Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Illuminati by Nature posted:

I've just made the jump from a low end, 2008 pre-unibody MBP to the full spec 15" rMBP and holy poo poo the difference is like night and day.

Apart from a lovely (~30min) battery and some missing keys on the keyboard, my old mac works fine. Do you think it's better to try to sell the whole unit or strip it down and sell for parts?
Yeah I just picked up a 13" rMBP yesterday and it's the best laptop I've ever used, with the best screen I've ever seen on a computer period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
I'm looking to pick up a new monitor with a budget of around £150-175. Primarily it will be connected to a PC and used for gaming, but I want something that's gonna look nice as a secondary screen for my rMBP (so dual inputs are a must). Any recommendations?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So once again, my macbook pro (13-inch, Mid 2010 model) is refusing to send audio over HDMI to my hdtv.

It's an older model Sony Bravia.

I'm using a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI cable.

I zapped the PRAM and it helped once. I tried that again, no go. Also reset the SMC, still no go.

Is there something I'm missing, that could cause this issue? I click option, select output to tv, and the internal speakers are all that play.

It worked fine the one night after resetting the pram so I'm really weirded out as to what could be the issue...

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

GregNorc posted:

So once again, my macbook pro (13-inch, Mid 2010 model) is refusing to send audio over HDMI to my hdtv.

It's an older model Sony Bravia.

I'm using a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI cable.

I zapped the PRAM and it helped once. I tried that again, no go. Also reset the SMC, still no go.

Is there something I'm missing, that could cause this issue? I click option, select output to tv, and the internal speakers are all that play.

It worked fine the one night after resetting the pram so I'm really weirded out as to what could be the issue...

I think your cable may be suspect. Personally I prefer using a MDP to HDMI dongle then a reputable cable. Not all HDMI cables are equal, as some support the newer standards and some don't. Don't run to best buy and drop $70 on a MONSTER one, but a quality one in the $10-20 range at retail or something from monoprice may be a better bet.

As for a free option, assuming you are on Lion or newer, boot into the recovery partition and do a permissions repair on your boot volume. I've had fix external audio issues in the past.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

mayodreams posted:

I think your cable may be suspect. Personally I prefer using a MDP to HDMI dongle then a reputable cable. Not all HDMI cables are equal, as some support the newer standards and some don't. Don't run to best buy and drop $70 on a MONSTER one, but a quality one in the $10-20 range at retail or something from monoprice may be a better bet.

As for a free option, assuming you are on Lion or newer, boot into the recovery partition and do a permissions repair on your boot volume. I've had fix external audio issues in the past.

I actually did get it at monoprice... this is a decent one right?: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024603&p_id=9475&seq=1&format=2

I'll try the recovery first though. I wish there was a way to know for sure it's the cable before emailing mono...

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

GregNorc posted:

I actually did get it at monoprice... this is a decent one right?: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10246&cs_id=1024603&p_id=9475&seq=1&format=2

I'll try the recovery first though. I wish there was a way to know for sure it's the cable before emailing mono...

I was getting at using an Apple MDP->HDMI dongle and a good HDMI cable combo. We used to buy the monoprice MDP adapters and cables, but they turned out to be garbage and were really flaky. It is not worth the $10 or so to cheap out on them.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

Bob Morales posted:

Probably not - the rumor sites would be all over it, expecting a refresh soon.

okay. are b&h and adorama good reseller options? they seem to have the best prices and throw in parallels.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bronze posted:

okay. are b&h and adorama good reseller options? they seem to have the best prices and throw in parallels.

Yup. Or Amazon or Macmall or whoever has a deal going and isn't going to charge your state sales tax

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

mayodreams posted:

I was getting at using an Apple MDP->HDMI dongle and a good HDMI cable combo. We used to buy the monoprice MDP adapters and cables, but they turned out to be garbage and were really flaky. It is not worth the $10 or so to cheap out on them.

Ah, cool... yeah that's makes sense. Do you know of a solid brand?

Edit: I was thinking on this converter/cable pair:

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=5311&seq=1&format=2&style=
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024004&p_id=3961&seq=1&format=2

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 3, 2014

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

dirtyfrog posted:

I'm looking to pick up a new monitor with a budget of around £150-175. Primarily it will be connected to a PC and used for gaming, but I want something that's gonna look nice as a secondary screen for my rMBP (so dual inputs are a must). Any recommendations?

Why not just buy a good HDMI monitor and a HDMI KVM switch to go along with it? Then you could use any monitor. (Or DVI if HDMI makes it too difficult to find a HDMI KVM, I haven't looked for one of those).

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
At Christmas someone dropped their iPad onto my MacBook Air and it split the key cap on the 'A' key. I thought I ordered a replacement keycap but it appears to be the older model. I thought by ordering a replacement for a "mid 2012 Air" I would get the right one but it appears Apple changed it:

The broken key is on the right, my order is on the left. The plastic mechanism in the socket is the original (it works fine) and it appears different. Can anyone point me to the right key cap to order for my 2013 Haswell MBA?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I could be wrong (it's been a long long time since I disassembled a keyboard) but I believe you simply have 2 sets of hinges there. Remove the one from either the key or the keyboard and all should make sense.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sorry for the bad picture. If you look closely at the attachment points on the underside, they are different layouts. Also the A silkscreen on the replacement would be 90 degrees off in this alignment (the cracked key on the right is facing up, the A on the other side is straight up)

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
If your near an apple store they will usually give you a key for free. I've had a few replaced over the years with no issues.

Is $450 a pretty good price for a early 2011 13 MBP i5? It's in pristine condition. Planning on putting an SSD and 8gb of ram into and using it for school. Any issues with this plan/price?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Like above post says, yes, you could go to a Fruit Stand and get it replaced, pretty sure they should have keycaps in stock.

For some reason Apple gets its suppliers to make two kinds of keycaps for the MBAs, one is a D style, the other is an S style. Yours looks like the S style. (Don't look at me, I don't know either.)

Or, you could spend $39 and get an entire replacement set here but I'd consider paying $39 just to fix one key a little, um, extravagant. Nobody sells individual keys either, it's the whole set or nothing.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Hed posted:

Sorry for the bad picture. If you look closely at the attachment points on the underside, they are different layouts. Also the A silkscreen on the replacement would be 90 degrees off in this alignment (the cracked key on the right is facing up, the A on the other side is straight up)
Oh hell, I didn't catch that.
That's interesting, I wouldn't have expected a part revision on drat keys, I wonder if it was a clearance issue or something else?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

smackfu posted:

I would like it if the next step for Mac mini / iMac would be to have default fusion drives with PCIe flash. The base model can have a very small drive, like 60 GB or so, which is only like $40 more in cost. And then for people who want SSD only, the interfaces are already there.

That's assuming they don't just go SSD only and say that you can use external TB drives if you need space. On the mini, that could enable some even smaller form factors.
It's already kinda artificially big cause it needed to house an optical drive before. With the Mac Pro out the Mac mini is now the only machine left with a design taking that into account (other than the old MBP 13 sticking around), which is why I expect it to be up for some kind of redesign.

bolind posted:

I've been offered a 24" LED Cinema Display in a trade. I don't particularly need it, but I could use it at work. How does it compare to the 27" LED Cinema Display (pre ThunderBolt :black101:)? Are they known to be reliable or the opposite?
I vaguely remember people having issues (blackouts?) but I don't know if it was widespread. What are you trading away for it?

Nask26 posted:

Is $450 a pretty good price for a early 2011 13 MBP i5? It's in pristine condition. Planning on putting an SSD and 8gb of ram into and using it for school. Any issues with this plan/price?
Seems like a good price assuming it actually is pristine.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

japtor posted:

I vaguely remember people having issues (blackouts?) but I don't know if it was widespread. What are you trading away for it?

Oh yeah! The first Thunderbolt Macs had some problems with the display dropping out for a half second or other strange glitches. I had a 24" Cinema Display and went from a 13" Macbook Pro circa '09 to a Thunderbolt Mini, and had the dropout problems until Apple came out with firmware updates which fixed everything.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

mayodreams posted:

I've got an Apple cable and it's the same for me. Sometimes sound just won't work, and it's the same trouble with the sound output going to Apple TV (no cable of course). For some reason the problem is much more frequent on my friend's older MBP than on my retina.

It can be pretty goddamn frustrating.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Bob Morales posted:

Yup. Or Amazon or Macmall or whoever has a deal going and isn't going to charge your state sales tax

B&H alright for AppleCare too, then? 176$ there versus 250$ everywhere else.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

esperantinc posted:

B&H alright for AppleCare too, then? 176$ there versus 250$ everywhere else.

Absolutely.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Xabi posted:

I've got an Apple cable and it's the same for me. Sometimes sound just won't work, and it's the same trouble with the sound output going to Apple TV (no cable of course). For some reason the problem is much more frequent on my friend's older MBP than on my retina.

It can be pretty goddamn frustrating.

Good to know that I'm not insane with that problem and my MBPr. Happens like once every 2 hours or so. But straight from the HDMI port.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Anyone have experience with iMacs and Target Display Mode, to use a PC laptop with it? I currently have a 2.3 GHz i5 Mac mini and my laptop plugged into a DVI KVM, but I would like to get something faster than the mini on the Mac side.

I'm worried it will be flaky, or a pain in the rear end to switch two things every time (display and keyboard+mouse).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some of them are DisplayPort, newer iMacs need Thunderbolt. So you either need to use a Mac or in the case of your PC laptop I think you can get some adaptors that cost as much as a monitor.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Oh well, that sucks. I do have DisplayPort on my Thinkpad, but obviously not Thunderbolt, and buying an old iMac would defeat the point.

It's kind of a bummer that Thunderbolt and Mini Display Port are compatible ports, but the only supported use of that seems to be plugging a DisplayPort monitor into a Thunderbolt port.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

smackfu posted:

Anyone have experience with iMacs and Target Display Mode, to use a PC laptop with it? I currently have a 2.3 GHz i5 Mac mini and my laptop plugged into a DVI KVM, but I would like to get something faster than the mini on the Mac side.

I'm worried it will be flaky, or a pain in the rear end to switch two things every time (display and keyboard+mouse).

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924

Does the 2013 iMac drop Target Display Mode or is that link out of date?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Bob Morales posted:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3924

Does the 2013 iMac drop Target Display Mode or is that link out of date?

Target display mode works on 2013 iMacs but it sucks because you have to log in (and have a running OS) before it will switch the display. If you have a laptop that means you have to do that every time you disconnect and reconnect.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Yeah, honestly your best option if you want something current-gen is to get a separate monitor with multiple HDMI/DVI/whatever inputs and just plug everything into that. On the upside, it might be the perfect excuse to end up with a wicked schweet dual-display setup if you end up with an iMac/MBP. Mavericks makes multi-display stuff so much better.

It's also worth noting that a lower-tier iMac isn't going to be much faster (if at all) than your current Mini (assuming it's from 2012/2013) unless you're specifically just looking for some moderate GPU gains and the speed benefit from a Fusion drive. At the minimum, I'd be considering one of the 27" ones if I were you (and then you'd have to go with 2560x1440 for the extra display or the comparatively low resolution of 1080p would drive you loving nuts).

But obviously, the only reasonable answer is a Mac Pro. :getin:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 3, 2014

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp still no rMBP of any vintage available on the Apple Refurb store as I type this, but they have refurbs of the latest AEBS (802.11ac) available for $169, $30 bucks off. Woo hoo.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Welp still no rMBP of any vintage available on the Apple Refurb store as I type this
It's been a ghost town for a week. I've been checking non-stop lately.

CanuckBassist
Mar 20, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It's been a ghost town for a week. I've been checking non-stop lately.

Are you guys aware of refurb.me? Email/text/phone notification of specific models becoming available on the refurb site. I don't know how well it works since I saw the Mac mini I was waiting for about a minute before I got a notification. Maybe I was just lucky.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm waiting on a model that hasn't yet appeared in the refurb store before, which last I checked none of the alert sites can handle.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't know I just set an alert for macbook pros released after mid 2012.

the the
Oct 3, 2004
I need a mac because I want to do some IOS development. I'm pretty much decided my next laptop is going to be a Macbook 13". The best one in terms of spec and moderate cost seems to be the Retina 13" 2.4GHz i5 with 8gig of RAM and 250gig SSD.

With RAM not upgradable and my knowledge of Macs limited is 8 gig of RAM sufficient? Should I bite the bullet and get 16gig now?

The last mac I had was a Macintosh LC475 so I'm a bit clueless with the new hardware.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

the the posted:

I need a mac because I want to do some IOS development. I'm pretty much decided my next laptop is going to be a Macbook 13". The best one in terms of spec and moderate cost seems to be the Retina 13" 2.4GHz i5 with 8gig of RAM and 250gig SSD.

With RAM not upgradable and my knowledge of Macs limited is 8 gig of RAM sufficient? Should I bite the bullet and get 16gig now?

The last mac I had was a Macintosh LC475 so I'm a bit clueless with the new hardware.

8 is plenty

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

My new 13" rMBP is doing something weird. Whenever it wakes from sleep whilst using battery power, it really struggles to join a wifi network. I typically have to wait 20 secs, turn off wifi, then enable it before it'll join my network. It didn't do this when I first got the laptop about a month ago; it started about 2 weeks ago. If it's plugged into the mains, then it wakes up and joins the network perfectly. This is reproducible 100% of the time.

Has anyone else encountered an issue like this? I just want to double check that there's no easy way to resolve this before I take it to the Apple Store to be looked at.

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
I really wanted 8gb of memory in my MBA because everyone says I should get that. However Amazon only had 4gb models so I ordered one of those. Am I really going to regret that? I'm really only going to use it for browsing the web and watching videos.

Don't ask me why I insist on ordering from amazon and not apple; I don't have a rational reason.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

DIY Fusion drive in a Mac mini is certainly not fun, but it sure does make it a hell of a lot faster. Even stuff like playing a movie in iTunes that is on an external drive now has no delay after clicking on it, and I always figured that was due to the external drive.

I wish Apple let you get the low end mini with Fusion drive. Also $200 is a bit much nowadays where the drive is only $100.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

smackfu posted:

DIY Fusion drive in a Mac mini is certainly not fun, but it sure does make it a hell of a lot faster. Even stuff like playing a movie in iTunes that is on an external drive now has no delay after clicking on it, and I always figured that was due to the external drive.

I wish Apple let you get the low end mini with Fusion drive. Also $200 is a bit much nowadays where the drive is only $100.
I've done it about 5 times in 3 Mac minis that I've owned and I'm a pro at it now. It's like 8 screws, two pulls, and then everything comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Rexim posted:

I really wanted 8gb of memory in my MBA because everyone says I should get that. However Amazon only had 4gb models so I ordered one of those. Am I really going to regret that? I'm really only going to use it for browsing the web and watching videos.

Don't ask me why I insist on ordering from amazon and not apple; I don't have a rational reason.

4GB is fine