Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I randomly rewatched the episode Shirley gives birth on TV. Wow... I completely forgot how hilarious this show used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starz
Sep 7, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So there is a clear Chevy replacement in Banks. Is there a known "troy replacement" yet?

I felt like Britta saying that Asian-Americans were underrepresented at the end of episode 2 seemed like foreshadowing.

Also, the Dean's french Excel song got me. It was very "Dean-y" to me in a way I had missed.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Starz posted:

Also, the Dean's french Excel song got me. It was very "Dean-y" to me in a way I had missed.

That's one thing this season has completely downplayed. The Dean being crazy. Dan Harmon gets you can either have him say completely ridiculous things, or wear crazy things- but never both.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CaptainHollywood posted:

That's one thing this season has completely downplayed. The Dean being crazy. Dan Harmon gets you can either have him say completely ridiculous things, or wear crazy things- but never both.

Dan Harmon made an entire episode inspired by Heart of Darkness with the Dean as the central figure; I don't think he gets character restraint as much as you think he does.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Starz posted:

I felt like Britta saying that Asian-Americans were underrepresented at the end of episode 2 seemed like foreshadowing.

Changnesia -> Changfluenza

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Dan Harmon made an entire episode inspired by Heart of Darkness with the Dean as the central figure; I don't think he gets character restraint as much as you think he does.

To be fair that was a Dean-centric plot and not some groan worthy moment.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
If they want to replace Troy with anybody, they should find a way to bring in Britanick. They already worked with Daniel Pudi and it was pretty awesome. Also, their style would be perfect for Community.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

That's different though because the entire plot of the episode was about him getting surrounded by yes men and growing an inflated ego, and all his eccentricities in that episode were called out and mostly undone by the end of it.

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.
I caught the S4 puppet episode on a rerun the other night and although I wanted to like it so much it's just so... awful and boring. Even more so than I remembered.

Season 5 so far is a breath of fresh air and "I'm a Cawt- a Sexy Cawt" is fast becoming a hallowed reference among my friends who follow Community.

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

Death By The Blues posted:

If they want to replace Troy with anybody, they should find a way to bring in Britanick. They already worked with Daniel Pudi and it was pretty awesome. Also, their style would be perfect for Community.

I love this idea.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They could always replace him with somebody like Neil, or Vicky.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Or they can seek out and somehow fill the Hispanic void in the group.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

ETB posted:

Leonard Rodriguez!

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Death By The Blues posted:

I want them to being back Vaughn and his tiny nipples.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually surprised how many people found the Abed Cage freakout funny. It was one of the only gags to me that felt like they were trying way too hard, and made me wonder why exactly they'd wanted to do that episode for so long in the first place, if it was just gonna boil down to another "Abed goes crazy" bit.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Qu Appelle posted:

I want them to being back Vaughn and his tiny nipples.

Seriously, they need to bring back Vaughn and Professor Whitman if there's a sixth season.

Bown posted:

I'm actually surprised how many people found the Abed Cage freakout funny. It was one of the only gags to me that felt like they were trying way too hard, and made me wonder why exactly they'd wanted to do that episode for so long in the first place, if it was just gonna boil down to another "Abed goes crazy" bit.

While I thought that part was amazing, it's kind of funny that Abed has another psychotic break right after they point out and make fun of how often that's happened over the show's run.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Bown posted:

I didn't like this at first but watched the episode a second time and laughed really loving hard.

It did require suspension of belief that Abed would even question Cage's brilliance though, but hey it's television.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah the whole episode I was thinking "man abed should know better than this" Cage is unquestionably great.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

TheRationalRedditor posted:

What happened? My DVR cut off when easychair-Troy started to move.

You know it's on Hulu right?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Bown posted:

Yeah the whole episode I was thinking "man abed should know better than this" Cage is unquestionably great.

Community is like Nicolas Cage. Either you love the Cage or you're wrong.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Bown posted:

Yes, but is the the terrible kind of great?!

I really loved his first Cageburst in the apartment, it reminded me of Pinocchio turning into an rear end.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ETB posted:

Senior Chang already fills that spot. Way to Britta racial quotas, ETB.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Just asked Dan and you guys were right, the VO was NOT newly recorded. My bad.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CaptainHollywood posted:

I feel like every writers session of Season 4 started with "So what's the dean wearing this episode?" Never have I seen a gimmick run so horribly into the ground.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Volume posted:

I feel like every writers session of Season 4 started with "So what's the dean wearing this episode?" Never have I seen a gimmick run so horribly into the ground.

To be fair, that had already begun in season 3. And I was already sick of it by the end of that season.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Volume posted:

I like Jim Rash's Dean, but I hate how he's been used since season 2. It was a mistake to try and make him an unofficial member of the study group.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
That was one of the biggest problems i had with season 3; several of the characters and a lot of the running jokes (new and old) just became tired gimmicks that were quickly run into the ground.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Sakarja posted:

That was one of the biggest problems i had with season 3; several of the characters and a lot of the running jokes (new and old) just became tired gimmicks that were quickly run into the ground.

Yeah. I skipped season 4, but I'm hoping it acted as a warning to the current writers to reverse that trend.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Lord Krangdar posted:

Yeah. I skipped season 4, but I'm hoping it acted as a warning to the current writers to reverse that trend.

I don't know, the Dean used the word "dean" like a dozen times in thirty second speech.

And they've pretty much confirmed the season four bit with him being in love with Jeff. (and not in a covert way).

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Davros1 posted:

I don't know, the Dean used the word "dean" like a dozen times in thirty second speech.

And they've pretty much confirmed the season four bit with him being in love with Jeff. (and not in a covert way).

The Dean loving fainted from seeing Jeff in aviators, it's never been a covert thing.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Oh Snapple! posted:

The Dean loving fainted from seeing Jeff in aviators, it's never been a covert thing.

His swagger did get a new swagger. And he somehow became friends with Leonard.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

PriorMarcus posted:

Just asked Dan and you guys were right, the VO was NOT newly recorded. My bad.

If it was from Season 9 of Scrubs like some people have posted, does that mean they had to buy it from ABC? Awkward...

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Lord Krangdar posted:

To be fair, that had already begun in season 3. And I was already sick of it by the end of that season.

Season 3 recognized the repetition and knew to make fun of it.

"I have to go to the bank today :smith:"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

While we're on the subject of new study group members, why is Fat Neil always everyone's go to goon of choice?

It's all about Team Garett

Dude's a legit sperglord you can tell

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Garrett is who we are. Fat Neil is who we aspire to.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Nevvy Z posted:

Garrett is who we are. Fat Neil is who we aspire to.

No, no, no, no, no!. This is forever. This is who we are now.

When this show ends I vote the thread goes the Seinfeld route and just becomes pages and pages of people riffing quotes off each other.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Alan Smithee posted:

While we're on the subject of new study group members, why is Fat Neil always everyone's go to goon of choice?

Crisis Alert! Will forever make me laugh.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Alan Smithee posted:

Its like God spilled a person

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Does everybody have a Community episode airing between Leno and Fallon tonight, or is this just a weird local thing?

Edit: Nope, weird local thing

General Dog fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Its like God spilled a person

But... We saved him.

• Locked thread