Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
you were warned
Jul 12, 2006

(the S is for skeleton)
This is where SH3 really goes all adventure game on you. Look, this engine needs fuel! Look, some fuel! Now go find a container! Look, a platform! Uh oh, you walked across the platform! I bet there was an item that could've helped!

I grew up playing absurdly hard Sierra adventure games and I liked SH3, but I laughed a lot when it started pulling poo poo like that. At least it doesn't make you go down staircases pixel by pixel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Currawong posted:

This is where SH3 really goes all adventure game on you. Look, this engine needs fuel! Look, some fuel! Now go find a container! Look, a platform! Uh oh, you walked across the platform! I bet there was an item that could've helped!

I grew up playing absurdly hard Sierra adventure games and I liked SH3, but I laughed a lot when it started pulling poo poo like that. At least it doesn't make you go down staircases pixel by pixel.

It shouldn't dump you on the menu screen after an instakill. That's the worst poo poo.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Just about any diesel will run on kerosene. It ain't good for it, but it'll run.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I feel like this is where I should interject and mention for those at home that Heather is not in the town of Silent Hill, but is in Portland. There are indications of this I believe in the actual instruction manual of the game, as well as documents laying about in-game. So the story so far literally is: teenage girl is trying to get home to see her daddy and weird poo poo is happening to her.

jack_squat
May 7, 2007
Don't expect much.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I feel like this is where I should interject and mention for those at home that Heather is not in the town of Silent Hill, but is in Portland. There are indications of this I believe in the actual instruction manual of the game, as well as documents laying about in-game. So the story so far literally is: teenage girl is trying to get home to see her daddy and weird poo poo is happening to her.

Portland, OR? We don't have a subway system :raise:

KIT HAGS
Jun 5, 2007
Stay sweet
There are 3 different ways to use the pipe, by the way. The overhead one you've been using, then a jabbing motion (push forward) and triple swing (tap repeatedly). The latter leaves less room for an enemy to attack you mid swing.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

jack_squat posted:

Hmm, maybe I'm remembering wrong then, I can't actually recall where it's supposed to be then, but I do remember it's not Silent Hill (or the Japanese were not going for an authentic Portland and just added a subway).

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

jack_squat posted:

I think it's supposed to be Portland, Maine as a sort of homage to Stephen King. Portland, Maine doesn't have a subway either.

Doom Itself
Feb 18, 2013

jack_squat posted:

I think Heather is in Portland like Silent Hill is near Toluca Lake (which is a real lake in Burbank, CA).

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

I think it's supposed to be Portland, Maine as a sort of homage to Stephen King. Portland, Maine doesn't have a subway either.

That's what it was. It basically fits the original Team Silent's obsession with horror authors.

My original point was that the complaints about the story are unfounded, since Heather is not actually wandering around Silent Hill, but is actually wandering around her home and is just as confused as the player at this point.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Anonymous Zebra posted:

My original point was that the complaints about the story are unfounded, since Heather is not actually wandering around Silent Hill, but is actually wandering around her home and is just as confused as the player at this point.

All that reiterates is that the game is so meandering and slow to get to a relevant plot point that the player can conceivably not even know if they're not in the town of Silent Hill at all.

Just like K&K, when I played this game the first time I just kind of naturally assumed I was in Silent Hill the whole time and nothing obvious showed the contrary until you get there. It's not weird to assume that the town she's in could also be the town where her father lives, there's just not that much to tell you otherwise for a while. But then again, I do not regularly hang out in towns I don't live in so...?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Isn't it mentioned in the instruction manual though? Am I the only person who still reads those things if they're included?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Galick posted:

Isn't it mentioned in the instruction manual though? Am I the only person who still reads those things if they're included?
Not really; and no, you're not. :smith::hf::smith: All the manual says is that she was out shopping "at a local mall" when the poo poo hit the fan.

Somethingdumb
Nov 19, 2011

Wicked grosso, dude

Anonymous Zebra posted:

That's what it was. It basically fits the original Team Silent's obsession with horror authors.

Just because what's happening makes sense in the context of the game world doesn't mean we cant have more story going on. Complaints founded.

VVVVV

CJacobs posted:

We have an objective, sure, but Douglas has only showed up twice and both times Heather brushed him off and that crazy cult lady barely said anything that could be construed as plot-related to you, the player, before also being brushed off. While Heather is going home to her dad, that's not much of a goal because she already was about to do that before poo poo went off the wall crazy. Now she's running around with guns and mauls and paying it very little mind!
loving exactly

I'm still enjoying the game, though.

Somethingdumb fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 3, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As much as I love this game (it's second only to SH2 as my favorite PS2 game), I do have to agree with Kyle and Keith that the plot takes quite a while to 'get going'. It's one of what I feel to be one of the story's few shortcomings.

We have an objective, sure, but Douglas has only showed up twice and both times Heather brushed him off and that crazy cult lady barely said anything that could be construed as plot-related to you, the player, before also being brushed off. While Heather is going home to her dad, that's not much of a goal because she already was about to do that before poo poo went off the wall crazy. Now she's running around with guns and mauls and paying it very little mind!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh and by the way, I can't remember if Kyle and Keith examined the cooked dog after they got the key, but just in case they didn't here's what Heather has to say about it:

So yeah she's pretty bonkers.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Episode 09: Dryer Death
This time on Silent Hill 3: I teach Keith about fan death, a good time is had by all.

19LettersLong fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jan 6, 2014

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I...entirely forgot about the office building. Huh. Rather odd that I'd forget an entire area, but given what a slog it looks to be, I probably just repressed it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My dad died of pancreatic cancer. :(

I still laughed out loud at "I thought I was gonna get another piece of story and all I got was this Insane Cancer" though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Man I really hope this game starts remembering to breadcrumb you some story soon. As much as you guys are described as podcasting over video games, this time it really is more of a vehicle for stream-of-consciousness conversations.

I'm still enjoying the LP, it's just that every episode I expect to get some plot and then it's just another half hour of you guys doing stuff without much rhyme or reason. It doesn't seem very much like the last couple games beyond the most superficial elements.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
The Office buildings don't lend too much to the story but there are some good visuals that go with it. Plus once it's over the game remembers there's a story.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Well you guys are starting to convince me that SH3's story is really nonexistent for large portions of the game, but in terms of the game's objective of driving you guys out of your minds it seems spot on. This episode brought to you by the word "WHAT?!"

Also I really thought dryer death was some death cutscene in the office building that I had forgotten about. Instead I got an education in mass psychosis regarding household appliances. Truly a magical and wonderful stream. I liked the part where you waited for Keith to stop talking long enough to notice the wheelchair.

PS You guys do not sound alike.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
I'm pretty sure this office had the biggest audio jump-scare I remember from the SH series.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Dryer fire story:

When I was working on a submarine, our dryer was an extremely old model (this is because approval for equipment on submarines is extremely costly so you wouldn't bother with silly things like 'being safe'). If the lint filter wasn't cleaned after every use, and if the whole thing wasn't dismantled to be cleaned every week then it would be guaranteed to set on fire. The hazard was large enough that we required people to sit next to the dryer while they were using it. The people using the drying equipment to clean officer clothing and linens were also the ones most likely to not clean the lint filter, and there was a time that the thing caught on fire every night for three or four days, enough that we weren't even announcing it anymore as it would go out the moment you cut power to the thing.

If you happen to have an old, old dryer, say from the 70's or earlier, then you are less likely to have a protective shroud over the heating element which means by not cleaning the lint filter you reduce overall air flow and cause lint to collect on the heating element. Newer dryers obviously don't have that problem, but you should probably clean the lint filter anyway because its pretty easy to do and a clogged lint filter has a tendency to dry clothes slower.

If I had a really old dryer I probably wouldn't leave the home while its running.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
You know when you think "military" you never think you would be surprised by how ridiculously unsafe the working conditions are.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Squallege posted:

The Office buildings don't lend too much to the story but there are some good visuals that go with it. Plus once it's over the game remembers there's a story.

This sentence describes the entire first half of the game.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
It's like an office building, except instead of offices it has dance studios.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Pneub posted:

There's an art gallery too!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Squallege posted:

There's an art gallery too!
And an auto repair center...office...thing!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Pneub posted:

It's like a hotel for dogs, except instead of dogs it's for offices, and instead of a hotel it's a building.

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcrY59nGxBg

midwat
May 6, 2007

Wikipedia posted:

In the United States, the U.S. Fire Administration in a 2007 report estimated that clothes dryer fires account for about 15,600 structure fires, 15 deaths, and 400 injuries annually, with 80% (12,700) of the fires in residential buildings. The Fire Administration attributes “Failure to clean” as the leading factor contributing to clothes dryer fires in residential buildings, and observed that new home construction trends place clothes dryers and washing machines in more hazardous locations away from outside walls, such as in bedrooms, second-floor hallways, bathrooms, and kitchens.

Probably best not to leave your dryer unattended.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

midwat posted:

Probably best not to leave your dryer unattended.

American statistics kinda have to be taken with a grain of salt sometimes though. I get the impression that like half the country is so fuckin poor that they're still using appliances from decades ago. Kyle and Keith are from pretty well-off families, i'm pretty sure their dryers aren't gonna burn their houses down.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

This is a really great video, especially his conclusion. "If it can turn on an LED, don't go in the water."

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

gnome7 posted:

This is a really great video, especially his conclusion. "If it can turn on an LED, don't go in the water."

I like how he realizes that his almost-Unibrow can be a good thing.

midwat
May 6, 2007

ChairMaster posted:

American statistics kinda have to be taken with a grain of salt sometimes though. I get the impression that like half the country is so fuckin poor that they're still using appliances from decades ago. Kyle and Keith are from pretty well-off families, i'm pretty sure their dryers aren't gonna burn their houses down.

The primary risk factors appear to be lint and heat, which all dryers create.

Even if what you say is true, fear of dryer fires (several deaths a year) is still more reasonable than fear of fan death (zero reported deaths).

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?

Hymirvetr posted:

I like how he realizes that his almost-Unibrow can be a good thing.

also watch his video on Christmas Tree lights. "I don't even know why we have a Christmas tree. We are not Christians. Jesus!"

haha

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I've heard that "fan death" is a euphemism for suicide given institutional backing.

It is, however, actually possible to get so cool you die, even when it's quite balmy out. All you need is a strong enough, consistent enough breeze. See San Francisco, "where a man could lie down under a rosebush in full bloom and freeze to death".

This actually is kind of relevant to Silent Hill since this entry in the series seems to be drawing some threat from urban legends instead of the folklore of Silent Hill.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Episode 10: Return of the Story
Turns out this game has a narrative of some kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Yep, that was the poo poo-myself noise I remember from this game.

Do you go back to that room and see what made it?

• Locked thread