Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
The only thing I have seen about TVs in CES related news is a leaked photo of LG's WebOS based TV. The picture I saw actually looked pretty nice but it was only a photo of the card interface.

Leaked photo of WebOS powered LG TV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Well, my 3 year old plasma TV started having black lines near the top of the screen a few months ago. Each line is about a pixel, but more and more keep showing so now I have multiple black bars. It's so far limited to the top of the screen about 2 or so inches down- but its pretty much started to look like I have everything letterboxed.

From what I hear, its cheaper to buy a new TV. I need to start comparison shopping for TV's, even though I probably can't get one until a few months from now.

So, I would like a relatively inexpensive 1080p TV at 50" that has a 'durable' display. I want this next TV to last more than 3 years. I do not need any smart TV options, and low video game lag would be great. Must be bought at Best Buy (since I have gift cards for there)

Fourteen
Aug 15, 2002

No, no, no you imbecile! That's not talc, that's paprika!
I know this is traditionally the best time of year to buy a TV, but have prices leveled out at this point in January, or are they expected to fall even lower before the Super Bowl?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Doctor Butts posted:

So, I would like a relatively inexpensive 1080p TV at 50" that has a 'durable' display. I want this next TV to last more than 3 years.

I'm not really sure this is a "thing" anymore with modern electronics. Pretty much everything seems engineered to give maybe a slightly better than a 2 year life before developing some sort of flaw.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

serebralassazin posted:

The only thing I have seen about TVs in CES related news is a leaked photo of LG's WebOS based TV. The picture I saw actually looked pretty nice but it was only a photo of the card interface.

Leaked photo of WebOS powered LG TV

I'm not really seeing a benefit of putting a dead OS designed for touch screens onto a TV that you can't touch. Doesn't everybody already have some kind of PS3, PS4, 360, Xbone, Roku, Chromcast, or even their blu ray player connected to their TV that can stream Netflix?

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

So, I ended up buying a Samsung UN46F8000. I was on the edge about this TV for a while because of the cost, but then I got a bestbuy 10% off clearance coupon AND found a 46'' f8000 for $1500 due to having no cables/remote/everything. Turns out, they had the entire f8000 accessory kit, 3d glasses and all. Just no box. I picked up a 2 year plan for $170 and I had a $200 gift card so my total came to about $1350 with tax for this beautiful TV + 2 years protection. 24 months no finance and 5x points for new years, which will earn me another 100 dollars in BB gift cards. I can still cancel the protection if I find a better square trade deal or something, but I had a bestbuy protection plan for an old TV and it went bad at the end of the 2 year period, best buy flat out replaced it with a new model. Was pretty happy with the service.

Anyway, this TV is amazing. I have never seen an LED display such an amazing picture. Motion is incredible, colors are dead on, APPs are actually pretty decent and run fast as hell. I've actually stopped using my PS3 for streaming now. The 3d mode is definitely the best ive seen on a TV and actually makes me want to buy 3d movies now, it helps that the glasses are light and comfortable. I can't pull my rear end away from the couch now and I am even considering moving my computer to the living room so I can steam-game on it.

Heres a picture:

JayJay fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jan 6, 2014

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

JayJay posted:

nice review

They had a 65" at my local BB and I really wanted to jump on it with the 10% open box coupon but I didn't have the money yet :ohdear: have to wait for tax return. Still good to hear positive review though, I've definitely settled on the F8000 series, just debating on what size my wallet will allow.

Question about the 3D... is this the kind that lets you play games via 'splitscreen' and both players have the view of the whole screen? (I don't know how to explain that well but I'm sure someone understands)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm not really seeing a benefit of putting a dead OS designed for touch screens onto a TV that you can't touch. Doesn't everybody already have some kind of PS3, PS4, 360, Xbone, Roku, Chromcast, or even their blu ray player connected to their TV that can stream Netflix?

Yeah but I think the idea (Roku is making a Roku TV with Hisense/TCL) is that SmartTV's are ideally the way to go for most families, but their current implementation sucks and is way underpowered. So LG with webOS and Roku with hardware integration are aiming to actually make the experience as fast and seamless as possible all while reducing the amount of connected devices.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I agree with you. When someone ask me about smart TV I tell them to look at a Roku or Apple TV instead. Some people really like having apps on their tv though so they'd don't need another device (my best friend loves the apps on his LG TV. I will agree they're better than the apps on my samsung but I would still rather use a different device like the ones you mentioned).

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Pews posted:

Question about the 3D... is this the kind that lets you play games via 'splitscreen' and both players have the view of the whole screen? (I don't know how to explain that well but I'm sure someone understands)

I think Sonys are the only 3D TVs that support that.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Space Racist posted:

I think Sonys are the only 3D TVs that support that.
My LG does it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Any passive 3dtv should allow it as long as you have the correct glasses (the same polarization filter on both eyes. )

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

JayJay posted:

So, I ended up buying a Samsung UN46F8000. I was on the edge about this TV for a while because of the cost, but then I got a bestbuy 10% off clearance coupon AND found a 46'' f8000 for $1500 due to having no cables/remote/everything. Turns out, they had the entire f8000 accessory kit, 3d glasses and all. Just no box. I picked up a 2 year plan for $170 and I had a $200 gift card so my total came to about $1350 with tax for this beautiful TV + 2 years protection. 24 months no finance and 5x points for new years, which will earn me another 100 dollars in BB gift cards. I can still cancel the protection if I find a better square trade deal or something, but I had a bestbuy protection plan for an old TV and it went bad at the end of the 2 year period, best buy flat out replaced it with a new model. Was pretty happy with the service.

Anyway, this TV is amazing. I have never seen an LED display such an amazing picture. Motion is incredible, colors are dead on, APPs are actually pretty decent and run fast as hell. I've actually stopped using my PS3 for streaming now. The 3d mode is definitely the best ive seen on a TV and actually makes me want to buy 3d movies now, it helps that the glasses are light and comfortable. I can't pull my rear end away from the couch now and I am even considering moving my computer to the living room so I can steam-game on it.

Heres a picture:

If you don't have it, you can register with Samsung and they'll mail you a regular remote. I tend to use it more often.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Playstation 3D Display is the only TV that works with the in-game method in a few Sony games.

Several brands can do it as a hardware feature. They'll work on anything that's split down the middle of the screen and stays that way.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Any passive 3dtv should allow it as long as you have the correct glasses (the same polarization filter on both eyes. )
No, I was talking about this:

Aphrodite posted:

Several brands can do it as a hardware feature. They'll work on anything that's split down the middle of the screen and stays that way.
It does this by stretching each half to cover the whole screen.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

No, I was talking about this:

It does this by stretching each half to cover the whole screen.

Thats what im talking about as well, you gotta have glasses with the same polarization filter on each eye.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Thats what im talking about as well, you gotta have glasses with the same polarization filter on each eye.
Does every passive 3D TV do the stretching? When I turn on 3D there's 5 or 6 different options.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Does every passive 3D TV do the stretching? When I turn on 3D there's 5 or 6 different options.

I would expect them too. My vizio will do SBS or up and down

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Cable providers do 3d by doing side by side or top bottom. It's reduced resolution images that are then stretched to fit the whole screen and overlayed. Side by side is (I believe) what the consoles use (Edit: actually I think it varies by game, some are frame packed some are SBS). The difference is, in the game mode, you either need glasses with same polarization for each lens (for passive 3d) or shutter glasses that switch to both lenses flashing at the same time (active 3d.)

Blu-ray 3d is full resolution by basically sending two frames at once and having the TV overlay them.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20063310-1/how-3d-content-works-blu-ray-vs-broadcast/

Obviously the game consoles can't do that since it would be too taxing to render two full resolution screens at once (apparently some do at 720p).

Passive 3d is half resolution no matter what though as the lines are interleaved (each row having opposite polarization.)

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 6, 2014

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

I understand how 3D works. I'm saying that game mode (on my TV at least) is an extra feature of the TV because the TV will stretch each of the halves to full screen. It has nothing to do with the game or console. You could do it with Sonic 2 on a Genesis if you wanted. You could even do it with broadcast TV if you wanted to see half the screen stretched to fill the whole thing for whatever reason.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I understand how 3D works. I'm saying that game mode (on my TV at least) is an extra feature of the TV because the TV will stretch each of the halves to full screen. It has nothing to do with the game or console. You could do it with Sonic 2 on a Genesis if you wanted. You could even do it with broadcast TV if you wanted to see half the screen stretched to fill the whole thing for whatever reason.

Oh, i see what you are saying. There's nothing about it that inherently limits it to passive 3d tvs and nothing really saying that all passive 3d TVs will have it. Many active 3d TVs can do that as well.

To actually USE simulvue on a passive 3d tv though, you will either need special glasses or hack together a pair by switching lenses out.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

To actually USE simulvue on a passive 3d tv though, you will either need special glasses or hack together a pair by switching lenses out.
Or have everybody keep one eye closed :pirate:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Or have everybody keep one eye closed :pirate:

Then you could cheat

Rincebrain
Dec 10, 2004

YOU KISS THAT GIRL THIS INSTANT
So, the good news is, I find myself with a gorgeous TC-P50S60 (thanks in no small part to the tip last page about nearby open box units at physical Best Buys).

The bad news, however, is that it did not come with the pedestal or wall mount, so I am now in the market for a stand for this bad boy.

Should I just try to eBay the relevant official part, since the vendor site doesn't have one? Does somebody make reputable stands that fit standard form factors?

Or am I just screwed?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Passive 3d is half resolution no matter what though as the lines are interleaved (each row having opposite polarization.)

Half resolution to each eye. Apparently for the majority of people this is supposed to be visually indistinguishable.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Rincebrain posted:

So, the good news is, I find myself with a gorgeous TC-P50S60 (thanks in no small part to the tip last page about nearby open box units at physical Best Buys).

The bad news, however, is that it did not come with the pedestal or wall mount, so I am now in the market for a stand for this bad boy.

Should I just try to eBay the relevant official part, since the vendor site doesn't have one? Does somebody make reputable stands that fit standard form factors?

Or am I just screwed?

Had the same need / question, would love to know what you figure out.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

Dr Tran posted:

If you don't have it, you can register with Samsung and they'll mail you a regular remote. I tend to use it more often.

It came with mine! Must be a newer version or something. But honestly, I don't really mind the touch remote unless I am calibrating the whites or something with 50 options. It works pretty well for menu selections. Also loving that my TV/PS3/Receiver are now all sharing hdmi control with one remote.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Rincebrain posted:

Or am I just screwed?

This may not be what you're looking for, but I somewhat recently moved to a TV stand with a mount similar to this one that I quite enjoy. I felt like I paid closer to $200 for it, but I'm probably wrong.

Rincebrain
Dec 10, 2004

YOU KISS THAT GIRL THIS INSTANT

tk posted:

This may not be what you're looking for, but I somewhat recently moved to a TV stand with a mount similar to this one that I quite enjoy. I felt like I paid closer to $200 for it, but I'm probably wrong.

Newegg just had a sale on those for like $180 and is, consequently, sold out forever.

I've purchased that one, since it looks like about what I want, and will report back with results! Thanks!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I'm starting to think about upgrading my old TV, a 720p LCD Vizio that I got in 2007. It's served me well, so I'm inclined to stay with Vizio.

Can anyone speak to the differences between the M401i-A3 and the E420i-A0? Both of those are in the $500 price range I set for myself, but the strange thing is that the larger of the two is actually about 50 bucks cheaper.

I'm leaning towards the M401i-A3, just because I like the aesthetics of the TV much more. It's much sleeker looking, and seems to have a thinner bezel, which I love. Although I haven't seen either TV in person yet.

I did read one review that said that even though this TV is advertised as a 120Hz tv, it's actually a 60Hz panel that does tricks to achieve a 120Hz effect? That really sets off warning signs for me, as the only reason I want a 120Hz panel is for smoother playback of 24fps Blu-Ray material. I hate all the tru-motion smoothing effects on most TV's, and would turn them all off on whatever TV I got.

I'm open to other suggestions as well. My main criteria is for picture quality. I don't care about 3D or Smart TV features. I just want a good picture quality with 120hz refresh rate, on a nice looking TV with a thin bezel, and ideally a wide viewing angle, since my TV sits slightly higher than where it ideally would be. Thanks!

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 7, 2014

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I found a nice long thread on AVS detailing my yellow blob issue with the ST50. It was originally for the VT50, but ST50s suffer from it as well. The blobs are all in the same place and is likely due to either hot spotting or voltage issues.

I'm out of warranty with panasonic, but I have warranty through Amex till April. I know that they no longer have replacement ST50 panels in stock, so if I can get Panasonic to say that repair isn't possible, I'll probably be able to have Amex refund the full purchase price of the TV.

From there, I'm not sure where I'm going to go. I'm feeling kind of burned by this whole Panasonic plasma issue.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

tk posted:

For myself, I can't use a wall mount (my walls are plaster on lath and have zero support). What are the best third party stands for TVs? Or are there any?

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Petey posted:

For myself, I can't use a wall mount (my walls are plaster on lath and have zero support). What are the best third party stands for TVs? Or are there any?

Did you click the link? It's a stand with a built-in mount attached, no wall mounting required. Z-line is the big name making stands like that, but there are a couple other similar brands.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Vizio's consumer level 4K TVs are going to start at $999 for 50" http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/7/5286772/vizios-first-4k-tvs-will-start-at-only-999

Guess I know which TV I'm upgrading from my 47" Regza to. :drat:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm starting to think about upgrading my old TV, a 720p LCD Vizio that I got in 2007. It's served me well, so I'm inclined to stay with Vizio.

Can anyone speak to the differences between the M401i-A3 and the E420i-A0? Both of those are in the $500 price range I set for myself, but the strange thing is that the larger of the two is actually about 50 bucks cheaper.

I'm leaning towards the M401i-A3, just because I like the aesthetics of the TV much more. It's much sleeker looking, and seems to have a thinner bezel, which I love. Although I haven't seen either TV in person yet.

I did read one review that said that even though this TV is advertised as a 120Hz tv, it's actually a 60Hz panel that does tricks to achieve a 120Hz effect? That really sets off warning signs for me, as the only reason I want a 120Hz panel is for smoother playback of 24fps Blu-Ray material. I hate all the tru-motion smoothing effects on most TV's, and would turn them all off on whatever TV I got.

I'm open to other suggestions as well. My main criteria is for picture quality. I don't care about 3D or Smart TV features. I just want a good picture quality with 120hz refresh rate, on a nice looking TV with a thin bezel, and ideally a wide viewing angle, since my TV sits slightly higher than where it ideally would be. Thanks!

I have a 40 inch in the M line and the picture is great, I believe it's better then the E ones from what I've read, and the TV itself is drat sexy. Also the viewing angle on it's great. I can watch it from my chair or my bed and it still looks good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What's interesting is Vizio has dropped 3d from their entire 2014 lineup except for the reference series.

I know not everyone is a fan of 3d, but I'm not sure if I could see myself buying a TV without it as a main set.

Right now I'm trying to decide what to do if Amex refunds me for my 55ST50 due to my yellow blobs.

1) Do nothing in the near term and wait to see if anything coming out compares to the image quality.

2) Turn around and buy a 55VT60 before they are all gone and hope they finally resolved all the issues on the last iteration on their plasmas.

3) Buy a Samsung F8500 which seems to be the only thing out now that can compare to the Panasonics. Only problem there is I can't fit the 60 inch model due to the base design and the next size down is 51 inches so I would have to give up size.

4) Admit defeat in black levels and panel uniformity and buy a current LED backlit LCD.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bull3964 posted:

What's interesting is Vizio has dropped 3d from their entire 2014 lineup except for the reference series.

The reference series don't have 3D either.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

teagone posted:

The reference series don't have 3D either.

I could have swore I read that the reference series at least would retain it.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I could have swore I read that the reference series at least would retain it.

Nope. Vizio's entire 2014 product line has dropped 3D support. The articles I've read seems like they're more focused on solely bringing the absolute best picture quality possible for general consumers and videophiles. They also seem fixated on 4K content delivery and HDR tech in all their TVs moving forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I can't wait until 3D dies.

Seriously though, a 50" 4K TV for $1000 seems ridiculous. Can't wait for the second and third generations to drop that price even further.