Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Things are not all well in Los Angeles, our freedoms are being taken away:
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-78740466/

i thought they were already banned. everytime I go grocery shopping in LA I have to buy paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

GrAviTy84 posted:

i thought they were already banned. everytime I go grocery shopping in LA I have to buy paper.

I have reusable bags, but I get the plastic ones to throw out trash because my baby apartment doesn't have space for a normal sized pail.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I always get paper because they're good for starting the wood stove.

/rural people problems

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I always get paper because they're good for starting the wood stove.

/rural people problems

Yep, I don't even bother with reusable bags in the fall and winter. I guess I could just buy a sunday paper once a month but I swear brown bags burn hotter then newsprint.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I think you guys are missing on the point that I have to buy paper bags in LA. They're not free. And there are no plastic bags. If you go shopping without a reusable you need to ask for paper (in specific quantities mind you) because it is a purchase and they can't just charge you.

I mean. I understand why its a thing. Its just a bit annoying.

Meanwhile here in riverside I buy a bag of cat food and it gets double bagged in plastic automatically if I don't remember to tell them I don't need it bagged fast enough.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:qq:Oh no

:fireman:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

it's the worst thing ever. EVER.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

If you go shopping without a reusable you need to ask for paper (in specific quantities mind you) because it is a purchase and they can't just charge you.

This is the only annoying part.

"How many bags do you need?"
"I dunno. This is what I bought. Enough bags for this."

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
whenever I used to go through a grocery line and they'd ask paper or plastic, I'd always say just 'whatever is easiest for you' (the minimum wage making worker)

I haven't been asked that question recently - I think mostly because I either shop at places that only use paper/renewables (whole foods, lovely smug places), or places that only use plastic (farmers markets)

but really, I mean, it seems to me anyone has a use for either of those materials - be it burning wood or toting a bottle of wine to a party or something in the case of paper - or picking up pet poo poo or using as an imprompeau glove in the case of plastic - so really I don't see why it much matters. unless you're an idiot and throw your both paper and plastic bags out without even thinking a second about it and then are later on like 'poo poo I need a bag for something, whelp, better go buy a bag'.

charging for a shopping bag though is just tacky. build it in to your grocery price structure. if you're explicitly not building it in to your grocery price structure just to make a point - well, you're probably building it in to your grocery price structure anyways even though you're pretending you're not - and you're a tremendous douchebag on top of that. wow. way to be a loving dick.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

mindphlux posted:

charging for a shopping bag though is just tacky. build it in to your grocery price structure. if you're explicitly not building it in to your grocery price structure just to make a point - well, you're probably building it in to your grocery price structure anyways even though you're pretending you're not - and you're a tremendous douchebag on top of that. wow. way to be a loving dick.

You actually just made a rational point I agree with. Good job phlux.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's a tax thing here. They have to charge for the bag per the city law.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Chemmy posted:

Yeah, same here. Only where I live there are two cities that are more or less the same city, but one side doesn't charge for bags. So every day I get people saying HO HO HO I GUESS WE DON'T HAVE TO PAY FOR THESE EH loving douchebags

This isn't a new law either, why wouldn't people just bring reusable bags?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
It's so not at all a big deal? It's been the case here in the Bay for quite a while (multiple years?) and it's pretty cool. Lotsa places have fancy corn plastic bags you can also use. But yeah, either bring your reusable bags (I've used them as long as I can remember because my mom was rad and you used to get these rad canvas tote kind that I love and hoard) or buy the paper/bioplastic one. I kept forgetting for a hot minute when it was easier to BART than drive to the store so I'd "punish" myself by making myself buy a new reusable one each time... I quickly remembered to bring them, or clipped one of the expandable ones to my key ring. EASY PEASY. And much less plastic in the loving ocean.

Pretty sure it's also the case all over Europe.

E: Just remembered it's also the case in Austin, so LA is lagging behind Texas in environmental policy.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

mindphlux posted:

In my city the same law that bans plastic bags also requires stores to charge for the paper ones

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

pile of brown posted:

In my city the same law that bans plastic bags also requires stores to charge for the paper ones

right, and it should definitely be within the realm of city-control to do something like that - just don't make it obnoxious to the consumer. if it's 7 cents for a bag, just tack it on like you would sales tax, don't be like 'hey would you like to royally gently caress the environment and entire world because you personally forgot to bring a renewable reusable bag to our store today? or would you like to pay 7 cents to kill loving dolphins like the stupid oval office you are?'

I mean even if the average consumer is a horrible stupid oval office killing dolphins via osmosis, I just think there's a better way to go about environmental change than smug self/corporate righteousness via individual paper/plastic bag saving.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mindphlux posted:

right, and it should definitely be within the realm of city-control to do something like that - just don't make it obnoxious to the consumer. if it's 7 cents for a bag, just tack it on like you would sales tax, don't be like 'hey would you like to royally gently caress the environment and entire world because you personally forgot to bring a renewable reusable bag to our store today? or would you like to pay 7 cents to kill loving dolphins like the stupid oval office you are?'

I mean even if the average consumer is a horrible stupid oval office killing dolphins via osmosis, I just think there's a better way to go about environmental change than smug self/corporate righteousness via individual paper/plastic bag saving.
I can't think of a better way to make people use fewer bags than to charge for them. It's a consumer decision, so if we want to see fewer bags used the consumer should explicitly bear the cost. It's one of the most sensible policies out there and I'd love to see it go nation-wide.

Not sure how you'd reduce bag use otherwise. I got a really sturdy tote bag for christmas and have some bigger bags for bigger purchases.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jan 5, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don't see why I should have to pay 7 cents on everything just because people like y'all don't want to pay for your own bags. Hell in Portland they actually pay you if you brought your own bags and that is awesome since I always bring my own bags.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 5, 2014

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I hope you guys complaining about paying for bags never go to Europe.

Here in Portland they actually pay you if you brought your own bags and that is awesome since I always bring my own bags.
It's the same thing, really (bags charged for vs. structured into price of goods). I just think making people pay for bags is a more effective way to signal to the consumer that they'd save money by bringing their own bags. I don't have any evidence except my own impression, of course.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
This is a purely American issue... We've been paying for bags forever.. One bag is around 50c

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

No Wave posted:

It's the same thing, really (bags charged for vs. structured into price of goods). I just think making people pay for bags is a more effective way to signal to the consumer that they'd save money by bringing their own bags. I don't have any evidence except my own impression, of course.

Yeah I totally agree with you. They don't charge for bags here but they have banned plastic bags completely so it's just paper, but I wish they would charge for that on too of giving you a refund for bringing your own bags (which only supermarkets do).

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I think unless you are below the poverty line that paying $.75 to bag $100 worth of groceries isnt going really matter to anyone other then crazy old people. I usually just buy reusable ones if I am currently good on kindling and have forgotten my stash of bags in the car.

Oddly enough, just this morning I threw out like 12 reusable bags that were stashed in my shed. There was a large and I am sure thriving community of mice living in them and gently caress cleaning mouse poo poo and piss out of them. loving mice.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Well, guess I'm never moving to California sine I exclusively use plastic grocery bags to clean up after my dog on a walk. Bummer, I love the beach!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Iron Lung posted:

Well, guess I'm never moving to California sine I exclusively use plastic grocery bags to clean up after my dog on a walk. Bummer, I love the beach!

I bought biodegradable dog poo bags for our cat litter and now use them as nappy bags too (with biodegradable nappies i.e., diapers). :smug:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Everyone mad about bags. Yessss yesssssss dance for me internet!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

When's the next ICSA? I have money again, having paid off my moving loan, and want to cook ridiculous things.

Edit: I find the bagging culture here in Florida really weird. We take our own bags, and cashiers still like to bag things for us before we put them in the rucksack, completely missing the point. And they use SO many bags: Today we had to tell the guy at the till that we didn't need the lettuce and eggs to be in their own individual bags.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jan 5, 2014

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Bagging: perhaps the dullest subject yet that we've explored. And yes, I played my part, I'm ashamed to say.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Scientastic posted:

When's the next ICSA? I have money again, having paid off my moving loan, and want to cook ridiculous things.

It's me. but the theme I chose has been done before, so I'm busy thinking up a new one.

Maybe a week.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Chemmy posted:

I, on the other hand, have been shopping groceries all my adult life. I know how to eyeball the amount of bags I'll need, and let the cashier know.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

One day when I hit the lottery I'm going to blow half of it on plastic bags and just sling them all over these places that charge for bags. I will order stupidly large ones and triple bag dolphins and drop them on people's doorsteps from impossibly high altitudes. The day these bastards make me bring my own bags to the store is the day I die. :black101:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
In even more boring news, I've hit up the grocery store and farmer's markets on the way to my parents' house. I made sure to get the annoying/bulky things that I wouldn't want to carry by hand, because my friend who snagged me from the airport offered to drop me off at home today (I've been staying with him and his family, as his sister's in Mexico doing stage managing for a show there until next Tuesday). I still haven't unpacked my suitcase, but I did put on a pot of rice. May end up making green beans for to go with it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

BlueGrot posted:

I, on the other hand, have been shopping groceries all my adult life. I know how to eyeball the amount of bags I'll need, and let the cashier know.

Quit infringing on my God given right as an American to bitch on the internet about mild non inconveniences involving assumed luxuries I take for granted.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
loving americans though

for all my like 'just give people bags, I mean goddamn' talk, I've collectively spent 3 years of my life living in Germany + the UK. Number of bags I used in those 3 years : probably under 50. I'd just bring my messenger bag with me, and load it up. and bike back home.

loving america :( we suck so much

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mindphlux posted:

loving americans though

for all my like 'just give people bags, I mean goddamn' talk, I've collectively spent 3 years of my life living in Germany + the UK. Number of bags I used in those 3 years : probably under 50. I'd just bring my messenger bag with me, and load it up. and bike back home.

loving america :( we suck so much

:colbert:

Speak for yourself man. I'm pretty fuckin cool.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You're alright, for an easterner.

:smugdog:

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You're alright, for an easterner.

:smugdog:

said the vault dweller

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum

Squashy Nipples posted:

It's me. but the theme I chose has been done before, so I'm busy thinking up a new one.

Maybe a week.

You should make it grocery bag themed.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
gently caress... Think I have worms..

Still have to confirm though..

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Fill some empty gellcaps with snus (or be a real man and just swallow it) and take 6 or 8. It'll clear you right out in a day or so.

You might get the shakes if you're not used to tobacco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Fill some empty gellcaps with snus (or be a real man and just swallow it) and take 6 or 8. It'll clear you right out in a day or so.

You might get the shakes if you're not used to tobacco.

Or you could just go to a pharmacy and get some worm pills. Given what I imagine are exorbitant tobacco taxes in Scandiland, probably cheaper too.