Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

mishaq posted:

No one is reading power readings off their phone in field test mode except maybe you, most people are probably just going by the bars on the display and it's entirely possible in a given town t-mobile and Verizon could provide similar "reception" even though they're using different frequency bands.

When you work in telecom engineering for a few years feel free to lecture people in Inspect Your Gadgets about power levels on their phones, until then perhaps stop giving out both irrelevant and incorrect information.

But you're just continuing the myth that 1 bar = 1 bar on two different phones on two different carriers. Isn't that worse than what I'm doing, which is trying to explain why you can't compare them unless you're looking at the dBm?

mishaq posted:

There is not a linear correlation between what spectrum band you're using and the number of towers you deploy in the real world. For a fixed capacity of users uniformly, yes you would need more towers if you're using higher frequencies compared to lower ones, but if I'm using lower frequencies I can increase capacity by deploying towers more densely by lowering the power output of the ones I put closer together, like in a denser urban area.

But then doesn't that decrease the effectiveness and point of deploying in 700Mhz anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="423891834"]
But you're just continuing the myth that 1 bar = 1 bar on two different phones on two different carriers. Isn't that worse than what I'm doing, which is trying to explain why you can't compare them unless you're looking at the dBm?

Looking at the "dBm" isn't useful or relevant

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="423891834"]
But then doesn't that decrease the effectiveness and point of deploying in 700Mhz anyway?

No it doesn't.

I'm not going to respond anymore because it's clear you don't know what you're talking about/have assburgers.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

mishaq posted:

Looking at the "dBm" isn't useful or relevant

No it doesn't.

I'm not going to respond anymore because it's clear you don't know what you're talking about/have assburgers.

Well, apparently I must bow down to your superior knowledge, which you refuse to share. Solid discussion, guy. :thumbsup:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
I tried activating my new T-Mobile Sim last night for the nerd plan. Everything went fine until I got to the "fund your phone" part, when I ran into the calendar bug. Even though i have $30 in my account that came with my activation kit, it won't let me activate. Couldn't pay with a card or e-check, so I bought a T-Mobile card off Walmart.com, but by the time they emailed me the code and i went back to put it in, my session had timed out and I had no way to start a new one. I look forward to hours on the phone with T-Mobile support tonight.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
That plan would be wildly popular if A) they advertised it and B) it weren't so easy to get tripped up when signing up for it. Heck, I'm going to have to get my plan transferred from a SIM to a micro-SIM, and I'm scared they're going to botch THAT.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I just started my second month of the t-mobile dork plan and what a deal. I use callingmart.com and I dont have to pay tax, I even get a 30 cent discount. Charged me $29.70 for a month of service. Pretty convenient and cheap.

Can we use referral links?
http://www.callingmart.com/products/wireless/wirelesscards.aspx?rf=8847b1ba-5229-41ca-be7f-07ef535bfb94

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Normally I'm an android phone guy, but the Nokia 521 is kinda calling my name.

Anyone move from an android phone to a windows phone? Worth it?

Seems kinda cool, but I'm a little worried about things like viruses and spyware and all that jazz. Seems like it'd be more widespread across a wide os platform like windows than a smaller platform like android.

Yes, weird worry, but it's there.

Only real downside I can see so far is the horrible color scheme the phone apparently defaults to.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Normally I'm an android phone guy, but the Nokia 521 is kinda calling my name.

Anyone move from an android phone to a windows phone? Worth it?

Seems kinda cool, but I'm a little worried about things like viruses and spyware and all that jazz. Seems like it'd be more widespread across a wide os platform like windows than a smaller platform like android.

Only real downside I can see so far is the horrible color scheme the phone apparently defaults to.

Windows Phone is a smaller target for malware because it's less popular than iOS and Android - I wouldn't worry in that regard. It seems to me, though, that the main reason to go with a Nokia these days is the camera, and that's only an advantage on something like the Nokia 1020.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yeah you got that one backwards. Android is huge, WP is tiny, also Android is the wild west (like normal windows) while Windows Phone is totally locked down (like an iPhone). The problem most people have switching is that there is just one or two things WP can't do that drive most people crazy. If that doesn't happen to you it's a decent OS, and at $60 the 520/521 is by far the best phone under $100.

The vast majority of apps are crap (MS gives away money for apps with no regard to quality) the store does not help surface the quality applications. You'll have to work hard to find decent apps, but don't worry about spyware/virus on WP it's one of the most locked down platforms.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Toilet Clam posted:

I tried activating my new T-Mobile Sim last night for the nerd plan. Everything went fine until I got to the "fund your phone" part, when I ran into the calendar bug. Even though i have $30 in my account that came with my activation kit, it won't let me activate. Couldn't pay with a card or e-check, so I bought a T-Mobile card off Walmart.com, but by the time they emailed me the code and i went back to put it in, my session had timed out and I had no way to start a new one. I look forward to hours on the phone with T-Mobile support tonight.

I ran into this same exact problem. It took me about two hours to get my plan funded (I was using a starter kit ordered on the tmobile prepaid website), and then since I was porting my number in from the get-go I wasn't assigned a temporary number so my phone was in a limbo state for two days before they moved the number over - it had signal, but couldn't use data and any number dialed went to customer support.

Expect to bounce between agents for a while before you get someone who knows what the gently caress. I went from the new service people to billing and back a few times until I got someone in billing who was able to take my debit card number over the phone, then to get my number ported correctly I had to call another number (1-877-789-3106 if you're porting a number and have the same problem) supplied by customer support, and I had data and the ability call out within 12 hours of talking to them, and full functionality shortly after midnight that night when Verizon finally released my number.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
The problem with windows phone is the lack of apps, and the ones that do exist are garbage. If you just need a cheap phone to call, text and take pictures then you're set. If you need anything more advanced you're going to have a bad time. I think even Google Maps doesn't have a real WP app, it just embeds a browser window.

dentata
Mar 29, 2012

r0ck0 posted:

I just started my second month of the t-mobile dork plan and what a deal. I use callingmart.com and I dont have to pay tax, I even get a 30 cent discount. Charged me $29.70 for a month of service. Pretty convenient and cheap.

http://www.callingmart.com/products/wireless/wirelesscards.aspx?rf=8847b1ba-5229-41ca-be7f-07ef535bfb94

Dork plan = best plan*. :colbert:

*except when roaming on AT&T with no mobile data :cripes:

I haven't looked into using CallingMart or any of those other sites yet but for now my workaround regarding sales tax is to refill using the T-Mobile My Account app. No taxes ever! Yet when I do it online thru mytmobile.com or whatever the site is I get charged sales tax. :iiam:

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

If you have a target charge card, you can also buy cards from there and save 5% without any fuss.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

dentata posted:

Dork plan = best plan*. :colbert:

*except when roaming on AT&T with no mobile data :cripes:

I haven't looked into using CallingMart or any of those other sites yet but for now my workaround regarding sales tax is to refill using the T-Mobile My Account app. No taxes ever! Yet when I do it online thru mytmobile.com or whatever the site is I get charged sales tax. :iiam:

They've always charged me tax through the app and the website. Callingmart is pretty great it's instant and I can't see a reason not to use them instead. I end up saving like 24 bucks a year so it's like getting a free month.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

blargle posted:

The problem with windows phone is the lack of apps, and the ones that do exist are garbage. If you just need a cheap phone to call, text and take pictures then you're set. If you need anything more advanced you're going to have a bad time. I think even Google Maps doesn't have a real WP app, it just embeds a browser window.
Lumias have Here Maps, which work just as well as Google Maps. Here Transit was also better than Google Maps for a good portion of time, even though Google has gradually caught up.

The 520/521 is still the best phone deal at that price range. My mom loves her's, but she has very few demands for her phone.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Does Straight Talk sick as much as their reviews seem to indicate?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

photomikey posted:

Pretty much, yes.

If you need ANY type of customer service, you are out of luck.
If you need to change the auto-pay, you need to call in and deal with CS.
If you want to stream anything, you're at their mercy as they don't always follow their own TOS.
Sometimes, despite them finally confirming the cap, they'll limit your data just because and then argue with you if you say you've done nothing wrong.

If you've had trouble with TracFone CS, don't bother with ST as ST is TracFone.

What's weird is, Walmart seems to be backing out of ST as they've been pushing another carrier a shitton so I don't know what's going on there.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

ThermoPhysical posted:

What's weird is, Walmart seems to be backing out of ST as they've been pushing another carrier a shitton so I don't know what's going on there.
I saw Walmart Family Mobile recently. 40 dollars per month for unlimited talk and text and 2.5 GB data on T-Mobile network. It seems like Walmart would rather be it's own MVNO then push another company's. Be the middleman instead.

Of course, no clue regarding their customer service.

Allaniis fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 4, 2014

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

photomikey posted:

Many people say it sucks but I've never had an issue. I even get full speed LTE on my att card. Then again I hardly ever stream anything and use mostly maps, yelp, and awful app. Probably don't use more than 600mb a month. YMMV.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Anyone have experience going from T-mobile prepaid to postpaid?

Long story short, I'm thinking about buying a cell signal booster to make my employer-provided Verizon phone work at home, drop my $18/month Vonage landline and convert my wife's phone from the $30 T-mobile nerd plan (that's actually more like $35-40 after she goes over her minute limit) to an unlimited everything T-mobile plan (that I'd get a 15% discount on through work) for $59/month.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Geoj posted:

Anyone have experience going from T-mobile prepaid to postpaid?

Long story short, I'm thinking about buying a cell signal booster

Does this thing boost every frequency all at once? As in would it re-broadcast Verizon, ATT and TMo all at the same time in the house? Or do you have to set it to one specific carrier at a time?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
According to the specifications:

Amazon product page posted:

Dual-band device works with 800/1900 MHz frequencies from all major carriers

I should have added that my wife routinely has 3-4 bars in our basement and full strength upstairs (there's a T-Mobile tower less than a block away) vs the no signal downstairs/one bar upstairs with a bunch of dead spots I get, so I only really need the booster to work for Verizon.

And to clear up any further questions, I don't really need it to boost Verizon LTE as I have my own broadband connection with whole-house wifi. e: and I can't use the Verizon IP based booster because I don't have my own Verizon account and my employer's mobile services group won't even help me provision one if I pay for it out of pocket.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 6, 2014

Mochiloc
Dec 30, 2001

Mochiloc posted:

Just got done porting my number to Aio and got set up on a Nexus 5. I'll post a report once I use it for a few weeks. (I'm in Central NJ)

Following up on this - probably jinxing myself here but so far, I'm really liking Aio. Easy port, same basic service level as I had with Verizon after I edited my APNs to be able to receive MMS/data service (which you have to do on Kit Kat).

I'm on WiFi most of the day so take this all with a grain of salt, but I have no complaints whatsoever so far. Half the price for the same service.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

r0ck0 posted:

Is this the one you use for the dork plan?
http://www.callingmart.com/products/wireless/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=265&name=T-Mobile-Monthly-Plan
It looks like the most likely tmobile option on callingmart but it doesn't list the $30/mo unlimited data/text 100 min as one of the options.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

Mochiloc posted:

Following up on this - probably jinxing myself here but so far, I'm really liking Aio. Easy port, same basic service level as I had with Verizon after I edited my APNs to be able to receive MMS/data service (which you have to do on Kit Kat).

I'm on WiFi most of the day so take this all with a grain of salt, but I have no complaints whatsoever so far. Half the price for the same service.

What are your apn settings?

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005

Saint Fu posted:

http://www.callingmart.com/products/wireless/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=265&name=T-Mobile-Monthly-Plan
It looks like the most likely tmobile option on callingmart but it doesn't list the $30/mo unlimited data/text 100 min as one of the options.

I use this one http://www.callingmart.com/products/wireless/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=149&name=T-Mobile-To-Go-RTR/Topup---Auto-Load-To-Phone

I don't think it matters which one you use, all it does is add $30 to your account.

Mochiloc
Dec 30, 2001

TLG James posted:

What are your apn settings?

Settings to change:

Name - whatever (named mine aio apn)
APN - ndo
MMSC - http://mmsc.aiowireless.net
MMS proxy - proxy.aiowireless.net
MMS port - 80
MCC - 310
MNC - 150
APN type - default,mms,fota,hipri,supl

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Saint Fu posted:

If you want them to load the minutes directly to your tmobile account use the following option. this is the most convenient way, you just set the payment date(s) and its hands off.

T-Mobile To Go RTR/Topup - Auto Load To Phone

http://www.callingmart.com/products/wireless/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=149&name=T-Mobile-To-Go-RTR/Topup---Auto-Load-To-Phone

My referral link:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Cool, so in theory I should be able to disable the auto charge to my CC I initially set up with T-mo and just buy these guys instead? To be clear, I want to be able to renew my monthly dork plan at a discount, I don't want to pay $30 for 160 minutes.

Rooster Brooster
Mar 30, 2001

Maybe it doesn't really matter anymore.

Saint Fu posted:

I use this one to reload mine- they confirm your phone the first time then email you the PIN and you apply it to your account using TMO online (or by phone).

Edit to clarify: Reload just the $30/month, not adding extra minutes. It actually just adds money to your account so it'll get used to reload or for minutes if you're out, just like if you'd loaded money directly.

Rooster Brooster fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 8, 2014

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just do this for the dork plan:

Should be in the OP (maybe it is, haven't looked)

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
I realise that Straight Talk sucks, but I'm a broke-rear end poor who has been stuck on a Tracfone for the last two years, and it looks like Straight Talk would be my best option to get cheap unlimited minutes on this hand-me-down jailbroken iPhone 3Gs I have. Plus, it appears I would be able to port my number over.

Is Straight Talk still my best option these days? Is it at least tolerable suck?

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Zohn posted:

I realise that Straight Talk sucks, but I'm a broke-rear end poor who has been stuck on a Tracfone for the last two years, and it looks like Straight Talk would be my best option to get cheap unlimited minutes on this hand-me-down jailbroken iPhone 3Gs I have. Plus, it appears I would be able to port my number over.

Is Straight Talk still my best option these days? Is it at least tolerable suck?

In my experience, it's been tolerable suck. It's been perfect for me, but my wife had some issues when she ported her number over, due to miscommunication from the customer service reps.

When I say tolerable suck, that's due to the CS issues. From a technical standpoint, the service (cell, not CS) has been outstanding.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ok, potential retard question here, but just checking before I do something stupid.

Microsoft has the nokia 521 on sale for 69$. I want to get it to use it with tmobile.

I'd LIKE to transfer my number from virgin mobile to tmobile.

HOWEVER

I'd also like to get the cheapy plan from walmart for 30$ a month since I barely use the damned thing as is.

SO... I have a tmobile sim I got from tmobile.com when they were free, and I want to buy the phone from microsoft. I'm assuming that kills any chance of getting the 30$ plan from tmobile.

Is it possible to go to wal mart and buy a sim card for the phone?

Just wondering the best route to go about getting the phone and the cheap plan.

Edit - What's confusing me is the "Or activated on tmobile.com" part of the plan description.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 11, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Just get the phone and activate online. You'll be fine. I moved from VM to T-Mobile using a SIM I bought online and a phone I bought directly from Google, never getting near Walmart in the process.

The only catch is that it's for new accounts only, so make sure you pick the right one when signing up.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I used a SIM I got from a T-Mo pre-paid phone ($20, I wanted a backup phone), and then an online ordered activation kit when I ported to GVoice and had to activate under a new number. Simple process long as the website works.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I was going to go straight talk but apparently it sucks

Here are my needs:

I live in North Carolina and need better service than Sprint. 30 seconds ago someone tried to call me and it never rang and went straight to voicemail.
I have 10 months left on my contract (but will pay an ETF at this point if I find a replacement)

I need about 1,000 minutes a month, I used 600 last month but as my business grows so will my needs
Unlimited texts/mms I guess (and group messaging and all that jazz)
Data, probably 2 gigs+ I use more on Sprint but I make no attempt to limit it, I would on another provider

My plan is to borrow or buy the shittiest phone on a plan to make sure the service is a lot better. then buy an unlocked awesome phone (no idea what) if I decide I am all in on prepaid plans.

For something like T-mobile, how much does data get slowed when you go over your "high speed data" Can I control when I use high speed data? Or is the first 2.5gig automatically high speed? Can I still listen to a streaming podcast on low speed data?

thanks

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ribsauce posted:

For something like T-mobile, how much does data get slowed when you go over your "high speed data" Can I control when I use high speed data? Or is the first 2.5gig automatically high speed? Can I still listen to a streaming podcast on low speed data?

According to this T-Mobile throttles you pretty severely after going over your limit - from 4G speeds down to .07 mbps, which is about 70 kB/s. That *might* be enough to stream a podcast.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
When I got throttled last year, I could barely get Google Maps to work. It would take 5-10 minutes to pull up an address.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Welp, took the plunge and ordered the 521. Will post a trip report when it comes in and I attempt to transfer my # from virgin mobile to t-mobile.

• Locked thread