Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Well looks like a friend gave me a free voucher for the Sec+ test, Should I even both studying? It's fallen off my radar so I'm not familar with any new revisions in the last 8 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Do you store arcane information about physical security in your brain? If so, no need to brush up.

Knowing your post history, you do, and you might as well go take it. It's not going to mean anything to anyone outside of DoD or other government IT, though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Well looks like a friend gave me a free voucher for the Sec+ test, Should I even both studying? It's fallen off my radar so I'm not familar with any new revisions in the last 8 months.

Probably worth buying and skimming the Gibson book.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I still haven't gone for my VCP yet but I am kinda glad I haven't. I just went to the optimize and scale class a couple weeks ago and then setup a new lab complete with iSCSI and such. It seems all of the practice exams focus more on iSCSI than FC/FCoE (which is all I use at work) .. so this will give me a bit more experience.

Thank you Microcenter for dropping the price yet again on the FX 6300 to $90 and a motherboard for $20. That makes getting three boxes for a real lab much cheaper.

Edit : Something to pass on from our class. The instructor said that once you receive your VCP you can sign up as a VMware partner ($250) and receive a NFR license for every piece of software (including vSphere Enterprise Plus). This is a fantastic deal for keeping a home lab with all the bells and whistles.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 25, 2013

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Failed SWITCH, but only barely. I think I made a stupid mistake on one of the simulators and also got blindsided by a multiple choice question about syslogging that I wasn't expecting. Oh well, time to get back to studying and take it again in a few weeks.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
I'm looking to jump out of support roles and into a better gig, preferably in the networking side of things. I'm looking to do the two-part CCNA.

My big problem is that I learn way better in a more structured environment than just grabbing a book and having at. Anybody know of any online programs that are really out there to teach all the poo poo you need to know for a CCNA, versus just cramming you through the test?

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
Passed the 70-680 this weekend...barely.

Has anyone taken the 70-685 or 70-686? If so, did they find it easier or just more of the same ?

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
I've taken both the 680 and the 685.

685 is slightly more of the same, but some odd questions chucked in. I'd still recommend picking up an exam prep and give yourself some time to go over it.

To Vex a Stranger
Mar 15, 2004
Rawr!

Lazer Vampire Jr. posted:

Passed the 70-680 this weekend...barely.

Has anyone taken the 70-685 or 70-686? If so, did they find it easier or just more of the same ?

From what I recall, 681 685, and 686 are all fairly similar and simple as long as you've used and troubleshot a computer before. With that said, Microsoft exams are garbage and the people that write the questions should be shot because some of them are "here are ten multiple choice answers. Some of them are right. Choose the correct ones." or 'what does this tab say when you open it as the first option?'

I'm sorry, I didn't memorize what was in an obscure tab at the top. If I'm working on a computer I will click around until I find what I'm looking for, generally in the right location. Or hell, I'll Google it because that's what EVERYONE in IT and consulting does.

Sorry, my little rant against Microsoft and their barely fact checked answers. On a side note, I took enough of those God forsaken tests to become a desktop infrastructure MCSE!

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

To Vex a Stranger posted:

From what I recall, 681 685, and 686 are all fairly similar and simple as long as you've used and troubleshot a computer before. With that said, Microsoft exams are garbage and the people that write the questions should be shot because some of them are "here are ten multiple choice answers. Some of them are right. Choose the correct ones." or 'what does this tab say when you open it as the first option?'

I'm sorry, I didn't memorize what was in an obscure tab at the top. If I'm working on a computer I will click around until I find what I'm looking for, generally in the right location. Or hell, I'll Google it because that's what EVERYONE in IT and consulting does.

Sorry, my little rant against Microsoft and their barely fact checked answers. On a side note, I took enough of those God forsaken tests to become a desktop infrastructure MCSE!

VMware's just as bad - specific configuration options, asking which tab/steps you need to select an option, etc. TBH, it's kind of sad - of all the exams I've taken, only Security+ actually made me THINK about the best answer instead of agonize over eliminating stuff based on MS' train of thought and worldview.

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Does anyone have experience with taking the relatively new 98-365 exam? Babby's first server infrastrucure exam; might be simple but work would like me to take it first before moving onto MCSA.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
I thought there was a method that you could use to "lock in" a test date on the Pearson Vue website without paying. Ah well.

Anyhow, has there been any changes to the CCNP 642-902 test that would not be covered in this book from Odom(Fifth edition)? Its definitely a thick read, but I find that I'm enjoying it a lot more than Lammle's CCNA book. I'm going to try and crank this out in ~3 months.

trunkwontopen fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 3, 2014

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Has anyone had a look at the textbooks for CCNA Data Centre 640-911 DCICN or 640-916 DCICT? Todd Lamelle was author for both and they came out fairly recently.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
Do I go with Odom? Or Lammle for the CCNA study books?

I'm definitely not taking the composite, and will going 100-101 ICND1 / 200-101 ICND2 route. The OP says Odom is a dry read, but are there more opinions? People seem to prefer Lammle in general. Personally I'd want he one that's laid out the best and descriptive.

Google preview let me read a few chapters of their books. It seems like i'd take more from Odom's then Lammle, but Lammle would be the more enjoyable one.

LIFE IS HARD.

Frag Viper fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 4, 2014

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Frag Viper posted:

Do I go with Odom? Or Lammle for the CCNA study books?

I'm definitely not taking the composite, and will going 100-101 ICND1 / 200-101 ICND2 route. The OP says Odom is a dry read, but are there more opinions? People seem to prefer Lammle in general. Personally I'd want he one that's laid out the best and descriptive.

Google preview let me read a few chapters of their books. It seems like i'd take more from Odom's then Lammle, but Lammle would be the more enjoyable one.

LIFE IS HARD.

The new Odom book is loving awful. The CDs are good though. They're cheap too.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I've been reading the latest Odom book for ICND1. Is it awful in that it's missing information or another way?

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Yaos posted:

I've been reading the latest Odom book for ICND1. Is it awful in that it's missing information or another way?

Odom books have a reputation for being very dry, but information heavy reads. Lammle has good information in his books, combined with a bit of humor, however, in my opinion, can fall flat in getting that nugget of information as to why things work.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

His ROUTE book is one of the most boring things I've ever read.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

psydude posted:

His ROUTE book is one of the most boring things I've ever read.

It's so crushingly boring I'm looking for *any* alternative and cannot find any. The only thing I can figure is that Lammle doesn't write a CCNP ROUTE book because it just doesn't sell enough copies.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GOOCHY posted:

It's so crushingly boring I'm looking for *any* alternative and cannot find any. The only thing I can figure is that Lammle doesn't write a CCNP ROUTE book because it just doesn't sell enough copies.

I used this book for SWITCH, mainly because it had good reviews and was $5. It isn't super exciting like Lammle (sigh, if only :allears: ), but the authors don't spend 6 pages per topic on overly-wordy prose like Odom does. It also covered basically everything in the exam (except syslogging), goes into a fair amount of depth regarding real-world implementations, and has free labs at the end. I have no idea how the ROUTE book is, but it's probably worth looking in to given the price.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER
Odom if you want to learn R&S; Lammle if you want to learn about R&S. The latter is sufficient to pass the CCNA, and is probably a better choice if you are just breaking into the industry.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!
I used this for my ROUTE exam:
mplementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for the ROUTE 642-902 Exam (Foundation Learning Guides)

http://www.amazon.com/Implementing-...ords=CCNP+ROUTE

It pretty much feels like the "textbook" they build the test from.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

1000101 posted:

I used this for my ROUTE exam:
mplementing Cisco IP Routing (ROUTE) Foundation Learning Guide: Foundation learning for the ROUTE 642-902 Exam (Foundation Learning Guides)

http://www.amazon.com/Implementing-...ords=CCNP+ROUTE

It pretty much feels like the "textbook" they build the test from.

I have the one with the alternative cover that was co-written with Odom. They must have followed that poor girl all over the data center. No wonder why she looks bored.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

trunkwontopen posted:

I have the one with the alternative cover that was co-written with Odom. They must have followed that poor girl all over the data center. No wonder why she looks bored.

I've seen her on a bunch of Cisco Press and other vendor cert books.

Jelmylicious
Dec 6, 2007
Buy Dr. Quack's miracle juice! Now with patented H-twenty!

psydude posted:

I've seen her on a bunch of Cisco Press and other vendor cert books.

She must have every certification in the world by now...

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

I'm looking to jump out of support roles and into a better gig, preferably in the networking side of things. I'm looking to do the two-part CCNA.

My big problem is that I learn way better in a more structured environment than just grabbing a book and having at. Anybody know of any online programs that are really out there to teach all the poo poo you need to know for a CCNA, versus just cramming you through the test?

That depends. You can go the virtual live training route where you essentially sit through $1000+ of WebEx hell, or you can pay for a video training series to peruse at your leisure.

If you decide on the latter, I urge you to consider CBTNuggets. Jeremy Cioara is the man. He's one of the few people I've seen who can take prerecorded training videos and make them feel interactive and engaging. I'm sitting the ICND2 200-101 in 10 days and, thank the Lord, I haven't had to suffer much of Wendell Odom. (I still bought the books though, for the practice tests.)

Who the hell decided to put IOS Licensing on the new CCNA? :( I'm stuck reading Cisco web pages to figure out how all this new license crap works, because I don't have access to any IOS 15-capable lab gear. My home router is an 1841 but I lack images.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
When it comes to the 100-101, I can say the Lammle book is definitely a good read. I'm up to the chapter on ACL and it's all been really easy to follow. Granted I couldn't tell you how it compares to his old CCNA book.

Speaking of authors and books, is the Michael Meyers All-in-One still the go to for A+? I really got to knock that one out soon.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Passed my 70-642 exam today. Scored the lowest on Network Access so I still gotta work on that. On to 70-640 now!

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

PurpleButterfly posted:

My thinking is the same as yours; I want to keep my cert active by working toward the next level, too. :)

The deadline for that has now passed without my having passed a Professional-level Cisco exam. Back to square one, at least in terms of certificates. :smith: On the bright side, now that I don't have a defined, looming deadline, I can slow down and take the time to go through the new CCNA curriculum properly and do enough lab practice. I did neither of those things for CCNP ROUTE. :(

Thinking I might try to pick up the entry-level Juniper cert, too, because I have access to that curriculum (through work) and I understand that both it and the CCNA require the same basic understanding of general networking principles, which I already have.

Edit:

Zeratanis posted:

Speaking of authors and books, is the Michael Meyers All-in-One still the go to for A+? I really got to knock that one out soon.

Dunno, but he's my favorite author of any cert textbook I've read. He has a friendly, entertaining writing style. :)

PurpleButterfly fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 7, 2014

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!

Cenodoxus posted:

If you decide on the latter, I urge you to consider CBTNuggets. Jeremy Cioara is the man. He's one of the few people I've seen who can take prerecorded training videos and make them feel interactive and engaging.

Jeremy Cioara is the man. He really is a good teacher that keeps you interested and explains the material in a real world perspective. I was hooked when he made a video game reference of the old NES game Ghouls 'n Goblins to explain packets moving across routers over WAN. I got the updated 2013 CCENT and CCNA CBTNuggets and they really are very well done pre-recorded training videos. I look forward to the CCNA videos this Sunday after my little week break from just passing CCENT yesterday. 902/1000! Those sim questions screwed me up because half the IOS commands were locked out for the exam. :argh:

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!
Reached the 5th chapter in the Odom book. OSPF. This was my weak point in the routing portion of CCNA. Urgh. Any one know of any good websites that explain OSPF in a good, understandable way?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

trunkwontopen posted:

Reached the 5th chapter in the Odom book. OSPF. This was my weak point in the routing portion of CCNA. Urgh. Any one know of any good websites that explain OSPF in a good, understandable way?

What part about it gives you trouble? I'm happy to answer any questions you have, or I can write up something tonight if I remember.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

QPZIL posted:

What part about it gives you trouble? I'm happy to answer any questions you have, or I can write up something tonight if I remember.

I also wouldn't mind a short and sweet generic OSPF best practices. :)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

trunkwontopen posted:

Odom does a pretty good (and incredibly boring) job of explaining OSPF, breaking it down into 3 or 4 chapters along the way. The wikipedia article and the network cheat-sheets that I've linked in the OP are pretty helpful for explaining it. Also, Cisco's technical documentation on OSPF could prove helpful as well, although there's a lot of extra stuff in there you won't be using unless you're working with it in the real world or are going for your CCIE.

Speaking of which, I was originally not going to bother going for my CCIE, but I think I might as well once I finish the CCNP because why the hell not?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

MG42 posted:

Passed my 70-642 exam today. Scored the lowest on Network Access so I still gotta work on that. On to 70-640 now!

NAP is a bitch to learn and understand, its a huge chunk but nobody in medium and smaller deploy it. If you need to bone up ever on it though, microsoft has a whole book dedicated to it.

odd you're working out of sequence. Are you familiar with active directory?

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

QPZIL posted:

Pretty much everything. I'm not too much of a moron about it, knowing that it's link-state, and knowing the very definition of LS routing protocols, and the pros/cons between LS and DV routing protocols. I guess I know the basic stuff. If you could write something up, that would help myself (and Moey) out a lot.

psydude posted:

Odom does a pretty good (and incredibly boring) job of explaining OSPF, breaking it down into 3 or 4 chapters along the way. The wikipedia article and the network cheat-sheets that I've linked in the OP are pretty helpful for explaining it. Also, Cisco's technical documentation on OSPF could prove helpful as well, although there's a lot of extra stuff in there you won't be using unless you're working with it in the real world or are going for your CCIE.

Speaking of which, I was originally not going to bother going for my CCIE, but I think I might as well once I finish the CCNP because why the hell not?

I'll have to take a look at the OP, as it's been a while, but I'm glad that Odom, as much as a snooze fest "hey this reads like stereo instructions" writing style that he has, take a moment and refreshes us in CCNA-fundamentals for each section. He does a fantastic and overbearing job explaining why things work, which is what I absolutely love. The whole EIGRP section, I walked out, feeling refreshed and garsh darnit, I lerned me a somethings.

I did notice a typo on one of the pages though.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
For those who want a more course-ish approach to their CCNA, Stanly Community College - home of the legendary $185 VCP course - is offering four courses that teach the CCNA material. Chances are it'll come with some kind of voucher or discount for the exam like they did for VMware.

No link, but if you go to Stanly.edu, then Schedules > Continuing Education > CAS 300051 100 it should take you there.

I'm not sure if it'll be like the VCP course in that it's just slideshows and exercises, but it does present you with the opportunity to ask a human being questions should goons not fit the bill.

echo465
Jun 3, 2007
I like ice cream
Anyone passed the Microsoft 70-646 recently? I failed it with a 646 3 months ago, and failed it again with a 610 yesterday. This is after passing the 640 and 642.

The first time I got pretty well blindsided by the material. I had studied using the MOC and the Microsoft Press R2 book and holy poo poo, it was like I studied German to take a test on Spanish cooking. This time I added the Transcender tests, and I would practice test, study the Technet articles and lab what I got wrong, and repeat. I still managed to get questions in areas I had no idea about.

I've been a windows admin for 13 goddamn years and have done Microsoft tests off and on for most of that time, I should be able to pass this. gently caress.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm taking CCNA+Wireless in a week or two - just finished the classes - to renew my base CCNA and go up a bit. I know how this goes - not asking what's on the test - but can those of you who have taken it kind of ballpark its difficulty as compared to the base CCNA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

echo465 posted:

Anyone passed the Microsoft 70-646 recently? I failed it with a 646 3 months ago, and failed it again with a 610 yesterday. This is after passing the 640 and 642.

The first time I got pretty well blindsided by the material. I had studied using the MOC and the Microsoft Press R2 book and holy poo poo, it was like I studied German to take a test on Spanish cooking. This time I added the Transcender tests, and I would practice test, study the Technet articles and lab what I got wrong, and repeat. I still managed to get questions in areas I had no idea about.

I've been a windows admin for 13 goddamn years and have done Microsoft tests off and on for most of that time, I should be able to pass this. gently caress.

2008 and taking a 2010 and later test are worlds apart. 70-646 is my last test as well, and i'm dreading it after doing exchange 2010.