Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Error 404 posted:

Having bingewatched the whole show back to back last season, I really couldn't tell much difference between season 3 and 4. Season 5 has gotten some laughs out of me so far.

Season 3 definitely had deeper valleys compared to seasons 1 and 2, but Remedial Chaos Theory alone elevates season 3 above season 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

30 Rock also got a 13-episode run for its final season, and went out on a high note after a couple shaky seasons. I'd be okay if this was Community's last season: it gives them a chance to wrap things up, end strong, and not have to pad things out for a longer season. If NBC would have done this (namely, a short season) with Parks and Rec I think Season 5 would have been stronger, since they wouldn't have had to keep adding episodes as the order changed.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ˇTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

FactsAreUseless posted:

30 Rock also got a 13-episode run for its final season, and went out on a high note after a couple shaky seasons. I'd be okay if this was Community's last season: it gives them a chance to wrap things up, end strong, and not have to pad things out for a longer season. If NBC would have done this (namely, a short season) with Parks and Rec I think Season 5 would have been stronger, since they wouldn't have had to keep adding episodes as the order changed.

Going off of 30 Rock, I only hope that Community knows it's doing its last season. That's what made 30 Rock's so good. They knew exactly how much time they had to wrap things up perfectly. I just don't want what turns out to be a series finale that's really just a season finale written with the mindset of "Welp. Maybe we'll get another season, maybe we won't. So we better give some closure, but leave things just open enough to keep going if we get to."

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

El Tortuga posted:

Going off of 30 Rock, I only hope that Community knows it's doing its last season.

To be fair, I think that by the time Harmon and co. had finished the last episodes, they were still under the impression they might very well be on their last/only season every year so far.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Punch Card posted:

To be fair, I think that by the time Harmon and co. had finished the last episodes, they were still under the impression they might very well be on their last/only season every year so far.

That's true, but there's a difference between getting an announced final season, and to wrap up your show because you just have to assume that's it.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

El Tortuga posted:

Going off of 30 Rock, I only hope that Community knows it's doing its last season. That's what made 30 Rock's so good. They knew exactly how much time they had to wrap things up perfectly. I just don't want what turns out to be a series finale that's really just a season finale written with the mindset of "Welp. Maybe we'll get another season, maybe we won't. So we better give some closure, but leave things just open enough to keep going if we get to."

I think Dan Harmon already said the season 5 finale won't be a "definitive" series finale. I'm sure everyone involved knows that another season is extremely unlikely to happen, but it seems like they don't want to close the door on it completely. But I agree that it'd be way better if they actually knew it when they had to wrap things up once and for all. Of course the fans are never going to get over it unless there's six seasons and a movie. Not that Sony or NBC will give a poo poo about that. But if nothing else there could always be a movie to finish it all.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Just rewatched the episodes (now they're all nice and HD on the official NBC website - gotta love that) and thought they were even better. There's a few tonally jarring, overly-wacky bits (the Scrubs voiceover, the Dean's French song, the existence of that kind of hologram technology) but for the most part it is pretty old style and character-centric. Plus, in a higher quality and on a TV screen, the dark lighting was not an issue at all in the second episode, it did look more like season 1 and 2.

The show has become a weird monument to Dan Harmon's circles with the chart in the study room, Jeff's circle of truth, Abed's Nick Cage wheel.

I also like that in introducing a 'new' character they haven't made the mistake of going "let's make the first episode ALL about the new character so our audience know them better!" (Which makes the audience HATE the new character because they came here to see the original people: Coupling, Just Shoot Me, etc.)

And the dialogue is back to being so fast paced and joke-after-joke that there are quality little lines you miss first time through.
Troy: Will I get to be a surprise witness? Wait, don't tell me.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

VagueRant posted:

Troy: Will I get to be a surprise witness? Wait, don't tell me.

"How could he leave Scrubs after all Scrubs did for him?!?"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Scrubs voice-over is from Abed's laptop, isn't it? It's not just random.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeah, it's diegetic but it's still jarring. I didn't really find it funny, just kind of hack to end the episode on a recycled JD voiceover.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

VagueRant posted:

Yeah, it's diegetic but it's still jarring. I didn't really find it funny, just kind of hack to end the episode on a recycled JD voiceover.

It was newly recorded by Zach Braff just for the episode.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
If you didn't like that Scrubs voiceover from an obviously older, more disillusioned Zach Braff, there's no hope for you.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Yeah it's pretty funny sorry.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Two fantastic episodes, though I do think it would still be funny if there was a season 6, it gets actual good ratings, and Harmon says "Nope, no season 7, you wanted six seasons and a movie and that's it!"

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

precision posted:

Two fantastic episodes, though I do think it would still be funny if there was a season 6, it gets actual good ratings, and Harmon says "Nope, no season 7, you wanted six seasons and a movie and that's it!"

Considering there was a time we weren't even sure there'd be a season 3, I'd still take it and say thank you.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

precision posted:

I'd be fine with this because it would mean we get a movie.

By the way, I have a strong feeling that the movie will end up being a production of Cool Abed Films if we don't get an actual movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uo0FUyiVYR8

It's a good thing the full film didn't make it into the episode because I would have also been crying at the end.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
The second episode of Community had its rating adjusted up from a 1.2 to a 1.3.

The bigger the mess NBC becomes, the more likely this show that should have ended years ago by most ratings standards keeps going.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

TealShark posted:

The second episode of Community had its rating adjusted up from a 1.2 to a 1.3.

The bigger the mess NBC becomes, the more likely this show that should have ended years ago by most ratings standards keeps going.

Yeah, but the problem is that it might bring NBC to change their Thursdays. If that happens it seems likely that Community will be the first to go, even if they don't stop airing comedies entirely.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How many views did the episodes get on Hulu? A lot, I bet. A lot.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I could see a 13-episode final pickup for Community and P&R. Give them a chance to tie up both shows, and you've got an hour filled in the Fall/Spring.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Pinwiz11 posted:

I could see a 13-episode final pickup for Community and P&R. Give them a chance to tie up both shows, and you've got an hour filled in the Fall/Spring.

Makes way too much sense for NBC's handling of comedy, but yes, do this please.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Dead air would get better ratings than P&R this season.

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

Aphrodite posted:

Dead air would get better ratings than P&R this season.

If NBC cancels anymore sitcoms, we may be able to put this to the test.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

ultramiraculous posted:

"How could he leave Scrubs after all Scrubs did for him?!?"

I can't help but feel this was a lovely line to make Donglover say.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Well to be fair, nobody would buy a single Childish Gambino album if it weren't for Community.

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!
If it makes you feel better, he tweeted that it was a great line.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

If it makes you feel better he's an actor and it's his job.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I rewatched the two episodes on my calibrated plasma, and they looked a bit better than when I watched them on my bedroom set, so everyone who got in a massive tizzy about me commenting on the lighting can relax now. It's still not great, but it wasn't *quite* the dismal attempt I originally presumed.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

According to Yvette Nicole Brown, Donald laughed harder than anyone else at that line during the table read.

Also, you're really oversensitive if you thought there was any malice in that joke whatsoever.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

1st AD posted:

Well to be fair, nobody would buy a single Childish Gambino album if it weren't for Community.

Unsurprisingly, barely anyone did anyways.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

big mean giraffe posted:

Unsurprisingly, barely anyone did anyways.

I read his new one sold 150k so far

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Bown posted:

I read his new one sold 150k so far

Exactly.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Honestly, the Pierce hologram and that Troy line were done very well and a great way to sort of hang a lampshade on their departures. That was probably the hardest job Repilot had to do and it was done very well.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

MrAristocrates posted:

According to Yvette Nicole Brown, Donald laughed harder than anyone else at that line during the table read.

Also, you're really oversensitive if you thought there was any malice in that joke whatsoever.

I mean Donglover is a professional. He's been a writer for years and the Scrubs joke almost seems like something he'd come up with, based on his personality.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Just be glad it wasn't about Shelly Long

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I actually figured it was more a reference to Chevy Chase.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Ghostpilot posted:

I actually figured it was more a reference to Chevy Chase.

Nah, Glover is leaving part way through this season after x episodes.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

superjew posted:

Honestly, the Pierce hologram and that Troy line were done very well and a great way to sort of hang a lampshade on their departures. That was probably the hardest job Repilot had to do and it was done very well.

I was glad Troy saying, "Doesn't it feel weird not to have... Magnitude here?" Be the only Pierce reference of the hour.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I didn't like that line too much. Like, Chevy aside, does no one in the study group have any affection for Pierce after three years?

PriorMarcus posted:

It was newly recorded by Zach Braff just for the episode.
Is this true? I thought it was taken from season 9 episode 1 of Scrubs. I'd ask someone to check, but no one would own season 9 of Scrubs on DVD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's taken directly from the first episode of Season 9 of Scrubs. The music and timing are different, but the lines and readings are exactly the same.

• Locked thread