Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

SickZip posted:

Vicky is already far superior to CK2/EUIV :colbert:

They should reboot the series, put the start date to 1776, and give it a name with more mass appeal

Spirits of Liberty :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Orphan Sweatshops Simulator.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

March of Freedom and plaster it with American Flags and Eagles

It will add some nice irony when 80% of players go maximum Hitler and turn fascist

SickZip fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 5, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I always thought the loading screen for EU3 that was a low-angle shot of Washington surrounded by his soldiers was pretty bad-rear end, like, "Yes, this is what Washington in a video game looks like."

Then you had deformed Napoleon on his gigantic pony.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

It doesn't help that the first game had an explanatory subtitle that V2 dropped (V1 shipped as Victoria: An Empire Under the Sun).

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

SickZip posted:

They should reboot the series, put the start date to 1776, and give it a name with more mass appeal

I actually think that this is legitimately a good idea but it would have to be pretty railroaded near the start re: France in order to even vaguely resemble RL history. 1789 might be a better start but then you lose the whole :911: angle.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

SickZip posted:

Factroy Universalis :colbert:

SickZip posted:

March of Freedom and plaster it with American Flags and Eagles

It will add some nice irony when 80% of players go maximum Hitler and turn fascist

It doesn't help that fascism is legit the best form of government in the game; you can pass any reforms you want, you get max military spending, you get all the benefits of a planned economy while still letting your capitalists do some of the work, and your flag tends to be the coolest one for your nation. Only downside is residency means assimilation will be harder, but if you already have a high population fascism is the best government.

In addition to global manpower pools and streamlining some things so the game isn't such a CPU hog, I hope V3 adds more benefits for not being fascist :(.

E: Also, RE: Earlier start date, I think that would be really cool to play as France and spread the revolution. Like, screw Napoleon, keep the Jacobins and conquer Europe :france:.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Would not be any less confusing than Mega-Legged-Napoleon headlining a game that starts centuries earlier.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Farecoal posted:

Vicky 2 is Clauswitz

Clausewitz 2.5 rolled out with Sengoku so yeah, V2 is still on a fairly older version of the engine. HoI3 as well.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I looked into the number of provinces held by each game as a point of comparison:

EU4 provinces: 2 002
Hearts of Iron 2: 2 607
Darkest Hour: 2 760
Victoria 2: 2 702
Hearts of Iron 3: 14 168

Even accounting for EU4 having a bunch of Terra Incognita, it's pretty obvious that HOI3 has WAY too many provinces, and I think a new version would have to bring that back down to keep it manageable. I also never felt like the generic research system and the Brigade-assembly system was particularly compelling, although the Practical/Theoretical system was a big improvement. Besides going back to a prettier and smaller map, I feel like HOI4 should just return to its division-scale and direct-tech-tree-with-research-team roots.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

gently caress HoI4, just keep polishing Darkest Hour further and further.

e; Also yeah I've felt for awhile that Vicky should maybe cover about 150 years from 1776/1789 to about 1930, which is the year HoI should then start in. But then I enjoy the process of building up countries and forces in DH more than almost anyone else and I never, ever feel like I have long enough.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I looked into the number of provinces held by each game as a point of comparison:

EU4 provinces: 2 002
Hearts of Iron 2: 2 607
Darkest Hour: 2 760
Victoria 2: 2 702
Hearts of Iron 3: 14 168

Even accounting for EU4 having a bunch of Terra Incognita, it's pretty obvious that HOI3 has WAY too many provinces, and I think a new version would have to bring that back down to keep it manageable. I also never felt like the generic research system and the Brigade-assembly system was particularly compelling, although the Practical/Theoretical system was a big improvement. Besides going back to a prettier and smaller map, I feel like HOI4 should just return to its division-scale and direct-tech-tree-with-research-team roots.

East vs West has more provinces than HoI3.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

gently caress HoI4, just keep polishing Darkest Hour further and further.

e; Also yeah I've felt for awhile that Vicky should maybe cover about 150 years from 1776/1789 to about 1930, which is the year HoI should then start in. But then I enjoy the process of building up countries and forces in DH more than almost anyone else and I never, ever feel like I have long enough.

I agree that Victoria III should have a Long 19th Century if only to make investing in a pre-steam navy or clipper ship factories more than a stupid gimmick. Plus, the game's flow would go from bookends of a Liberal revolution that leads to a continental conflict (replace Anarcho-Liberals with Jacobins!) to a massive wave of communist and fascist revolutions at the end. Hell, if you start in 1754 then you can get an effectively randomized North America, but that may be pushing it. But more than those things, I want a politicians/factions system that scales in number based on country power, and an espionage system and ways to gently caress with other people economically through blockades or closed markets.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I would love a Vicky 3, and I hope that's what is being announced soon. If not, I guess I'll have to figure out how to mod V2.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

DrProsek posted:

Factroy Universalis :colbert:

It doesn't help that fascism is legit the best form of government in the game; you can pass any reforms you want, you get max military spending, you get all the benefits of a planned economy while still letting your capitalists do some of the work, and your flag tends to be the coolest one for your nation. Only downside is residency means assimilation will be harder, but if you already have a high population fascism is the best government.

In addition to global manpower pools and streamlining some things so the game isn't such a CPU hog, I hope V3 adds more benefits for not being fascist :(.

E: Also, RE: Earlier start date, I think that would be really cool to play as France and spread the revolution. Like, screw Napoleon, keep the Jacobins and conquer Europe :france:.

Vicky is a game you play against your conscious, not against other countries. Playing it "best" is often the worst way to play it. (Take that however you want.)

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

uPen posted:

haha that game is gonna be a train wreck.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
How is it even possible to cram more provinces in there :psyduck:?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
To me the problem with extending V2's timeline that far back for V3 is that you'd end up with an effectively alien world almost every game. Even extending the timeline back to 1821 would lead to the problem of having much of Latin America likely remaining Spanish most games. You could have Mexico and Colombia as independent states at war with Spain in the beginning, but even then there's a decent chance that Bolivia/Peru and Argentina/Chile would stick with Spain most of the time. Not to mention having to make sure that the Ottoman starting war with Greece is a likely failure to avoid super-Ottomans showing up every game.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

How is it even possible to cram more provinces in there :psyduck:?

Was it East vs West or some HoI mod that added an absurd amount of provinces everywhere, and especially in Africa.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Patter Song posted:

To me the problem with extending V2's timeline that far back for V3 is that you'd end up with an effectively alien world almost every game. Even extending the timeline back to 1821 would lead to the problem of having much of Latin America likely remaining Spanish most games. You could have Mexico and Colombia as independent states at war with Spain in the beginning, but even then there's a decent chance that Bolivia/Peru and Argentina/Chile would stick with Spain most of the time. Not to mention having to make sure that the Ottoman starting war with Greece is a likely failure to avoid super-Ottomans showing up every game.

I understand all of this but I still really want a game where I can start off as the 13 colonies and go all the way up to post WWI. Though if Steppe Wolf is released for EU4 I will be satisfied.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Was it East vs West or some HoI mod that added an absurd amount of provinces everywhere, and especially in Africa.

That was Iron Cross:

In contrast, one of the Darkest Hour dev diaries specifically stated that they didn't want to exceed 3 000 provinces to maintain playability.

Patter Song posted:

That's what bookmarks are for, though? I know most people play from the earliest possible bookmark because "longer campaign = better than", but I've played a couple of WWI starts myself on the original Ricky just to see how it'd play out in the last 2 decades with a set of nations markedly different from 1836.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
That America would be fantastic for the Fallout mod.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Besides going back to a prettier and smaller map, I feel like HOI4 should just return to its division-scale and direct-tech-tree-with-research-team roots.

The HoI roots are actually research by spending IC. Frankly I've always felt that the tech team system was overly generous to small nations. A nation with 40 IC has three tech teams, a nation with 400 has five. This is awesome if you want to play world conquest as Luxembourg, but it is a bit silly if late war America has to decide whether they want a new carrier model or nuclear bombs.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

ArchangeI posted:

The HoI roots are actually research by spending IC. Frankly I've always felt that the tech team system was overly generous to small nations. A nation with 40 IC has three tech teams, a nation with 400 has five. This is awesome if you want to play world conquest as Luxembourg, but it is a bit silly if late war America has to decide whether they want a new carrier model or nuclear bombs.

Given that there is no model in the game for the spread of tech besides blueprints to allies, being generous to small nations is kind of necessary unless you want all non Great Powers to still be using WW1 gear in 1945.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The biggest problem with pushing the start date for Victoria 3 much earlier than it currently is is that, if Vic3 models military stuff the same way as Vic 2 does, it will be utterly incapable of modeling the Napoleonic Wars.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

ArchangeI posted:

The difference being that Luxembourg has like 3 IC and 1 tech team, whereas nations that have 40 IC are supposed to be "regional" or medium-sized powers. I've played Canada/Australia games in HoI2/DH enough to know that 40 IC is definitely not too low to make a good contribution to the war effort, but you're definitely not going to go on a world conquest with it.

I mean Italy is a major world player and it only starts with like 80 IC. But by all means, if you want the US to be even more overpowered, give it like thirty tech teams to reflect its economy massively outstripping the rest of the world's (for the record I think the newest version of DH ups the maximum number of active tech teams to like 6 or 7 for nations like US/UK/France/Germany/USSR.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ArchangeI posted:

You have to factor in that Luxembourg has so little base IC that it (and most nations all the way up to Italy) are never going to be able to pull off a world conquest regardless (unless playing with Full IC/Research Team takeover), and that America's other advantage is her excellent tech teams. I've never really felt that the limit of 5 kept any of the major powers from research everything that they needed - manpower and IC tended to be bigger hurdles to that.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Drone posted:

I mean Italy is a major world player

Hahaha you're hilarious.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

uPen posted:

Oh man, I gotta see where they say this.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

There's also The Map of Abominations, which I was convinced was designed by someone related to Iron Cross until I asked him. There's an upcoming 1980's Cold War mod that plans to use it that I'm actually kind of looking forward to- the Gulf War and the Yugoslav Wars could actually benefit from it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Friend Commuter posted:

Hahaha you're hilarious.

The second largest nation in the Axis for most of the game isn't a major power?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Drone posted:

The second largest nation in the Axis for most of the game isn't a major power?

No it isn't. Italy isn't a fully industrialised country at the start of the war and does not have a modern equipped army and never managed to form one. Italy's main contribution to the war is to be a massive liability for Germany.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Kavak posted:

Oh man, I gotta see where they say this.

There's also The Map of Abominations, which I was convinced was designed by someone related to Iron Cross until I asked him. There's an upcoming 1980's Cold War mod that plans to use it that I'm actually kind of looking forward to- the Gulf War and the Yugoslav Wars could actually benefit from it.

I was kinda "alright, sure, whatever" until I saw Africa, Saudi Arabia, the US and India in the map :psyduck:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Alchenar posted:

No it isn't. Italy isn't a fully industrialised country at the start of the war and does not have a modern equipped army and never managed to form one. Italy's main contribution to the war is to be a massive liability for Germany.

Having played an Italy game of DH Full ('36 scenario) where I turned the Med into an Axis lake and restored pretty much all of Justinian's borders, I think it's fair to say Italy isn't some backwater who's forced to play Santa's Little Helper to Germany.

Doesn't mean it's not hard as gently caress to do, but Italy isn't exactly Luxembourg.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Drone posted:

Having played an Italy game of DH Full ('36 scenario) where I turned the Med into an Axis lake and restored pretty much all of Justinian's borders, I think it's fair to say Italy isn't some backwater who's forced to play Santa's Little Helper to Germany.

Doesn't mean it's not hard as gently caress to do, but Italy isn't exactly Luxembourg.

I've always wanted to try out Italy but they are just so weak and it's hard to really do anything with them. Although if you start early enough you've got time to take a bunch of African nations before the big war kicks off.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Demiurge4 posted:

I've always wanted to try out Italy but they are just so weak and it's hard to really do anything with them. Although if you start early enough you've got time to take a bunch of African nations before the big war kicks off.

That's the result of Italy modernising it's military way too early historically. Sorry!

Is the 1933 DH scenario still hosed? Used to be that the early start makes the Soviets basically unassailable because of sheer economic power.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Riso posted:

That's the result of Italy modernising it's military way too early historically. Sorry!

Is the 1933 DH scenario still hosed? Used to be that the early start makes the Soviets basically unassailable because of sheer economic power.

I never use the '33 scenario because everyone's economic power just gets blown out of proportion. Supposedly the World in Flames II mod makes the '33 scenario a lot better, but I'm a little afraid to try it out because I imagine it's just some Paradox Forums Sperg's idea of a fun game (making Germany even more overpowered for dumb reasons).

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Re: crazy numbers of provinces, I think a solution that could make both camps happy (the "We need more provinces for interesting troop movements" and "Holy poo poo, we need a manageable number of provinces" sides) would actually be pretty straightforward, and not even unprecedented for a Paradox game: decouple the number of places troops can be placed from the number of provinces. The most simple way to implement this would be to do what V2 does with having provinces lumped into states. So you can have the USA divided up into counties for the purposes of troop maneuvering, but all the infrastructure exists at a state level.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Doesn't HOI3 already do that? Can't remember since it's been so long since I've played.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Megadyptes posted:

Doesn't HOI3 already do that? Can't remember since it's been so long since I've played.

I actually don't know, but if it does, then I don't see why huge numbers of provinces are a problem. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

What I don't get about this maps with a billion provinces is why the provinces aren't very uniformly sized.

Like you're increasing the number of provinces so that troop movement and warfare is better but then leaving it so that troops would move erratically and you won't be able to easily see who is moving where and to what.

Move a troop from one side of the country to the other and they'll move in a weird zig-zag instead of a straight line.

• Locked thread