Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleRobit
Jun 14, 2013

http://imgur.com/a/v6k6D
^Translated stuff right there.

It looked like he had a brief flash of his mother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
Every chapter has a big new revelation that casts everything you've already read in a new light. Isayama has done an incredible job with the plotting and foreshadowing.

Edit: I love Eren being a total fuckup whose BURNING SHOUNEN RAGE doesn't solve any problems and is likely to get his friends killed. After several months of in-story time, he's still barely any better at controlling his superweapon.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Where'd the spoof on titan comics come from? I saw one and it was hilarious.

AnonSpore posted:

I can't read it at all so yes. I wish people would be specific with their terminology. The chapter linked in the thread is a Chinese scanlation, not a raw.

To be fair someone who doesn't read either language might not be able to tell.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
So, if I get this right, Grisha was eaten by Eren?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Where'd the spoof on titan comics come from? I saw one and it was hilarious.

There from here. https://www.mangabox.me/reader/SpoofonTitan/ Also a new chapter.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

my dad posted:

So, if I get this right, Grisha was eaten by Eren?

that's the implication I got.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
So just thowing out some wild speculation here.

Facts:
-Being completely assimilated by a titan destroys your body.
-Eren has a flash back to a noble woman who looks a lot like himself.
-In the anime, Eren's flashback was changed from the Mikasa look-alike to titans attacking a nobles estate.
-Ymir was once completely absorbed by a titan.
-Ymir is a mans name.
-Eren can be both a boys and a girls name.
-Grish was on a first name basis with Keith Shadis, a former high ranking member of the survey corps (this also brings me towards something that happened in this chapter: Erwin is looking for information, where does he go? The trainee corps. Where Shadis works. Of course he could just be "retiring" into them as a cover or something.)
-Eren was always very intense, even as a child and before his revenge quest gave him an excuse to be so.

Hypothesis:
When coming back from your titan form after your entire body has been assimilated it's possible for your sex to get mixed up. Being in titan form also sets your Regen into overdrive and can lead to it rolling back your age restoring your body to an earlier state. This is the reason for the memory loss while in titan form and why there is a time limit on how long you can stay coherent. When Ymir restored her human form, she was relatively speaking in her early teens, and still retained much of her pre-titan memories. Eren's restored body however was much younger because he had been a titan for much longer.

(Initially I used to think that Mikasa-Look-alike my have been his origional mother or some other person he knew, but the flash back in this chapter is clearly from her point of view.)

He was discovered in this state out in the wild by Shadis, who took him to Grisha. The information in the basement is Grisha's research notes that he made while studying Eren. Eren's old memories are still locked away somewhere in his brain and the 'original' Eren knows a lot more about what's going on than he does.

Or it's the genetic memory/reincarnation thing.

VVVVVVVVVV

Toshimo posted:

But Ilse's aberrant titan confuses Isle with Ymir...

Good point. There's plenty of holes with this. One things for sure though, whoever that woman is she's important to understanding what exactly Eren is.

Outside of the start of the manga, is there anywhere else that could be Eren having a flash like this? Guess it's time to scour the manga for clues again...

Pensive fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 7, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

For one moment I thought that the chapter was parody.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cao Ni Ma posted:

For one moment I thought that the chapter was parody.

I thought the same thing until I got a good part into it.

What a weird opening, would this chapter start a new volume?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c053/46.html

The way Levi says "My ankle is fine now" almost makes me think a death flag is on him in the next few chapters. Please don't die :ohdear:

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

If Levi bites it, it will be in a blaze of glory killing like 40 titans. No way some random punk pervert dude is taking Levi out.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
He did tease Levi being taken out by a human in this chapter, or the Recon Corps' mission as a whole being dolchstossed to poo poo by some assholes inside the wall.

I want to say Levi's going to be a survivor all the way to volume 100 because of the sweet fujoshi $.

Another funny thing is that Sasha has become like the Situation on the Jersey Shore: whenever anything happens, she makes a funny reaction face. The Sitch figured out that more dumb reaction faces = more screen time = more $. It looks like Sasha's got that formula now, but replace $ with "gets to live"

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

threeagainstfour posted:

If Levi bites it, it will be in a blaze of glory killing like 40 titans. No way some random punk pervert dude is taking Levi out.

Eh, they could always have a platoon of Central Military Policemen shoot Levi in the back during the rescue mission, if they (or the conspiracy) had a hand in the kidnapping.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 7, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Hahaha, poor Armin. I was really confused about how there were two Historias for a minute there.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Pensive posted:

So just thowing out some wild speculation here.

Facts:
-Ymir was once completely absorbed by a titan.
-Ymir is a mans name.

But Ilse's aberrant titan confuses Isle with Ymir...

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Going with the titan-shifting-can-change-your-sex theory: Mikasa is Eren from the future. That's why she's so intent on protecting him - because if he dies then she disappears :v:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Going with the titan-shifting-can-change-your-sex theory: Mikasa is Eren from the future. That's why she's so intent on protecting him - because if he dies then she disappears :v:

Too far. I'm going to have to ask you to set the crack pipe down before you hurt yourself.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

Too far. I'm going to have to ask you to set the crack pipe down before you hurt yourself.

I love my lovely theories, man. I'm not sure if I like this one better than "Eren is literally Jesus"

Although I guess that this chapter may disprove my theory that monkey trouble is actually Eren's dad

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

jonjonaug posted:

Yeah. About half the chapter is talking about how Eren can't get hard and is too small to fill a hole.
Like you, I could not stop giggling like a 10 year old during that sequence. Oh, dick jokes...why can't I read you without keeping a straight face?

I was glad to see that Eren now does have some limited control over his Titan form. But then again, it's limited. Was not surprised that Titan!Eren can't talk, given how his mouth is designed. But, I was impressed at his cognitive skills with the house building experiment.

As for the rest of the chapter, the flashback/random image was...something. :stare: I have no idea where THAT will go. Armin and Jean....you better get some kind of reward for this disguise operation. Especially you, Armin.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Is it just me, or did this chapter's pacing feel rather...psychotic? I mean, there were some jumps in the anime and manga, but this entire chapter made me feel uncomfortable due to constant, weird-feeling scene/time changes. Not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, almost felt as if the author was going for it.

fake edit: gently caress, that actually works thematically.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

AradoBalanga posted:

I was impressed at his cognitive skills with the house building experiment.

Made me think: since he cant get hardened, why not just have him pile some big rocks there or something to close the hole in the wall

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Maybe it's not Eren's memory and Titans can absorb the memories of the people they eat. Maybe his dad didn't give Eren a booster shot of Titan Juice, but liquid memory or something

muike fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 7, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Made me think: since he cant get hardened, why not just have him pile some big rocks there or something to close the hole in the wall

They should just give him a really huge wheelbarrow and set him to work mixing up a ton of concrete and patching up the wall with a gigantic bricklayer's trowel. If only so we get to see Eren titan wearing a yellow construction helmet. :allears:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/c053/46.html

The way Levi says "My ankle is fine now" almost makes me think a death flag is on him in the next few chapters. Please don't die :ohdear:

This is my thought too, C'mon Isayama, do it do it.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

They should just give him a really huge wheelbarrow and set him to work mixing up a ton of concrete and patching up the wall with a gigantic bricklayer's trowel. If only so we get to see Eren titan wearing a yellow construction helmet. :allears:

"In that form, you could easily build a castle."

Foreshadowing?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was definitely a death flag on Levi's part. That was even more death-flaggy than Hannes' death flags prior to being eaten by Chuckles. RIP, humanity's greatest soldier.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

JosephWongKS posted:

That was definitely a death flag on Levi's part. That was even more death-flaggy than Hannes' death flags prior to being eaten by Chuckles. RIP, humanity's greatest soldier.

But he's much shorter than I imagined.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Dessel posted:

Is it just me, or did this chapter's pacing feel rather...psychotic? I mean, there were some jumps in the anime and manga, but this entire chapter made me feel uncomfortable due to constant, weird-feeling scene/time changes. Not saying it's necessarily a bad thing, almost felt as if the author was going for it.

fake edit: gently caress, that actually works thematically.

It's not just you. It jumped around a lot and the pacing felt weird because of it. This chapter really could have been spread out to two chapters, just with more content inbetween scenes like an escape from the hideout that the central police found, or more scenes in the shelter Eren and Historia are in.

I don't think Levi activated his death flag. I think it was Nile Dawk that activated his death flag. He's just following orders, Erwin points out how following his orders doesn't necessarily protect his family, and now we learn that his wife is about to give birth to his third child. It's a perfect setup for him to start questioning what he's really doing and getting killed for it.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Pensive posted:

"In that form, you could easily build a castle."

Foreshadowing?

The "Building A Castle Arc" will definitely become this manga's "Protagonist Takes Up Farming" arc.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

DrSunshine posted:

The "Building A Castle Arc" will definitely become this manga's "Protagonist Takes Up Farming" arc.
Vinland Farming Saga was amazing, so I support this wholeheartedly no matter how many volumes it takes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Elias_Maluco posted:

They'd need 1 big boulder like they used before to plug a wall, but they don't have the time or resources to dig one there or transport one.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I don't think Levi activated his death flag. I think it was Nile Dawk that activated his death flag. He's just following orders, Erwin points out how following his orders doesn't necessarily protect his family, and now we learn that his wife is about to give birth to his third child. It's a perfect setup for him to start questioning what he's really doing and getting killed for it.

Why don't you think Levi activated his death flag just yet? Nile possibly dying doesn't rule out Levi dying.

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jan 8, 2014

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

I think also think Levi activated his death trap, which will occur with the rescue of Jeren and Arimsta. With his dying words, he'll tell Mikasa to take over his position, not Zoe. Seriously, he dies and superhuman #2 jumps to the first slot. She's even got the spinny jump down.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sindai posted:

Hahaha, poor Armin. I was really confused about how there were two Historias for a minute there.

Speaking of, who was disguised as Eren?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Jean.

edit: bottom left panel

http://i.imgur.com/DgJpkmu.png

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

HoneyBoy posted:

Jean.

edit: bottom left panel

http://i.imgur.com/DgJpkmu.png
Nice nod (retcon?) to the anime there.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Huh, am I dumb or is there no way to look at the older ones?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

He did it in the manga too, but it was only a couple of brief panels and lacked that whole scene where he begs Eren to remember Marco, so I can see how you forgot.

20 hours until the Crunchyroll translation. :ohdear:

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

AradoBalanga posted:

Nice nod (retcon?) to the anime there.

It's not a retcon nor a nod to the anime. In the manga, Jean had also acted as Eren's double during the "try to lure Annie into going underground" plan - http://mangafox.me/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/v08/c031/28.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

JosephWongKS posted:

It's not a retcon nor a nod to the anime. In the manga, Jean had also acted as Eren's double during the "try to lure Annie into going underground" plan - http://mangafox.me/manga/shingeki_no_kyojin/v08/c031/28.html
I completely forgot that. Good job, brain. :v: