Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

If you have even a crappy shield, blocking will make you basically immune to orc archers. Even without it if you can be careful about line of sight they shouldn't be an issue.

Agreed I just always skip them cause they're such a bitch to deal with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Yeah, Dungeons of the Endless is pretty fun but very barebones. I've beaten the alpha three times already. I think it has a lot of potential, and if a tower defence/roguelike hybrid sounds appealing I'd recommend keeping an eye on it if not buying it. The presentation is great too, although sometimes controlling your characters can be annoying as they often don't go where they should.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Pimpmust posted:

Didn't find it mentioned, or a seperate thread for it, but I noticed a Early access game called Dungeon of the Endless that claims to be some sort of rogue-like dungeon-defense hybrid thingy.

The art direction seems top-notch, anyone got any experience with it?

First, plugging this video of DotE again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtVdbon7yZ0 (I won't post it again, I promise.)

I've played it for about an hour and would still be playing it if I didn't have to go do stuff right now. DotE plays like a cross between FTL and a light 4X game with some interesting streamlined RPG mechanics (roguelike mechanics? heh). Very high potential, good amount of content so far. For $10, I'm really looking forward to the release.

The gameplay is pretty solid and you have to move your dudes around FTL-style. If you liked managing crews and systems in FTL but wished there was more roguelike in your roguelike-like (-lite?) then this is a good game. It still has a decent challenge; I've made it to level 3 on my second attempt and learned a lot about survival. If you didn't like the FTL crew/systems management access in FTL, you might still like this game because the level of micro is nowhere near the same as FTL; I did just fine by making sure my crew manned my generators before opening a door, and then just sending them all to my chokepoint for fights. That's really it, and pulling dudes in and out of rooms to juggle attacks sometimes if I didn't want to waste food on heals. There may be more later, that's all I saw so far.

One thing (for anyone who ends up playing it) is that if you don't open a door to your crystal, enemies won't either. This means as you start to reach levels where your crystal has multiple doorways from it, you can try to funnel enemies in one way as long as you never open the door and the level happens to connect. Level 2 didn't, but my level 3 had all doors eventually connect due to a massive labyrinth of a level layout.

I feel like it has a decent challenge, though I do expect to beat the third level (which I think is the end of the alpha) on my next attempt. For some kind of reference to my RL experience there, I can reliably beat FTL and have a bunch of wins there, but have only gotten 3 runes on Crawl and never beat a true RL (like ADOM or Crawl or ToME or Nethack or anything).

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 5, 2014

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a roguelike that is pretty easy to beat? Maybe a bit uncomplicated as well.

I like Crawl and a few others, but sometimes get bogged down by the resistance systems and difficulty. I tried cardinal quest, which is definitely simple and easier, but I just didn't find it to be very fun. Any ideas?

Otherwise I will probably just head back to Crawl. :)

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Chinook posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a roguelike that is pretty easy to beat? Maybe a bit uncomplicated as well.

I like Crawl and a few others, but sometimes get bogged down by the resistance systems and difficulty. I tried cardinal quest, which is definitely simple and easier, but I just didn't find it to be very fun. Any ideas?

Dungeonmans isn't too tough in the long term but it lets you build on older characters to a certain extent so you might argue its challenge is not quite as pure as, say, crawl. Great game though and it is possible to finish it without capitalizing on the stuff your dead characters have earned.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Chinook posted:

Dungeons of Dredmor should fit the bill here, especially as it has selectable difficulty levels and optional permadeath. Even on Going Rogue (the hardest difficulty) it's still pretty straightforward for a roguelike.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the other hand, I would not call Dredmor fun to play.

I wish it was :(

German Joey
Dec 18, 2004

Chinook posted:

sounds like you want to try DoomRL, which is quick and pretty easy to beat on the lower difficulty settings, but has tons of depth on the higher settings.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chinook posted:

Castle of the Winds is on easy.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Tollymain posted:

It's just that once you've played Crawl, games like Dredmor and The Pit are too drat slow

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dredmore's fine with small levels and double speed anims, it's not a super long game to finish with that setup.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

victrix posted:

Dredmore's fine with small levels and double speed anims, it's not a super long game to finish with that setup.

Aren't short levels broken? At least a few months ago they were, because the small levels didn't compensate for loot and there was just an XP multiplier so you could end up really underleveled and undergeared.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Chinook posted:

What about Brogue? I wouldn't call it easy, but I'm finding it to be a pretty accessible way to get back into roguelikes after a number of years. It's very straight forward and focused but still has a fair amount of depth and flexibility. Not to mention it is gorgeous.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Space Bat posted:

Aren't short levels broken? At least a few months ago they were, because the small levels didn't compensate for loot and there was just an XP multiplier so you could end up really underleveled and undergeared.

I think this might be a crafting thing or something? On a non-crafting character, I cleared Going Rogue/Permadeath/No Time to Grind/Realm of the Diggle Gods easily enough, even though you'd think any problems with less gains per level would be exacerbated in a 15 floor game. And even NttG is pretty drat long so I can't really recommend playing the game without it.

But yes, speeding up animations is a must.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Another question about Risk of Rain: twice now I've fallen into pits that I seemingly can't escape from. Like no jump pads or things to climb onto. I feel like this is an oversight of the level generator but maybe I'm missing something?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Chinook posted:

One Way Heroics for sure. Dungeonmans once its finished.

OWH is very forgiving and has multiple difficulty levels, progress of various sorts carried over from game to game, lots of unlockable classes and perks, a variety of endings, and its both easy to play and to understand.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Chinook posted:

One Way Heroics and has a thread.

Tollymain posted:

It is fun to play for a "samey" game. Must be fun to hate it.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hito posted:

I think this might be a crafting thing or something? On a non-crafting character, I cleared Going Rogue/Permadeath/No Time to Grind/Realm of the Diggle Gods easily enough, even though you'd think any problems with less gains per level would be exacerbated in a 15 floor game. And even NttG is pretty drat long so I can't really recommend playing the game without it.

But yes, speeding up animations is a must.

Ah, I think you're right. Although crafting is so useless that it's not an issue. You're right about small rooms though, even with them the game takes fooooorever.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

voltron lion force posted:

Another question about Risk of Rain: twice now I've fallen into pits that I seemingly can't escape from. Like no jump pads or things to climb onto. I feel like this is an oversight of the level generator but maybe I'm missing something?

Give me an example, I've never encountered this problem.

Is there really nothing else like Dredmor's chargen?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
POWDER is fairly simple, as far as roguelikes go, while still retaining many staples.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

voltron lion force posted:

What stage?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Once on the second level and once on the third iirc. I tried playing a few rounds to get a screenshot but I haven't come across them. The enforcer is cool btw, but tough to keep the enemies in front of you.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Which second level? Which third?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Oh right there are different ones. The cloud one for the second level and the ancient valley for the third I think.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Also now that I'm looking at the wiki I realize that the levels aren't actually generated? I figured it used like a Spelunky style system where prefab sections of the level are put together semi randomly, but I guess there's only like 3 layouts per stage?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

There really shouldn't be any situations at all where you can't move around or have gotten stuck. And yeah, levels will generate with a couple things different each time but otherwise keep the same general layout.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The next ADOM prelease is redoing the monster generation algorithm so now you'll actually see level appropriate monsters deep in the CoC and not goblin rockthrowers.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This postmortem of Eldritch was posted in the Steam thread, and I thought it might hold some interest here. The dev is pretty open with his sales figures. Looks like it's been a decent little success, netting him about 100k since September. I didn't even realize there was a free expansion released, so he's definitely right that he failed with marketing there, but otherwise he's done well.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

TOOT BOOT posted:

The next ADOM prelease is redoing the monster generation algorithm so now you'll actually see level appropriate monsters deep in the CoC and not goblin rockthrowers.

I'm really confused that Biskup had no idea about the huge experience discrepancy and monster problem until now. It's been long known that trolls never clear the 20s for no well-designed reason, and most other classes and races only hit top at the very end of the game, where you suddenly gain 15 levels inside of half an hour.

To answer your earlier question Joey, the quality of the tiles is excellent, it's just the style that they're drawn in throws me off. Humans looks sort of pudgy and cartoony in a setting that always seemed to come across as a little more unpleasant and desperate in tone -- instead it's like I'm bowling through a bad renaissance fair. For that matter, most chaos humanoids all look like fat old men in pajamas, and it just feels silly as hell when playing.

But then, a lot of the monster tiles are really well done. They look ugly, mean, and fantastical. I'm especially fond of the animated tree, the new elemental sprites, Molochs, chaos mutants, and darkforge enemies (except for Kherab and his goofy lavender beard). It just creates a weird contrast.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Yeah well he's only literally just adding tiles now, and even then it was only as a stretch goal on the KS.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Jordan7hm posted:

This postmortem of Eldritch was posted in the Steam thread, and I thought it might hold some interest here. The dev is pretty open with his sales figures. Looks like it's been a decent little success, netting him about 100k since September. I didn't even realize there was a free expansion released, so he's definitely right that he failed with marketing there, but otherwise he's done well.

I'm glad he's done well enough out of the game, especially after idiots on steam were moaning about him explaining why the default character was a black woman.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I haven't had a ton of time to play games lately so it's just been RLs and BF4 lately... which has been fun! I've been playing a ton of PRIME and DoomRL. Although I still haven't beat DoomRL yet. Or PRIME. I think I might have to find another good RL with tiles, that is not fantasy. Or maybe that is, and I'll finally figure out spells. They confuse me.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Jordan7hm posted:

Has anyone figured out how to even get to the expansion content yet? Do you have to get the best ending? I played through the entire game and never even saw a mining pick even once, which I guess is necessary to find the hidden levels and artifacts? No one has even bothered to update the game's wiki on it.

**Oh I guess it's available right away maybe by just downloading the update? I beat the game once but didn't get the best ending due to the aforementioned problem.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jan 5, 2014

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Black August posted:

I'm really confused that Biskup had no idea about the huge experience discrepancy and monster problem until now.

He's not actually any good at his own game, he's probably never gotten that far.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Black August posted:

I'm really confused that Biskup had no idea about the huge experience discrepancy and monster problem until now. It's been long known that trolls never clear the 20s for no well-designed reason, and most other classes and races only hit top at the very end of the game, where you suddenly gain 15 levels inside of half an hour.

To answer your earlier question Joey, the quality of the tiles is excellent, it's just the style that they're drawn in throws me off. Humans looks sort of pudgy and cartoony in a setting that always seemed to come across as a little more unpleasant and desperate in tone -- instead it's like I'm bowling through a bad renaissance fair. For that matter, most chaos humanoids all look like fat old men in pajamas, and it just feels silly as hell when playing.

But then, a lot of the monster tiles are really well done. They look ugly, mean, and fantastical. I'm especially fond of the animated tree, the new elemental sprites, Molochs, chaos mutants, and darkforge enemies (except for Kherab and his goofy lavender beard). It just creates a weird contrast.

Just a reminder that ADOM had a bug list with over 100,000 outstanding items on it when he started clinking the cup with his IGG.

Tollymain posted:

Dredmor gets a lot more fun with the speed cranked up all the way, but in the end I feel like the skill system hurts the game more than it helps. Too many feel mandatory, it's too tedious to test new builds and even when you're playing fast with speed cranked the game is so slow that you might not realize you have an unplayable character until you've put five or six hours into it. It's still the game I'd use to recommend people to the genre just because it's so well polished and simple, but having come into it from Crawl and Nethack it was really hard to get into Dredmor and I still haven't finished it.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 6, 2014

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have a visually-pleasing favorite use of the oryx tileset in terms of floor tile usage/etc that they find particularly readable?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Has anyone figured out how to even get to the expansion content yet? Do you have to get the best ending? I played through the entire game and never even saw a mining pick even once, which I guess is necessary to find the hidden levels and artifacts? No one has even bothered to update the game's wiki on it.

**Oh I guess it's available right away maybe by just downloading the update? I beat the game once but didn't get the best ending due to the aforementioned problem.

Yeah, there's a fourth book with a huge snow cloud around it just past the usual books. That'll take you right to the new area, but be warned, there's no way back until you beat it or die.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

Unormal posted:

Does anyone have a visually-pleasing favorite use of the oryx tileset in terms of floor tile usage/etc that they find particularly readable?

I have no idea, but I want to try making some tiles. How big are the ones your using?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

_jink posted:

I have no idea, but I want to try making some tiles. How big are the ones your using?

It's oryx which is 12x16; I'm going to use them two-color (black/white) and dynamically recolor them. Likely going to do a bunch of Qud themed custom ones, or commission some. Though I'd love to gobble up people's tile-set work, I don't necessarily want to just accept pro-bono work, because if we do a Qud/Freehold-based project for mobile, it'll be pay-to-play.

http://oryxdesignlab.com/ultimate/

Unormal fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

I was mostly just wondering what you'd settled on! (having gone on a CoQ binge a bit ago & dreaming of a graphical version)

edit; drat 12x16 is minuscule

_jink fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 6, 2014