having nice cars, but people that care more about their cars than their loving children really irk me. MY CAR BETTER NOT GET SCRATCHED OR ILL KILL BABY ANIMALS AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

kastein posted:

One of my friends with an XJ parked "too close" to some idiot who couldn't figure out how to park straight and happened to be in the jeep when they came out. Driver got all mouthy and when he replied in kind, they intentionally doored him, HARD.

Except it was a regular sedan vs a lifted XJ with 1/4" thick box tube welded in in place of the rocker panels, so they scuffed his (already mildly rock rashed) rocker armor a tiny bit and dented the poo poo out of their door lip :v:

Same thing happened to the sliders on my lifted cherokee. Bonus was I was napping in the backseat between classes so not only did they gently caress up their door, but I also scared the poo poo out of them when I sat up and asked what the gently caress they were doing to my car.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Atticus_1354 posted:

Same thing happened to the sliders on my lifted cherokee. Bonus was I was napping in the backseat between classes so not only did they gently caress up their door, but I also scared the poo poo out of them when I sat up and asked what the gently caress they were doing to my car.

Wait, did you tell this story on a certain club/association forum with a grey and red theme a year or two ago?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Uthor posted:

I was at the store with my sister and parked next to someone who parked on the line. There wasn't much space, but you could walk between the cars. They were at the car when we got back annoyed they couldn't get in. She said something along the lines of "you can't get into your car either", to which my sis slid between the cars, opened the door, and hopped in with one motion without dinging the other car.

This is thin privilege.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

kastein posted:

Wait, did you tell this story on a certain club/association forum with a grey and red theme a year or two ago?

I dont think so. I haven't been on many xj forums since I sold it a couple years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I was parked somewhere last summer, and when I came back to my car there was a fuckoff huge SUV (expedition I think) parked next to me, offset in the space so that I could only just barely squeeze between and get in my car. He had an extremely dirty back window and I had a bottle of window cleaner so I expressed my displeasure by writing something along the lines of "Nice parking job fuckstick :)" on his back window. Passive aggressive I know, but I couldn't resist. I hope his 4 kids (going by the stickers on said dirty window) appreciated it.