Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ookiimarukochan posted:

Is it MUMPS? The idea that large banks are using floats to store financial transactions because it's ~fast~ strikes me as negligent if not criminal (I have only come across MUMPS in stories on The Daily WTF so it's possible that there are no actual issues here, but given the content of the stories, I doubt it)

Good guess. It is MUMPS. You can write very, very compact code in MUMPS, but you can also write code that is literally impossible to read ten minutes after you write it if you're not leaving comments. It's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

its been downloading for 10 minutes and its still at zero percent..

:negative:

last check for updates - - 9/1/2011

stevewm
May 10, 2005

drukqs posted:

I've had 7 do that to me many times... Its actually downloading, but it fails to update the % display. If its not stuck, it will stay at 0% for awhile and then suddenly shoot to 90% when its near completion.

But in some cases I've also had it get stuck at 0% for a long time requiring me to stop and restart it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

That's when you set it to go and then go home. It'll be done by tomorrow.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Got a call from the computer teacher at one of my school, she couldn't install flash for some reason. I get a standalone installer and put it on network for her. It works with no issue. She wraps up the call be informing me that 20 brand new computers arrived there today that she wasn't expecting.

Apparently the parents club at the school went behind my back and ordered computers on their own instead of the ones I quoted. I fear for what's in those boxes.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

XP Media Center Edition. Good luck.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Haven't we learned by now that MS progress bars are not to be trusted? They are always lies, filthy, filthy lies.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

drukqs posted:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2775511

This is a rollup of most update made between 7 SP1 and March 2013. Should help you update that rustbucket a lot quicker.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's a site I semi-admin that said they needed help getting their new computer hooked up to their printer. No problem, I walk over there...

Their "new" computer was some giveaway thing. Some company was dumping off old WinXP boxes, and these guys won one for their office... Some busted rear end 1GHz, 256Mb ram shitbox.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you informed them that your time will cost more than that PC is worth?

Goddam I don't know why I get so irritated when poo poo companies spend gently caress all on equipment and then act surprised when it turns out to be utterly useless. It's such a repeatable pattern and you can normally tell the sorts of places that are like it within 5 minutes of walking through the door, but people still get paid for these bad decisions.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Its one of the reasons I'm happy as hell that I order all computers, then deploy and maintain them. 16 gigs of memory for everyone? gently caress yes.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Install Windows posted:

This is a rollup of most update made between 7 SP1 and March 2013. Should help you update that rustbucket a lot quicker.

Naw, I have SP1 downloaded but this machine and its 1.2 jiggaborts of updates mean I'll be up to date on imgur, jalopnik AND slashdot before its done

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!
So an email came in:

"Im getting one of the new iphones, how do i sync my exchange emails to the icloud."

I want to go to this user, start hitting them with a rolled up newspaper and be "NO! Bad User! Bad!"

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

TWBalls posted:

Hah. Unfortunately, I think she only got it within the last year or so, so it's probably still under warranty. :(

Then again, a dropped piece of equipment may be denied warranty. Might be worth a shot?
Leave it near an open window while it's raining.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

well your employer haven't bought you an iphone so you don't know, so you're going to have to apologize and explain that you don't know as you haven't done it before.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We, in our infinite wisdom, purchased device CALs and not user CALs, so anytime an employee wants to connect a device to Exchange, we ask them to give us an account number to charge the CAL to. If they figure it out on their own, more power to them.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
A ticket comes in from a teammate.

He has built one of our especially retarded 32-core / 64GB VMs for a database server and no one can figure out why Windows Server 2008 R2 won't show more than 8 cores in task manager.

I forward him the "fwd:fwd:fwd:re:fwd:What to do if only 8 cores are being displayed in windows" email that I've sent him exactly five trillion times before about setting the VM to have 4 CPUs with 8 cores each to get 32 cores.

It seems that every time one of these 'tard boxes gets built whoever builds them catches a case of dumb as well. gently caress our IaaS guys for billing VMs with 2GB/1core as the basic unit. gently caress dumb people for not knowing what they are doing. gently caress this. gently caress that. gently caress that over there as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress everything!

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
But most importantly, gently caress printers

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress printers bought by accountants instead of people who are expected to keep them running, gently caress people who don't refill paper and submit a ticket instead, and gently caress people who print every single email they receive and act like the printer going offline means they can't use their inbox.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

GreenNight posted:

XP Media Center Edition. Good luck.

Part of me wants this so I can turn around and say I can't do anything with that and they should have consulted me before making the purchase or taken my quote which was at wholesale price with something around $50 off per machine.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Caged posted:

gently caress printers bought by accountants instead of people who are expected to keep them running, gently caress people who don't refill paper and submit a ticket instead, and gently caress people who print every single email they receive and act like the printer going offline means they can't use their inbox.

I got a job assigned the other day to go setup scanning on a Canon imageRunner, everything just goes to a dumping folder on the fileserver, but even that is usually a loving nightmare because ~printers~

Nope, this princely piece of Japanese hardware let me browse to the folder I wanted, then asked in plain English for the username and password, then confirmed they worked before adding the destination to the address book.

I swear to god I felt an angelic hand on my shoulder when I ran the test document through.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
So not necessarily work-related but an incident that happened to a co-worker who was trying to get his wife's laptop repaired under warranty through Dell.

He bought the laptop a couple years back and bought an extended warranty to cover accidental damage and such. Recently the laptop's been acting up, the display sometimes turns off and back on randomly, weird flickering/lines, goes to sleep and won't wake up. He's done BIOS updates, wiped and reloaded drivers for the chipset and graphics, cleaned it out to make sure it wasn't overheating, even backed up all the data and did a full, fresh install of Windows 7. Still had the problem, and after researching, found out it could either be the LCD or graphics chipset causing it.

He called Dell, asked about the warranty and setting up a time to send it in...and they told him it wasn't under warranty. He argued back and forth about buying the extended warranty, and found out Dell's extended accidental is separate from their standard warranty. So even though he shelled out a couple hundred dollars extra, he's still got the accidental damage coverage, but the standard warranty expired on it, which makes absolutely no sense. He got so frustrated that he finally said "OK, so I can basically drop this off my 2nd story apartment balcony, run it over with my car, or something stupid like that and you'll replace it free of charge under the accidental warranty...but you're going to charge me if I send it in as-is to get fixed?" The tech he talked to confirmed that yes, he could do that, but it wasn't advisable.

Not sure what route he's taking, I think he may end up basically trashing it, getting it replaced under accidental warranty, then selling the replacement to pay for a new (non-Dell) laptop. Dell is literally a bunch of retarded fuckwits if that's how they operate.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I know what route I'd take. I know what route everyone would take.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

mllaneza posted:

I know what route I'd take. I know what route everyone would take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsBB93IqJkE

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
I used to love Dell, and my dealings with their tech support left me essentially in awe. Polite, helpful, not full of poo poo, willing to just send you replacement parts, and loving fast doing it. This was near 15 years ago.

I'm not holding my breath for a miracle, but I do hope that Michael Dell eventually pounds the company back into what it used to be now that he owns it again and it doesn't have to spread its cheeks for stockholders every quarter. Remember when customer retention used to be a good thing for businesses? Those were the days.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

drukqs posted:

I had to do a Windows 7/Office 2010 install from scratch recently, on a Lenovo T60 that's at least six years old, on a DSL that could only manage about 100kbps down. By my count it took six reboots spread over three business days to finally download and install all the patches, and that's with me catching that it needed Office 2010 SP2 and installing it from an MSI. Sadly I didn't catch that my source disk didn't have Win7 SP1 bundled, so it pulled that down somewhere along the line. This morning I finally got it down to where it said it only had one update available, some .NET 4.5 client patch, I let it download and install that, it rebooted and somehow immediately found 86 more updates available. I started Wednesday morning sometime, I was out sick Friday, it finally finished Monday around 4:00. I don't understand why there's still no way to tell Windows to just go, install your updates and reboot, found more update after that reboot? Good, install those, repeat as needed. I know you can, and we do, do that on domain devices, but updating standalone PCs is a nightmare.

Also gently caress whoever made the default power settings on Windows 7 to go to sleep after 30 minutes, even when plugged in to AC, and to have it still count as "idle" even if it's actively installing updates. I lost half a day right there.

Inspector_666 posted:

I got a job assigned the other day to go setup scanning on a Canon imageRunner, everything just goes to a dumping folder on the fileserver, but even that is usually a loving nightmare because ~printers~

Nope, this princely piece of Japanese hardware let me browse to the folder I wanted, then asked in plain English for the username and password, then confirmed they worked before adding the destination to the address book.

I swear to god I felt an angelic hand on my shoulder when I ran the test document through.
We buy a lot of Canon Pixma series all-in-ones and I really like them. We really just need the scanner side but it's hard to find a standalone scanner nowadays so we might as well just throw a printer on the bottom for the same price. If you do a full install they come with just as much bloatware as the HPs we used to get, but unlike the HPs it's actually easy to chose to install just the barebones driver and a scanner app, it doesn't force you to install all the T-shirt printing software and web surveys like the HPs. They've held up a lot better than the HPs too, no more mysteriously deciding to no longer show up to the PC anymore after working fine for years. My only complaint with them is that if the printer side runs out of ink it totally locks up the device until you replace it, it won't even let you scan anymore. Also one really didn't like it when someone somehow decided to run a stack of stapled paper through the printer's intake tray, then roughly yanked it out when it jammed. That one's not a multi-function anymore, it's just a scanner now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ozz81 posted:

So not necessarily work-related but an incident that happened to a co-worker who was trying to get his wife's laptop repaired under warranty through Dell.

He bought the laptop a couple years back and bought an extended warranty to cover accidental damage and such. Recently the laptop's been acting up, the display sometimes turns off and back on randomly, weird flickering/lines, goes to sleep and won't wake up. He's done BIOS updates, wiped and reloaded drivers for the chipset and graphics, cleaned it out to make sure it wasn't overheating, even backed up all the data and did a full, fresh install of Windows 7. Still had the problem, and after researching, found out it could either be the LCD or graphics chipset causing it.

He called Dell, asked about the warranty and setting up a time to send it in...and they told him it wasn't under warranty. He argued back and forth about buying the extended warranty, and found out Dell's extended accidental is separate from their standard warranty. So even though he shelled out a couple hundred dollars extra, he's still got the accidental damage coverage, but the standard warranty expired on it, which makes absolutely no sense. He got so frustrated that he finally said "OK, so I can basically drop this off my 2nd story apartment balcony, run it over with my car, or something stupid like that and you'll replace it free of charge under the accidental warranty...but you're going to charge me if I send it in as-is to get fixed?" The tech he talked to confirmed that yes, he could do that, but it wasn't advisable.

Not sure what route he's taking, I think he may end up basically trashing it, getting it replaced under accidental warranty, then selling the replacement to pay for a new (non-Dell) laptop. Dell is literally a bunch of retarded fuckwits if that's how they operate.

This is the first time I've heard of an extended warranty only covering accidental damage. If anyone could come up with it I guess Dell are those people.

EuphrosyneD
Jan 25, 2004

Knormal posted:

I had to do a Windows 7/Office 2010 install from scratch recently, on a Lenovo T60 that's at least six years old, on a DSL that could only manage about 100kbps down. By my count it took six reboots spread over three business days to finally download and install all the patches, and that's with me catching that it needed Office 2010 SP2 and installing it from an MSI. Sadly I didn't catch that my source disk didn't have Win7 SP1 bundled, so it pulled that down somewhere along the line. This morning I finally got it down to where it said it only had one update available, some .NET 4.5 client patch, I let it download and install that, it rebooted and somehow immediately found 86 more updates available. I started Wednesday morning sometime, I was out sick Friday, it finally finished Monday around 4:00. I don't understand why there's still no way to tell Windows to just go, install your updates and reboot, found more update after that reboot? Good, install those, repeat as needed. I know you can, and we do, do that on domain devices, but updating standalone PCs is a nightmare.

Also gently caress whoever made the default power settings on Windows 7 to go to sleep after 30 minutes, even when plugged in to AC, and to have it still count as "idle" even if it's actively installing updates. I lost half a day right there.

This is why I keep a dedicated hard disk that is used for nothing but WSUS Offline. http://download.wsusoffline.net/

It's the legitimate successor to AutoPatcher and is a definite time saver.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ozz81 posted:

This is way more common with Sony however, it can happen. One of my coworkers had to say almost exactly the same thing to get Sony to cover a faulty-out-of-the-box HDD on a new $3000 laptop with full warranty options across the board - the first 12 month warranty only covered accidental and not defective equipment for some retarded reason, and they wanted to sell us a new HDD for $300..

All you have to do with Dell though, is ask to speak to their supervisor and explain the situation.. Unless of course your buddy bought the consumer-level warranty, which means :laffo: Buy the ProSupport warranty or you're an idiot and you'll get jerked around almost every time you call.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 7, 2014

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Install Windows posted:

This is a separate hotfix rollup and shouldn't reduce the amount of Windows Updates that you'll install. They do need to release an update rollup though with all the updates through the end of 2013 and publish a new ISO for OEMs to use that has it included. (Or you know, an actual SP2 release but they won't because Microsoft).

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

coyo7e posted:

One of my coworkers had to say almost exactly the same thing to get Sony to cover a faulty-out-of-the-box HDD on a new $3000 laptop with full warranty options across the board - the first 12 month warranty only covered accidental and not defective equipment for some retarded reason, and they wanted to sell us a new HDD for $300..

Even in the US I'm surprised that's legal. It's illegal as hell in the UK and EU.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
The next generation of Office_space_fax_beatdown.mpg came in...

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Ticket: Lotus Notes calender is missing.

What I thought was the problem was that it needed a new replication. Easy enough. The actual problem was she'd accidentally dragged the "Calendar" bookmark into a folder and couldn't find it.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Great Beer posted:

Ticket: Lotus Notes calender is missing.
Resolution: Lotus Notes calendar is missing.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Removing lotus notes from the office will put me out of a job. At least half my time is spent fixing problems for that piece of poo poo.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Holy poo poo.

(This may be not work safe in some offices due to scantily clad women, drug use, and profanity)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
It finally happened.

Ticket: MFP won't print, scan or copy.

Resolution: Pressed the MAIN POWER ON button.

:ughh:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Inspector_666 posted:

It finally happened.
Ticket: MFP won't print, scan or copy.
Resolution: Pressed the MAIN POWER ON button.
:ughh:
I had a similar one recently but I couldn't get mad because the power button was so hard to find. It was on the front, to the left of the paper trays, the same beige color as the rest of the printer.

Why not make it black or something to make sure it's visible, the people who submitted the ticket had even pulled the printer out away from the wall looking for a master power switch near the plug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The biggest red flag for these things is "can't copy." 90% of the time the machine in question is leased, and if it can't copy it's either out of paper, out of toner, turned off, or the hardware has failed. The first three should be solved by the people whose office it is, and the last one isn't in our scope.

• Locked thread