Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

I'm still amazed they won that war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

ArchangeI posted:

The story goes that she wanted to launch a single, inert Polaris at Buenos Aires with a note saying "Next one is live".

All I can think of now is Raylan Givens' "next one's coming faster" line.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
In hindsight, kinda wish Reagan would've given the British an aircraft carrier.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Smiling Jack posted:

I'm still amazed they won that war.

IIRC everyone was.

Oxford Comma posted:

In hindsight, kinda wish Reagan would've given the British an aircraft carrier.

I guess they could have taken the islands back in '86 then, after the workup was done.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

ArchangeI posted:

The story goes that she wanted to launch a single, inert Polaris at Buenos Aires with a note saying "Next one is live".

I hope this is true because if so then Thatcher owned (even more).

e: it seems kinda ridiculous that the note would survive re-entry (I suppose it would arrive by telex, not actually on the missile, as awesome as that would be)

Mortabis fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 7, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

ArchangeI posted:

That sounds...dangerous. Like, in the "oh god, UK just fired the first shot of WWIII, commence counterattack operations! Fire back!" sense.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Davin Valkri posted:

That sounds...dangerous. Like, in the "oh god, UK just fired the first shot of WWIII, commence counterattack operations! Fire back!" sense.
You can rest well assured they'd inform their friends over the pond before doing anything drastic. Mitterand's judgement was flawed (if at least no psychopathic), the US would never have let them get away with nuking civilians.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Davin Valkri posted:

Everything involved in this story, that Guardian article, etc sounds like 100% horseshit - shocking for a Guardian article mentioning Thatcher, I know - but in the event you were doing something like this (no one would) I imagine you would treat it like a range test launch and call everybody and their mother letting them know about it beforehand.

Besides you'd never just be carrying around inert range missiles unless you were planning a test launch, a warshot loaded warship would have to fire the Polaris filled with candy instead.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Snowdens Secret posted:

Everything involved in this story, that Guardian article, etc sounds like 100% horseshit - shocking for a Guardian article mentioning Thatcher, I know - but in the event you were doing something like this (no one would) I imagine you would treat it like a range test launch and call everybody and their mother letting them know about it beforehand.

Besides you'd never just be carrying around inert range missiles unless you were planning a test launch, a warshot loaded warship would have to fire the Polaris filled with candy instead.

Shockingly they just quote the author of some garbage book.

I can imagine some wrangling going on about Exocet, but seeing as the UK themselves operated the ship-launched version, and the French supposedly trained the task force on how to handle a strike (a fat lot of good that did!), there probably was far more agreement to handling the AM39 then stated.

It might just have been Mitterrand spinning a story to protect his 'independence' or whatever it is that motivates the French to act like they do.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ArchangeI posted:

Yep that sure is a story

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yep that sure is a story

Just like when England dropped a fake, wooden bomb on a fake German airfield in WW2.* :smug:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Mortabis posted:

I hope this is true because if so then Thatcher owned (even more).

e: it seems kinda ridiculous that the note would survive re-entry (I suppose it would arrive by telex, not actually on the missile, as awesome as that would be)

I'm imagining a bigger version of the cartoon handguns that fire and shoot out a small flag that unfolds to reveal the word "Bang!"

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Sky writing MIRVs.

"COME AT ME BRO"

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yep that sure is a story

Are you telling me that second hand stories on the Internet are not valuable primary sources? :eyepop:

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

ArchangeI posted:

Are you telling me that second hand stories on the Internet are not valuable primary sources? :eyepop:

BRITISH HOUSEWIFE DISCOVERS WEIRD OLD TRICK FOR REMOVING ARGENTINES.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Liberals HATE her!

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Agean90 posted:

Liberals HATE her!

Unfortunately that doesn't really work in a European context.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

A lot of things dont work in a European context but I think we can let that slide to continue the joke

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Koesj posted:

"She's threatening to unleash an atomic weapon against Argentina if I don't provide her with the secret codes that will make the missiles we sold the Argentinians deaf and blind."

The 'codes'here are almost certainly related to the exact jamming frequencies for the missile's on-board seeker. You can infer it even from that Guardian article, which is nothing more than a sensationalist headline really.

Yeah, if anything at all, it's "here is our internal design data for the missile's guidance system, do with it what you will".

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
In terms of crazy falklands poo poo, operation mikado was pretty damned crazy.

So, exocets were a clear and present danger to the ramshackle task force. Rather than lob a polaris or twenty, or risk the handful of harriers/another, even more complex black buck raid, the plan was to use 2 C-130's to land 50 or so SAS troopers directly onto an Argentine airfield in the Rio Grande in order to kill off the remaining Exocets, the Etendard strike fighters and pilots that were deemed to present the largest threat to her majesties royal penguin supply, then fly away again, or, failing that, fight 50+ miles on foot through Argentina into Chile.

This wasn't just some pipe-dream, the operation was only cancelled when an attempt to insert some other SAS troops to create an observation point near the airfield was aborted after a comedy of errors trying to get them there, and several troopers resigned rather than go ahead with what would have almost certainly been a suicide mission.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

The whole thing is a clusterfuck of the largest magnitude. I don't know how big the SAS(Edit: Apparently ~240 active combat troops) is, but I'd imagine when 50 of them are dead/captured you'll have a pretty big hole in the Regiment. Even if it works they'd be basically burning a ton of their most experienced soldiers and an obscene amount of good will among the military to do it.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

The Marines would be the Tea Party: wish it was still the 1940s, disproportionally influential due to our political system, bound and determined to break everything rather than compromise their obsolete and unrealistic ideology, terrified of their continuing slide into irrelevance.

Holy poo poo

Dead Reckoning posted:

Also, when someone joins they will not shut up about it, and they produce a ton of eye-roll worthy bumper stickers & Facebook posts.

Holy poo poo

ArchangeI posted:

GODDAMN BUGS WHACKED US JOHNNY

Regarding the French, they had a CLS team from Aérospatiale that remained in the country for the duration of the conflict doing depot level maintenance on the missiles, something that probably got at least 2 missiles serviceable where they otherwise wouldn't have functioned, so they totally played both sides. Which is a very French thing to do.

And Mikado was just :psyboom:. No real other way to put it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

And Mikado was just :psyboom:. No real other way to put it.

It just sounds so much like a mission you'd play in Call of Duty. A daring deep strike against an enemy airfield with no hope of survival! PS hope a Hind doesn't show up to ruin your day.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Arrath posted:

It just sounds so much like a mission you'd play in Call of Duty. A daring deep strike against an enemy airfield with no hope of survival! PS hope a Hind doesn't show up to ruin your day.

Bonus: lots of interesting facial hair, some weird nicknames.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Arrath posted:

PPS press X to hope into the Gunship that appears out of nowhere to provide air support (lol at the idea of the RAF having a gunship...if they had AC-130s they would probably screw up the contract so they wouldn't be able to use the software to operate the guns or something, rendering the platform completely useless.)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Arrath posted:

Wait, didn't you already have no hope of survival before the Hind showed up?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Memento posted:

Yeah but now it's really hopeless!

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Memento posted:

Well, yes. But now you get a sweet chase scene as the survivors steal some cargo trucks and :torgue:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Arrath posted:

Well, yes. But now you get a sweet chase scene as the survivors steal some cargo trucks and :torgue:

Luckily that truck has a .50 mounted on it, allowing you to shoot down the chopper and the pursuing trucks full of soldiers.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

When you finish the mission you get an urgent radio message: The Argentinians are invading Britain! Hold them off at a fast food restaurant in a London suburb!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Smiling Jack posted:

Okay, Ignition! is loving insane. Cold War scientists were flat-out balls-to-the-wall holy poo poo I can't believe you tried that insane.

Rocket Scientists are one thing, Propellant Chemists are loving off the charts.

Page 165. They blow up a test facility. Since the facility was designed to test rockets, it was rather over-engineered, but they managed to destroy a reinforced test stand with two-foot concrete walls and blow a decidedly non-aerodynamic six-foot piece of armor plate 1400 feet through a forest.

The really scary part is the casual way he discusses developing, testing and using various terrifying compounds- by the time they get around to putting them in rocket engines the scary poo poo has already been done.

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

Okay, Ignition! is loving insane. Cold War scientists were flat-out balls-to-the-wall holy poo poo I can't believe you tried that insane.

Rocket Scientists are one thing, Propellant Chemists are loving off the charts.

Thank you for the link! I've been hunting for this book for a long time.

dubzee
Oct 23, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah but now it's really hopeless!

That's how the Brits roll...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXusKM5uX0s

(yeah st. nazaire isn't cold war deal with it)

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
How to tackle a bloke with your bare hands: Knock him out, spoil his prospects, and pinch his weapon. And his gold watch too, if he's got one.

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 8, 2014

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Agean90 posted:

When you finish the mission you get an urgent radio message: The Argentinians are invading Britain! Hold them off at a fast food restaurant in a London suburb!

Hmm. Apparently the next COD game should be aimed at british audiences with this plot because I am hard as hell right now

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Smiling Jack posted:

The really scary part is the casual way he discusses developing, testing and using various terrifying compounds- by the time they get around to putting them in rocket engines the scary poo poo has already been done.

The absolutely loving terrifying one is when someone seriously proposed dimethylmercury as a propellant. "Safe? Oh yeah, that stuff's safe. No problem." The author called up Kodak to order some and Kodak said "What the gently caress? Do you know how insane that is?"

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
What video games do have a Falklands component? I remember the ancient Strike Fleet having Falklands missions that really showed off how awful the British ships' AAW capabilities were, but that's the only one to come to mind, and that came out pretty close to the conflict itself.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Snowdens Secret posted:

What video games do have a Falklands component? I remember the ancient Strike Fleet having Falklands missions that really showed off how awful the British ships' AAW capabilities were, but that's the only one to come to mind, and that came out pretty close to the conflict itself.

Not enough 'murica for there to be a market, maybe? There's not a whole lot of a market for naval strategy games anyhow, sadly. I think the last one was Naval War: Arctic Circle, which had its fair share of issues.

There might be a Falkland scenario for Jane's Fleet Command floating around though, if you want to go classic.

Edit VVV Good lord, $90.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 8, 2014

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
There's probably a whole slew of Harpoon scenarios and I'm sure C:MANO has some as well.

Also, you've got Squad Battles on the land front as well but it's a Tiller game and thus mega spergy and with an old and fail interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Snowdens Secret posted:

I'm so old... I loved Strike Fleet. That was one of the most fun Apple IIe games I ever owned.