Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enthe0s
Oct 24, 2010

In another few hours, the sun will rise!

venutolo posted:

Go to One Eared Stag.

I'm prolly going tomorrow. Do you know if there is usually a long wait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

enthe0s posted:

I'm prolly going tomorrow. Do you know if there is usually a long wait?

In my experience, it is never busy, but I always sit at the bar and typically eat before whatever the fashionable dinner time is.

Atlanta Magazine named the top "under-the-radar" restaurant and said "its dining room crowds remain disappointingly thin."

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Hello there thread. I just moved to East Atlanta Village a couple months ago and have been trying out the local restaurants. Highly recommend anything from Delia's Chicken Sausage on Moreland, the braised bacon tacos from Holy Taco and the Chicken Crack Empanadas from Tomatillos (both on Glenwood).

RIP Dante's Down The Hatch :(

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
To continue the wait for a while for a reservation thing from last week....

I went to a top-notch steakhouse (Killen's Steakhouse, outside of Houston) tonight for my birthday. We had a reservation for 7pm and showed up then, but there was no free table. We waited 20 minutes, and they offered us drinks. The waiter apologized a few times for the wait, as did the manager. At the end of the meal, the manager came by to say the wine and appetizers were on them (1 glass of wine, 2 appetizers). While waiting sucked, I think they handled it well and I left happy.

For what it is worth, it was likely the best steak I've had. I want to visit Rathbun's to compare while this one is fresh in my mind.

Anyway, it has been another good year discussing Atlanta food with you all, and then occasionally meeting up for a group thing. Thanks to all.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
happy (belated) birthday!

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Going to Miller's Union for the first time tomorrow for dinner for my wife's birthday. Anything special we should order?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

AgentHaiTo posted:

Going to Miller's Union for the first time tomorrow for dinner for my wife's birthday. Anything special we should order?

Guess it's a little late for this, but their pastries are great, so don't skip dessert. I also had their homemade pork sausage and it was excellent. Only been once (stopped for dinner before seeing the Dad's Garage Invasion Christmas Carol at Fabrefaction a few weeks ago), so I haven't had anything else there, though.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I've posted this before, so sorry but -

does anyone know a place that does birria (mexican style goat) in atlanta?

I'd also settle for a good chivo taco. been looking, and just can't find anything. :(

edit : if you're ever in chicago, go. here. it. is. amazing. http://www.yelp.com/biz/birrieria-zaragoza-chicago

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

mindphlux posted:

I've posted this before, so sorry but -

does anyone know a place that does birria (mexican style goat) in atlanta?

I'd also settle for a good chivo taco. been looking, and just can't find anything. :(

edit : if you're ever in chicago, go. here. it. is. amazing. http://www.yelp.com/biz/birrieria-zaragoza-chicago

Bone Garden Cantina does a goat taco that was good. I used to work next door and ate there often.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.

dennyk posted:

Guess it's a little late for this, but their pastries are great, so don't skip dessert. I also had their homemade pork sausage and it was excellent. Only been once (stopped for dinner before seeing the Dad's Garage Invasion Christmas Carol at Fabrefaction a few weeks ago), so I haven't had anything else there, though.

I had the ribeye steak and my wife had the pork chop. The steak was great and cooked perfectly, but the pork chop was the big hit. It was a double bone cut and they cooked it medium rare, which I've never had with pork. It was on a bed of beans and rice with some kind of tomato relish. drat, that was good. It's been a day, and just typing that up made my mouth water. The waiter said it was new on the menu and the chef's mom's recipe. Also, the waiter was really great and recommended a French champagne for my wife, and some Belgian beer, something Tank. Both were really great, and I'm glad we took his recommendations.

For dessert she had the chocolate mouse/cake and I had the apple tart. Both were delicious and went well with their coffee. I can't believe it's taken us this long to eat there since we live 10 minutes away. Definitely will be going there again on a another special occasion.

Senior Funkenstien
Apr 16, 2003
Dinosaur Gum
drat you guys. Making me have to drive up north to get some good ramen and Indian.

For anyone thats been to Umaido, whats the wait like at lunch?

Senior Funkenstien fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 30, 2013

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

Senior Funkenstien posted:

drat you guys. Making me have to drive up north to get some good ramen and Indian.

For anyone thats been to Umaido, whats the wait like at lunch?

I've been going for a couple years now and have never had a wait.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Speaking of ramen, Guy Wong is gonna be serving some on Sundays for the next three months at Grant Park Octane.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
I'm going on a first date this Friday and need a restaurant for dinner > place to get drinks afterward somewhere in North Atlanta. Ideally, somewhere around Sandy Springs / Perimeter. I know next to nothing about that area other than the Fred Bar. Halp.

Edit: Actually, really anywhere north of 20 is fine. Sandy Springs area would be optimal though.

AHugeDickhead fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 9, 2014

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again

RHIN0002 posted:

I'm going on a first date this Friday and need a restaurant for dinner > place to get drinks afterward somewhere in North Atlanta. Ideally, somewhere around Sandy Springs / Perimeter. I know next to nothing about that area other than the Fred Bar. Halp.

Edit: Actually, really anywhere north of 20 is fine. Sandy Springs area would be optimal though.

Sandy Springs: http://ciboatlanta.com/

It's happening, but not too loud. Food and drinks are excellent for the area. Sandy Springs is mostly full of pricey brass rail chain restaurants and Persian places. For drinks afterwards, there's an Intermezzo Cafe across from Perimeter Mall in Park Place.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

Landrobot posted:

Sandy Springs: http://ciboatlanta.com/

It's happening, but not too loud. Food and drinks are excellent for the area. Sandy Springs is mostly full of pricey brass rail chain restaurants and Persian places. For drinks afterwards, there's an Intermezzo Cafe across from Perimeter Mall in Park Place.

Thanks! Reservation is booked. I'll provide a trip report if I can remember.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Ryan Hidinger died. :(

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Go to Iberian Pig in Decatur square. Seriously, do it. Every single morsel (bacon dates, cheek tacos, lamb ribs, goat carbonara) they brought me was astoundingly delicious. How delicious? There's a menu option to buy the kitchen a round. "That's awfully pretentious," I thought. Then I ate the food and bought the kitchen a round.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Went to Pho Bac last night and am now craving more. Any good Vietnamese/pho recommendations?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

confonnit posted:

Went to Pho Bac last night and am now craving more. Any good Vietnamese/pho recommendations?

I actually really like Pho 24. Its not super fancy or anything, but its delicious and cheap and always open. The best thing on the menu in my opinion is the Filet Mignon Fried Rice. Its ~$10 for a large chunk of most delicious meat and a giant plate of everything else you could possibly ask for.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Rationale posted:

Go to Iberian Pig in Decatur square. Seriously, do it. Every single morsel (bacon dates, cheek tacos, lamb ribs, goat carbonara) they brought me was astoundingly delicious. How delicious? There's a menu option to buy the kitchen a round. "That's awfully pretentious," I thought. Then I ate the food and bought the kitchen a round.

Yes, this. I haven't had tapas even remotely close to Iberian Pig tapas since I left Atlanta.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Going to hit up Kimball House tonight for my birthday. Anyone got any recommendations?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
lol >_<;;

http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2014/01/03/west-midtown-dim-sum-spot-yum-bunz-has-closed.php

I only got food from there once, and it was mediocre, at best.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007

mindphlux posted:

lol >_<;;

http://atlanta.eater.com/archives/2014/01/03/west-midtown-dim-sum-spot-yum-bunz-has-closed.php

That was every reaction from every review I read about the place.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum

confonnit posted:

For banh mi, I think Quoc Huong is the best. If I want pho, I'll most often go to Pho Dai Loi. If I want non-pho/non-banh mi Vietnamese, I'll go to Nam Phuong or Quan Ba 9.

These may be worth reading:
http://www.chowdownatlanta.com/atlanta-pho-tour/
http://www.chowdownatlanta.com/the-atlanta-banh-mi-guide/

mindphlux posted:

lol >_<;;

That place was doomed from the start. They had a "coming soon" sign up for ridiculously long time and they had a very large space in what I assume is not a cheap area. I suspect they were hemorrhaging money on rent for a long time before they even opened and put themselves in a really big hole. I remember being shocked at how large the space was and how I thought it was absurdly over-ambitious, and they'd never be busy enough to make it work financially.

I ate there probably a half-dozen times, and it was never good. The first time I went to try it, but every subsequent time it was a last resort. It was the kind of place I'd go to on the weekend when I felt it was too late to get seated at a good restaurant without a wait and I just wanted to get some food quickly. Each time I ate there I was reminded how much better that sort of food could be.

confonnit
Sep 28, 2001

Awesome thanks for the recommendations guys.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
I won't mention where, but I ate dinner tonight at a restaurant where a manager, a bartender, and a waiter very obviously organized together to get some marijuana delivered. The service industry is funny.

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009
Kimball House was pretty loving good! Their drink service was nothing sort of amazing, every single drink was top notch. Highly recommend the pecan old fashioned and the Death + Company. Had the three course steak meal, which was great, expect the steak was cooked more than I would have liked (they didn't ask how I wanted it, so I probably should have specified). Definitely recommend!

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

venutolo posted:

That place was doomed from the start. They had a "coming soon" sign up for ridiculously long time and they had a very large space in what I assume is not a cheap area. I suspect they were hemorrhaging money on rent for a long time before they even opened and put themselves in a really big hole. I remember being shocked at how large the space was and how I thought it was absurdly over-ambitious, and they'd never be busy enough to make it work financially.

I ate there probably a half-dozen times, and it was never good. The first time I went to try it, but every subsequent time it was a last resort. It was the kind of place I'd go to on the weekend when I felt it was too late to get seated at a good restaurant without a wait and I just wanted to get some food quickly. Each time I ate there I was reminded how much better that sort of food could be.

I went there twice and it was just bad. The first time I had the bbq buns, and I kept wondering why the meat was ground to a paste(And I just read in that link above that they used frozen buns, which explains that). Anyone the least bit familiar with chinese bbq buns would hate these, and anyone new to them, would not be impressed. At least get the food that is the name of your restaurant correct.
I have to admit, I am really picky about steamed buns, because I've been going to dim sum on Buford Highway to places like Canton House and Royal China for years since I was a kid. I live and work near Yum Bunz though, so I had high hopes.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

AgentHaiTo posted:

I went there twice and it was just bad. The first time I had the bbq buns, and I kept wondering why the meat was ground to a paste(And I just read in that link above that they used frozen buns, which explains that). Anyone the least bit familiar with chinese bbq buns would hate these, and anyone new to them, would not be impressed. At least get the food that is the name of your restaurant correct.
I have to admit, I am really picky about steamed buns, because I've been going to dim sum on Buford Highway to places like Canton House and Royal China for years since I was a kid. I live and work near Yum Bunz though, so I had high hopes.

They must have been renting that space for 18 months before opening -- although I wouldn't be surprised if the building management gave them some leeway since they haven't been able to lease out any of those storefronts for 5 years. All the lease rates are obscene along that stretch of Howell Mill/Marietta and it's a shame. It puts places like that Italian market (who had great sandwiches at lunch) out of business, and leaves most of the stores vacant nearly all the time. Octane's been there, what, a decade, but the only other things able to survive are overrated crap like Optimist and (slightly less overrated but still forgettable) Bocado that are just magnets for car-bound wealthy suckers that aren't going to walk around the area and keep smaller shops afloat.

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, gently caress people with cars.

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

Breakfast All Day posted:

They must have been renting that space for 18 months before opening -- although I wouldn't be surprised if the building management gave them some leeway since they haven't been able to lease out any of those storefronts for 5 years. All the lease rates are obscene along that stretch of Howell Mill/Marietta and it's a shame. It puts places like that Italian market (who had great sandwiches at lunch) out of business, and leaves most of the stores vacant nearly all the time. Octane's been there, what, a decade, but the only other things able to survive are overrated crap like Optimist and (slightly less overrated but still forgettable) Bocado that are just magnets for car-bound wealthy suckers that aren't going to walk around the area and keep smaller shops afloat.

This place? http://www.toscanoandsons.com/

They moved to the Highlands now, which has to be fairly pricey, as well.

WaterIsPoison posted:

Kimball House was pretty loving good! Their drink service was nothing sort of amazing, every single drink was top notch. Highly recommend the pecan old fashioned and the Death + Company. Had the three course steak meal, which was great, expect the steak was cooked more than I would have liked (they didn't ask how I wanted it, so I probably should have specified). Definitely recommend!

I really enjoy Kimball House. It's a great place for drinks and everyone there is super nice.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

venutolo posted:

Yeah, gently caress people with cars.

I don't mean it that way, I just mean those places draw people who valet in and valet out and aren't going to walk next door after dinner for drinks/entertainment/shopping unless you cordon everything into a little theme park like Atlantic Station or White Provision.

jooky posted:

This place? http://www.toscanoandsons.com/

They moved to the Highlands now, which has to be fairly pricey, as well.

Yeah, before they left westside one of the staff said the lease was too pricey and driving them away.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

AgentHaiTo posted:

This reminds me; does anybody know what the name of a thing I had while in Shanghai might be? It was a bit like donuts, but the consistency was similar to bun dough. Half of them were fried, the other half seemed to be steamed. It was served with a thin sugar syrup to be drizzled over it. Like most of the food I had there it was good as hell and it would be nice to find a place here that makes something like it.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Zenzirouj posted:

This reminds me; does anybody know what the name of a thing I had while in Shanghai might be? It was a bit like donuts, but the consistency was similar to bun dough. Half of them were fried, the other half seemed to be steamed. It was served with a thin sugar syrup to be drizzled over it. Like most of the food I had there it was good as hell and it would be nice to find a place here that makes something like it.

Is it this? It's not steamed though, and it's usually served with congee.

In other news, Umezono on Cobb Parkway has changed owners. The new owners used to own I Love Sushi in Conyers. Neither place was my favorite sushi place, but if you haven't gone to Umezono in awhile, it might be a good idea to try it again. I had stopped going to Umezono years ago, because the management was a little odd in how they handled their customers. They had this sort of old diner mentality where the waitresses seemed more annoyed with customers than anything. I guess it comes from being a restaurant for almost 15+ years and not changing very much.

Also, the new owner/sushi chef is very liberal with his wasabi so if you don't like too much wasabi, ask them to not apply it.

Max PL
Apr 1, 2012

Zenzirouj posted:

You probably had steamed and fried man tou with condensed milk or something really similar to condensed milk.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

AgentHaiTo posted:

In other news, Umezono on Cobb Parkway has changed owners. The new owners used to own I Love Sushi in Conyers. Neither place was my favorite sushi place, but if you haven't gone to Umezono in awhile, it might be a good idea to try it again. I had stopped going to Umezono years ago, because the management was a little odd in how they handled their customers. They had this sort of old diner mentality where the waitresses seemed more annoyed with customers than anything. I guess it comes from being a restaurant for almost 15+ years and not changing very much.

Also, the new owner/sushi chef is very liberal with his wasabi so if you don't like too much wasabi, ask them to not apply it.
The texture doesn't seem quite right on that picture; it looks too airy.

I actually was at Umezono 2 or 3 Saturdays ago. It seems more or less like it did when I and some friends frequented it between 5 and 10 years ago. The menu was identical, the table layout and everything else was the same, and the food I got seemed the same as ever. But, our waitress said that there would be a 40+ minute wait on any sushi orders because they were understaffed at the bar. She was also the stereotypical Umezono waitress that I've heard people talk about but I can never remember encountering despite going there a bunch of times. The place was only about 70% full, so it's not like they should have been slammed. Dunno if all that is an ongoing problem or a one-night thing.

Max PL posted:

You probably had steamed and fried man tou with condensed milk or something really similar to condensed milk.
I'm pretty sure this is it! Ours was shaped a little differently from the photos I've found but it otherwise looks identical.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

AgentHaiTo posted:

Huh, my wife and I went there the Friday after Christmas and I remarked at how good the chirashizushi was this time around. Since Yakitori Jinbei went down the shitter with their new owners, Umezono should really try to step up their game a bit.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
What's the word on Fritti? Down here in these parts, the end-all word on pizza of that style is Antico---but their little segment on Atlanta Eats from this past weekend makes it seem like this would also be a place worth checking out in a perhaps less frantic and/or costly environ compared to stories I've heard on Antico?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
I had a really good pizza at Fritti last time I was there (the Robiola e Pesto, I think). Probably the best Neopolitan-style pizza I've had around here, though I haven't tried Antico. Most of their seating is in their big covered front patio, and it was reasonably quiet when I was there (early Saturday evening). Their pizzas run about $12-$15; my brother and I somehow polished off one each, but it made for a fairly big meal. I would definitely go back.

Don't know about parking now, though, since when I was in that area I was always parking at Dad's Garage for a show and grabbing dinner first (yeah I'm a OTP car-haver, deal with it :colbert: ). There used to be some valet parking across Elizabeth, but I think that whole block's been bulldozed, so I have no idea where there's public parking around there now, except a few spots on the street.