Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

I don't think he has any upgrades planned for his brakes and I'm not sure how many sets he went through but probably 3 or 4.

The guy brakes essentially at the absolute last moment and is right on the limit of the tires locking up each time, like he's in a qualifying heat on every track day lap. He was my driving instructor at my first track day recently and is quite skilled, but I'd hate to pay for his maintenance items.

Yeah I figured anyone that can put that kind of a hurting on an already excellent stock setup is a hot-shoe late-braking sonofabitch but that's a legit driving style for the S2K and it gets the job done.

3-4 sets of pads is definitely pushing it, as is obvious. The heat damage to those is scary as poo poo, and if he gets a rotor with a defect, the first time it gets as hot as those obviously got they're gonna frag. I'm sure he's buying top quality but there are limits in metallurgy we have to obey here :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

Yeah I figured anyone that can put that kind of a hurting on an already excellent stock setup is a hot-shoe late-braking sonofabitch but that's a legit driving style for the S2K and it gets the job done.

3-4 sets of pads is definitely pushing it, as is obvious. The heat damage to those is scary as poo poo, and if he gets a rotor with a defect, the first time it gets as hot as those obviously got they're gonna frag. I'm sure he's buying top quality but there are limits in metallurgy we have to obey here :)

Apparantly what he noticed was a pull to the other side under braking, loss of braking power, and a slight pulsing in the pedal.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
"Slight"?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
He was trying to weld on the fly into T1. Didn't pan out.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I like how perfectly blued they are though. As if a metalworking artist did it.

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Aurune posted:

I don't know where to start with this one... :bang:

I think my favorite part of this train wreck is the "side pipes".
Or maybe it's just the confused look on the passenger's face.

I would drive this.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
One of the contractors turned up to site in this:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Lots of people drive Peugots, I don't think you can say they all belong in this thread. That doesn't even look like a 1007.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There's a bloke with a beige 1007 at work, predictably the electric doors are futzed so he spent most of last summer driving to work and back with both doors open, pretty ballin really.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

InitialDave posted:

One of the contractors turned up to site in this:

And?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The leading edge of the bonnet is disintegrating like a 1970s Vauxhall.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Some may find this hard to watch :nms::https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdp8auBPGp0

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
God damnit I want that loving motor. :cry:

The guy even pretty much sucks at operating, too.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

I don't even like the Dodge Viper and I think that is a loving waste.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The story is that it was sold to a technical school with no vin, but I don't understand why they chose to demolish the car instead of parting it out. They just threw thousands of dollars down the shitter.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cars "sold" to schools in that way are often done so with agreements that the car must be destroyed and cannot be resold. Same reason Mazda scrapped a bunch of otherwise-fine cars that sat at an angle above some seawater in the Cougar Ace; too scared of liability to be worth getting any money out of what's left as anything other than raw materials.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Cars "sold" to schools in that way are often done so with agreements that the car must be destroyed and cannot be resold. Same reason Mazda scrapped a bunch of otherwise-fine cars that sat at an angle above some seawater in the Cougar Ace; too scared of liability to be worth getting any money out of what's left as anything other than raw materials.

GM donated a bunch of flooded cars to schools in the early '90s, and my high school got a loaded '89 Cutlass Supreme for its auto class. It was forbidden from being driven on the street. Apparently GM sent lawyers out occasionally to do random checks, and we heard that one school had theirs taken away because it had been used as a parts runner and general errand car for the teacher. The most our car ever moved under its own power was from one end of the shop to the other. When the teacher retired, the car was crushed (as per the agreement with GM) with 8 miles on its odometer. It's a shame, because it was perfect once it had been reconditioned. I was particularly fond of it because the Cutlass Supreme was the pace car at the Indy 500 that I went to with my dad at age 9.

Just like this, but black:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

IOwnCalculus posted:

Cars "sold" to schools in that way are often done so with agreements that the car must be destroyed and cannot be resold.
Having been in that kind of tech school, I can tell you that nobody nowhere will want any part of that car after those students have "worked" on it.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Having been in that kind of tech school, I can tell you that nobody nowhere will want any part of that car after those students have "worked" on it.

Also having gone to a tech school I am going to confirm this as a fact.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Same thing for depot-rebuilt military engines... I know multiple people who have bought those, said what the hell I might as well check their work, cracked one open, and found things like untightened rod fasteners, bearings that were bad and not replaced, safety wire clippings just chillin' in the oil pan, missing gaskets, etc.

Then you have to go through the whole drat motor or you'll go insane wondering what else you missed that they screwed up.

Ulfhednar
Dec 16, 2006
Blood for the Blood God!
More fun with road salt:

Fun fact: there is a yellow road stripe and crosswalk zebra stripes in this picture somewhere.

I had to drive from Chicago to Southeastern Iowa on Sunday, in hopes that I'd beat the subzero temps. I had just gotten a brand new GoPro and unfortunatetly I didn't know the battery life was as short as it was an I missed out recording a semi-trailer dumping some of its load.
I filled up when I finally got into town.

The carwash was (and still is) closed due to the subzero tempuratures :gonk:

Ulfhednar fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 8, 2014

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Jesus Christ. I keep thinking it would be nice to move somewhere where it isn't summer 3 1/2 seasons out of four, but seeing all these road salt pictures is swiftly convincing me that's a terrible idea. I like having older cars dammit.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Still running summer tires. :smug:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I managed to stray into salt-territory last weekend...

and every loving CARWASH IS CLOSED :ssj:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I once found and open car wash in below freezing temperatures. Wasn't a good idea. It was a lovely automatic wash and I had a car glazed in ice for a couple of days.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I can't imagine how many pounds of body filler he used.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jan 8, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Ugly as poo poo but at least he used metal and body filler instead of duct tape, expanding foam, and body filler.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Features of the above car that I like: the vertical vent running to the side of the headlight with a line over the top that runs to the flare.

Features of the above car that I don't like: everything else. Particularly the vagina on the back.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 8, 2014

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Ulfhednar posted:

The carwash was (and still is) closed due to the subzero tempuratures :gonk:

This comes up every winter, and realistically dry salt sitting on painted metal for an extended period really isn't going to hurt anything. You'll be fine until the end of the week when temperatures come up to normal again.

OTOH it sucks when your car has enough salt on it that it gets on your clothes just by looking at it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

What is this? A DSM?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Probably a fiero.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Haha. But seriously, I just spent a few minutes browsing Wikipedia and it looks like a second gen Eclipse Spyder.

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
It isn't that MG that Top Gear was going on about a few years ago? Didn't that come with some V8 or something? Hilariously bad build quality (:britain:), but from what Clarkson was saying - 'mental'.

e: looks similar if you haven't looked at on in a few years. Totally different. :(

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

fingerling posted:

It isn't that MG that Top Gear was going on about a few years ago? Didn't that come with some V8 or something? Hilariously bad build quality (:britain:), but from what Clarkson was saying - 'mental'.

e: looks similar if you haven't looked at on in a few years. Totally different. :(

Looks like something homemade from Belarus.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012
Will someone please post that awesome russian website where they hack together cars out of pieces and parts?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Polymerized Cum posted:

Will someone please post that awesome russian website where they hack together cars out of pieces and parts?

http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/

looks like they got their hands on some american steel.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

CharlesM posted:

What is this? A DSM?

It's a very sad 97-99 2G Eclipse.

I like the exposed timing belt. Nothing you want more than a timing belt getting all the road grime/dirt/etc.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Same reason Mazda scrapped a bunch of otherwise-fine cars that sat at an angle above some seawater in the Cougar Ace; too scared of liability to be worth getting any money out of what's left as anything other than raw materials.

I looked up the Cougar Ace to refresh my memory and was reminded about what must have been the most amazing demolition derby session ever

Wikipedia posted:

After an extensive process to deploy all the airbags in each vehicle,

:rock:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Am I the only one tempted to cut their timing belt for exposing it like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Powershift posted:

http://autobotanik.livejournal.com/

looks like they got their hands on some american steel.