Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gookzilla
Apr 3, 2003

Hate motivates

warheadr posted:

This isn't broadcast-related, but deserves mentioning. Any talk of psychotic sports parents and what it does to the kids needs mention of the Esquire article on Todd Marinovich from several years ago. If you haven't read it yet, definitely take the time to, especially in relation to this chat about kids and sports. It's fantastic, and terribly sad.
Marinovich himself participates in a roundtable discussion with the director, Peter Berg, and others immediately following the airings. It's still a pretty sad case and he's a work in progress trying to put himself back together. In one part, someone mentions the work involved in becoming a great athlete and how if you're going to eschew the traditional childhood, you need to take some pleasure in putting in the work to become great and find joy in that. Marinovich, of course, says there was never any joy in any of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

I'm gonna give Matt a little benefit of the doubt here because last night he was better than anything he's done in the booth in the last 8 years. He's still not spectacular or anything but he seemed pretty comfortable and more in his element.

I watched most of the game on this one and yeah, Millen was actually pretty ok and almost likeable if I could forget who he was. As a way to watch the game I kind of wish I hadn't stuck with it so long because I flipped over a couple of plays before Tre Mason's last TD and realized I'd really missed the wall of crowd noise, but it was still good.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

My only complaint about the film room thing was that the lack of enthusiasm kind of made it feel like you weren't actually watching a live game. I watched it a lot in the first three quarters but when things got good I flipped back to ESPN to be able to hear everything.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I would probably watch Film Room if the main feed was called by someone who isn't Musberger, but that dude rules too much to pass over.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'd really love to see the Film Room idea expanded to other sports because it has an absolute shitload of potential, especially for big NBA playoff games, the upcoming World Cup, etc.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

DJExile posted:

I'd really love to see the Film Room idea expanded to other sports because it has an absolute shitload of potential, especially for big NBA playoff games, the upcoming World Cup, etc.

The only thing with the NBA is that because the pace is so quick that you can't really break down a play without missing three or four others in the process.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

The only thing with the NBA is that because the pace is so quick that you can't really break down a play without missing three or four others in the process.

Yeah that's true. Maybe instead you cut to like 2 coaches and an analyst during intermissions but that's basically every halftime show so.... I donno. I guess part of the appeal is the presentation, or total lack thereof, really. This didn't feel overly polished, it didn't feel dumbed down, it was great.

I know you want general analysis to be easy enough for casual viewers but there should be a way to work this in there somehow.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

DJExile posted:

Yeah that's true. Maybe instead you cut to like 2 coaches and an analyst during intermissions but that's basically every halftime show so.... I donno. I guess part of the appeal is the presentation, or total lack thereof, really. This didn't feel overly polished, it didn't feel dumbed down, it was great.

I know you want general analysis to be easy enough for casual viewers but there should be a way to work this in there somehow.

Just simulcast the game on ESPNews but have coaches break down plays during each commercial and just have an advertising bar on the bottom or side during the broadcast to offset the commercial losses.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
ESPN named Ian Darke the No. 1 announcer for the World Cup, but it came at the expense of Martin Tyler, who left the company.

Please hire him FOX and end the Gus Johnson Experiment already.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Just simulcast the game on ESPNews but have coaches break down plays during each commercial and just have an advertising bar on the bottom or side during the broadcast to offset the commercial losses.

OK yeah I can go with this.

Benne posted:

ESPN named Ian Darke the No. 1 announcer for the World Cup, but it came at the expense of Martin Tyler, who left the company.

Please hire him FOX and end the Gus Johnson Experiment already.

I still like Gus, but man it's clear Fox gave him like zero prep or education before just throwing him right into the fire.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008
That was somewhat the intent, to have Gus learn on the fly. The problem is that doing so was a terrible strategy and he obviously hasn't made any progress over the last year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The Prisoner posted:

That was somewhat the intent, to have Gus learn on the fly. The problem is that doing so was a terrible strategy and he obviously hasn't made any progress over the last year.

Yeah, his call on the Ben Watson goal for Wigan's FA Cup was phenomenal but it's like the poor guy is just begging for help. He mispronounces the poo poo out of names and seems like he still has trouble adapting to the pace of a soccer game as opposed to football or basketball (where he's clearly more comfortable).

He's definitely got potential but he really needs some help.

E: Gus's color guy in that clip just kills me every time, giggling at what was probably his first Gusgasm he got to experience live.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 8, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

C. Everett Koop posted:

And if Musburger is retiring than they'll just move Brad Nessler to the A team and pair him with Herbstreit and if you've played NCAA in the past decade you won't notice a thing. Nessler's real solid and everything will be fine. I wonder who would become the #2 then, move Davis into that role and away from May/Holtzzzzzzzz?
Joe Tessitore is ESPN's #3 PBP guy so he would slot in with Blackledge, and Mark Jones would combine with Matt Millen for the primetime alternates. They could also bump up McDonough to the #3 team, as McDonough has worked with Millen in afternoon games in the past. But Jones and Millen already have been calling primetime alternates for a few years now (one for ESPN and one for ESPN2) so it would be simple logic to pair them together. As for who takes the place of Jones-Huard, maybe Pasch or Wischusen. Or even Mike Patrick, who used to call SEC primetime games just a couple of years ago.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 8, 2014

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN's response to Le Batard

quote:

"We respect and appreciate Dan’s opinions and passion about Hall of Fame voting. He received his vote while at the Miami Herald. We wouldn’t have advocated his voting approach, which we were just made aware of today."

E: And a clip from Le Batard's show. Bomani's reaction is fantastic

http://deadspin.com/dan-le-batards-producers-were-shocked-to-learn-he-gave-1497366704

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

DJExile posted:

Yeah, his call on the Ben Watson goal for Wigan's FA Cup was phenomenal but it's like the poor guy is just begging for help. He mispronounces the poo poo out of names and seems like he still has trouble adapting to the pace of a soccer game as opposed to football or basketball (where he's clearly more comfortable).

He's definitely got potential but he really needs some help.

E: Gus's color guy in that clip just kills me every time, giggling at what was probably his first Gusgasm he got to experience live.

Gus will do his damndest to make every game an epic. I like listening to him, on occasion, but it is becoming obvious that he just doesn't translate well to soccer. But, I don't know if Fox will pull the plug when he's got 4 more years to prepare. If Fox was broadcasting the 2014 World Cup, there is no question that they would dump Gus in favor of Martin Tyler though.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
I haven't listened to Gus Johnson call a soccer game but I can't imagine he's worse at that than calling MMA.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The problem with Gus Johnson calling soccer is that FOX basically went up to him one day and said, "Hey, we know you've never done soccer before except for like two San Jose Earthquakes games, so you're our #1 soccer play-by-play guy now. Also that's in addition to all the other stuff you're doing for us."

So, you've got him doing a sport he's not terribly familiar with and he's not getting any extra time to familiarize himself with it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

The problem with Gus Johnson calling soccer is that FOX basically went up to him one day and said, "Hey, we know you've never done soccer before except for like two San Jose Earthquakes games, so you're our #1 soccer play-by-play guy now. Also that's in addition to all the other stuff you're doing for us."

So, you've got him doing a sport he's not terribly familiar with and he's not getting any extra time to familiarize himself with it.

This is his extra time. They don't give a poo poo about right now. They care about him being ready for the 2018 World Cup, which is why he's doing all of this poo poo now.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah, plus they threw him right into calling goddamn Premier League matches if memory serves. That's like taking a guy who has never called basketball before and throwing him right into calling the Final Four or something.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

NBC added another piece to its 2015-2024 NASCAR team today, and it continues to look like they're throwing poo poo against a wall to see what sticks.

Here's what's been put together so far:

Play-by-play: Rick Allen. Been PBP for Speed/FS1's Truck series coverage since 2003. Also did a handful of events when FOX needed a B-team during the 2001-2006 TV deal. He does a good job despite being a little overly excitable and feeling the need to count the laps remaining down, but it's already an abomination and a crime that Allen Bestwick did not get this gig.

Color (driver): Jeff Burton. No TV experience save for a few IROC races for ESPN in the early 2000s, but he's well-spoken and "The Mayor of NASCAR". Had a decent driving career, but nothing overly spectacular. He'll probably do alright.

Announced today is their color guy who was once a crew chief: Former Jeff Gordon and current Dale Earnhardt, Jr. crew chief Steve Letarte. Letarte won several races with Gordon in the late 2000s and should've won the championship in 2007 (gently caress the Chase). Also ended Junyer's four-year winless streak at Michigan in 2012. As a crew chief, though, he's quite prone to gently caress-ups, including costing Gordon the race at Las Vegas in 2010 by taking two tires when four was the obvious call on the final pit stop.

So yeah, this race fan isn't overly excited and I'm hoping the rest of this doesn't suck.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is his extra time. They don't give a poo poo about right now. They care about him being ready for the 2018 World Cup, which is why he's doing all of this poo poo now.

He is a loving disaster at boxing though

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Actually proclaiming Seth Petruzelli as the new Rocky after beating a terrible Kimbo Slice was the greatest call in fighting history.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i don't think gus was the problem in MMA. the problem was that he was (by and large) calling lovely, irrelevant matches. he's always been good for big moments so he'll be fine for big games/matches in soccer/mma once he gets used to them

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He genuinely had no idea what he was talking about when it came to technical stuff, but that's not really what he was there for, he was there to get excited when exciting poo poo happened. And the pushing Kimbo Slice as a superstar thing was on CBS, not him. That was the guy they were building everything around, so of course the voice of the company is going to pump him up.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I would rather listen to Gus Johnson call 10 fights than Mauro Renallo call 1. Mauro is an insufferable piece of poo poo.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Ahhhh Kimbo Slice. There's a thing I bet a lot of people wish they never took a flyer on.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Is this the thread to say just how much I hate Fox and that I'll actually not watch sports I'm interested in if Fox is covering them

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

go3 posted:

Is this the thread to say just how much I hate Fox and that I'll actually not watch sports I'm interested in if Fox is covering them

NASCAR?

Yeah they really had something terrific going on them up until around 04. Even the acquisition of SPEEDVISION was a good move at the time. I was actually a legitimate big fan of seeing them show the sport at the time.

It seemed they started listening to really dumb Marketing execs that seemed to go "HEY, REDNECKS AND PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BE LIKE REDNECKS LIKE NASCAR, LET'S CATER TOWARDS THEM". Soon you saw the broadcast devolve into Digger, the "boogity, boogity, boogity" stuff, and cramming Dierks Bentley into every broadcast. Stuff I never saw prior to that, and frankly never want to see ever again.

I think the problem with the NFL broadcast was when Madden and Summerall retired.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

FuzzySkinner posted:

NASCAR?

Yeah they really had something terrific going on them up until around 04. Even the acquisition of SPEEDVISION was a good move at the time. I was actually a legitimate big fan of seeing them show the sport at the time.

It seemed they started listening to really dumb Marketing execs that seemed to go "HEY, REDNECKS AND PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BE LIKE REDNECKS LIKE NASCAR, LET'S CATER TOWARDS THEM". Soon you saw the broadcast devolve into Digger, the "boogity, boogity, boogity" stuff, and cramming Dierks Bentley into every broadcast. Stuff I never saw prior to that, and frankly never want to see ever again.

I think the problem with the NFL broadcast was when Madden and Summerall retired.

Fox's seemingly massive committee of overthinking marketing execs ruins everything they do.

David Hill is a monster.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 12, 2014

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

Baseball is serious business.

AsInHowe posted:

Fox's seemingly massive committee of overthinking marketing execs ruins everything they do.

David Hill is a monster.

All I can think of is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oMTmtN7lHI

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

As someone who doesn't watch Family Guy or most anything on TV other than sports, all I can think of is all of those named shows that were hyped beyond belief on MLB playoff telecasts in the last decade.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

This is from one of the authors of the ESPN book. How cryptic

James Andrew Miller ‏@ESPNBook 30m
"There's a battle outside And it is ragin' It'll soon shake your windows And rattle your walls For the times they are a-changin'." #ESPN

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

AsInHowe posted:

As someone who doesn't watch Family Guy or most anything on TV other than sports, all I can think of is all of those named shows that were hyped beyond belief on MLB playoff telecasts in the last decade.

I don't think anything will reach the overhyping of "Skin" from 2003.

HIS FATHER IS THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I liked Wonderfalls and Andy Richter Controls the Universe :smith:

RalphTheWonderLlama
Jan 23, 2006

Baseball is serious business.
I always know the Firefly namedrop is coming and it still makes me sad.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also the one Fox show I remember that got the poo poo hyped out of it during the World Series was House, though I seem to recall that one being mildly successful.

"You're risking a patient's life!!!!"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Nothing is worse than FrankTV.

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX347nrc5IE

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

I am a major capitalist but I'm so tired of cross-promotion and branding because it feels so forced. If it was subtle, it would be magnificent and I would celebrate it. But no I'll be home visiting family and they'll be watching the NASCAR because they turned into hillbillies after I moved away and I loving swear I will stab a dog the next time I hear that gibbering redneck say "SUNOCO RACING FUEL" or whatever instead of...you know...gas. Like a sane person would be allowed to say.

Not literally stab a dog. Figuratively.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tim Brando is leaving CBS. This is notable for two reasons: 1) He's terrible, so yay 2) He had a huge role in CBS Sports, being one of the primary anchors for SEC football and March Madness, as well as calling games during the NCAA Tournament.

CBS also has no backup plan now if Verne's heart ever explodes, which isn't unrealistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Quest For Glory II posted:

CBS also has no backup plan now if Verne's heart ever explodes, which isn't unrealistic.

They have a bunch of NFL guys they could switch over if they really needed to.