Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I'll remember that, thanks. Usually the juices go in with packaged gravy mix for the mashed potatoes, but this time I was trying my hand at potatoes Lyonaisse, so I figured, why not add them to the pan sauce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Got some short ribs sitting at 129. I cut the corner away from the lid to a cooler, which I figured would help with energy efficiency.

Tad SG
Apr 16, 2003

Here are provided seats of meditative joy, where shall rise again the destined reign of Troy.

funroll loops posted:

Hmm, the Anova was removed from Amazon? It's like $15 to ship from their site.

I don't see it up there now (other than someone trying to take advantage of it by selling a used one for $450). I ordered mine from them about 3 weeks ago. Maybe Anova is backordered and can't sell on Amazon until they have some in stock to ship.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

a foolish pianist posted:

Got some short ribs sitting at 129. I cut the corner away from the lid to a cooler, which I figured would help with energy efficiency.

Thank you for not using ping-pong balls or floating marbles or lucite-coated dried beans.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

What's wrong with ping pong balls? Though I would say that the cover is a much better idea.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

nwin posted:

What's wrong with ping pong balls? Though I would say that the cover is a much better idea.

I use a Cambro and plan to cut an Anova-shaped hole in the lid. Less insulation than the Coleman mind.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Rust Martialis posted:

I use a Cambro and plan to cut an Anova-shaped hole in the lid. Less insulation than the Coleman mind.

What's the best way to cut the lid? I have an Anova on the way and the Cambro looked like a good solution to me.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I just grabbed a hacksaw. No need to get fancy.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
A dremel tool works well if you have access to one. I used a hacksaw on the Cambro cover but it's not the best trimming work I've ever done.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
A hole saw + hack or reciprocating saw works pretty well too.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Sansaire Update #13: Production Is Now Underway!

quote:

Finally, if you’ve been following the comment threads on our Kickstarter page, you may have noticed some discussion about a patent complaint filed against us. We’re happy to report that the issue is resolved and Preston Industries will be dismissing the complaint shortly. Thank you for your understanding as we haven’t been able to discuss the details of this situation.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So . . .

Beyond eggs and lobster/shellfish in butter, I'm not really sure what the value is to this technique.

Since it seems to work well with tougher cuts of meat, does anyone have any goat recipes that will make me a believer?

Since it is a slow cooked process, it seems like it'd work with Moroccan themed dishes, so hit me with that. I'm seeing a lot of "just a slab of meat" and who the gently caress wants that for a meal?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Shbobdb posted:

So . . .

Beyond eggs and lobster/shellfish in butter, I'm not really sure what the value is to this technique.

So... you're illiterate?

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Shbobdb posted:

So . . .

Since it seems to work well with tougher cuts of meat, does anyone have any goat recipes that will make me a believer?

Since it is a slow cooked process, it seems like it'd work with Moroccan themed dishes, so hit me with that. I'm seeing a lot of "just a slab of meat" and who the gently caress wants that for a meal?

This should work I would think. Just substitute leg of goat for the lamb.

http://marksfoodworld.blogspot.com/2012/01/new-experiment-sous-vide-lamb-tagine.html

The reason why there is so many "slab of meat" recipes is because that is generally the first thing you try when you start out with sous vide, and one of the particular things that sous vide is great at. Sous vide has only entered mainstream use only recently so there isn't the centuries worth of recipes available like other cooking techniques, it something you need to experiment with, and since you can be so precise with it, that is pretty easy to do, that is part of it's appeal.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Rust Martialis posted:

So... you're illiterate?

No, you dad!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Shbobdb posted:

I'm seeing a lot of "just a slab of meat" and who the gently caress wants that for a meal?

Is this a joke

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
If a thick prime ribeye that's fork tender and super juicy is just a slab of meat, please serve me meat slabs for the rest of my life.

Isn't Moroccan food typically cooked in a tagine? I'm sure you could sous vide lamb and then throw it on a bed of couscous cooked with veggies and a mint sauce, but you probably want to do it all together in a tagine for something more authentic.

You can cook other things to go with your meat slab you know...

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Alright, so I've got this slab of meat that I want to cook for a whole bunch of guests.

It's about a 18" long, 6" at the thickest pork loin. I was planning on cutting it in half to make packing it a little easier and letting it go at 141 F for.. 5-6 hours?
It's so goddamned large that I wonder if it's a food safety issue. The other obvious option is to split it in half so each side gets some of the fat cap and just make life a little simpler.

Flavors are going to be a garlic/thyme/butter/whatever sort of deal, finishing doubleteamed with a torch and the grill.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I love slabs of meat

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So those short ribs I did for 72 hours at 129? I took em out today and threw em in an ice water bath because I plan on heating/searing tomorrow for dinner.

I double vacuum sealed them (bag in a bag) and it looks like the inner bag has some gasses or something in it because it was causing the bag to float (I had to put a plate on it yesterday when I noticed to keep it weighed down).

When I took it out of the water bath, I noticed some kind of smell coming from the bag. I thought I had read that this is normal, but I wanted to make sure.

The first time I did these ribs I must have gotten a better seal because I didn't have any of these issues.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

nwin posted:

So those short ribs I did for 72 hours at 129? I took em out today and threw em in an ice water bath because I plan on heating/searing tomorrow for dinner.

I double vacuum sealed them (bag in a bag) and it looks like the inner bag has some gasses or something in it because it was causing the bag to float (I had to put a plate on it yesterday when I noticed to keep it weighed down).

When I took it out of the water bath, I noticed some kind of smell coming from the bag. I thought I had read that this is normal, but I wanted to make sure.

The first time I did these ribs I must have gotten a better seal because I didn't have any of these issues.

If it smells bad, dump it. I usually find meat smells sweet when I don't have anything more than salt in there. 129F seems like cutting it close to being unsafe. I do mine at 140F for 48 hours.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

nwin posted:

When I made 72 hour short ribs I was surprised by the cooking beef smell that came from the double-bagged ribs. If it's a good smell, don't worry about it. If it's a bad smell, you've got problems.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
I'm the other guy who had the bloating bag issue. Mine smelled fine so we ate them. Everyone is still alive. I can't remember if I did them at 130 or 135 though.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Unless your meat is of extremely good quality and you know your butcher has a good cold chain I'd blanch any long cooks that are not going to be at higher SV temps (anything under 135ish).

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

deimos posted:

Unless your meat is of extremely good quality and you know your butcher has a good cold chain I'd blanch any long cooks that are not going to be at higher SV temps (anything under 135ish).

What do you mean by blanch? In this case would it have been boiling the ribs in the bag for a minute prior to putting in the water bath?

As for these ribs, did the smell test again after being in the fridge and these are a total loss-going right in the freezer until trash day. They smell rancid.

Same grocer as last time, but last time didn't get the air pocket. Only thing I can think is when the air pocket caused the bag to float, some of the meat was exposed out of water for too long and that caused it? Not really sure. Think I'll take a break from long sous vides for a while though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That or there was a bad bacteria on the outside that didn't die off. Blanching would probably kill that bacteria is my guess.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

I just made steak fajitas out of flank steak that I seasoned and dunked at 132F for ~20 hrs, then re-seasoned and seared. They were killer, like having fajitas made out of fillet. I love big slabs of meat. :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
How did you season them? I've done flank for 24h with just salt and pepper and it's always amazing.

dotster
Aug 28, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

How did you season them? I've done flank for 24h with just salt and pepper and it's always amazing.

The kids wanted fajitas so I grabbed a basic fajita seasoning recipe and rubbed it on the flank and bagged it. Then seasoned it again before I seared it and added salt and pepper.

Fajita Seasoning (mix together and rub on meat)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon white sugar
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

I have a question about storage for all you sous vide veterans. What is the simplest way to cook-chill-store? The stuff I've read so far suggests bathing the sealed food in ice followed by refrigeration, but an ice bath is really impractical. Are there any simpler solutions rather than dumping the bag into an ice bath?

I'm not all read up on the numbers behind pasteurization, but I assume that I can't pop open a bag after cooking and stuff the meat into a lunch box in my fridge without it (possibly) going bad within a couple of days.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
After sous vide, you can take the bag and throw it in a container under a running faucet. Running cold water should get it down to 70-80°F in a few minutes, then throw the whole bag in the fridge and don't open until you need it. Since it's pasteurized and in a closed bag it should stay good a lot longer.

Even if you open up the bag you should get a week out of it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mopp posted:

I have a question about storage for all you sous vide veterans. What is the simplest way to cook-chill-store? The stuff I've read so far suggests bathing the sealed food in ice followed by refrigeration, but an ice bath is really impractical. Are there any simpler solutions rather than dumping the bag into an ice bath?

I'm not all read up on the numbers behind pasteurization, but I assume that I can't pop open a bag after cooking and stuff the meat into a lunch box in my fridge without it (possibly) going bad within a couple of days.

why is an ice bath impractical? if you dont want to use ice cubes these are a great replacement:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-1080-TL-220-Blue-Ice%C2%AE-Block/dp/B0000DH4M3/

I use the stopper and fill up one side of the sink with water and throw 2-3 of those in there for 20 mins and I'm good to go.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

why is an ice bath impractical?

:psyduck:

sink/bowl/pot/bucket, ice, water, and a handful of salt if you really want to get classy.

Count me in for not understanding how it's impractical.

Mopp
Oct 29, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

why is an ice bath impractical? if you dont want to use ice cubes these are a great replacement:

http://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-1080-TL-220-Blue-Ice%C2%AE-Block/dp/B0000DH4M3/

I use the stopper and fill up one side of the sink with water and throw 2-3 of those in there for 20 mins and I'm good to go.

I'm living in a far-from-anywhere rat hole with the smallest freezer you could imagine. Ice blocks like that would work without any hassle. Thanks for the advice!

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I did my short ribs for 72 hours at 129, as detailed in the link last page. One of the bags was fine, but the other developed some kind of yellow film. It didn't smell off, but I got rid of them just in case. I couldn't find any references to this happening elsewhere.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If this technique works like other forms of slow-cooking, that sounds like it was suet. That's the good stuff.

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Guys I have been burnt out on puddling for a while. What should I make to get me out of the puddlerut?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What's your rut consisted of?

YEAH DOG
Sep 24, 2009

you wanna join my
primitive noise band?
Ehhh usually a lot of chicken for putting in other things, burgs, steaks, meat-on-bone cuts, but not often herb packs or such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Duck? Turchetta? Porchetta? Custardy desserts? Fish? Lobster? Scallops? Shrimp?

Serious Eats' sous vide recipe list, if it gives you any ideas:
http://www.seriouseats.com/search?term=sous+vide&site=recipes

Sous Vide Supreme's recipes:
http://blog.sousvidesupreme.com/category/featured-sous-vide-recipes/

Polyscience's recipes:
https://www.cuisinetechnology.com/blog/sous-vide-recipes/

I'm going to sous vide some baby back ribs for 48 hours and finish them with a phony smoke job, and then smoke some more ribs traditionally just as a comparison

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jan 9, 2014