Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
jesus loving christ, playing as recon is straight up hard mode in Misery. Without stronger armor, I just get decimated constantly. I might start over with assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Out of curiosity Enigma, The Swartz mod description says he's basically turning it over to you. Does this mean you and he have merged your mods into Arsenal, or do I still have to download both of them?

Edit: Oh, Swartz posts here...Uhh, Swartz, same question?

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 3, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Load a quicksave on the Skadovsk, go down the stairs and approach a stalker to talk. Crab turns, pulls out his rifle, flops flat on his back and floats smoothly up through the ceiling as if being raptured. That has to be the non-glitchiest Crab glitch ever.

Thanks for the luajit link Swartz, it works like a charm. I have less lag running that with AN3 and AF3 than I did without any of the three.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

E-Tank posted:

Out of curiosity Enigma, The Swartz mod description says he's basically turning it over to you. Does this mean you and he have merged your mods into Arsenal, or do I still have to download both of them?

I didn't give him the whole mod, just the new weapon models I ported over. The rest of the mod is on a now destroyed hard drive so nobody will be continuing it ;)

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
For what it's worth, almost every single change made in the official Misery patch they forgot to include the recon changes, for the most part.

Even MDT thinks recon is an afterthought.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Ddraig posted:

For what it's worth, almost every single change made in the official Misery patch they forgot to include the recon changes, for the most part.

Even MDT thinks recon is an afterthought.

Yea I think that I'm going to restart as sniper instead. Or just go boring rear end assault.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

E-Tank posted:

Swartz gave me the AK-12, AKM, REC-7, RPK, Gsh-18 and Glock. Which are in the current version of my mod now.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

E.Nigma posted:

Swartz gave me the AK-12, AKM, REC-7, RPK, Gsh-18 and Glock. Which are in the current version of my mod now.

You forgot the FAL and Scar-H :qq:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
Still the best thing I bought on SA.

In other news, Lost Alpha should be releasing their yearly video soon. I'm curious as to what they will show. The game itself is supposed to be "done" with all their efforts now going towards making it a polished product. Though if they really wanted to emulate true stalker feeling, they should probably have released a buggy, save corrupting crash fest.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It'll be so polished we'll thrash it for being playable. And thus the STALKER ouroboros will be complete.

Fister Ardennes
Apr 25, 2008

War is not the answer but it sure is fun

Swartz posted:

You forgot the FAL and Scar-H :qq:
Don't worry I haven't forgot about those.

I was thinking of the recent weapons pack you gave me.

Fister Ardennes fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 4, 2014

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I bought the whole series on sale and installed Shadow of Chernobyl today.

Pretty pumped about playing, but there's a bit of a problem; the game makes my GPU (an R9 280X) squeal really loudly.

It changes pitch/intensity when I look at different things ingame. Has anyone else experienced this? It's the only game I've had it with.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So it turns out SoC companions really, really don't mesh well with low gravity anomalies!

They either get stuck (99% of the time) or suddenly decide that the standard reality we live in does not apply to them and constantly hover quite a distance above the ground even when they leave the anomaly.

Thankfully they seem to revert to normal when you transition to a new level. I shudder to think what will happen to them if they stumble upon a Jolly Ghost anomaly.

The Jolly Ghost is a new anomaly type I've integrated. The name comes from Roadside Picnic which mentions it as one of the weird phenomena but never actually describes what it does. This has given me a bit of creative licence with it.

Currently, it's sort of a gap in the universe leading to somewhere else. If you manage to enter one, you will be completely unable to move and will be unable to escape unless you drop items to temporarily distract it long enough for you to get out of it. These items are almost invariable destroyed/taken away by the Zone and never return, so be careful what you decide to "sacrifice". The threshold for weight is randomly set on an anomaly-by-anomaly basis so you could get away with only throwing a pack of cigarettes or it could require a more substantial offering.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Ddraig posted:

Jolly Ghost

That's an amazing idea for an anomaly.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Ddraig posted:

So it turns out SoC companions really, really don't mesh well with low gravity anomalies!

They either get stuck (99% of the time) or suddenly decide that the standard reality we live in does not apply to them and constantly hover quite a distance above the ground even when they leave the anomaly.

Thankfully they seem to revert to normal when you transition to a new level. I shudder to think what will happen to them if they stumble upon a Jolly Ghost anomaly.

The Jolly Ghost is a new anomaly type I've integrated. The name comes from Roadside Picnic which mentions it as one of the weird phenomena but never actually describes what it does. This has given me a bit of creative licence with it.

Currently, it's sort of a gap in the universe leading to somewhere else. If you manage to enter one, you will be completely unable to move and will be unable to escape unless you drop items to temporarily distract it long enough for you to get out of it. These items are almost invariable destroyed/taken away by the Zone and never return, so be careful what you decide to "sacrifice". The threshold for weight is randomly set on an anomaly-by-anomaly basis so you could get away with only throwing a pack of cigarettes or it could require a more substantial offering.

I was hoping some of the non-dangerous anomalies that show up in Roadside Picnic would appear in STALKER, like the shadows or shimmer. I guess it wouldn't really be worth the extra processing power to make it pretty, though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Well considering how hosed up the shadow system is in the original stalker in some aspects, you could argue that the Shadows are already in, at least.

Shimmers could probably be done with a very hacked in way. I believe you can set waypoints for particle effects, so you could probably create a "shimmer" particle and have it slither around near the player if certain conditions are met.

I did have an idea to make a Dick the Tramp anomaly by setting a custom sound source inside a building and having a screen-shake effect apply if you get too close to that building.

e: There's an artifact in the stalker books that I'd really like to include. It's called the "Black Magnet" or "Corpserobber's Brand".

I guess it's some sort of punishment from the Zone placed on stalkers that are "too greedy". It's a rather non-descript black lump that the stalker simply can't get rid of. Every time he throws it away, it comes back to find him. The only way to get rid of it is to have someone voluntarily take it from them, which is a hard thing to do as it has negative effects on people, like hallucinations, seizures and a sense of disconnect with the world.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 5, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You'd have to also make a series of dialogue options with NPC's for that to work, otherwise it would be sorta a big gently caress you without much else.

Considering how loaded you can become in SoC

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've got a test version of it going. Right now there's three ways to get rid of it: Either through a scripted dialog sequence with any stalker (you say you've got a cool artifact they might like - if certain conditions are met, like they're a lower rank than you, and a random "check" is passed they'll get rid of it), having a fracture eat it (they're said to find these things tasty in said books - and there's a bit more interaction with fractures other than shooting them - which I won't spoil) and doing a minor quest with the Scientists to get rid of it. They would be interested in taking it off you for study, but only if it's rendered "safe".

The general dialog system with stalkers has been updated quite a bit. New conversation options open up depending on your rank, faction and other factors (like if you're considered an alcoholic/drug addict), if you're drunk, how far along the story you've progressed etc.

I'm using a bartering script for "trade" dialogs but it's a bit of a pain in the rear end to update with virtually every single tradeable item in the game, since there's quite a few new weapons and artifacts and assigning them arbitrary bartering values is a bit annoying.

You can now join three factions: The Bandits, Duty and Freedom. Right now Duty is looking the most attractive, since you get access to the Bar, so I'm trying to make the bandits/freedom a bit more attractive by offering them things that no other factions have. If you join the bandits then you'll be able to "mug" stalkers, for example. Joining the Bandits is a bit of a pain in the rear end since it requires you to go out of your way quite a bit. You can become friendly to Borov during the Dark Valley quests if you pay Snitch or find a bandit to help you out. This will not allow you to join the bandits right away though, you can only do that after you escape from the military and get back to the Cordon. You also have to become friendly to Borov again. Or you could skip that part altogether and install a new leader which involves actually assassinating Borov with a planted dead drop and exploiting some new scripted behavior he has. If you do go that route and gently caress it up, though, you won't be able to join the bandits at all.

There's still that problem with items not appearing where they're suppose to due to all.spawn fuckups. This is a bit of a pain in the rear end, but it's more time consuming and tediously dull to fix than actually difficult.

I've added in a few minor easter eggs from a few of my other favourite games. If you look hard enough in the Zone you'll be able to find Jorji Costava, or what's left of him, aswell as a mysterious masked man killing stalkers indiscriminately etc.

The easter eggs have a few neat little rewards associated with them if you find them, like a unique melee weapon or what have you. Nothing game breaking but a nice treat if you happen to find them.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
You're really going hog wild on this, aren't you? I haven't seen proper new behavior in many ShoC mods (off the top of my head I can really only think of OGSE, maybe Priboi Story?), so that you're changing AI for characters is interesting. As I recall you were trying to add some scripted sequences in the Dead City, were you ever able to accomplish that? I imagine joining the bandits would make that tricky. What about going into the Bar? Any time Duty is hostile it becomes such a chore advancing the storyline.

It's great you're doing all this work man, I'm sure we'll all play through and enjoy!

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Ddraig posted:

I've added in a few minor easter eggs from a few of my other favourite games. If you look hard enough in the Zone you'll be able to find Jorji Costava, or what's left of him

Please tell me he has a stash of some obscenely rare drug, and his PDA is the most cheerful thing you'll read in the Zone.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Missing Name posted:

Please tell me he has a stash of some obscenely rare drug, and his PDA is the most cheerful thing you'll read in the Zone.

It's won't be a PDA as such. It'll be a piece of a plank with the letters PAD carved sloppily into the top.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Ddraig posted:

I've added in a few minor easter eggs from a few of my other favourite games. If you look hard enough in the Zone you'll be able to find Jorji Costava, or what's left of him, aswell as a mysterious masked man killing stalkers indiscriminately etc.

For some reason I initially thought "Jorgi Costava" was a modified "George Costanza".

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

MadBimber posted:

You're really going hog wild on this, aren't you? I haven't seen proper new behavior in many ShoC mods (off the top of my head I can really only think of OGSE, maybe Priboi Story?), so that you're changing AI for characters is interesting. As I recall you were trying to add some scripted sequences in the Dead City, were you ever able to accomplish that? I imagine joining the bandits would make that tricky. What about going into the Bar? Any time Duty is hostile it becomes such a chore advancing the storyline.

It's great you're doing all this work man, I'm sure we'll all play through and enjoy!

The Dead City was a huge problem for me, as the Doctor (who is supposed to be with you there - this is where you originally meet him - if you wonder why the meeting in the Agroprom Underground makes no sense, it's because of this) kept doing weird things. Like running out in the middle of nowhere, disappearing randomly or what have you. Turns out being in close proximity to so many mercs and bandits set him in permanent "fear" mode (and OGSE addition) so reasoning with him was impossible. He'd get everyone killed.

Right now I've got Dead City as the area where some of the bandits were pushed into after Clear Sky. The bandits there are a sort of faction split off, with Yoga as their leader. They're still loyal to him, so depending on how you deal with Borov you might have them either helping you or trying to kill you.

Yeah, there's a few scripted sequences. These are based on the original ones in RMA and a few extra additions.

I may put George Costanza in the game aswell. "Hello, Marked One! Do you wanna buy an artifact? No? Why not? ... Alright, I see! Good answer!"

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jan 7, 2014

Space Wizard
Aug 31, 2012
Just to go off-topic for a second, I'd like to post this in case nobody has done so before. Looks like I finally need to start searching for a proper jacket to mount these on!

http://www.soviet-power.com/detail.php?pid=1551

http://www.soviet-power.com/detail.php?pid=1561

There's a whole set including Duty, Fredom, Neutrals, The Bandits and The Scientists. Just punch 'STALKER' into the search bar, and the page will load. For some reason it won't let me link the results page.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For some reason I initially thought "Jorgi Costava" was a modified "George Costanza".

Glad I wasn't the only one.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So I think I've fixed Borov's behaviour. He's supposed to walk to the window every now and then to take in the view but there was an issue where he'd spawn right outside the base deep in monolith turf where he would get massacred, which is funny because he's got a deal with them normally.

Logic scripts are weird. I had a similar issue where Garry would spawn in the garbage.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Okay, uh, this is gonna sound dumb. And I'm sure it's already been answered. But...

How the hell do I get past the cave in Stalkersoup.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I can't remember, it's been such a long time since I've played that clusterfuck of a level, but I believe you have to talk to the Doctor/Miner guy in there.

I think that artifact you get has something to do with it aswell. There's a few stalkersoup guides out there, they'll probably be able to fill you in better than I can.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the most up to date mod, OGSE or Stalkersoup?

Want to try out one of the massive stalker mods :v:

Stanman
Sep 3, 2007
My name is heavy weapons guy

Space Wizard posted:

Just to go off-topic for a second, I'd like to post this in case nobody has done so before. Looks like I finally need to start searching for a proper jacket to mount these on!

There's a whole set including Duty, Fredom, Neutrals, The Bandits and The Scientists. Just punch 'STALKER' into the search bar, and the page will load. For some reason it won't let me link the results page.

So loving cool. I'm getting the monolith and duty one for sure!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Mans posted:

What's the most up to date mod, OGSE or Stalkersoup?

Want to try out one of the massive stalker mods :v:

Well Stalkersoup is constantly up to date, I guess, but I really don't know what the hell he's doing since it's way more buggy than DMX (I guess it's the additional Collector mod that's causing all the trouble)

OGSE is far, far more stable and consistent, though.

^^

I bought a similar pack, directly from GSC's store before they got shut down. Unfortunately I seem to have lost most of them in my house move and can only find the Duty one. The Monolith one was pretty bitchin'

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

Space Wizard posted:

Maybe the best thing I found on that site were metal badges for EXCELLENT COOK

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

So uh apparently misery 2.1 beta was released a few days ago http://www.miserymod.com/?page_id=799

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They've supposedly implemented a few of my tweaks/fixes.

Can't wait to see how that MDT filter has been applied to them.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
I really like the idea of Misery but I hate not having the minimap. I managed to get it back but it's only partially functional.

Also spawning in a new game and getting mauled by mutant cats sure sucks.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just started the game. OGSE sends you on the "assault the bandit camp" mission with no medikit whatsoever so i bleed like a pig and come out of it barely alive.

I crawl myself back to Sidorov in the hopes of selling enough poo poo to get a medikit only to be eaten by a pack of wild dogs.

I missed STALKER :allears:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

hopterque posted:

I really like the idea of Misery but I hate not having the minimap. I managed to get it back but it's only partially functional.

Also spawning in a new game and getting mauled by mutant cats sure sucks.

In my opinion, mutant cats have been the worst enemy in every mod they've been implemented in. They're usually the size of large dogs and almost completely silent, except for that distorted "cat sound" they occasionally make. They usually take way too much damage and their models/animations are terrible.

420 Hate mutant cats every day.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

So is there any information about what's in that Misery patch? There's no changelog there yet.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

In my opinion, mutant cats have been the worst enemy in every mod they've been implemented in. They're usually the size of large dogs and almost completely silent, except for that distorted "cat sound" they occasionally make. They usually take way too much damage and their models/animations are terrible.

420 Hate mutant cats every day.

If they were half the size and faster (like real cats) they'd be perfect, but they definitely need some visual improvements.

Do you mean that they deal too much damage or that they are bullet sponges? If it's the former I agree, if it's the latter I disagree, you can practically piss on them and they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Killswitch posted:

Do you mean that they deal too much damage or that they are bullet sponges?

In a lot of mods that introduce them, the cats have a pretty significant health pool for some strange reason. I'm not talking about Misery, because they aren't as much of an issue there.