Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Lork posted:

Edit: One annoying thing though is that it'll remove songs from the playlist as soon the "Last played" info is updated, even if they're currently being played, which makes it annoying to find them. Is there some kind of expression I can throw in there to make them at least stick around until they've finished playing?

You could add %last_played% DURING LAST 10 MINUTES or something similar to the query.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Avenging Dentist posted:

You could add %last_played% DURING LAST 10 MINUTES or something similar to the query.
But that'll introduce the possibility that any song will be played multiple times in a short period of time even if I've rated it low specifically because I don't want to hear it very often. I realize that I'm kind of splitting hairs at this point, but I do want to try to get the optimal setup if I can.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Lork posted:

But that'll introduce the possibility that any song will be played multiple times in a short period of time even if I've rated it low specifically because I don't want to hear it very often. I realize that I'm kind of splitting hairs at this point, but I do want to try to get the optimal setup if I can.

I'm not sure it would actually do that if you're using Shuffle (as opposed to Random). I'm pretty sure Shuffle will try to play each song in the playlist once before repeating.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
I'm trying out foobar for the first time (coming from MediaMonkey), and I can't seem to get my music library to scan. It's a mix of mp3's and flac's with impeccable tags (ID3 for mp3 and Vorbis for flac) sorted in folders based on Album Artist/Album/000 Title.mp3 structure (the 3rd track number is for disc number). I plug in the path of my music folder, initializes for a while then switches to "Monitoring" and never adds anything to the library. I even tried restricting the file types to "*.MP3;*.FLAC".

This is happening with both latest beta and stable. No plugins yet except that sweet waveform seekbar that I want to try out but can't because none of my music is showing up.

Nevermind, I figured it out. It's definitely an adjustment coming from other players.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 1, 2013

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Beware using autoplaylists that have %last_played% in them if you have a large library. Maybe they've fixed it in recent versions of foobar, but a couple years ago I had a playlist similar to what you're describing and it would eat up 10-20% CPU even when foobar was idle, as it was constantly re-scanning my entire library.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'm not sure it would actually do that if you're using Shuffle (as opposed to Random). I'm pretty sure Shuffle will try to play each song in the playlist once before repeating.
That would prevent my favorite songs from playing more often, which is kind of why I'm doing all this rating fuckery in the first place, so I have it set to random. I suppose it's worth asking - if a song is removed from an autoplaylist and added again later, does the shuffle "remember" it or is it considered a new song?

quote:

Beware using autoplaylists that have %last_played% in them if you have a large library. Maybe they've fixed it in recent versions of foobar, but a couple years ago I had a playlist similar to what you're describing and it would eat up 10-20% CPU even when foobar was idle, as it was constantly re-scanning my entire library.
From the looks of it, my library is minuscule compared to those of most people in this thread, so that's probably not going to be a problem for me.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

You could also do something like %is_playing% OR (condition). That might work, even though it breaks if you're playing from another playlist.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Avenging Dentist posted:

You could also do something like %is_playing% OR (condition). That might work, even though it breaks if you're playing from another playlist.
That sounds like exactly what I need, but what does it evaluate to? Just doing %is_playing% OR (...) give me a syntax error, so it seems like I need to do %is_playing% IS [something] OR (...), I just need to know what that something is.

Edit: %is_playing% IS TRUE seems to have worked, but now I'll have to listen to some music to see if it actually works properly.

Lork fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Dec 2, 2013

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Whoops, it appears to be only useable in columns (and it's %isplaying%, actually). Not sure if you can get it to work in searches...

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Avenging Dentist posted:

Whoops, it appears to be only useable in columns (and it's %isplaying%, actually). Not sure if you can get it to work in searches...
Yeah, it doesn't work. Songs still disappear while they're playing regardless of which one I use. Too bad, that would have been perfect.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
So I've been using winamp for playback and foobar for other things, mostly just converting files to other formats.

The one reason I use winamp over foobar for playback is how it handles shuffled playlists, and I'd like to figure out how to get foobar to behave the way I want.

Let me try to explain:

In winamp if I have a shuffled playlist (1 2 3 4 5 6, in shuffled order, let's say) and I want to switch the current song it'll stay at the same point in the playlist.

So if 5 is playing and I decide I want to listen to 2 again, it'll play 2 then play 6. In foobar it'll play 2 then replay 3, 4, and 5. Similarly, if I choose to play 2 when 5 is playing and I hit back, it'll go to 4. In foobar it would go to 1.

Is there any kind of setting or plugin to get foobar to handle shuffled lists the same way winamp does? I often go back and listen to a song because I wasn't paying attention without replaying the last hour of music. Having to micromanage it in foobar just isn't worth the effort.

I looked for a solution a few years ago but just resigned myself to having two music players installed.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

You can enqueue a song and it'll get added to a special playback queue before resuming with the "normal" order. Right click > Add to playback queue.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Ephphatha posted:

You can enqueue a song and it'll get added to a special playback queue before resuming with the "normal" order. Right click > Add to playback queue.

Yeah that doesn't change anything, it'll still jump forwards/backwards in the shuffled playlist to the position of the song I added to the playback queue, like foobar did before.

I did some more searching and eventually turned up the idea of randomizing the playlist and using a "place after current" plugin. This seems to close enough to what I want that it's acceptable.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Desuwa posted:

Yeah that doesn't change anything, it'll still jump forwards/backwards in the shuffled playlist to the position of the song I added to the playback queue, like foobar did before.
What you'd want to do is queue the song that you want plus the current song that marks your position in the shuffle list. The playback queue plays everything in its list, but then returns to whatever the default next song is for the last track in the queue. So in your example you add 2 and then 5 to the queue, hit next to start playing 2, then you get 5 again (it would be ok though if you wait till a song change so you're returning to the song that was next on the list anyways).

quote:

I did some more searching and eventually turned up the idea of randomizing the playlist and using a "place after current" plugin. This seems to close enough to what I want that it's acceptable.
The authors of foobar seem to like randomizing the list itself instead of shuffle, so if you're ok with that you have the benefit of swimming with the current, as it were. A lot of people don't like randomized lists because they use UI plugins for fancy playlists with album art and stuff.

In foobar's defense, winamp's shuffle system is pretty idiosyncratic. I don't think any other player does that behavior. The problem is that AFAIK the playback order code is one of the areas that's not really exposed to the plugin api, so there's no way to add a winamp-imitation shuffle.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is milkdrop still available? The link in the OP is broken.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Bouchacha posted:

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=59388 is what you're looking for.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Also, how can I set it up so that the current playlist shown is always what's currently playing, even if I select something else on the Library list? I'm using SimPlaylist

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

Bouchacha posted:

Also, how can I set it up so that the current playlist shown is always what's currently playing, even if I select something else on the Library list? I'm using SimPlaylist

I'd like to second this question. I'd love a winamp/mediamonkey style Currently Playing playlist list window that doesn't move when I browse around the rest of the library. The closest thing I found was Queue Contents Editor but that's not quite it as far as I could tell.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 5, 2014

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

I'd like to second this question. I'd love a winamp/mediamonkey style Currently Playing playlist list window that doesn't move when I browse around the rest of the library. The closest thing I found was Queue Contents Editor but that's not quite it as far as I could tell.

What you probably want to do is turn off one or both of the highlighted options below. The first means that there is a playlist that is filled with whatever you have selected in the Library Viewer. The second means that every time you select something different this playlist becomes active.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Perfect! Thank you so much

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Bouchacha posted:

Updated the OP heer is a link to the milkdrop package you need http://goo.gl/PKqWKh

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

ledge posted:

What you probably want to do is turn off one or both of the highlighted options below. The first means that there is a playlist that is filled with whatever you have selected in the Library Viewer. The second means that every time you select something different this playlist becomes active.

Perfect! Thanks!

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

ledge posted:

Updated the OP heer is a link to the milkdrop package you need http://goo.gl/PKqWKh

Thanks so much, I gave up trying to figure out how to piece it together from a Winamp install.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is there a reliable coverflow plugin? Most of the ones I came across haven't been updated in years and rely on Panels.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Bouchacha posted:

Is there a reliable coverflow plugin? Most of the ones I came across haven't been updated in years and rely on Panels.

If you are fine with "sort of close enough" then there's one to embed album art into the playlist view

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

hifi posted:

If you are fine with "sort of close enough" then there's one to embed album art into the playlist view

I'm using that already and if that's the best it'll have to do.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
Is there a plugin similar to foo_dop that is compatible with the current generation of iPhones?

Reith
Jul 23, 2007

about_face posted:

Is there a plugin similar to foo_dop that is compatible with the current generation of iPhones?

Nope. I think people have been able to come up with really hacky ways to get foo_dop to mostly work with newer iPhones, but they involve having iTunes installed anyway.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
So I have a song that has an interlude that plays before it on the album, so it's actually two tracks. Is there a way I can make it always play the interlude first if the song comes up in the shuffle?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Yip Yips posted:

So I have a song that has an interlude that plays before it on the album, so it's actually two tracks. Is there a way I can make it always play the interlude first if the song comes up in the shuffle?
No.
You'd have to combine the two into a single track / file, which is a fairly simple procedure for most audio formats that doesn't require re-encoding or anything like that.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

You can merge the two tracks into a single one through foobar2000. Select them both, right click --> convert --> ... --> Destination --> select 'Merge all tracks into one output file'

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Works for me, thanks.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

You can merge the two tracks into a single one through foobar2000. Select them both, right click --> convert --> ... --> Destination --> select 'Merge all tracks into one output file'
This will re-encode the audio though, so unless you use a lossless codec it will lower the quality.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
What are the expressions like %artist% called, and where can I look up how that pseudo-language works? Specifically, I want to know what the right format for album artist is.

Reith
Jul 23, 2007

hooah posted:

What are the expressions like %artist% called, and where can I look up how that pseudo-language works? Specifically, I want to know what the right format for album artist is.

This is where I go whenever I need to find info about that stuff:

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Foobar2000:Title_Formatting_Reference

You can also go to Help -> Title formatting help inside foobar for a slightly less comprehensive reference.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ahh, title formatting. I could not for the life of me remember what the hell the name of that was, so I was having the damnedest time Googling.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have some albums that aren't being grouped properly. An example is the instrumental tracks disc from Dream Theater's "Black Clouds and Silver Linings" album. Here's a screenshot of the properties dialog:

Here's the ColumnsUI grouping format: $swapprefix(%artist%) - %album%

Where's the disconnect?

Reith
Jul 23, 2007
What do you mean it isn't being grouped properly? Is this happening in the playlist view or album list view?

Warning: I don't use ColumnsUI so I may be of limited help.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Reith posted:

What do you mean it isn't being grouped properly? Is this happening in the playlist view or album list view?

Warning: I don't use ColumnsUI so I may be of limited help.

All of the tracks from that disc (and almost all from the entire album except two) are displayed on their own group, rather than being grouped together. Don't know why I left that out, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hooah posted:

All of the tracks from that disc (and almost all from the entire album except two) are displayed on their own group, rather than being grouped together. Don't know why I left that out, sorry.

Check to make sure that the album name is exactly the same for each of those tracks.

• Locked thread