Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kraftwerk posted:

Proposed Budget: $30,000
New or Used: New
Body Style: Any
How will you be using the car?: Commuting to work 5 days a week in salt heavy winter conditions and normal summer weather. Leisure driving and track days possible. No family, no kids so carrying 4 passengers would be nice but not required.
What aspects are most important to you?: Fun to drive. Reliability. Willing to compromise on mileage if other costs are lower. I want a good sound system and the ability to handle cold winter weather. I want the car to be able to stand the test of time as I plan to own it long term.

My problem is I'm comparing apples to oranges since I'm evaluating my purchase across a spectrum that looks like this Sport|-------------| Entry-Level Luxury.

I'm willing to compromise between either of these elements as long as my reliability and winter capability requirements are met. Both extremes would make me happy.

Currently my shortlist boils down to this:

1. 2014 Mazda 3 2.5L Sedan - This car sounds like it meets most of my requirements, especially with the Bose sound system and driving dynamics. Currently negotiating with dealer for a possible March delivery. Need a sober second thought. (Cons: Could rust away and look like crap in 4 years, hidden exhaust pipes scream cheap Hyundai style econobox despite paying a significant premium for this trim level.) Seems like a good compromise between sport and entry level luxury putting it in ILX and Verano territory.

2. Mark 7 Golf: Seems very promising. I'd probably get the 1.8T model since my 14km commute is full of stop & go traffic which means I'll be freezing my rear end off in the TDI model without a proper warmup. The GTI is far too expensive here and probably will cost me 40k+ on the road and won't have the same comforts as the Mazda despite. (Cons: Will spend far too much money on maintenance and repairs due to reliability problems. Risky to own past warranty.)

3. Ford Mustang: I'd sacrifice a lot of comforts but still have a great audio system. The car has been around forever and probably shares a lot of parts with high volume Fords like the F-150. Should be pretty reliable and the sheet metal seems rust resistant. In a world of Camrys and Civics I would still stand out despite the car being common in rental fleets.(Cons: Possible winter difficulties, might not be as reliable as I think it is, floaty ride?, not worth it unless a V8?, Insurance might risk cost of ownership)

4. Hyundai Genesis Coupe: Could be a good compromise on reliability and cost of ownership while still getting mustang like features. (Cons: Looks like a cheap plastic car, Don't like the interior, reliability questionable, crappy ride, winter capable?)

5. Subaru Impreza: Meets my reliability, long term ownership and winter ready requirements. (Cons: Slow, cheap interior, don't like how it looks, higher trim levels are too expensive for what you get)

6. Buick Verano: Has most of what the Mazda has with a stronger engine for a roughly similar price. (Cons: I don't trust GM, this thing probably won't last me a long time.)

7. Acura ILX: Mazda has most of what this car has for less money. The Mazda has a better engine unless I choose to get the model with the 200hp engine.

All BOSE automotive audio systems are trash. I don't care what anyone else tells you, it's all garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kraftwerk posted:

I like the Fiesta ST from what I've seen. Comes with all the nice things like nav, good sound system and some leather for far less than competing brands. I haven't heard about any serious reliability issues with it. Only trouble is I'm a tall guy so I will have to go find a Fiesta and sit in one just to make sure I can fit into it.

While we're on the subject of hopped up ecoboxes what about the Civic Si HFP?

You probably can. I can and I fit in nothing generally, though there might have been possible helmet issues.
The optional recaros are tight if you are not skinny, so test drive those if you are considering checking that box.
There were some leg room issues in the base fiesta that seemed fixed in the st. So test the exact model you want.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cacafuego posted:

I've read the past few posts about camaro/mustang, but I'm looking at the Challenger R/T. I was considering the golf mk7, but after the transmission on my wife's Mexican jetta exploded at 40,000mi, I won't be buying another Mexican produced VW, especially one in the first model year. Any word on Dodge reliability? I think I'm going to wait for the 2015 m/y for what is reported to be an upgraded interior.

Stop blaming the Mexicans. Mexican robots build the same as german robots. VWs are unreliable full stop. Blaming the Mexicans is basically racism. Mexicans build reliable cars for most other OEMs. (Also, the transmission may be german sourced).

Also the Challenger RT is a pretty sweet car, but the polar opposite of a Golf. It is basically a big, v8 powered sofa. Get it in a bright color or black. Everytime someone buys a silver Challenger god dies a little.
Dodge is not noted for reliability but I know of few complaints for the Challenger. It is a simple, older (which means time for bug fixes) platform.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I'm always surprised how often Dodge cars are recommended in this thread but to each their own I suppose.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Uncle Jam posted:

I'm always surprised how often Dodge cars are recommended in this thread but to each their own I suppose.

Ehhh there is a few reasons for this.

One Throatwarbler is a prolific poster in this thread and favors Dodge vehicles, much like I personally favor Ford, so that tends to be our default recommendation.

Another is they're selling for cheap right now and represent a good value for the dollar. They're not going to be the best vehicle in the class, but if you are on a budget and comparing midsized sedans, a 200/Avenger can be had ridiculously cheap. I personally don't have a problem with Dodge vehicles, there just tends to be better choices out for the money.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

I've read the past few posts about camaro/mustang, but I'm looking at the Challenger R/T. I was considering the golf mk7, but after the transmission on my wife's Mexican jetta exploded at 40,000mi, I won't be buying another Mexican produced VW, especially one in the first model year. Any word on Dodge reliability? I think I'm going to wait for the 2015 m/y for what is reported to be an upgraded interior.

How exactly is a Mexican built Golf going to be worse than a comparable car built elsewhere? The Puebla plant has made over 10 million cars. Your transmission isn't going to be any different based on what nationality the labor is from.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Uncle Jam posted:

The Challenger is a fine car? What's wrong with it?

skipdogg posted:

One Throatwarbler is a prolific poster in this thread and favors Dodge vehicles, much like I personally favor Ford, so that tends to be our default recommendation.

Another is they're selling for cheap right now and represent a good value for the dollar. They're not going to be the best vehicle in the class, but if you are on a budget and comparing midsized sedans, a 200/Avenger can be had ridiculously cheap. I personally don't have a problem with Dodge vehicles, there just tends to be better choices out for the money.

Every car can be a good car at the right price. I've tried to give people the most complete rundown of the pros/cons of the car to the best of my ability, if you have some objection or correction I'm happy to hear it. That being said the reveal of the new Sebring (I wish they would bring that name back) at Detroit is going to be *the* automotive event of the year. Who gives a poo poo about that new F150. :c00lbert:

Bovril Delight posted:

How exactly is a Mexican built Golf going to be worse than a comparable car built elsewhere? The Puebla plant has made over 10 million cars. Your transmission isn't going to be any different based on what nationality the labor is from.

If it was a (non-DSG) auto then those were actually Aisin(Toyota) transmissions, which you would think are OK, but according to VWVortex, the earlier versions had problems too. So depending on your point of view, either "see, everyone makes bad transmissions" or "there is no mechanical device that VW can't find a way to gently caress up." :v:

For some reason a few years on VW changed the fluid change interval from "Never" to "40,000 miles". Completely unrelated I'm sure.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 6, 2014

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

nm posted:

Stop blaming the Mexicans. Mexican robots build the same as german robots. VWs are unreliable full stop. Blaming the Mexicans is basically racism. Mexicans build reliable cars for most other OEMs. (Also, the transmission may be german sourced).

Bovril Delight posted:

Think about that for a second. Is it really racism because I don't want a VW built in Mexico, or could I possibly be basing my choice based on my past experience. I don't know anything about how cars are built (sourcing of parts, etc), all I know is that I had a VW made in Mexico that fell apart and one made in Germany that was rock solid for 150k+mi. When I leased my Hyundai, I wanted one made in Korea, not Alabama. Years ago, I was looking for a new Honda. I wanted one built in Japan, not the USA. Going by your logic, I'm racist against Americans despite being American myself. If I was going to buy a Mexican car, I'd want one built in Mexico. It has nothing to do with the nationality of the labor.

But, hey, feel totally free to accuse people of racism for preferring a car be built in the plant/country it was designed in. Thanks for the Challenger info.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Mexico is a huge producer and exporter of cars, almost everyone builds cars there. Nissan, Chrysler, GM and Ford all make huge numbers of cars there. yet the only people who are all :freep: about Mexican cars are VW apologists. Yep, it's definitely because Mexicans just can't build cars and not that VW is just Bad at Making Cars.

The manual transmissions in the Challenger are made in Mexico, better watch out!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

The manual transmissions in the Challenger are made in Mexico, better watch out!

Well now, I don't know what to do. My overwhelming racism won't allow that purchase! On a serious note, I did not know that Mexico built so many cars.

e: I also didn't know that VW made such lovely cars. What are generally considered to be not lovely cars (aside from Honda/Toyota I guess)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cacafuego posted:

Well now, I don't know what to do. My overwhelming racism won't allow that purchase! On a serious note, I did not know that Mexico built so many cars.

That same transmission is also used in the Camaro and lots of other domestic cars, it's fine and probably better built than the Chinese-built transmissions the Mustang uses. The automatic is the old Mercedes 5 speed and is also fine. Seriously, the only thing wrong with the Challenger right now is that although it was probably the best car to come from "old Chrysler", it's still a car from "old Chrysler", the interior at this point is quite dated and the auto box is still a 5 speed when competitors all use 6 and Chrysler's other RWD vehicles are on 8 speeds. As you note it's supposed to be getting a comprehensive update in 2015.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Personally I shall never purchase a Volkswagon because I'm not over World War II.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Rhyno posted:

Personally I shall never purchase a Volkswagon because I'm not over World War II.

There was that one guy in AI a few years ago(was it you? :v:) who started a thread about buying a Golf and painting it in WW2 German camo and insignia (Iron Cross), completely unironically. The explanation being that he would use the camo scheme and insignia of the Afrika Corps under Rommel, who didn't personally gas anyone and hey later on he even kind of didn't like Hitler so he was a p. cool dude right? That was the time when we reached peak VW.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 6, 2014

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Throatwarbler posted:

Just the general build quality of all their cars is not on the same level as others. They cut a lot of corners in how things go together to reduce cost.

skipdogg posted:

Oh I have absolutely no problem with Ford recommendations, I think they're quite nice cars. Probably the best domestic but Chevy has been doing a good job lately too.

Dodges sell for cheap but there is a reason for that. Margins are very small on passenger cars. There are just so many vehicle choices I don't know why you'd settle.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Uncle Jam posted:

Just the general build quality of all their cars is not on the same level as others. They cut a lot of corners in how things go together to reduce cost.

That's fine, I don't recommend anyone who is looking for very tight panel gaps and hand stitched dashboards buy a Dodge Caravan, but lots of people don't care about that and are more interested in saving money.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I love VW but the "culture" can be so bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Throatwarbler posted:

There was that one guy in AI a few years ago(was it you? :v:) who started a thread about buying a Golf and painting it in WW2 German camo and insignia (Iron Cross), completely unironically. The explanation being that he would use the camo scheme and insignia of the Afrika Corps under Rommel, who didn't personally gas anyone and hey later on he even kind of didn't like Hitler so he was a p. cool dude right? That was the time when we reached peak VW.

Jesus. Christ.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

Every car can be a good car at the right price. I've tried to give people the most complete rundown of the pros/cons of the car to the best of my ability, if you have some objection or correction I'm happy to hear it. That being said the reveal of the new Sebring (I wish they would bring that name back) at Detroit is going to be *the* automotive event of the year. Who gives a poo poo about that new F150. :c00lbert:

If it was a (non-DSG) auto then those were actually Aisin(Toyota) transmissions, which you would think are OK, but according to VWVortex, the earlier versions had problems too. So depending on your point of view, either "see, everyone makes bad transmissions" or "there is no mechanical device that VW can't find a way to gently caress up." :v:

For some reason a few years on VW changed the fluid change interval from "Never" to "40,000 miles". Completely unrelated I'm sure.

Oh VAG.
Every single automatic B5 audi and VW shares a transmission with many of the 3-series and boxster of similar years. (Some ZF 5-spped unit).
Only VW/Audis have a rash of failures. Why? Because BMW and porsche gave sane fluid change intervals (this is before BMW went stupid on this stuff), while VW claimed it was lifetime. (ZF claims that it should be changed every 60k, the fluid manufacturer said it wouldn't last over 75k). VW later changed it to 100k mi (things still fail, just less).
VW and especially VW of America seem obsessed with massive service intervals and lower service costs. VW and Audi of America changed the 1.8T oil rec from mandatory synthetic in Europe to optional in the US. Guess who got a massive sludge problem?
(Don't by VW/Audis. And if you do, basically service everything far more often than the manual says)

Throatwarbler posted:

That's fine, I don't recommend anyone who is looking for very tight panel gaps and hand stitched dashboards buy a Dodge Caravan, but lots of people don't care about that and are more interested in saving money.
They should buy a Routan instead.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Hi thread, I'm looking into buying my third car and need some advice because I am really really dumb when it comes to this sort of stuff. My current car is a POS W reg Ford Fiesta 1.3 that is worth about £200 at most and I've poured more than that into repairing it the last month alone so basically gently caress it, new car

Proposed Budget: Preferably no more than around £200 per month, though I can be flexible as I'm expecting my incomings to go up soon.

New or Used: New or like-new for preference, new with finance from a dealership would be ideal I think?

Body Style: 5 door for preference, but other aesthetic features are less important than functionality.

How will you be using the car?: Driving to and from work daily (7.5 miles each way) and driving to/from north London weekly (~50 miles each way), both on motorways, as well as some suburban driving.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability, cost to maintain and run (including insurance! I have maximum no-claims bonus but I'm only 25), I would really like something with electric windows and central locking as well. A man can dream.

Thanks thread, sorry if my post is not super helpful but I'm kind of a dummy when it comes to big purchases like this, I'd be happy to answer any additional queries that might help!

E: I'm in the UK, though I'm guessing the £ would have given that away :shobon:

Waldorf Sixpence fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 7, 2014

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

There's a long story behind why I need to buy a car but the gist of it is the insurance company is giving me a check and I need to buy something relatively quickly.

Proposed Budget: $3000 cash plus up to somewhere around $2000 financed through credit/bank, may be able to borrow another $1-2k from family/friends.
New or Used: Used.
Body Style: Prefer some sort of 5-door hatchback, 3-door would be okay too. Looking more for versatility in cargo space than sheer quantity.
How will you be using the car?
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?)
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)
:
I'm mostly going to be putzing back and forth on side streets for my 6 mile commute, but taking weekend trips from Baltimore to DC once or twice a month and maybe a longer trip once a year.

Working A/C would be nice but I've never had it in 11 years of owning cars so it's not a necessity.

I'm coming off a '96 Grand Marquis so at this point I'll settle for anything that gets better than 9 MPG in the winter. Most of my mileage is highway driving, but by time spent driving it's waiting at traffic lights on my way to/from work and the courthouse.

Not looking for terribly much cargo space in the car but being able to fold the seats down (like most hatchbacks) and spreading out my stuff for weekend/camping trips would be great.

The budget thing is fairly flexible, I'm getting about $3k from the insurance company for my old car and can get a line of credit for a bit more, and likely have the option of borrowing from family/friends for a bit more, so I'm targeting around $5000 total, but willing to go a bit higher for the right car. I've basically been driving beaters since I started driving and was planning on getting something soon anyway, so I want to spend a bit more and get something a step above "just another beater". I'd be looking to pay off the borrowed money within about a year and a half, $100 a month is easily doable and $200 can be handled with some budget cuts (which I've needed to do anyway).

Somewhat of importance is getting the car relatively quickly, we're out of "spare" cars and I'd like to be stuck taking the bus to work for as little time as possible. I'm also leaning more towards a dealer than private party since I want at least some sort of guarantee the engine will stay attached to the car for more than a week after I drive it off the lot.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

The default recommendation in the thread for around that budget, especially as a hatch, is a Focus. The cargo space could be better, but it's pretty good. The 5 doors are harder to find than the 3 doors, but it's still a pretty common car, so easy to find in a hurry. The hatches all come with the DOHC engine (which is a good thing). Gas mileage is like cargo space, could be better, but pretty good (I tend to get ~30 with mixed driving).

If you stretch your budget, you may be able to find some Mazda 3s, but they're on the upper end, and not as easy to find.

Private party on craigslist is the way to go at this price level though. Just look it over, and if you find one in good condition, get it inspected. You can get one for $2500 with a ton of miles, but for $4k-$5k, you should be able to find a pretty decent one. You'll have to put some work into any car, but as long as you find one that's not falling apart, parts are cheap.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I'm shopping for a car. This 2008 Mazda CX-9 has 218,950 miles on it and an asking price of $9,888. I'm inclined to like it.

Anything I should worry about?

http://www.toyotapaloalto.com/bargain/Mazda/2008-Mazda-CX-9-9dd231190a0a00021d1db6a97729bb46.htm

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That's a lot of miles, but as long as maintenance has been done, it might not be that bad of a deal. I'm not sure that I would personally pay 10K for that car...maybe 8. But that's just me applying my personal values onto that car, not basing anything on fact or true market values.

I would get that thing checked out with a fine tooth comb though. All of the wear parts, suspension bits, compression test the engine, have someone check the transmission for slippage. you get the point. I drive 20K miles a year and feel like I'm always in the car. Someone put 40K+ miles a year on that thing...

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Jam2 posted:

I'm shopping for a car. This 2008 Mazda CX-9 has 218,950 miles on it and an asking price of $9,888. I'm inclined to like it.

http://www.toyotapaloalto.com/bargain/Mazda/2008-Mazda-CX-9-9dd231190a0a00021d1db6a97729bb46.htm

I dunno, holy gently caress that's lot of miles.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Jam2 posted:

Cars are more reliable than they ever have been, but I wouldn't pay more than $5k for something with 220k miles on it and the factory automatic transmission.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Roflex posted:

I'm coming off a '96 Grand Marquis so at this point I'll settle for anything that gets better than 9 MPG in the winter. Most of my mileage is highway driving, but by time spent driving it's waiting at traffic lights on my way to/from work and the courthouse.

A Prius could be a very good fit for you if you can find one that fits your budget. If you really were getting mileage that poor then it means you're taking a bunch of short trips and that's where a hybrid will excel.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a lot of VW hatred in this thread. As Noted VW Apologist Leperflesh, I feel obliged - again - to point out that while VW's reliability ratings are not at the top of the tier, they also aren't quite as bad as Certain Posters like to make out.

Using objective data instead of anecdotes, JD Powers' 2013 US Vehicle Dependability Study rates 3-year-old passenger vehicles and finds that VW is near the bottom of the list, in terms of numbers of problems per 100 vehicles.

But, most notably, Dodge is worse, so Throatwarbler's promotion of Dodges while he pans VWs is hypocritical.

If you are interested in purchasing a used VW, consider sorting VWs in your preferred category by dependability rating (example: hatchbacks) and then killing yourself when you realize that a beetle is at the top of the list, jesus christ. But so is a 2009 Rabbit, so that's not a bad choice I guess.

Ultimately, though: reliability in 2014 is very different from reliability in 1995 or even 2005. Issues with exploding transmissions are pretty rare. Most of the time, problems that generate numbers on JD Powers' ratings list have to do with electrical gremlins, noisy/squeaking/broken interior cabin trim, poo poo like that. The much-pilloried Mark IV golf/jetta platform's biggest problem was with window regulators. Odds are, no new consumer-grade (that is, non-exotic) car sold in the US in 2014 will last (with proper maintenance) for fewer than 200k miles. There are always specific models from every manufacturer with known serious issues, but they're overall rare.

And no, being made in Mexico has nothing to do with it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
We own a Dodge made in Mexico. Unreliable car bros ITT. :hfive:

Let's stick to more detailed, nuanced explanations of why a car is more or less reliable rather than rely on aggregate numbers, especially across brands. I think I've made more posts recommending the Jetta/Passat than any Dodge vehicles anyway. Honestly as far as *new* Dodge vehicles go the only one I legitimately think is segment leading and worth buying new is the Durango, and there are few people in this thread shopping for brand new full size SUVs. Everything else they make needs to be real cheap to be considered.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jan 7, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Jam2 posted:

If you pick it up for very little maybe. Even the most reliable cars are starting to get a bit scary around 250-300k.

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
I'm trying to figure out if I can afford to spend $9k~ on a car. I've had my eye on getting an e46 bmw wagon for a while now, and one popped up in my area. The market for these is pretty whacky, so I probably won't be able to negotiate very far down from the $9k asking price. I'm not attached to this particular car, but they don't come up often in the configuration I like and its mileage is <100k.

I've got a 03 Nissan Altima that could probably fetch 2-3k on trade in, around 10k in cash, and I'm wondering if it's feasible to buy a car right now. Chime in, goons.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

I'm trying to figure out if I can afford to spend $9k~ on a car. I've had my eye on getting an e46 bmw wagon for a while now, and one popped up in my area. The market for these is pretty whacky, so I probably won't be able to negotiate very far down from the $9k asking price. I'm not attached to this particular car, but they don't come up often in the configuration I like and its mileage is <100k.

I'm no BMW expert, but I'd personally be afraid of a bevy of upcoming expensive repairs needed around 100k mileage. Would you be in trouble if you bought this car and discovered it needed several thousand more dollars worth of work?

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
As long as it isn't too intense, I can handle it myself. I recently rebuilt a transmission. Main problem on these is mainly the cooling system, I believe, which I think I can handle.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Proposed Budget: $20k-ish max
New or Used: probably used
Body Style: I'm leaning toward a 2-door.
How will you be using the car?: Typically for my short commute (less than 20 miles/day) occasional other trips around town/the suburbs.
What aspects are most important to you?: Fun to drive. Fits in tiny parking spaces.

The wife and I have a VW Passat that she uses for her commute, and is plenty big for hauling groceries and other cargo. I'm tired of taking public transit in Chicago, so I'm thinking of something small and sporty for myself. The Passat is great for parking at Costco, not so good everywhere else in Chicago with narrow parking spaces and lovely parking jobs, hence something on the smaller side.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

As long as it isn't too intense, I can handle it myself. I recently rebuilt a transmission. Main problem on these is mainly the cooling system, I believe, which I think I can handle.

If you can do a tranny rebuild, I think you should be fine to handle some cooling system replacements. Plus, wagon.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Proposed Budget: The ideal range probably runs $3000-7000. Maybe could go lower but that makes me extremely wary of what I am buying. Higher is probably not in the budget
New or Used: used
Body Style: I kind of want a 2-door coupe but I am not really picky. I just don't really want an SUV and I definitely don't want a truck
How will you be using the car?: I have a ~15 min commute that is right up the highway. I will be taking night classes after work but that is basically on the way home. In addition I would like to be able to go out on weekends if the opportunity arises, along with longer trips across Texas 1-2 times per year. (Dallas to Houston being most likely, but I can take the bus if necessary)
What aspects are most important to you?: My first car was a hand-me-down Mercedes C280 and one things I always felt when driving other people's cars were
a) the difference in how the other cars handled,
b) the cheap looking interiors/lack of power windows etc.
I'm not in a position to buy another German car but those are the aspects that will probably be the most shocking when first driving another vehicle. Ideally I can find a nice compromise, but that may not be possible, so I'm hoping to just find a reliable car in good condition that I can *ideally* drive for 3-4 years, but at the very least through college (1.5-2 years). The car I have in mind is 1999-2008 range Honda Civic, but I really don't know what to look for besides low mileage, buying from a dealer/looking at service records/making sure its not a salvage title, and taking it to a mechanic (how much does this typically cost?) to check it. Ideally the car model would also be within ~10 years old, but thats kind of a luxury I guess, if the right older car came along I would certainly consider it.

An example of a car that really appealed to me:
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ctd/4276624919.html

I like that it isn't granny gold or beige-colored, has a new music player, its automatic and the listing makes it sound pretty well maintained and its a pretty recent year at 2005. However, 160k miles seems like a lot. What would be the main factors to look out for here? Should I be worried about the transmission failing soon? It says the timing belt was recently maintenanced.

Thanks a lot for reading and any advice given.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

My 98 civic ran for 250k until I sold it. In the 13 years I owned it, I took it to the dealer for warped rotors once at 45k mi, changing the timing belt when due, an accident with a deer and one time a radiator hose blew. That's it. I loved that car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

borkencode posted:

Proposed Budget: $20k-ish max
New or Used: probably used
Body Style: I'm leaning toward a 2-door.
How will you be using the car?: Typically for my short commute (less than 20 miles/day) occasional other trips around town/the suburbs.
What aspects are most important to you?: Fun to drive. Fits in tiny parking spaces.

The wife and I have a VW Passat that she uses for her commute, and is plenty big for hauling groceries and other cargo. I'm tired of taking public transit in Chicago, so I'm thinking of something small and sporty for myself. The Passat is great for parking at Costco, not so good everywhere else in Chicago with narrow parking spaces and lovely parking jobs, hence something on the smaller side.

Fiesta ST - Turbocharged, subcompact, complete hoot to drive
Mazda2 - Handles well, subcompact, fun to drive, but definitely not fast
Miata - Probably one of the most accessible fun cars to drive on the planet

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So I know I already have a post in his thread. I've just kid of narrowed down more and I'm looking for opinions on cars. My budget is less than 30. Trying to stay in the low 20s. I'm single and am looking for something fun, that would run HPDEs and autocross. I'm going to have a beater I can use for trips and DDing. TLDR: weekend and occasional dd car for track and street. Rwd and awd only please.

Cars I am considering:
2013-2014 mustang gt with track package. Prices will be coming down with the new mustang. I'm assuming I would be able to get what I want for $20-25, with very low mileage. What I don't like is how big and heavy it is. And it seems a bit on practical side if I were to still keep a beater.

C6 Corvette Z51, they seem to be in the $23-28 range for 50-80k miles and 2005-2006. The LS3 versions seen like they are too close in price to the grand sport and z06 to be worth it. I like how they look and I like the storage. I just love how aggressive the z06 wide body is, but it's too much of a premium right now.

C5 z06, I simply hate the interior and don't love the out side. The only pros to me are its cheap and fast and cheap to make fast.

Sti: pretty much out because I don't want to pay that insurance. And they seem low power and high mileage for the price bracket.

E46 M3, I love how they drive but they are a bit slow for the money and people still seem pretty proud of them for their age and mileage.

Lotus: the Elise and exige seem pretty hard to find right now. And I'm not sure how much I would like one. I guess I'd have to drive one first.

Open to more car ideas, but mostly looking for positive or negative comments on the above cars.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Negotiating for purchase of a 2007 Chevy Equinox.

0. Saw listing for car online at $9,999.
1. Test drive.
2. Dealer sits me down and shows me how the price is $11,150, but they'll give me a personal discount and sell for $9,999.
3. I explain I am a student on a budget, so the most I can offer is $7,000, but I have cash.
4. Dealer explains this is not possible. Asks me if I can do $8,000. I tell him no.
5. I explain that given a few days, I could get another couple hundred. I ask if $7,300 will work. Dealer says no.
6. I show him the KBB value fair purchase price of $7,960.
7. I suggest I can pay $7,900 taxes and licensing fees included.
8. He says "Alright, let me ask my manager"
9. Comes back and says that manager says the best they can do is $9,000 flat (taxes and licensing included).
10. I explain this won't work for me. I explain that if they come around, they can contact me and I will hear them out. Then I walk.

I understand that I probably was not reasonable with my initial offers. I would like to understand how much wiggle room the dealership truly has. I am willing to purchase this car if I know I am getting a good value.

He claimed that the dealership paid $7,900 for the car, so they'd be taking a loss. He claims its from a trade-in. This seems like a lie. Isn't the trade-in value just a soft figure they use as part of the sale to that other customer? Doesn't this car's trade-in value have more to do with the profit margin from the new car sale associated with that transaction?

Here's the car listed on AutoTrader for $9,500.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngIndex=1&Log=0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think you mostly negotiated OK. The only mistake you maybe made, was indicating you wanted to pay cash before settling on a final price. The reason is because dealers would far rather you finance (through them) than pay cash. So you made it clear they would not be getting any money from you other than the actual price you paid, and they weren't willing to budge more than 10%ish on their price.

Give it a few days and if they still won't budge (and you'll know, because they will call you) then it's OK, there are plenty more cars out there and I'm certain you can find a decent one for $7k.

On the other side, don't expect to get 20% off list price of a dealership car. It can happen (so definitely open your negotiations there if you want), but it's not typical. For comparison, I paid $8300 for a car listed by the dealer at $10k, and I feel like that's about as low as I could possibly have talked them down; and it was the last day of the month, and it was a mazda being sold at a lexus dealership so it was probably not something most of their walk-in customers were interested in.

I think if want to pay $7800 out the door, look for cars listed around $9k.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 9, 2014