Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW

Smoking Crow posted:

I recently watched the Ultimate Warrior's match at Wrestlemania 6 and it was loving terrible.

Has he actually wrestled a good match or is that the pinnacle?

This match will forever hold a special place in my heart.

I was 7 years old and my family had been in the county less than a year. Crying and begging a new immigrant dad to attend some dumb wrestling event he could barely afford and not understand seems terrible in hindsight but we sure had an amazing time.

I offered to return the favour 12 years later for Wrestlemania X8 but dad hated the Attitude era and declined.

Hogan is 0 for 2 when I've been in attendance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
This is a list of Meltzer's worst rated matches:

http://www.profightdb.com/worst-rated-matches.html

He gave -***** to Bushwhackers vs. Volkoff & Sheik at HOW, Hogan-Warrior II, the Mr. T vs. Roddy Piper boxing match at WM2 and Junkyard Dog vs. Moondog Spot at The Wrestling Classic.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Psh, Mr. T vs Piper wasn't that bad. At least not on the level of Warrior/Hogan or Junkyard vs Moondog.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Are Chris Harris and James Storm the only two wrestlers to have a WMOTY candidate and a MOTY candidate with each other in the same year?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EugeneJ posted:

Are Chris Harris and James Storm the only two wrestlers to have a WMOTY candidate and a MOTY candidate with each other in the same year?

Nope Chono and Rude had a WMOTYC and a MOTYC together in the same year.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

DeathChicken posted:

Psh, Mr. T vs Piper wasn't that bad.

It was at least only -**** because it earns 1 star back when Piper throws the world's tiniest stool at T while wearing boxing gloves.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

VogeGandire posted:

It was at least only -**** because it earns 1 star back when Piper throws the world's tiniest stool at T while wearing boxing gloves.

God, he just loving whips that thing at him too. So much cocaine.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Can you buy the Wrestlemania X-7 DVD from WWE any more? I can't seem to find it on their page. I have my copy from 2001 but I wanted to get one for a friend of mine in the US.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Memento posted:

Can you buy the Wrestlemania X-7 DVD from WWE any more? I can't seem to find it on their page. I have my copy from 2001 but I wanted to get one for a friend of mine in the US.

Nope - eBay that poo poo while you still can

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

If they still have the Wrestlemania Anthology, it's in volume 4.

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

STAC Goat posted:

Its weird but WCW used to have actual time limit draws quite often. Just random matches that ended in time limit draws. I could see people hating that because it kills matches but I remember really liking it because it just added an air of reality to wrestling for me. The same as matches ending on non finishes or moves that were traditionally transition moves. It may be anticlimactic but it helps draw me in to the fantasy that this stuff is real and each move done actually is done to try and win instead of sitting back waiting for a finishing sequence.

Didn't the WCW TV Title have a 10 or 15-minute time limit on those matches? I seem to recall a few of those going to time limit draws.

Time limits still exist in some of the indies though, the last 2CW show I went to had every match with an announced 60-minute time limit, which would have lead to a theoretical 11 or 12 hour show, which would have been a hell of a deal for a $15 ticket, though we would all have been near death by the end.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I never saw WrestleMania IV, what was so bad about the Jake Roberts vs. Rick Rude match that it got -** for?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
They spent most of the last half of the match with Rude working a sleeper on Jake. There were some temporary reversals, but they still got "booring" chants. Then Roberts was on fire for the last three minutes...until they did the double clothesline spot and struggled to pin each other. Rude was just about to get a rope-assisted pin when the bell rang, and the announcer declared a time limit draw, so both were out of the tournament.

The match started building a good pace, then got really slow, then got hot again before collapsing in the last minute. It was a weird, badly-paced match with a weird, badly-paced finish.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

They spent most of the last half of the match with Rude working a sleeper on Jake. There were some temporary reversals, but they still got "booring" chants. Then Roberts was on fire for the last three minutes...until they did the double clothesline spot and struggled to pin each other. Rude was just about to get a rope-assisted pin when the bell rang, and the announcer declared a time limit draw, so both were out of the tournament.

The match started building a good pace, then got really slow, then got hot again before collapsing in the last minute. It was a weird, badly-paced match with a weird, badly-paced finish.

Add to that it was coming after some bad matches with bad finishes and one more lovely finish stings that much more.

Panama Red
Jul 30, 2003

Only in America could you find a way to earn a healthy buck and still keep your attitude on self destruct

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

It's easier to answer these questions as one giant answer. DG has tried dating back to T2P to make the new generation ace with Milano. CIMA and Magnum were such huge stars among Toryumon that it'd take a very special person to fill that role. Mocchi took over Magnum's slot with the M2K stable and Magnum's countless injuries/leaving. A big problem is that there is still a majority of the ticket buying DG fans who want to see CIMA on top and haven't connected to "newer" aces enough to cement them in that slot. They've now tried twice with Shingo Takagi, Yoshino doesn't have the charisma, BXB Hulk doesn't have the "main event" feeling, and they are gun shy with Tozawa.

CIMA's health is pretty well known and he's really beat up for someone at 36. His CMAX era ring style destroyed his knees and he had horrid neck and shoulder issues. Until they find someone who can supplant him, they are going to have major issues when he's in his 40s and fans still are coming solely to see CIMA.

Magnum got caught pocketing the trans money from the company after the split. CIMA's not the booker/owner. Genki Horiguchi leads the booking office, Okamura is the president. I don't know who holds the money behind it but there the "y" word has been thrown about.

Thanks for the response, this is all interesting info. I always assumed Magu left because of the eye injury; I didn't know about the embezzling. I also had read that CIMA took over booking in the aftermath of that, which is why DG took a slightly "USA indy" turn for awhile (the era with Jack Evans, matches with lots more crazy spots, etc). This had led me to assume that a lot of the reason DG had failed to build up their younger guys was a refusal on the part of some of the older guys (especially CIMA) to give up the spotlight. I was a big SaiRyo fan and understand why his 2006 push fell flat, but I figured by now that Hulk, Takagi, Tozawa or YAMATO would be ready to take the top spot by this point. It's kind of depressing to think that the true aces are the same guys who were leading the company back in 2005 (minus Magu and Milano, obviously).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MassRafTer posted:

Add to that it was coming after some bad matches with bad finishes and one more lovely finish stings that much more.
I can only assume that Rude and Roberts were caught off-guard by having to work a gently caress finish on top of another gently caress finish and go broadway halfway through the card. I've never seen another bad Rude/Roberts match, and Roberts was an expert at setting the pace with his opponent.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What makes the Rude vs Roberts match really frustrating is that we know both guys can do better.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm assuming the answer to this is "gently caress yes" but is Sable still on bad terms with WWE? It seems like getting her to appear on an old school Raw wouldn't be a huge deal if Brock is there.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What makes the Rude vs Roberts match really frustrating is that we know both guys can do better.

I'm a big fan of both Rude and Roberts, but that was a tough thing to watch for exactly this reason.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
When was the last time RAW was pre-empted? They used to get pushed aside for tennis and dog shows back in the day but it seems like that hasn't happened since I started following again in 2010.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

MassRafTer posted:

It's been a while since I've watched Wrestlemania 4 but I recall enjoying the first hour of it despite the terrible endings. And make no mistake, Bam Bam vs. One Man Gang was one of THE worst match endings I've ever seen, but with a lot of it I was still fairly entertained... plus we had Hogan's legendary swimming promo. Roberts vs. Rude isn't just a bad match with a bad ending. It absolutely kills the show and ruins any momentum it had going for it because it's just two guys killing time for 15 minutes for the sake of removing them from the tournament.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm assuming the answer to this is "gently caress yes" but is Sable still on bad terms with WWE? It seems like getting her to appear on an old school Raw wouldn't be a huge deal if Brock is there.

She'd probably want a talent contract to appear on-screen. Good luck getting Vince to pay for that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

When was the last time RAW was pre-empted? They used to get pushed aside for tennis and dog shows back in the day but it seems like that hasn't happened since I started following again in 2010.

I'm pretty sure that one of the terms of the last contract renewal with NBC Universal was that they would no longer be preempted for the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
But she's such a lady!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Timby posted:

I'm pretty sure that one of the terms of the last contract renewal with NBC Universal was that they would no longer be preempted for the Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show.
Back in the day when RAW got pre-empted my brother and I would watch the Dog Show while doing JR/King voices. This mostly consisted of us yelling PUPPIES and giggling uncontrollably.

Did the dog show actually do better numbers than RAW, though? Even when RAW was hot as hell it still would up being pre-empted.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endorph posted:

Back in the day when RAW got pre-empted my brother and I would watch the Dog Show while doing JR/King voices. This mostly consisted of us yelling PUPPIES and giggling uncontrollably.

Did the dog show actually do better numbers than RAW, though? Even when RAW was hot as hell it still would up being pre-empted.

It was part of the contract between USA and WWF.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Given how much story hate there was between Rude and Jake, I don't know why they wouldn't just do the Hogan/Andre thing and have them beat each other with chairs until a double DQ. Hogan/Andre could have ended on a double countout to the same effect.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Endorph posted:

The Dog Show wouldn't do better ratings than Attitude era Raw, but the ratings were good and it had a ton of advertiser prestige so it brought in more revenue than an episode of Raw.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Endorph posted:

Dave and Bryan actually talk about the preemptions on today's podcast. USA failing to guarantee that Raw would no longer be preempted was actually how they got around USA's clause that allowed them to match a different offer and onto TNN/Spike.

The dog show and US Open didn't get better ratings, but they did bring in much more ad revenue due to attracting more desirable demos for advertisers.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I'm guessing WCW must have gone nuts on Nitro making fun of them when they got pre-empted? It just seems like something they'd do (and Vince if the situation was reversed).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Given how much story hate there was between Rude and Jake, I don't know why they wouldn't just do the Hogan/Andre thing and have them beat each other with chairs until a double DQ. Hogan/Andre could have ended on a double countout to the same effect.
Sure, but why beat yourself up in a match that's specifically designed to not do anything for either of you?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Regarding Botchamania: I have come to understand that the early ones are too unpolished, and the later ones don't have good material to work with. So what's the magic sweet spot to start watching some of these?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Regarding Botchamania: I have come to understand that the early ones are too unpolished, and the later ones don't have good material to work with. So what's the magic sweet spot to start watching some of these?

The early ones are fine. You can pretty much stop watching when he just starts uploading nothing but unedited CZW show clips, or worse yet has to rely entirely on minor miscues at the latest WWE PPV to make a six-minute episode. Really he ran out of content, is all.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Memento posted:

I found an original copy used at a store for 8 bucks a few years back. It's my most prized wrestling DVD, filled with non-blurred logos and Limp Bizkit goodness.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Some of the latest botchamanias still have good moments. I loved the one of the two indy dudes failing to break a table like six times while Booker T went bugfuck insane.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Why cookie Rocket posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKVYrjMXMqc

This is probably the best Botchamania segment of all time. It's the best/worst ladder match I've ever seen.

Edit: Starts at 6:31.

Capsaicin fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 8, 2014

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Supreme Allah posted:

I'm guessing WCW must have gone nuts on Nitro making fun of them when they got pre-empted? It just seems like something they'd do (and Vince if the situation was reversed).

I can recall one of the commentators (tony?) mentioning something about snooty dogs beating the boys up north or something to that effect when they got pre-empted by the dog show

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Capsaicin posted:

This is probably the best Botchamania segment of all time. It's the best/worst ladder match I've ever seen.

Edit: Starts at 6:31.

Oh my loving lord, I LOST it at the guy SSPing himself on the turnbuckle.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

VogeGandire posted:

I love that it's him losing his balance at first, so you think "that's all it is", but then it stays on him a bit more and you're like, "how else is he going to gently caress up?".
You can think of at least five different things other than "not moving forward and just smashing his gut on the turnbuckle", but good lord, that's the best option of all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

VogeGandire posted:

That's this fella if I remember right.

Right onto Sexy Chuckie T.