Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

So not a "city" then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Loucks posted:

So not a "city" then?

It's a "city" with it's own "city" commission and other "city" crap related to it. It became a city in 1910.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Qu Appelle posted:

It sounds like a decent strategy.

Yeah, that seemed to pay off. There were a few portals today that lost some resonators, so I powered it back up and then got to through out a bunch of links. Made out with over 20k in points. To top it off, some green guy attacked a bunch of stuff just now. It's pretty cool to have something actually happen.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Major enlightened op just happened, most of the western US and parts of Canada and Mexico were covered by megafields. I missed the total at three biggest, but with two of the big anchors down already, they're still ahead by 100M MU. I guess we can stop making fun of them for lighthouse now.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Here's what it looked like, btw

edit: sounds like there may have been cheating involved in creating it https://plus.google.com/+JackMiner/posts/9nJCNvbKGJQ

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 13, 2014

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Definitely suspicious, but considering my local group gets accused of cheating frequently with no basis (in reality we're just much better organized,) I'll at least wait at least until the accused people have a chance to respond.

GWBBQ fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 13, 2014

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

I discovered today that I can recharge a portal remotely, if I have the portal key for it.

This makes guarding my little subdivisions portal all the much easier. (Yes, guarding is dumb, blah blah, but it's tucked away on a side street, and it's only been attacked and taken over once by the opposition. Then, I ignored it and let it decay before I took it over again. They haven't been back, as I don't think it's worth the effort to them.

I've had it for 25 days now :black101:

Oh, and I saw the mega green field. I thought that my scanner malfunctioned at first.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Qu Appelle posted:

Oh, and I saw the mega green field. I thought that my scanner malfunctioned at first.
I noticed the numbers jump up but didn't see the field. The tears from that sure are amusing.

I got someone else at work hooked last week.

Also got close enough to level 6 to bring myself to take a drive out to find more portals and level up along with chatting more with the local blue group. It's sucking me in and I feel ashamed :(

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Just hit 5 million. I might quit soon; even trolling is losing its appeal. If it wasn't for all of the hilarious blue hate I get in comms, I'd probably be done already.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I just decided to give this game a go... Anything I should know that isn't readily apparent by the OP and the reddit doc?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Zip posted:

I just decided to give this game a go... Anything I should know that isn't readily apparent by the OP and the reddit doc?

Probably head over to http://ingressfieldguide.com/content/ingress-bootcamp and have a look through the sections there. Also hook-up with your local G+ Resistance/Enlightened group ASAP as they will be able to provide the best assistance in-game (Just ask in faction comms once you have completed training and chosen your faction).

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

cheese-cube posted:

Probably head over to http://ingressfieldguide.com/content/ingress-bootcamp and have a look through the sections there. Also hook-up with your local G+ Resistance/Enlightened group ASAP as they will be able to provide the best assistance in-game (Just ask in faction comms once you have completed training and chosen your faction).

I chose resistance but...

I might just make the switch... They seem a bit douchey in my area. Their faction chat has them calling enlightened weird poo poo like boogars and bitches.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Zip posted:

I might just make the switch... They seem a bit douchey in my area. Their faction chat has them calling enlightened weird poo poo like boogars and bitches.

I'm Enlightened and our local group just calls Resistance "smurfs" or "Rosies" (Can't exactly remember how the latter came about). "Boogars" is a new one to me.

Edit: half the fun is watching people flip their poo poo and then calling them out for getting mad over a loving smartphone app.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

ok so dumb question... someone connected portal after portal in our area to create a few glowing blue areas laid over each other... so now I can't see the roads when I look at my cell phone ingress map.. just a glowing blue area mostly. It looks pretty weird though.

Is this a graphics glitch or a totally normal occurrence?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Zip posted:

ok so dumb question... someone connected portal after portal in our area to create a few glowing blue areas laid over each other... so now I can't see the roads when I look at my cell phone ingress map.. just a glowing blue area mostly. It looks pretty weird though.

Is this a graphics glitch or a totally normal occurrence?

Normal. There are ways to overlap fields and stack MU gain.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Normal. There are ways to overlap fields and stack MU gain.

man that poo poo looks wicked.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Zip posted:

Enlightened are toads, and a lot of them are fine people if you run into 'em. I'd take pleasure in tearing down your current faction's fields.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

Ya I think I'm going to stay resistance. I walked a ways from home to a local jamba juice today and then went around the corner to link a few into a field... Someone popped up on messages saying they say my field just rise and was wondering if I was at the jamba juice.

He came around the corner and helped me rip down some of the enlightened portals and then set new links... Gave me a ton of items. I might join his south bay group.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

How rare are these Jarvis virus items? I just got one and I'm wondering if I should hoard it or not.

Sudoku
Jul 18, 2009
So is starting to play this a bad idea, then? I read the whole thread and there's a disproportionate amount of talk about how bad/boring/worse it is.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

The Jarvis/ADA items are pretty rare. I've only gotten three of them out of a few thousand hacks.

And it's not a bad idea to start the game, just don't be an rear end in a top hat who takes it super seriously. Also know that you will probably run into a few of those eventually, because like all nerd games this one tends to attract awkward rejects who make games/hobbies waaaay too central to their lives. There are plenty of perfectly fine people who play though. Hell, if you've ever been to a gaming convention you're probably already familiar with the mix.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I'm only a level 4 so I don't know that much about this game. However, I find it to be very fun when playing with friends. We go out and explore parts of our city that we've never seen before. We don't take it seriously as a game its really more of a interactive tour guide with meta-gaming built in.

Try it, just not alone.

Edit: Good grief, I just got a ADA item too. A jarvis and an ADA within a few hours of each other. Hacked maybe 40 portals total today?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Gunktacular posted:

How rare are these Jarvis virus items? I just got one and I'm wondering if I should hoard it or not.

I think I read that the drop-rate is 0.1% for the item specific to your faction.

Sudoku posted:

So is starting to play this a bad idea, then? I read the whole thread and there's a disproportionate amount of talk about how bad/boring/worse it is.

I just play Ingress as a fun time waster during my daily commute and whenever I'm in town and bored. I don't really go out of my way to play it but it's fun to play casually and meet cool people.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
On the flip side there are crazy obsessive people. Just came across a local guy with 33 million AP. The only explanation for that is that he plans his day around a cell phone game. Every day.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Maker Of Shoes posted:

On the flip side there are crazy obsessive people. Just came across a local guy with 33 million AP. The only explanation for that is that he plans his day around a cell phone game. Every day.
People have done some crazy poo poo for this game. Off the top of my head there was the Russian team who sent a shard from Russia to Israel then flew down, drove a few hours, and sent it to the next destination, one guy managed to get permission from Russian state security services to access a restricted area to move a shard, a group who chartered a helicopter to fly them over Yosemite to capture portals for an operation, and your run-of-the-mill obsessive players.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

I really like this game... I plan on playing it for months until this Dustcloud kick starter goes through and then I'll switch to geocaching pew pew spy game stuff.
But so far there's nor much out there that is as cool as this for me :)

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Our local newbies are dumb as rocks. Four players, in two cars, spent three hours taking out four portals. They've been stopped by the police twice tonight. I went to take back a portal and they had two cars parked side-by-side blocking the road, and not even on top of the portal. They wouldn't move, they didn't know I was an Ingress player, and there were cars behind me. One of them is bitching in comms that the first cop tried to pick a fight with him and they sent two cars the second time. In just over a year of playing I've been stopped by police once, and it was for circling town hall four times at night, and it took 20 seconds to clear it up.

They're poo poo talkers too, finally some entertainment in the area!

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
...Almost an hour per portal? Did they not get out of the cars and walk a bit closer? Are they level three?

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

PerrineClostermann posted:

...Almost an hour per portal? Did they not get out of the cars and walk a bit closer? Are they level three?

Level 6 and they stayed in their cars, on the opposite side of the portal from the L8 resonators. We recharged one L8 and they didn't know how to deal with that, so they sent a decoy car to attack another portal. After a while we got sick of wasting power cubes and let them have it, because their four-player operation involved anchoring all of their fields at our anchor in the middle of nowhere, which we use because we have two players who live close to it. After they left to go built up another town, I fired a spam link to a couple miles north of where they were. Two of them came back at 3am to take it down. It took them 15 minutes to take down a level 5 portal that wasn't being recharged.

I'm a bit concerned about idiots drawing a lot of police attention to the game by blocking roads and having two cars sitting at suburban portals for an hour each. The funniest part is that the three people coordinating their mini-operation are all cops from a few towns over.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Meanwhile, my subdivision portal is so ignored by everyone but me that I put a reminder in Google Calendar to keep it charged.

36 days and counting!

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
Team Blue were well co-ordinated last night:

(my hosting, but not my screenshot)

I checked my phone this morning and everything was blue, which means I wouldn't be able to make any new links. Hats off to whoever sorted that, I imagine it took a poo poo ton of work to pull off :)

the main field was taken out about 20mins ago though, so I can pop out later and do green stuff :)

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

All the dots are getting sucked into the mothership

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm seeing Screenshots of Very Rare Force Amps in the wild in confunction with today's anomaly. Also, for anyone who plays casually and doesn't follow the storyline groups on G+, looks like we're about to start seeing XM Artifacts that need to be moved to faction-specific portals. Looks like it will be the shards all over again; hope you've been saving your link amps.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

I'm seeing Screenshots of Very Rare Force Amps in the wild in confunction with today's anomaly. Also, for anyone who plays casually and doesn't follow the storyline groups on G+, looks like we're about to start seeing XM Artifacts that need to be moved to faction-specific portals. Looks like it will be the shards all over again; hope you've been saving your link amps.

The release notes for scanner version 1.39.2 included a line saying "Support for Very Rare Link Amps." I've never seen any of them drop from hacks so perhaps they will introduce them for the new XM Artifact event.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

cheese-cube posted:

The release notes for scanner version 1.39.2 included a line saying "Support for Very Rare Link Amps." I've never seen any of them drop from hacks so perhaps they will introduce them for the new XM Artifact event.

I don't think any VRLAs ever dropped from hacks, they were crazy rare items. They were distributed as passcodes on physical cards handed out to winning players of at least one of the anomaly events leading up to the whole Jarvis Shard thing. I could have sworn someone told me that there were only several dozen of them out in the wild.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

Portal acceptance/rejection emails are coming again!

2 portals accepted, 48 more to go :black101: (I've submitted a lot of portals)

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
How long have you been waiting for the first portals to go through? I have been waiting 8 weeks for my first with no reply :(

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

nex posted:

How long have you been waiting for the first portals to go through? I have been waiting 8 weeks for my first with no reply :(

That's about the time frame. These are portals I submitted the second/third week of December.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

And...11 more portal acceptances came through yesterday. Now I'm up to 15.

:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

I've been waiting 3-4 months on some portal submissions.

• Locked thread