Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

SymfonyMan posted:

Same here. Out of the last season I think only the Dirty Randy and Rafi episode was solid. The rest were pretty meh with some good moments.

I thought it kept getting better through season 3 and parts of 4, season 5 was pretty average. Almost like they are trying too hard now to come up with the next catchphrase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bankok posted:

...Almost like they are trying too hard now to come up with the next catchphrase.

Yeah, I think they've reached the caricature of their selves moment in sitcom writing already. I'm half surprised that they don't mug at the camera next time they say a new word, "Hey guys, she had me locked in the TUNA CLAMPS!:smuggo:"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw Jenny interview on a talk show and she was talking about vinegar strokes and vaginal hubris. They really try to sell it hard.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

@midnight. Really refreshing take on the internet/pop culture shows and doesn't quickly get stale like I find most of those.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
As for Freaks and Geeks, one of the main reasons for its brilliance is how it sets up all this stereotypical stuff in the first half of the seasons and then spends the second half subverting it. So many of the one-note stereotype characters end up being really layered.

der_rudi
Dec 26, 2012
So Homeland. I really enjoyed S1, didn't really enjoy S2, and after three episodes of S3 I just stopped watching since it seemed to be getting even worse than S2. Did it get any better, and is it worth watching the rest of the season?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I'd agree on The League. If you're not feeling seasons 1 and 2 really then don't bother to keep watching. Nothing in particular against the later seasons but it's not a show that really changes in feel or has a drastic change in quality.

Freaks and Geeks is really really good though. I think it does such a good job capturing the place and time but the characters also are just extremely good. You get to really like those guys.

VagueRant posted:

Um, why is this? Because I definitely had the show going in the background. (While sailing around and stabbing dudes in Assassin's Creed IV)
I'm not sure how you're ever really gonna love any show if they're just background noise while you're doing something else though.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

der_rudi posted:

So Homeland. I really enjoyed S1, didn't really enjoy S2, and after three episodes of S3 I just stopped watching since it seemed to be getting even worse than S2. Did it get any better, and is it worth watching the rest of the season?
Actually yes. There is a big plot twist after the first few episodes and it's quite stellar from then on. No bullshit family subplots (only a single short dana scene). God knows what the hell they're gonna do for S4, but S3 is undoubtedly worth watching.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

OhDearGodNo posted:

Leverage. On season 5 right now.

Everytime I see the british chick I keep thinking of "pardon my tits" from Dexter.

Why would you? Because of the dark hair and the british accent?
Because that is pretty much all those two characters have in common.
(:ssh: not the same actress, if that's what you're going for)

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick
I'm finally getting around to finishing Fringe. I was watching it around this time last year when they were airing it on the Science Channel, but they axed it a couple episodes into season 3. I kept putting it off, even when they released it on Netflix, and I feared I would be completely lost if I picked it up where I left off. But no, it's all coming back, even with all the crazy alternate universe shenanigans, and I use that term positively. This show is amazing, and I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

Trig Discipline posted:

Weird, I would say it was exactly the opposite. The wife and I really liked the first few seasons, but we've found the last two to be almost completely unwatchable. It's still funny in spurts, but it's mostly become a string of monkey cheese bullshit with such painfully obvious setups that it's barely tolerable enough to watch it for those few funny bits. We're right on the edge of stopping watching it entirely.

I mean to each their own, and I'm not trying to talk you out of enjoying it, but we've just found recent seasons so bad that it's surprising to me that someone else thinks it's getting better.

Comedy is very subjective. I've found that most people can come to a consensus on which episodes/seasons of a drama are the best, but it's not the case with comedies. The League and It's Always Sunny are perfect examples. I mildly enjoyed the first season, and loved seasons 2, 3, and 4 of the League, but absolutely hated this last season. It feels to me like they rely too much on inside jokes and potty humor, and it's getting boring and old. It's interesting because Sunny does the same thing, but I feel like they make great use of inside jokes and callbacks, and it's a better show for it. That's my opinion, at least.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Exploder posted:

I'm finally getting around to finishing Fringe. I was watching it around this time last year when they were airing it on the Science Channel, but they axed it a couple episodes into season 3. I kept putting it off, even when they released it on Netflix, and I feared I would be completely lost if I picked it up where I left off. But no, it's all coming back, even with all the crazy alternate universe shenanigans, and I use that term positively. This show is amazing, and I don't know why I didn't do this sooner.

My wife and I are five episodes into Season 2 of Fringe, and we're just loving it. It reminds me of a more exciting, better-paced X-Files and an overall much better Agents of SHIELD, with actual character development and stakes and villains and danger.

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"

skooma512 posted:

I've in Season 3 of the X-Files and after a starter of really heavy episodes they gave us a treat of 2 sillier episodes.

I kind of wish they would have just made the show like that, but what would they parody? I hope they did more of them.

The X-Files has great mythology episodes, but classic comedy ones. There's 2 or 3 every season and around an equal amount of high-concept gimmick episodes. And then you sometimes end up with high-concept gimmick comedy episodes, like the all black-and-white Frankenstein monster episode. They really make the series for me and give a great reprieve from the heavier mythology episodes and some of the more procedural monster of the week episodes. Buffy and Supernatural were really good for these, too, though Supernatural at this point is almost too self-aware.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

der_rudi posted:

It got better in the sense of it went from incredibly bad to late seasons of 24 levels, but if you didn't enjoy season 2 I doubt you're going to get back into the things that make season 3 better because the twists have all of the season 2 problems and then some.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Just started Luther because the world has recently caught Idris Elba Fever and I figured I should check it out. Midway through episode 4 and loving it so far.

Weird that both this show and Sherlock had serial killing taxi drivers in their first seasons, which aired within months of each other.

Edit: oh holy gently caress episode five NO NOT THE TONGUE WHYYYYY

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 7, 2014

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My wife and I are five episodes into Season 2 of Fringe, and we're just loving it. It reminds me of a more exciting, better-paced X-Files and an overall much better Agents of SHIELD, with actual character development and stakes and villains and danger.

I like that Fringe incorporates its mythology into each episode more than the X-Files did. It's much more serialized. I would agree that Fringe is better paced and more exciting overall for this reason, but what truly made The X-Files great were the memorable monster-of-the-week episodes that had nothing to do with the mythology. Apples and oranges, but I'll reserve judgment on my favorite between the two when I finish the series. From what I hear, it has an incredible final season.

Wizardryo posted:

The X-Files has great mythology episodes, but classic comedy ones. There's 2 or 3 every season and around an equal amount of high-concept gimmick episodes. And then you sometimes end up with high-concept gimmick comedy episodes, like the all black-and-white Frankenstein monster episode. They really make the series for me and give a great reprieve from the heavier mythology episodes and some of the more procedural monster of the week episodes. Buffy and Supernatural were really good for these, too, though Supernatural at this point is almost too self-aware.

My favorite episodes were the more comedic ones. Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Clyde Bruckman, Small Potatoes, Bad Blood, and Dreamland come to mind. Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man wasn't exactly a high concept comedy episode, but there was a comedic element to CSG's backstory and how much he influenced history in the X-Files world. "What I don't want to see is the Buffalo Bills winning the Superbowl. As long as I'm alive, that doesn't happen."

Wizardryo
Jul 23, 2002

"Finally! A deep throat to call my own!"

Exploder posted:

My favorite episodes were the more comedic ones. Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Clyde Bruckman, Small Potatoes, Bad Blood, and Dreamland come to mind. Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man wasn't exactly a high concept comedy episode, but there was a comedic element to CSG's backstory and how much he influenced history in the X-Files world. "What I don't want to see is the Buffalo Bills winning the Superbowl. As long as I'm alive, that doesn't happen."

"X-COPS" is one of my favorite episodes not only because of the completely absurd premise (let's crossover the X-Files with… uhhh… COPS!), but because it was done pretty drat well. If I remember right, it was shot on the same cheap videotape film COPS uses and even had people from the actual COPS show.

"Jose Chung's From Outer Space" and "Bad Blood" are great, as well. Man. The X-Files holds up so well. And most of the show was thankfully before the big CG frenzy because episodes of more recent genre shows like Buffy get seriously dated by it. I saw "Selfless" the other day and, despite it being a brilliant episode, I was completely thrown off by the spider demon. I'm gonna have to go through some of these X-Files episodes again… well done, thread.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Wizardryo posted:

"X-COPS" is one of my favorite episodes not only because of the completely absurd premise (let's crossover the X-Files with… uhhh… COPS!), but because it was done pretty drat well. If I remember right, it was shot on the same cheap videotape film COPS uses and even had people from the actual COPS show.

It also had great background gags of Scully running back and forth in heels.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

It also had great background gags of Scully running back and forth in heels.

Oh man, I forgot about X-Cops, and I just recently watched it. Gillian Anderson showed off her comedic acting chops in that episode. The way she delivered the line "Because the FBI has nothing to hide" with a sarcastic smile on her face after the coroner asked her why the autopsy was being filmed was perfect.

I think we're in need of a new X-Files thread, seeing as how the last one is probably in the archives by now. Babylon 5, Stargate, and Lexx have active threads, so surely there is some demand for an X-Files thread. Maybe I'll whip something up tomorrow. It would just be general discussion, not a newbie or Let's Watch thread.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
There was one where everyone in it was rewatching the entire series together and posting episode summaries. I guess they just got bored of updating it and it died.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Finished Season 1 of Sherlock. As such the series is pretty okay though riddled with writing holes, and the directing isn't that great sometimes. However, having great actors in main roles elevates the material substantially. A really enjoyable series, can't wait to see more.

For what it's worth, I felt the unaired pilot episode worked better than the official first ep.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

pigdog posted:

For what it's worth, I felt the unaired pilot episode worked better than the official first ep.

Same here, the regular episode felt like they were trying to pad out the runtime rather than allow the plot to naturally progress. They did add a few things to help the other episodes but it was still weaker.

I saw the pilot first so my view point is slightly coloured.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am looking to break away from dramas to sci fi. Is Falling Skies worth going through as a Sci-Fi tv series?

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Wizardryo posted:

The episode where the Supernatural books are introduced is one of my favorites, if just for the scene where they discover "Sam-slash-Dean" shippers. And of course, the Groundhog Day episode.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Is Falling Skies worth going through as a Sci-Fi tv series?

Nope.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Someone recommended Ripper Street to me and I enjoyed it. Tom from Spooks and Bronn from Game of Thrones investigate crimes using science and Bronn's fists in 1889 London's Whitechapel district right after the Ripper murders stopped.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I really enjoyed Chicago Code. I forget if someone recommended it to me or if I just saw it had Jennifer Beals in it and liked the first episode.

It is only one season of 12 episodes and had a very tight, contained story arc between good cops and bad politicians and them trying to take each other down legally. There wasn't a whole lot of crime solving procedural work done, like in one of the many CSI-esque shows, but it was instead pretty heavily character focused - and I thought they were really strong characters.

I liked how they showed corruption and the impacts of it, and even the villain had some pretty solid personal qualities and decent justifications for the villainous shenanigans.

I enjoyed the fact that there was a strong female lead who really never resorted to 'being sexy' in order to exercise her powers as head of police, she relied on her competency and drive.

Good stuff. Sorry if the recommendation's so short, but whattyagonnado?

I am looking to break away from dramas to sci fi. Is Falling Skies worth going through as a Sci-Fi tv series?

It was mentioned on this page, but Fringe is really good. And especially so is Orphan Black, if you want even less high science sci fi.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 7, 2014

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

What sci-fi shows have you seen and enjoyed? There hasn't been much in the way of good sci-fi made in the last two decades. Fringe and Battlestar Galactica are both pretty serious scifi dramas, if you want something more light-hearted you might check out Stargate SG-1 or Atlantis. Farscape gets my dark horse vote, the characters in particular are fantastic and it's a (crazy) fun show. Also very low-budget (Jim Henson puppet aliens wheee) and definitely kinda weird, I once heard it described along the lines of "Farscape is on the good acid, Lexx took the bad stuff." I, uh, can't recommend Lexx, though it's certainly an experience.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I agree that Stargate, BSG and Farscape are all pretty good. Lexx is a show I watched and somehow got hooked on, but at the same time i don't think I can recommend it, either. It's got I think technically 4 seasons, but the 'first season' is just the TV movies, if I recall. I tried to get through those but absolutely couldn't, so I started on season 2. I think the series recaps events from those movies whenever the plot calls for it, so I don't think I missed anything by skipping them.

At the same time I found the season 3 Fire and Water arc to be really engaging for some reason and the surprise development of the season 2 Matrid story that I first took as a joke was way more than I expected the show to give me.

What about Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles? 2 Seasons, after an early rough patch I thought the series actually got a lot better once Derek and Cromartie 2.0 appear. The second season suffers a bit about 1/2 way through, but picks up quite a bit in the final few episodes. I actually liked how the show introduced a lot of new mythos to the franchise, too, without it feeling unnatural.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

What sci-fi shows have you seen and enjoyed? There hasn't been much in the way of good sci-fi made in the last two decades. Fringe and Battlestar Galactica are both pretty serious scifi dramas, if you want something more light-hearted you might check out Stargate SG-1 or Atlantis. Farscape gets my dark horse vote, the characters in particular are fantastic and it's a (crazy) fun show. Also very low-budget (Jim Henson puppet aliens wheee) and definitely kinda weird, I once heard it described along the lines of "Farscape is on the good acid, Lexx took the bad stuff." I, uh, can't recommend Lexx, though it's certainly an experience.

I have watched Fringe, X-Files and Firefly. I never watched Battlestar and I just saw that it is on Netflix so Battlestar it is!

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

How far into Walking Dead should I go before I decide the show is now for me? Having heard so many people talk about loving it I want to give it a chance but 3 eps in I'm kind of :shrug:

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
It doesn't really get any better. Maybe hang in there until the end of the first season, it's only 6 episodes total.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
The only real reason to watch The Walking Dead is if you really like seeing gory zombie effects. The actual story and characters are pretty terrible.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sweet_jones posted:

How far into Walking Dead should I go before I decide the show is now for me? Having heard so many people talk about loving it I want to give it a chance but 3 eps in I'm kind of :shrug:

Instead of Walking Dead try Pushing Daisies. A much better show about people coming back from the dead.

:V

(but seriously, it's just better)

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've been watching X-Files. I've seen Fringe so I figured I might as well watch the inspiration. I'm 21 episodes into it and Scully finally, finally believes that there are alien/government conspiracies. gently caress you Scully you skeptical dingbat.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!
I only have two episodes left Walking Dead season 4. I realized it's big problem. They have to stretch about 2-3 hours of storytelling over 8+ hours. AMC should have really made it "Event Television" by having TWO 2-Hour episodes of Walking Dead a year. One in the Spring. One in the fall.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

LooseChanj posted:

Star Trek TOS, now working my way through the disco-tastic animated series. I don't care if it's not cannon. :c00lbert:

Remember do not take any mind altering substances when watching TAS. It does it for you.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

pigdog posted:

Finished Season 1 of Sherlock. As such the series is pretty okay though riddled with writing holes, and the directing isn't that great sometimes. However, having great actors in main roles elevates the material substantially. A really enjoyable series, can't wait to see more.

Yeah, I guess if you want to enjoy Sherlock you have to accept that the plot will have some holes here and there.
I would never watch it if it wasn't for the great acting.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just finished Season 1 of The Shield. Really enjoying it so far, Vic is defninitely one of my favourite TV characters ever.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Just finished Season 2 of Sherlock and it was even better. Wouldn't care about plot holes, the pacing and directing where I felt it fumbled a little bit was immaculate this time.

Come to think of it, like HBO shows, it's television at its best. It has movie-caliber acting and everything, but the character intros and exposition are done in the pilot and every episode can simply focus on the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Until season 3 when story goes straight out the window