Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Well, it's worth noting it's an Action-RPG with couch Co-op, which seems to be becoming a rarer and rarer thing these days.

And just personally I quite enjoyed it. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Boggus posted:

Just make Chris Avellone write the romances. All of them.
So every romance will end up with a broken heart, grudges and a general loss of your faith in this strange emotion called love? I can roll with that!

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

GetWellGamers posted:

Well, it's worth noting it's an Action-RPG with couch Co-op, which seems to be becoming a rarer and rarer thing these days.

And just personally I quite enjoyed it. :)

I enjoy it too, but all the things that make it great aren't what make a great game. That is, gameplay is slow and kludgey, animations take too long and the pacing is more like Baldur's Gate than Diablo. I find it fun in spite of these things but no Diablo-clone is going to look to DS3 for gameplay ideas.

The things that ARE good are the things you already know Obsidian is good at: it's not a story about killing God, it has politics that have interesting reverberations in the world, your characters have a real place in the world rather than being a small-town boy whose village is immediately destroyed, and it has legit moral grayness. ("Legit moral grayness" means that they have made a complex world and populated it with identifiable characters rather than the Bioware-style easily-explained world that they then try to throw complex situations into, that of course seem out of place and awkward.) The character building choices are also interesting but far from earth-shaking.

But if you've played DS1 or DS2 it is absolutely hilarious to compare all the world-building Obsidian did to the earlier games.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
It does have some hilarious dumb UI decisions though - like forcing players to stay on the same screen even when they're playing coop from different computers. You can hack the game and disable it, but it's stupid that it's the default anyway. There's also some dumb camera decisions and UI issues.

The gameplay is solid though, especially the whole power-up mechanic that's very much like EX moves in fighting games.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
Mr ropekid, would you please let us know if we can name our saved games slots?

Octo1
May 7, 2009
And whether or not saves for different characters would be displayed/grouped separately from each other? It's annoying when you have multiple characters but just one list.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Yes! Playing Skyrim now and it's such a nuisance having to figure out which of my characters a save is for.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Chairchucker posted:

Yes! Playing Skyrim now and it's such a nuisance having to figure out which of my characters a save is for.

I had the same problem with Diablo, so glad they fixed it in 2 along with formations.

Aratoeldar posted:

Mr ropekid, would you please let us know if we can name our saved games slots?

I actually kinda miss this, even though most of my saves were named fgdgds and new.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Disco Infiva posted:

I had the same problem with Diablo, so glad they fixed it in 2 along with formations.

I actually kinda miss this, even though most of my saves were named fgdgds and new.

I had saves in Icewind Dale II named "Oh god I keep on starting new games." :smith:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yes, you will be able to name your games and the saves will be grouped by PC. Additionally, Trial of Iron save games use a metal texture instead of wood. :getin:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
My Wizard will definitively use Guns.

J.E. Sawyer on 1/1/2014 2:34 PM posted:

Correct. Any class can use any gear, though classes often have bonuses with specific types of weapons (e.g. wizards gain bonuses with wands, rods, and sceptres via their Blast passive AoE ability).

Little bit of lore!

J.E. Sawyer on 1/1/2014 8:43 PM posted:

quote:

Hello there everyone! Another item backer here.
A few questions for Josh regarding the backstory of my planned item.
Even though I'm creating a backstory for an item, some part of it regards the character who wielded it and therefor have questions relating to that.

1. Naming an orlan. I looked at your post a few pages back regarding names and they seemed to be categorized culturally (or regionally) and not racially. Does that mean an orlan could very well have the same name as a human (or did I totally missunderstand?)? And is it possible to PM the (two) names that occur in the back story of my item to see if they fit the setting at all (I think my names might be way offside)?

2. Military.
a)What can you say about the military structures in (or around) Dyrwood? Are there any armies (or perhaps slightly smaller units; regiment or brigades)?
b)If yes, are they structured like our armies are/were?
c)Are there any military forts (or equivalent) in Dyrwood?
d)Are the military units (regardless of size, I assume there are atleast minor units such as companies) tied to individuals (a warlord, a baron, a king, etc) or to a certain region or country?

3. Does lions exist in this setting?

1. Yes, people in the same culture often share names, regardless of race. Orlans dominantly come from a few areas: Eir Glanfath (where they tend to have Glanfathan names), the Dyrwood (Glanfathan or Aedyran names), and Ixamitl (loosely, Nahautl names). PM me your ideas.

a) There are quite a few military structures/fortified areas in the Dyrwood ranging from fortified cities to castles. The Dyrwood does not have a standing army, but many erls keep professional soldiers organized in groups the size of a platoon or (for high-conflict areas) a company even during peacetime. The Saint's War was fought in part by these private armies but dominantly with peasant soldiers. The Dozen, the twelve men and women who held Dana Eobhainn Bridge to ensure the destruction of St. Waidwen, were all peasants.

b) More-or-less yes, though there may be a few differences. The "lieutenant" rank in the Dyrwood uses the title "steadman" but is functionally the same. There are no subdivisions of steadman, sergeant, or corporal ranks.

c) Yes. Fortified communities are not uncommon, especially near the Dyrwood/Eir Glanfath border.

d) Professional armies serve their employers, who often are nobles (though sometimes simply wealthy individuals). Of course, all of those nobles pledge (and re-pledge) to serve the will of their elected duc. This does not always work in practice. When nobles levy armies in the Dyrwood, they only lawfully do so under a ducal order of conscription. The service that peasants pledge is to the duc and their country, not individual nobles. In practice, they always serve under regional nobles (typically erls and thayns). Erls and thayns hold hereditary positions. Ducs are elected by the seven erls.

3. Lions exist in this world, but are exotic in the Dyrwood. Staelgar are the dominant big cat in Eir Glanfath and the Dyrwood. They have a tiger-like build, lion-like mane and tail, "sabre" teeth, and a dark spotted coat.

Disco Infiva posted:

Mine are more like "Save 1" and then "gently caress this poo poo", "Bollocks", etc.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005

rope kid posted:

Yes, you will be able to name your games and the saves will be grouped by PC. Additionally, Trial of Iron save games use a metal texture instead of wood. :getin:

Thank you very much. :bravo:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Furism posted:

Mine are more like "Save 1" and then "gently caress this poo poo", "Bollocks", etc.

I'm too OCD to just name my saves 'sdfgdsfg' and the like. I have to label the location and current activity every time, which leads to stuff like:

Wilderness - Gorion Dead

Nashkel - Getting Jumped

New Reno - Boxing

New Reno - Fluffing

Mortuary - Fake Zombie?

Dustmen Bar - Hanging Out

It feels like I'm updating the Nameless One's twitter or something but I can't stop :negative:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Mine follow a strict formula of [Number of times I've run a game with this archetype][Archetype][Number of saves so far under this combination] in pretty much every game that lets me name saves. 1Paranoid1 must be the beginning of a Torment game where I decided to follow in the footsteps of an illustrious predecessor; 4Fighter12 means I need to start working on being more specific about what I'm going to do with my character when I start random BG2 games; 3TheSwordCoastIsOurOyster25 means I like running with a crew of Chaotic Neutral and Evil weirdos in BG1 far too much.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Mine tend towards 'jerks', 'argh die in a fire' and for when I roll up a new party, 'new jerks'.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Furism posted:

Ixamitl (loosely, Nahautl names)
Game of the Year

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

rope kid posted:

Are you going to do a New Game+ with more awesome items and nastier encounter makeup like in Icewind Dale 2?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Chairchucker posted:

You know you can hit ~ and then type

quote:

save savename

right?

That's the only way I save in Skyrim/New Vegas, and I generally name them after whatever character I'm playing:
FintilginExplores
FintilginCave2

etc.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

ropekid posted:

erls, thayns, ducs
Aww yiss that's what I'm tolkien aboot

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

rope kid posted:

GOTY

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

quote:

Correct. Any class can use any gear, though classes often have bonuses with specific types of weapons (e.g. wizards gain bonuses with wands, rods, and sceptres via their Blast passive AoE ability).

drat, was afraid of this. Was hoping to make a little AE blast every time my axe wizard hit something.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Chairchucker posted:

Fintilgin posted:

You know you can hit ~ and then type

right?

That's the only way I save in Skyrim/New Vegas, and I generally name them after whatever character I'm playing:
FintilginExplores
FintilginCave2

etc.

Disco Infiva posted:

Oh wow, this is embarrassing! For some reason I thought that he was joking about combat log saves, not save games. :saddowns:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

rope kid posted:

Tell whoever greenlit and implemented this feature that I am in love with them.

Make the text field default to "PCName - Timestamp" and I'll love him/her even more.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Did I ever finalise my pledge? I don't think so. :downs:

I'll probably wait a couple more weeks and then stick on an extra add-on on top.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013

rope kid posted:

Lovely, more RPGs should do this.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Parenthesis posted:

Lovely, more literally every single RPG should do this.

There we go.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/419176708864872448

What's Persistence, I wonder?

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

CrookedB posted:

What's Persistence, I wonder?

Whether an object is saved or not?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

My GDC Next talk (in video form) is free for a while.

http://gdcvault.com/play/1019680/Gathering-Your-Party-with-Project

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Glad to see that inventory size is just a number that can be changed/modded by changing a single value instead of the inventory size being locked because of inventory UI art style or something.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

rope kid posted:

Dope sweater, man.

So is that an ingame travel map at 7:12?

Megazver fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 4, 2014

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

It's a mock-up for the world map, nowhere near final.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There were two people familiar with Darklands in the audience... out of how many?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

rope kid posted:

Because you mention party NPC interactions in there: in the leaked Alien footage, there was a neat mechanic where you could respond to NPC's banter (if you wanted to) without it interrupting gameplay. Are you doing anything like that in PE?

(I guess it doesn't have as much value in PE because maintaining tension isn't as important as it'd be in an Aliens setting, but still)

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

rope kid posted:

The amount of "they get it" in this video is pretty much off the charts. The modernizations talked about are the in exactly the right areas: difficulty does not just tweak numbers, easing new players into the playstyle, diverse environments to reward exploration, efficient dialogue implementation used to make more meaningful conversations...

My only question is, do you think you could go back to doing heavily publisher mandated work after this?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This was pretty interesting. Do tell us if your other talks become available for free, I've been wanting to watch them for a while now. Maybe on your answer Tumblr thingy, so that it doesn't get lost in the thread?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

coffeetable posted:

Because you mention party NPC interactions in there: in the leaked Alien footage, there was a neat mechanic where you could respond to NPC's banter (if you wanted to) without it interrupting gameplay. Are you doing anything like that in PE?

(I guess it doesn't have as much value in PE because maintaining tension isn't as important as it'd be in an Aliens setting, but still)
I imagine substantial ambient bark conversations might be a bit out of their range, VA budget-wise.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Megazver posted:

There were two people familiar with Darklands in the audience... out of how many?
Maybe 30. The audience wasn't that big. GDC Next had a pretty low attendance overall.

coffeetable posted:

Nah, we're going to keep it BG-style for the most part.

Icept posted:

My only question is, do you think you could go back to doing heavily publisher mandated work after this?
With the right publisher and the right project, sure. Some publishers get weird ickies when they deal with RPGs because so few external producers have serious experience with them. They wind up asking for incredibly bad/not fun things because they don't really understand the genre (on PC, console, or otherwise).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

rope kid posted:

They wind up asking for incredibly bad/not fun things because they don't really understand the genre (on PC, console, or otherwise).

Well now I'm just super curious. What random poo poo do clueless publishers ask for in RPGs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
Thanks for letting us know the talk was available for viewing, rope kid - I enjoyed it!

I agree that based on it (and the recent site, and the backer updates, etc) I get a strong sense that Obsidian has a drat good handle on how to stretch the budget in the right directions. Making the (non-combat) interactions in the game text based affords such huge expressiveness at practically no cost (at least compared to say, a Mass Effect style game) that I really hope this will lead to a resurgence of using text as a communication medium in some corners of games. It's not suitable for the next Gears of War or whatever but surely it could be used better in character-heavy narrative based games than it is today.

• Locked thread