Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Install Windows posted:

Not in the sector of the market where Intel CPUs are used though.

Mac sales flattened out last year. iPad sales haven't really gone anywhere either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

:raise: Uhh... did they also open source a few gigs worth of documentation required to touch any significant part of it?

Picturing some non-OCR'd lovely 200x200dpi scans of some old revision of orange/red books as the "documentation"

(maybe it's a nice EDS, who knows)

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Mac sales flattened out last year. iPad sales haven't really gone anywhere either.

To be fair, we'll see a major swing on iPads sales as it no longer weighs as much as a MBA.

Hendrik
Feb 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

It would be interesting to compare the sales revenue plot against a profits plot. One would expect Apple's profit margins to drop due to increased competition from other manufacturers.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Hendrik posted:

It would be interesting to compare the sales revenue plot against a profits plot. One would expect Apple's profit margins to drop due to increased competition from other manufacturers.

I doubt Apple's margins are dropping on the iPad. They still charge $100 to go from 16gb to 32gb on all of their devices, and we all know that flash memory is cheaper than it was 3 years ago when the iPad launched, or even back to the iPhone 3g. iOS devices are Apple's cash cow.

Edit: right from today's news

macrumors posted:

IHS Suppli has released its estimate of the component costs involved in building the new iPad Air, performing a virtual teardown based on information revealed by Apple and industry knowledge. According to IHS estimates, the component cost of the iPad Air is between $274 and $361 depending on the model, with the base model's components actually totaling $42 less than that of the entry-level third generation iPad last year despite significant technology improvements to reduce size and weight while improving performance. IHS iSuppli did not perform a cost analysis on the fourth-generation iPad, which was released in late 2012.

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/05/ipad-air-component-costs-estimated-to-begin-at-274-roughly-13-cheaper-than-ipad-3/

mayodreams fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Nov 5, 2013

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

incoherent posted:

To be fair, we'll see a major swing on iPads sales as it no longer weighs as much as a MBA.

I originally took this as meaning "Sales reps place as much value in having an iPad as an MBA (as in the degree)."

Sadly, it works both ways.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Am I right to assume that all the 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5 Processors offer roughly the same gaming performance as one another?

In other words it wouldn't make any difference to my experience if I bought the i5-4570 instead of the i5-4670K?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

It's around a 6% difference. For ports, a 2500K with a modest overclock (4200 MHz) will still run them handily (and at stock it'll still almost certainly do the job). For native games, they still have to at least try to accomodate the poor souls hidebound to their Q6600 (which even overclocked by 50% is about 2/3 of a 2500K at stock at some tasks and as low as 2/5 at others).

The 4570 is as powerful as that OC 2500K. And since the consoles are x86-64 rather than exotic POWER variants, and get to use 6x1600MHz* of instruction sets that are very nearly all a clean subset of Sandy Bridge or APU-specific (and the rest will be worked out either by the engine's integrated porting process or by the fact you can't count on everything being there on a general PC), it's going to take a lot less time for developers to either discover they have more than enough CPU or max the CPU out - at which point performance is up to your GPU anyway. Odds are pretty good that a 4570 will carry you this generation, and where it couldn't the 4670K won't do much better.

Getting the K matters if you want to overclock, and you're looking at a minimum of $70 in aftermarket heatsink+fan to guarantee a jump worth overclocking for. At this point I don't even recommend non-reference GPUs unless it's something like an R9-290X (which pretty much calls for a 4-slot shotgun cooler or something mad to go with something equally mad) and a CPU is involved in just about everything, not just rendering and the occasional vector calculation, so you can infer my opinion on overclocking from that.

*Yes, I know Xbox One is closer to 1800MHz now. Thanks to the Kinect reserve it's still pretty much level.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 8, 2013

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Odds are pretty good that a 4570 will carry you this generation, and where it couldn't the 4670K won't do much better.

Thank you!

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What is the vring / ring speed setting in my bios. Is that the memory <-> cpu bus speed? It's set to the same frequency as the cpu but is independent of it -- I can clock either one up separately.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

regulargonzalez posted:

What is the vring / ring speed setting in my bios. Is that the memory <-> cpu bus speed? It's set to the same frequency as the cpu but is independent of it -- I can clock either one up separately.

That's an internal bus, a ring-shaped network that ferries data around a loop of the CPU cores, L3 cache, the GPU, the memory controller, and the QPI link(s) to the PCH and, if applicable, to other CPUs.

Touching it is optional, assuming you're using Haswell - in Sandy and Ivy it was clock-locked to the CPU cores. Haswell doubled the bandwidth and unlocked its clocks, so you can leave it be and it won't be a bottleneck, as well as hopefully not a frequency wall as well.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Factory Factory posted:

That's an internal bus, a ring-shaped network that ferries data around a loop of the CPU cores, L3 cache, the GPU, the memory controller, and the QPI link(s) to the PCH and, if applicable, to other CPUs.

Touching it is optional, assuming you're using Haswell - in Sandy and Ivy it was clock-locked to the CPU cores. Haswell doubled the bandwidth and unlocked its clocks, so you can leave it be and it won't be a bottleneck, as well as hopefully not a frequency wall as well.

Ah thanks, yes it's a Haswell. I bumped it up from 3400 to 3800 when I started in with overclocking my 4670k and it seems fine so I'll just leave it as-is for the time being.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

So I just unboxed my 4570 and the heatsink has what appears to be thermal paste pre-applied in three strips on the contact point. Just wanting to confirm that this is what it is and I don't have add any more.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Nov 11, 2013

Guni
Mar 11, 2010

KingEup posted:

So I just unboxed my 4570 and the heatsink has what appears to be thermal paste pre-applied in three strips on the contact point. Just wanting to confirm that this is what it is and I don't have add any more.

You're ready to rock and/or roll!

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Sir Unimaginative posted:

It's around a 6% difference. For ports, a 2500K with a modest overclock (4200 MHz) will still run them handily (and at stock it'll still almost certainly do the job). For native games, they still have to at least try to accomodate the poor souls hidebound to their Q6600 (which even overclocked by 50% is about 2/3 of a 2500K at stock at some tasks and as low as 2/5 at others).

The 4570 is as powerful as that OC 2500K. And since the consoles are x86-64 rather than exotic POWER variants, and get to use 6x1600MHz* of instruction sets that are very nearly all a clean subset of Sandy Bridge or APU-specific (and the rest will be worked out either by the engine's integrated porting process or by the fact you can't count on everything being there on a general PC), it's going to take a lot less time for developers to either discover they have more than enough CPU or max the CPU out - at which point performance is up to your GPU anyway. Odds are pretty good that a 4570 will carry you this generation, and where it couldn't the 4670K won't do much better.

Getting the K matters if you want to overclock, and you're looking at a minimum of $70 in aftermarket heatsink+fan to guarantee a jump worth overclocking for. At this point I don't even recommend non-reference GPUs unless it's something like an R9-290X (which pretty much calls for a 4-slot shotgun cooler or something mad to go with something equally mad) and a CPU is involved in just about everything, not just rendering and the occasional vector calculation, so you can infer my opinion on overclocking from that.

*Yes, I know Xbox One is closer to 1800MHz now. Thanks to the Kinect reserve it's still pretty much level.

How big of a difference is the Ivy Bridge and Haswell processors compared to an i7 920 in terms of both games and just general Windows stuff?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

fookolt posted:

How big of a difference is the Ivy Bridge and Haswell processors compared to an i7 920 in terms of both games and just general Windows stuff?

Ehhhh. AnandTech's Bench utility can tell you some real world tasks. But if you want to rule of thumb it, then the per-clock performance difference is 15% up for Sandy Bridge, 5% up for Ivy Bridge, and 10% up for Haswell, generation to generation. That makes a a 2.66 GHz Nehalem equivalent to a 2 GHz Haswell chip (though even the dinkiest mobile Haswell quad-core is faster than that).

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Factory Factory posted:

Ehhhh. AnandTech's Bench utility can tell you some real world tasks. But if you want to rule of thumb it, then the per-clock performance difference is 15% up for Sandy Bridge, 5% up for Ivy Bridge, and 10% up for Haswell, generation to generation. That makes a a 2.66 GHz Nehalem equivalent to a 2 GHz Haswell chip (though even the dinkiest mobile Haswell quad-core is faster than that).

Hm, my i7 920's at 3.36GHz. That's probably not worth the ~$400-500 for transitioning right? I'm just tired of Windows 8 being slow as gently caress for the first 5 minutes of loading up.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
That's a storage issue. Get an SSD.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Factory Factory posted:

That's a storage issue. Get an SSD.

I've got a 512GB SSD :(

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Something else isn't quite right...an i7 920, especially over clocked is plenty of CPU for everyday tasks and gaming. What type of SSD?

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

movax posted:

Something else isn't quite right...an i7 920, especially over clocked is plenty of CPU for everyday tasks and gaming. What type of SSD?

I've got a Crucial M4. I've also got 24gb of memory. When I have the task manager open on the performance tab, the ssd is at 100% activity during that period of starting up and the computer being mega slow.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Someone in the Win 8.1 thread recently did some troubleshooting. You have Win 8, right? Open the task manager (ctrl-shift-escape) and check the startup items for things with "high" impact and/or fishy duplications.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Factory Factory posted:

Someone in the Win 8.1 thread recently did some troubleshooting. You have Win 8, right? Open the task manager (ctrl-shift-escape) and check the startup items for things with "high" impact and/or fishy duplications.

Thanks; I'm sorry about the derail. I just want to make sure it wasn't my CPU (it's kind of amazing how long it has lasted me.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

fookolt posted:

Thanks; I'm sorry about the derail. I just want to make sure it wasn't my CPU (it's kind of amazing how long it has lasted me.

There's no way a 3.36GHz i7-920 with 24GiB RAM and a 512GB SSD should be "slow for 5 minutes after booting". There's definitely something fishy with your Windows install..

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 28, 2013

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

If your SSD is more than ~75% full it does suffer performance degradation but even that wouldn't account for 5 minutes of slowdown. I'd disable unnecessary poo poo in msconfig and check Device Manager for unknown / conflicting items.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Does your BIOS have your SATA ports set to native or IDE? I've seen big speed problems with that and Win7+ set to compatible/IDE. I"ll concur on a full drive and/or Windows Bit Rot that a clean install may fix things. I do one every 6 months or so. :v:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
There's a thought. If it's in IDE mode, your SSD may have filled itself up, as TRIM wouldn't work. You'd have to re-enable AHCI mode then image the drive, secure erase it, and restore the image to get your performance back.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Either my google-fu is failing me or what I'm looking for is hard to find....Any suggestions on where to look for benchmarks/reviews of the Haswell ULT SKUs (specifically the i5-4300u and i7-4600u)? I'm looking at getting a T440s as a new work notebook and those are the two CPU options, so I'm trying to get an idea of if the i7 is worth the extra cost.

The closest thing I've been able to find is this Sony VAIO Pro 13 review on Anandtech. The VAIO Pro has an i5-4200U, and one of the machines it's compared against is an Acer with the i7-4500U. However, the Acer also has a discrete GT750M GPU and the review is mostly gaming/synthetic 3D benchmarks, so it doesn't really give a clear picture.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

chizad posted:

Either my google-fu is failing me or what I'm looking for is hard to find....Any suggestions on where to look for benchmarks/reviews of the Haswell ULT SKUs (specifically the i5-4300u and i7-4600u)? I'm looking at getting a T440s as a new work notebook and those are the two CPU options, so I'm trying to get an idea of if the i7 is worth the extra cost.

The closest thing I've been able to find is this Sony VAIO Pro 13 review on Anandtech. The VAIO Pro has an i5-4200U, and one of the machines it's compared against is an Acer with the i7-4500U. However, the Acer also has a discrete GT750M GPU and the review is mostly gaming/synthetic 3D benchmarks, so it doesn't really give a clear picture.

You can get a good idea by just looking at their base and turbo frequencies on ARK.
The i5-4300 is ALMOST as fast as the i7-4500. The i7-4600 should be somewhere between zero and 10% faster than the i7-4500.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

fookolt posted:

I've got a Crucial M4. I've also got 24gb of memory. When I have the task manager open on the performance tab, the ssd is at 100% activity during that period of starting up and the computer being mega slow.

Sorry to derail just a little bit more, but I have encountered something similar. Have you tried to rune things like HDTune to see the performance of your SSD? In particular, if the tests takes forever to finish (i.e. you get odd pauses during the tests), then you probably have a bad drive.

I actually had a bad intel ssd that took me forever to isolate the problem to the drive instead of something else in the system (since I never had reliability issues with intel ssd before so I resisted the idea that the drive is bad).

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
:aaaaa:

Phoronix posted:

As an extra holiday present for Linux and open-source fans, Intel has quietly released a large batch of new programming documentation that covers their latest-generation Haswell graphics cores. The new "programmer's reference manuals" cover the 2013 Haswell HD Graphics, Iris Graphics, and Iris Pro Graphics. This massive batch of documentation is spread across twelve volumes and does document their hardware registers.

Intel just released 5000 pages on HSW graphics. Bspec. Watermark guidelines. Just crazy amounts of information.
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/documentation/2013-intel-core-processor-family

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

I wonder if this is in part related to SteamOS? I know that Intel graphics were not part of the initial rollout, and to be honest, the Nvidia drivers blew in my testing. Just a thought.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

lethial posted:

Sorry to derail just a little bit more, but I have encountered something similar. Have you tried to rune things like HDTune to see the performance of your SSD? In particular, if the tests takes forever to finish (i.e. you get odd pauses during the tests), then you probably have a bad drive.

I actually had a bad intel ssd that took me forever to isolate the problem to the drive instead of something else in the system (since I never had reliability issues with intel ssd before so I resisted the idea that the drive is bad).

Well poo poo, thank you for the suggestion. Time to get a new SSD :(

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Time to make my speculation about where we'll be at by HD7000 with Intel's highest end integrated GPUs way less baseless! Assuming I can make heads or tails of that wikileaks-esque infodump!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

fookolt posted:

uhh, what's with that CPU usage? That's a single core pegged on a quad core.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

fookolt posted:

Boy is that SSD having a hard time.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

chizad posted:

Not sure if this is what you need, but the new 13" MacBook Pro base models use 4258U and 4288U SKUs.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
David Kanter has posted a summary of Knights Landing details on Real World Tech, a follow-up to his previous article on Knights Landing CPU speculation.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So what's up with these new Bay Trail Atoms? Why are they so damned good? I've got one in my tablet and it's blowing my expectations out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Totally solid on the first page. The second... ehhhh. I don't think QPI is a slam dunk. It's quite heavy and hadn't quite been banged into an IP. Assuming that the EX line will be sharing architecture and resources is another stretch. Overall solid, just a little wishful on some of those features.