Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mary Fucking Poppins
Aug 1, 2002
Any recommendations on a gravity filter? I have an REI gift card that I'd like to use up. The Platypus systems have good reviews, but there seems to be an unusually high number saying that the filter gets clogged quickly and requires backflushing after every use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
It does require constant back flushing in my experience. Also, it is better when shared in a large group. For one guy, it makes a lot of water, you could be better served by aqua Mira drops.

Are your water sources seeps or streams? Slow and shallow sources are better accessed with a pump where the gravity ones work better with fast deep clear water. If using a pump, rubber band a coffee filter to the suction bell and it will preserve the filter much better.

I own aqua Mira, a katadyn hiker and the platapus gravity as well as a free steripen I found. They all have their strengths.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Mary loving Poppins posted:

Any recommendations on a gravity filter? I have an REI gift card that I'd like to use up. The Platypus systems have good reviews, but there seems to be an unusually high number saying that the filter gets clogged quickly and requires backflushing after every use.

I love mine and have never had problems with it. Most of my water has come from fairly clear running streams and rivers so I've never run into slow filtering problems. Just watch what you put into it I suppose and expect a filter to clog if its very silty water. All filters can clog with enough use and dirty water.

It does provide a lot of water and quick with minimal effort. Best filter in my mind if the water is deep enough. Great for a lot of people but you can always just bring the dirty bag and the filter hose (and use your reservoir for the clean bag) to save space. By far one of the best $100 I've spent on gear.

Verman fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 2, 2014

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Also even more minimal than frees... Checkout the Hyperfeel run and Hyperfeel trail, frees are better for more people as they provide some cushioning, the Hyperfeel feels like wearing socks though, they're pretty awesome. The flyknit frees came out recently too and are also super comfortable.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I had new balance MT20s and I really liked them but they developed a tear within a few months. Ran in them and wore them on a couple of hikes, including one that was about 10 miles over very rocky and wet terrain. They gave me a replacement set of 1010s, which I haven't even worn yet. inov-8 makes zero drop really thin soled trail runners which I might look into next.

Lately we have had warm weather where all the snow melts and then re-freezes so all of the trails are sheets of ice. Put screws in the bottom of my boots today and they rocked. Walking on ice is like walking on dry ground:

3-4 of them pulled out on a short hike though. Should have probably gotten slightly bigger screws. Went with #6x3/8 sheet metal screws (not self tapping). Think 1/2" would still be ok or maybe just #8 screws would have a little more purchase.

Also got some helly hansen softshell pants for christmas and they kick rear end, and actually fit me. I'm tall and thin and have had a hard time finding anything with a 34" inseam, let alone something with a 30-32" waist. Can get the 32s tight enough thanks to little adjustment things an they are actually long enough in just the regular sizing. So yeah, if you are tall look into their stuff. I tried on the REI mistral pants which are 32x32 and they were comically short. The sales girl actually laughed when I came out of the dressing room.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
These cost about $40 more than screws, but they last for years, take about 5 seconds to put on, and won't tear up your boots. I look back on the days before I had them and feel nothing but pity for my former self.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Uh, yeah, they cost $40 more than screws. And these boots are over ten years old, and I only wear them on the occasional hike during the winter. If I wanted something to slip on I would go with kahtoola microspikes though.

Mary Fucking Poppins
Aug 1, 2002

Mercury Ballistic posted:

It does require constant back flushing in my experience. Also, it is better when shared in a large group. For one guy, it makes a lot of water, you could be better served by aqua Mira drops.

Are your water sources seeps or streams? Slow and shallow sources are better accessed with a pump where the gravity ones work better with fast deep clear water. If using a pump, rubber band a coffee filter to the suction bell and it will preserve the filter much better.

I own aqua Mira, a katadyn hiker and the platapus gravity as well as a free steripen I found. They all have their strengths.
Most of my use would probably be lake water. So maybe I would be best served by a pump? I've always gotten by on Polar Pure iodine crystals in the past, but I'm looking for something that produces better tasting water but doesn't require a ton of maintenance. I would always bring the iodine as a backup, though.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Aqua Mira has almost no taste, and what is there is IMO much better than iodine. Can't beat the weight either, at maybe an ounce or so. Once again though, great for small streams, kinda lovely for slow seeps or ponds unless you are cool with drinking sediment

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
If you happen to bring a portable bucket, you can fill it up with water and then let it sit for a bit for all the crap to settle at the bottom and then fill your bottles out of that and treat it with aqua mira

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Have I missed any good books about hiking the big trails?

I've read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (excellent), As Far as the Eye Can See by David Brill (reads like a community college writing assignment), Wild by Cheryl Strayed (pretty good), and The Cactus Eaters by Dan White (a book-length e/n thread, obsessed with how sexy his ex-girlfriend was). It's been a while since I found any others, so any recommendations would be awesome.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Any recommendations for a solar charger that will fit on a medium sized pack or the back of my touring bike? Would prefer it be able to charge an ipad and iphone, but at least the iphone. Also looking for a good down jacket with a hood for under $150, preferably slim fitting and not bulky.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 3, 2014

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Mont Bell makes some slim fitting and light down jackets but they start around $200.

Solar chargers for backpacking are not worth it yet. They take hours to do anything and odds are you are at camp with a low sun when you have the time to wait. If on a bike you may make it work with a generator powered by the wheel though I am not up to speed on that tech.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Bottom Liner posted:

Also looking for a good down jacket with a hood for under $150, preferably slim fitting and not bulky.

I've got the first generation, hoodless version of this one. It's held up well through lots of trips, miles, and conditions. The first generation had some quality control issues, but having seen the current ones, they seem to have fixed them. It's no longer got a double zipper, which isn't great if you're planning on belaying in it, but otherwise it's great. I'd recommend it very highly, especially for the price. Someone in here works or worked for them and might have a better perspective, but it's treated me well.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Any books on trailblazing? I want to know much more about trails and how they got there, so I can get better at finding them if I get lost.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

jamal posted:

I had new balance MT20s and I really liked them but they developed a tear within a few months. Ran in them and wore them on a couple of hikes, including one that was about 10 miles over very rocky and wet terrain. They gave me a replacement set of 1010s, which I haven't even worn yet. inov-8 makes zero drop really thin soled trail runners which I might look into next.

Lately we have had warm weather where all the snow melts and then re-freezes so all of the trails are sheets of ice. Put screws in the bottom of my boots today and they rocked. Walking on ice is like walking on dry ground:

3-4 of them pulled out on a short hike though. Should have probably gotten slightly bigger screws. Went with #6x3/8 sheet metal screws (not self tapping). Think 1/2" would still be ok or maybe just #8 screws would have a little more purchase.

I've done the same thing in the past for running shoes. It might not be the best solution for hiking, but my god would I rather run on ice and snow with home made screw cleats than anything else. Doesn't make you slip proof but comes pretty close.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Time Cowboy posted:

Have I missed any good books about hiking the big trails?

I've read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson (excellent), As Far as the Eye Can See by David Brill (reads like a community college writing assignment), Wild by Cheryl Strayed (pretty good), and The Cactus Eaters by Dan White (a book-length e/n thread, obsessed with how sexy his ex-girlfriend was). It's been a while since I found any others, so any recommendations would be awesome.

I haven't read it, but my husband got "Blisters and Bliss" about the West Coast Trail and now that's all he wants to do.

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.

Time Cowboy posted:

The Cactus Eaters by Dan White (a book-length e/n thread, obsessed with how sexy his ex-girlfriend was).

That's the most succinct and apt description I've ever heard of that book. I put it down a quarter of the way in, when I realized what direction it was going in, and wished I'd put it down much earlier.

I'm not sure if you're looking more for AT and PCT stuff, but I've heard really good things about Tracks, by Robyn Davidson. It's on my shelf at the moment, I just haven't quite gotten to it yet.

There's also Turn Right at Machu Picchu, which I have read and enjoyed. It delves a lot into the history of the Inca Trail, intertwined with a travelogue of a novice taking on the trail with some help. It captures a lot of the frustration of being an out of shape newbie hiking steep trails at altitude alongside the exhilaration of being an out of shape newbie reaching the summit of a steep trail at altitude.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I read AWOL on the Appalachian Trail before setting out on my AT hike. It was a pretty good read.

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.

Bottom Liner posted:

Any recommendations for a solar charger that will fit on a medium sized pack or the back of my touring bike? Would prefer it be able to charge an ipad and iphone, but at least the iphone. Also looking for a good down jacket with a hood for under $150, preferably slim fitting and not bulky.

I have a kinetic energy charger and it's pretty awesome. It's called the nPowerPeg. Weighs a lot though, around 10 ounces if I remember correctly.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Tagra posted:

I haven't read it, but my husband got "Blisters and Bliss" about the West Coast Trail and now that's all he wants to do.

That looks like a guidebook. I want trail narratives, which seems to be a much scarcer genre.

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

That's the most succinct and apt description I've ever heard of that book. I put it down a quarter of the way in, when I realized what direction it was going in, and wished I'd put it down much earlier.

In that case you missed quite a treat, because it only got worse from there!

BeefofAges posted:

I read AWOL on the Appalachian Trail before setting out on my AT hike. It was a pretty good read.

Thanks for this, and for all the other recommendations.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
"I hike" is pretty fun. Lots of anecdotes from the PCT and CDT from a thru hiker.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

"I hike" is pretty fun. Lots of anecdotes from the PCT and CDT from a thru hiker.

That one sounds really interesting. Naturally it's the one my library system doesn't have and it costs $15 to get it on Amazon.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Maybe read some people's trailjournals/postholer/blogs? Oh that Craig had one of the better pct journals this year Imo.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
This dude has a 13-part travelogue of hiking the John Muir Trail in the Sierra Nevadas: http://fordsbasement.com/tag/john-muir-trail/

Gonna have to scroll around a bit to find all the parts, but they're there.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I haven't been backpacking in about 20 years and I'm going on two-day trip into the George Washington National Forest (Virginia mountains) in a couple weeks. Needless to say it's going to be cold as poo poo.

I wasn't a fair weather camper in my youth but it seems a little more intense now. I'm not worried about freezing to death - just being comfortable (enough).

I bought a 65 liter internal frame pack which just arrived today, and it seems fine. That's the least of my worries though.

I'm going out today to pick up a tent I found on Craigslist. It's an REI tent - the Camp Dome 2, which gets pretty good reviews. I'm getting it for $25, which is a killer deal.

It's mainly clothing and my sleeping bag I am concerned about.

The sleeping bag is rated for 20° but it's been compressed into a stuff sack for a few years and I understand that's a Pretty Bad Thing. I plan on keeping an eye out on Craigslist for a deal on a sleeping bag but so far I haven't found anything.

I need to find an insulated mat as well. We have an old foam pad in our attic and I'll bring it if I can't get anything else. I'm basically trying to keep this trip as cheap as possible since I don't know how often I'll go, and I also know how expensive gear can be, especially when cold weather is concerned.

For clothes I've got several good synthetic base layers. I've also got a nice Westcomb waterproof rain shell I normally use for bicycle commuting and I'll be bringing it. It's what's between those two layers that I'm unsure about. I don't have any fancy high tech slim goose down jackets - just a nice slim LL Bean jacket. I plan on wearing my base layers with a winter-weight biking jersey over that, my LL Bean jacket over that, and then my Westcomb jacket over that, assuming it'll fit over all those layers. I'll also bring my Shower's Pass rain pants I use for commuting. They don't breathe worth a poo poo but they block wind like nobody's business and they fit amply over jeans.

I've got Goretex boots so no worries there, and I'm stocking up on wool blend socks.

We'll be cooking over a fire and I'll bring some oatmeal, dehydrated food, hot chocolate packets and granola bars and whatnot. I also plan on getting some handwarmers from REI in the next week or so.

We'll be at Fridley Gap, for anyone familiar with the territory, and I think we're doing a five mile hike to a campsite where we'll stay for two days.

Any other tips/conciderations?

me your dad fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 5, 2014

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
What do you plan to do for water/filtration? It sounds like you already have a pretty decent idea of the cold but always plan to bring enough clothing for 10-20º lower than you expect.

The tent is ok especially for that price just make sure it's complete and without rips or holes. As for your sleeping bag I would pull it out and check it over. While yes keeping a sleeping bag compressed isn't great for it, it won't necessarily ruin it either but it's also not ideal to wander off into the woods with a bag that may or may not be warm enough.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

a 20 degree bag might not cut it, depending on what the weather's going to do. Unless you have a brand like Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends, the degree rating is usually more of a "well you probably won't freeze to death at this temperature" rather than a comfortable temperature. But, it kind of depends on what the weather is doing, and in the meantime take it out of its stuff sack and let it loft up to try to restore some of that insulation. If you go with the "throw on a bunch of clothes so you're not cold at night" tactic, make sure you don't layer up so much that you don't leave enough room in the bag for it to work effectively. You need to have enough space to trap warm air inside of the bag and if you're crammed in their with tons of layers of insulation and bursting at the seams, the bag can't trap any warm air and you'll get cold.

At any rate, have fun! I want to do something similar in that area soon once I get a free weekend, maybe near the end of the month or in February

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Verman posted:

What do you plan to do for water/filtration? It sounds like you already have a pretty decent idea of the cold but always plan to bring enough clothing for 10-20º lower than you expect.

The tent is ok especially for that price just make sure it's complete and without rips or holes. As for your sleeping bag I would pull it out and check it over. While yes keeping a sleeping bag compressed isn't great for it, it won't necessarily ruin it either but it's also not ideal to wander off into the woods with a bag that may or may not be warm enough.

I plan on finding a way to fit my 3 liter Camelbak bladder into my backpack for a fresh supply while hiking and as much cooking as it'll supply. I've also got a 64oz Camelbak bottle I may bring. I figure any other water can be gathered from a stream (I know there are some water sources) and boiled.

Levitate posted:

a 20 degree bag might not cut it, depending on what the weather's going to do. Unless you have a brand like Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends, the degree rating is usually more of a "well you probably won't freeze to death at this temperature" rather than a comfortable temperature. But, it kind of depends on what the weather is doing, and in the meantime take it out of its stuff sack and let it loft up to try to restore some of that insulation. If you go with the "throw on a bunch of clothes so you're not cold at night" tactic, make sure you don't layer up so much that you don't leave enough room in the bag for it to work effectively. You need to have enough space to trap warm air inside of the bag and if you're crammed in their with tons of layers of insulation and bursting at the seams, the bag can't trap any warm air and you'll get cold.

At any rate, have fun! I want to do something similar in that area soon once I get a free weekend, maybe near the end of the month or in February

I was definitely planning on wearing some layers in my bag at night. I'll keep your tip in mind about leaving room for things to insulate. I wouldn't have thought of that otherwise.

Anyone got any cheap recommendations for a sleeping pad?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Why not rent better cold weather gear from rei for this trip? It'd be much safer and make you happier and not cost much.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'd probably invest in some aqua mira tablets at least to treat water instead of boiling it. If I'm not mistaken you have to boil water for 10 minutes to steralize it and from the sounds of it, you're going to be relying on a campfire for fire and cooking then trying to wait around to boil enough water could be a giant pain in the rear end, especially since you'll have to bring pots big enough to boil it in as well. I think the tablets take 6 hours or something to treat the water but you can easily make up a whole bunch before bed. I'd just stick it in your tent with you somewhere so it won't freeze at night.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Why not rent better cold weather gear from rei for this trip? It'd be much safer and make you happier and not cost much.

I had no idea REI rented equipment. It looks like my not-so-local store rents sleeping bags.

So far I've spent $125 on a decent frame pack and a barely-used tent so I can't complain. I plan on taking more trips too now that my gear is building back up. Backpacking has quite a steep entry cost and time commitment so I hadn't even considered it until my friend convinced me to come along for this trip.

Levitate posted:

I'd probably invest in some aqua mira tablets at least to treat water instead of boiling it. If I'm not mistaken you have to boil water for 10 minutes to steralize it and from the sounds of it, you're going to be relying on a campfire for fire and cooking then trying to wait around to boil enough water could be a giant pain in the rear end, especially since you'll have to bring pots big enough to boil it in as well. I think the tablets take 6 hours or something to treat the water but you can easily make up a whole bunch before bed. I'd just stick it in your tent with you somewhere so it won't freeze at night.

Cool thanks for that tip. I'll pick up some of those tablets.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Pro tip: Aqua Mira is not sold at REI, salesman said it had something to do with meth production. All the mom and pop outfitters sell it though.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Pro tip: Aqua Mira is not sold at REI, salesman said it had something to do with meth production. All the mom and pop outfitters sell it though.
you're thinking Polar Pure, which has larger issues dealing with their ability to purchase iodine in bulk. REI carries Aqua Mira.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The 2 near us don't then. Just get it online to be safe

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

me your dad posted:

Anyone got any cheap recommendations for a sleeping pad?

The cheapest pads are going to be the ubiquitous closed-cell foam ones. These make for good, entry-level pads and are very tough. For cold nights, two of these stacked together will provide some softness and, more importantly, insulation against conductive heat loss. A decent pad will do a lot to keep you warm. The best closed-cell pads go for about $30-$45.

For considerably more money, either self-inflating pads or fully inflatable pads are available. Some of the most advanced (and expensive) ones are very nice, light, warm and comfortable. But don't write off the basic closed-cell pads, which are popular amongst groups as diverse as budget campers, big-wall climbers and elite alpinists; the first group because of the affordability, the latter two groups because the pads are absolutely reliable and puncture proof.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

me your dad posted:

I had no idea REI rented equipment. It looks like my not-so-local store rents sleeping bags.

So far I've spent $125 on a decent frame pack and a barely-used tent so I can't complain. I plan on taking more trips too now that my gear is building back up. Backpacking has quite a steep entry cost and time commitment so I hadn't even considered it until my friend convinced me to come along for this trip.

Cool thanks for that tip. I'll pick up some of those tablets.

Take a look at some sites like campmor, campsaver (which I believe gives a %10-20 coupon for one item for first time buyers), and BackCountry Outlet for gear too. Your more than likely going to be paying full retail at REI in exchange for basically a one year warranty and return insurance policy. Also if weight isnt a huge issue you might be able to get buy with a crappy huge/bulky but cheap coleman type sleeping bag that are usually used for spares in peoples cabins and rv's and whatnot.

Also don't worry about the steep entry cost. I don't know anybody who bought everything all at once and went out fully equipped. You start with the basics like your doing and as you get more time and money and find more deals you start to round out your gear until you've got a bag ready to go fully packed to take at a moments notice! Thrift stores, garage sales, and craigslist can all have bargains if your willing to spend the time and effort to weed through the junk for used gear. If you start hiking with a large group too you can probably get some free stuff that is extra or unwanted buy others too. I ended up with a rain coat and sleeping pad that I used for a long time that way.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Don't forget Rei also sells used gear for super cheap. A lot of my local store is mostly items that people bought for a single camping or backpacking trip and returned when they got back. A really lovely way of abusing their return policy when they could have just rented instead.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I have an REI gift certificate that I want to exchange for soft shell pants for snowshoeing and winter/wet-weather hiking (I'm in Seattle, so think drizzle rather than downpour). I was going to get the Arc'teryx Gamma LT pants, but REI says that they are out of stock online and in all the local stores. Does anybody have nice things to say about other soft shell pants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Verman posted:

Don't forget Rei also sells used gear for super cheap. A lot of my local store is mostly items that people bought for a single camping or backpacking trip and returned when they got back. A really lovely way of abusing their return policy when they could have just rented instead.

I went to one of their garage sales a couple months ago and bought my nice Westcomb rain shell for bike commuting. It's too bad I didn't have these camping notions then because they had several nice backpacks and other gear for cheap. It looks like the next ones are in June so I'll have a much better idea by then of what I need.