Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

There's lots of reports that Jabhat al-Nusra are kicking ISIS out of Raqqa, with one hope being they'll be able to release prisoners held by ISIS, including missing journalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Helsing posted:

You get put on hold a lot, nobody ever seems to be in the office when you call for them, and your key files are always being misplaced.

I'm supporting the loyalists. Sure, the First Receptionist has sometimes had to use harsh measures, but she keeps the pneumatic tubes running on time.

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.
Given that European jihadis seemed to flock to the ISIS, I wonder if we're about to see a huge surge in the reported deaths of Europeans in the conflict.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Brown Moses posted:

There's lots of reports that Jabhat al-Nusra are kicking ISIS out of Raqqa, with one hope being they'll be able to release prisoners held by ISIS, including missing journalists.

Man, this is some through the looking glass poo poo. You know your evil when you make loving JAN look like the good guys.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

New Division posted:

Given that European jihadis seemed to flock to the ISIS, I wonder if we're about to see a huge surge in the reported deaths of Europeans in the conflict.

Can't say I'd be sorry to hear it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

New Division posted:

They're mostly retreating and using car bombs here and there. Like 30 deaths in the first 24 hours of the fighting, and ISIS took huge losses in territory.

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

All a US intervention in Syria would do is increase the amount of casualties and intensify the conflict. And make defense industry corporations even more incredible profits.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Does anyone have any idea how the funding situation is between JaN and ISIS? ISIS is certainly more brazen, but I don't know if that's more attributable to bravado over resources.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Brown Moses posted:

Sounds like we can expect a stream of these soon. Be interesting to see if Father Paolo is among them.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

the boston bomber posted:

All a US intervention in Syria would do is increase the amount of casualties and intensify the conflict. And make defense industry corporations even more incredible profits.

I'm kind of curious. Who are you replying to, here?

Or is this just a context-free drive-by shitpost?

Jesus Horse
Feb 24, 2004

Aurubin posted:

Does anyone have any idea how the funding situation is between JaN and ISIS? ISIS is certainly more brazen, but I don't know if that's more attributable to bravado over resources.

This is a great question. Who are the primary backers of the JaN and ISIS ?
Pulling ideas out of my rear end I would have assumed both are being funded by Saudi Arabia

http://www.al-monitor.com/pulse/security/2013/11/isis-jabhat-nusra-rift-syria-jordan-1.html

It looks like Isis is kinda pan-Arabic while the jan wants to preserve national borders ?

Jesus Horse fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 6, 2014

nigel thornberry
Jul 29, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm kind of curious. Who are you replying to, here?

Or is this just a context-free drive-by shitpost?

Charliegrs posted:

This is kind of a morbid subject, but why does it seem like no one is even attempting to keep a body count in Syria anymore? I think it hit the 100,000 mark about a year ago? It must be at least double that at this point I would imagine. The reason I ask is because I wonder if there has been some kind of concerted effort to stop the official casualty count from rising due to Western governments fears that their populations might start to demand some kind of action? I mean if the count gets into the 500,000+ range and its talked about on a daily basis on the news surely some people might reverse their isolationist stance and start calling for military action again. Although I doubt it, Americans have so much Middle East fatigue these days I don't even think a body count of a million is going to change peoples opinions too much.

From a page back, I know, but still worth saying for all the hawks that are no doubt out there.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Any hope one of them will be Caro?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Sad that I'm smiling at tweets about factional infighting by rebel brigades, even if they're fighting ISIS. Ain't like the Islamic Front are a bunch of kittens. Wonder if this helps the rebels or regime forces in long run, from a strategic context. ISIS pissed off everybody to the point where JaN is spectating, so this could be better for rebel cohesion, if not body count. Tha leaves less factional bullshit, but Hezbollah is still better trained.

At the end of the day, everybody still hates the Kurds.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

The X-man cometh posted:

Nope.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Aurubin posted:

Sad that I'm smiling at tweets about factional infighting by rebel brigades, even if they're fighting ISIS. Ain't like the Islamic Front are a bunch of kittens. Wonder if this helps the rebels or regime forces in long run, from a strategic context. ISIS pissed off everybody to the point where JaN is spectating, so this could be better for rebel cohesion, if not body count. Tha leaves less factional bullshit, but Hezbollah is still better trained.

At the end of the day, everybody still hates the Kurds.

ISIS getting their collective cards pulled is probably for the best. It will likely make the FSA and other umbrella groups to be more inclined to receive US support since they can point to ISIS and say that they have been fighting al Qaeda elements. As well, with the recent ISIS spillover in Iraq, them getting defeated in Syria will give the FSA a much more favorable view for Western support.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Muffiner posted:

Syria Comment has a new article up on the ISIS-opposition war. Apparently, ISIS stole the FSA's Froot Loops.

Jesus Christ that article has photos of the corpse of Hussein al-Suleiman, the guy whose death parked the anti ISIS feeling.

He doesn't look like a human. I can't even understand what they did to him.

Non SA articles don't have big :nms: icons near messy links, they should fix that.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
Welp, looked at the picture, died a bit more on the inside.

I wish this wasn't like the 50th time I've thought that so far while reading this thread :smith:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The X-man cometh posted:

None at all. I can't say more than that.

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
They smashed the poo poo out of that poor bastard's face and I can't even imagine what caused the wounds on the left side of his chest. It takes a special brand of sicko to do something like that to a man.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

redscare posted:

They smashed the poo poo out of that poor bastard's face and I can't even imagine what caused the wounds on the left side of his chest. It takes a special brand of sicko to do something like that to a man.

Yeah, that was pretty bad looking, though I have seen worse, you'd be amazed how a person looks if they tear off most of their face with a shotgun blast. They looked like an alien, no discernible facial features left.

Though the really bad part of that photo is that you can tell they did that to him over a few hours time at least, poor guy. :sigh:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Jonad posted:

I'm supporting the loyalists. Sure, the First Receptionist has sometimes had to use harsh measures, but she keeps the pneumatic tubes running on time.
But the rebels promise a new filing system! A more efficient filing system! Why can you not understand this, my شقيق?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

The X-man cometh posted:

Pretty sure that dude is dead. :smith:

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Armani posted:

Pretty sure that dude is dead. :smith:

I don't mean to sound callous, but wasn't that pretty much inevitable, given his habits? It was remarkable that he survived his adventures in Libya, let alone his abortive attempts to cross into Syria.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
So, yeah sorry for the ultra-depressive post; it's frustrating that people have devolved into infighting BEFORE the old regime was actually overthrown.

Anyway, it looks like ISIS is about to stop existing as a meaningful organization. But I imagine that will happen before even the majority of the foot soldiers are killed. Doesn't that mean that groups like JAN and other Islamist militias will absorb the former ISIS people? Wouldn't that make those groups more radical? I know JAN is dedicated to being 'liberal', whatever that means, but how hierarchical and disciplined is their organization? Could they survive the influx of ISIS grunts?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

visceril posted:

So, yeah sorry for the ultra-depressive post; it's frustrating that people have devolved into infighting BEFORE the old regime was actually overthrown.

The less armed and ideologically opposed groups that exist at the end of the struggle, the more quickly a stable society will emerge (of course whether it's a fair, non-repressive society is still unknown but that will always be true). If this infighting is meaning Assad is now more likely to win then that's a cause for concern but otherwise getting them out now will hopefully be for the best.

Also repeating my request for any reports of 'day in the life of an average Syrian'.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp
Yea crazy people make worthless hostages.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

namesake posted:

The less armed and ideologically opposed groups that exist at the end of the struggle, the more quickly a stable society will emerge (of course whether it's a fair, non-repressive society is still unknown but that will always be true). If this infighting is meaning Assad is now more likely to win then that's a cause for concern but otherwise getting them out now will hopefully be for the best.

I think the ISIS was a powerful weapon in Assad's arsenal, a group he could point to and ask 'You want these people in charge or me ?'. And once the ISIS carved out their bit of turf they seem to have stopped fighting Assad and focused on extending into Iraq.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
If Brown Moses says "That's all I can say" with regards to him not being a hostage, I might be a little hopeful that BM has some info that he's alive.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Fader Movitz posted:

So does anyone know how Tunisia doing now? As far as I gathered they seem to be relatively stable whilst the rest of the middle east plunges deeper into despair, dictatorship and secreterian conflicts.

E: haha oops meant sectarian conflict. posted from my auto correcting phone.

Tunisia is fairly more homogeneous than states like Iraq or Syria, which is a cocktail of ethnic groups, cultures and religions. AFAIK Ben Ali enacted really anti-religious laws in the country which inflamed the more religious oriented groups, Al Nahda winning wasn't surprising once elections happened, but i'm surprised they actually backed out once people started noticing the poo poo they tried to pull, so its fairly civil. Plus their army aren't a bag of dicks like the rest of the middle east.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Brown Moses posted:

None at all. I can't say more than that.

Oh poo poo. Welp, RIP you poor schizophrenic man, I hope you didn't die of torture.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
I think the last time we heard of Caro, he was homeless in San Diego.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

point of return posted:

I think the last time we heard of Caro, he was homeless in San Diego.

Nope.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/kevin-patrick-dawes/view

Really hope he didn't get captured by the regime, but I don't see what else it could have been. :sigh: What a terrible way to go.

Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:
-------------------------------->
If someone knows for sure he died, why not just announce it? Maybe he isn't..

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Volkerball posted:

Nope.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap/kevin-patrick-dawes/view

Really hope he didn't get captured by the regime, but I don't see what else it could have been. :sigh: What a terrible way to go.

He's way more likely to be held hostage and imprisoned by one of the Jihadist groups.

walking
Nov 27, 2013
Last I heard Caro was being tortured inside a loyalist prison and the government was trying to get him back. But that was probably just goon speculation

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sergg posted:

He's way more likely to be held hostage and imprisoned by one of the Jihadist groups.

JaN maybe, but obviously not ISIS. The regime has executed Westerners before, so it's not like it'd be an exception to the rule.

Pieter Pan
May 16, 2004
Bad faith argument here:
-------------------------------->

Volkerball posted:

JaN maybe, but obviously not ISIS. The regime has executed Westerners before, so it's not like it'd be an exception to the rule.

Maybe he managed to convince them he's a real doctor, and is now operating on jihadist leaders with hilarious results.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lot of fun stuff getting uncovered as ISIS territory gets reclaimed. Here's FSA soldiers showing a decapitated kids head they found outside of a base.

:nms: obviously. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bObIjIjCVP8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
For once I'm not even going to look at a link in here. God drat though are ISIS human scum, and the fact a bunch of western Jihadists flock to them to help commit crimes against humanity because apparently a first world lifestyle wasn't good enough for them is even more infuriating.

• Locked thread