Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any way to follow just the Designer Videos on YouTube? I like them but Lego mixed all their channels together into one and now they post tons of stuff for the kids shows so I don't want to subscribe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

InfinEight posted:

Even though it's not like this anymore (it's worse!), I'll post this again to give you some inspiration for sorting:

I can do some updated pics if you guys want when I get home, but the best answer has already been given: You gotta sort in a way that works for you. The less space you have, the less sorting you can do, and the more pieces you have, the more containers you'll need. My advice would be to start with putting all your rectangular bricks (2x1, 2x2, 1x8, etc) into one container, and all your rectangular plates into another. That alone will isolate a big chunk of your collection and help give you some idea of how you want to break the rest down.

I keep all of my pieces in one, big tub, and I dump them out on the floor to swim through until I find that one piece I'm looking for, the way God intended.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

PriorMarcus posted:

It looks like a screenshot from a Simpsons Rectify parody.

Also here's the Design Video, which is so desperate to apologize for the figures half of it is about how they tried really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxCIXqYaSPU

Every prototype (Maggie for the final model) looks better with the eyes wide open. WHY ARE THEY HALF CLOSED!

Wow, yeah, honestly if they had just made the eyes all the way open this would have been such a better set.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)
For Christmas, my wife got me a print by graffiti artist AME72 - I've always wanted one of his Lego spaceman prints. Here's the one I got:

But wait, is that...

Yep, the whole thing, frame and all, is made of Lego.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

One interesting thing from the Simpsons House designer video is that all the floors are plates, and the furniture just sits on top of it and is movable. Unlike the modular buildings, where the floor has studs and the furniture is stuck to it.

Also, they announced the price is $199, which is really good for 2500 pieces. Still looks ugly to me though.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Eh, it looks about as good as the house could I think. It's an ugly house in the show. Most of Springfield is deliberately ugly.

Most likely won't bother with the set, but I'd definitely pick up a Moe's Tavern.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Good long video with the designer of the latest Cuusoo set, who also really works at JPL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63R25E4FigY

(Except the really annoying background music.)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
House is ugly and boring.

Minifigs look like the worst minifigs I've ever seen.

All of the details are nice on closer inspection, but yeah, it looks like the most hideous modular they ever made.

...and it will make them a shitload of money because people apparently blindly love Simpsons (hence it still on TV when it should have died past S10)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

jeeves posted:

...and it will make them a shitload of money because people apparently blindly love Simpsons (hence it still on TV when it should have died past S10)

Everyone on eurobricks is going loving apeshit in love over it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

jeeves posted:

House is ugly and boring.

Minifigs look like the worst minifigs I've ever seen.

All of the details are nice on closer inspection, but yeah, it looks like the most hideous modular they ever made.

I mean, that first decade was so good that I'm ok with getting a piece of Simpsons merch that reminds of those times without the stink of what it became having to haunt it. But the house is just a boring (if inevitable) choice.

Kind of hope it's successful so that they do better (and smaller) sets. Moe's, Kwik-E-Mart, Krusty IRS Burger...

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
The people who think the Simpsons set looks ugly and horrible are probably the same people that loved the look of the ultra-poo poo deloreon that looks nothing like a Deloreon they poo poo out last year.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

yourafagpleasedie posted:

The people who think the Simpsons set looks ugly and horrible are probably the same people that loved the look of the ultra-poo poo deloreon that looks nothing like a Deloreon they poo poo out last year.

poo poo guys, we've been caught! WRAP IT UP!

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
The set is fine and faithful to the cartoon.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

The set is fine and faithful to the cartoon.

The cartoon is ugly to begin with, so this statement is not incompatible with saying that the set is ugly.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Well. I never thought I'd see someone try to start a flamewar in a Lego thread.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Red posted:

Well. I never thought I'd see someone try to start a flamewar in a Lego thread.

Welcome to Something Awful, where someone can and will be an rear end in a top hat about literally every single thing possible.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

It seems like a lot of the complaints about the house is "The Simpsons haven't been good in X amount of years." Which has nothing to do with the build at all.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Taste the Rainbugh posted:

It seems like a lot of the complaints about the house is "The Simpsons haven't been good in X amount of years." Which has nothing to do with the build at all.

The complaint is that it sucks, there's just confusion over why Simpsons sets are coming out now, rather than 15 years ago at the height of their popularity (or maybe I'm just full of poo poo)

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
The house looks like it's got some nice detail to it, and it seems like good value at $200. But goddamn the half-closed eyes on the minifigs are pretty :wtf:.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I figure that they did the half-closed eyes because they're doing a Simpsons wave of the collectible mini-figs and they want every aspect of the mini-figs in the house to be different from the ones available in that wave. If it's a huge turn-off, you could get the open-eyed heads for ~ 15 bucks more.

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012
Oh you negative nellies, the Simpsons house may be bland on the outside, but that interior is another matter. Just look at the array of creative microbuilds! The colors! Fully separated rooms for the first time in any official set.

Who cares about the figures/show accuracy/license. This feels like a great mix of modulars, Friends and city, at a more than decent price to boot.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

:stare: Holy poo poo this box is massive

For reference, that F1 below the box is just under 60cm (~2feet) long. I can't wait to get lost in those pieces.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm okay with the Simpson's House being kind of lackluster, given how many fantastic sets there are this year.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Sockser posted:

The complaint is that it sucks, there's just confusion over why Simpsons sets are coming out now, rather than 15 years ago at the height of their popularity (or maybe I'm just full of poo poo)

Did lego do a lot of liceneses 15 years ago?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Is that a serious question? There were no licenses before Star Wars, that I remember ever. That didn't happen until the very late 90's early 2000's with the new star wars movies? Or something like that.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Rawrbomb posted:

Is that a serious question? There were no licenses before Star Wars, that I remember ever. That didn't happen until the very late 90's early 2000's with the new star wars movies? Or something like that.

It was the late 90s, I definitely remember having some Episode 1 sets around the time the movie came out. Back when the Star Wars dudes were still yellow. Harry Potter came out in what, 2001 or something? They had sets around the same time as the movie too.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Well, they did use Exxon in the 80s.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Red posted:

Well, they did use Exxon in the 80s.

Don't forget Shell.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
I have seen Air Canada, Esso and Canada Post from the 80's.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

tactical_grace posted:

For Christmas, my wife got me a print by graffiti artist AME72 - I've always wanted one of his Lego spaceman prints. Here's the one I got:

Wow, that's awesome, I'd like one of those! I'll just mosey over to his store and ....jesus christ, £1250?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Sloppy posted:

Wow, that's awesome, I'd like one of those! I'll just mosey over to his store and ....jesus christ, £1250?

Holy poo poo. :aaaaa:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So the local WalMart has a Grand Emporium for some reason, on sale, for $99. I don't think I've ever seen a modular that cheap. Worth picking up to hold on for a little bit to flip? I already have one built.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Sloppy posted:

I mean, it is a one-off hand made art piece, he made 4 different ones and only the one of each, it's not like he's just snapping together as many of these as there are orders.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I mean, it is a one-off hand made art piece, he made 4 different ones and only the one of each, it's not like he's just snapping together as many of these as there are orders.

Oh, that makes sense then. I thought he was cranking these out.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

The beige walls and tiny size of the room make it look like Bart is chilling in a prison cell :( I want to like this set (and I know I'll end up buying it, goddamnit) but there's just so much they could've done differently.

smackfu posted:

One interesting thing from the Simpsons House designer video is that all the floors are plates, and the furniture just sits on top of it and is movable. Unlike the modular buildings, where the floor has studs and the furniture is stuck to it.

The Friends sets do this too. I've got Olivia's house and each room has SNOT tiles on the floor and then the furniture gets placed wherever. I guess it's to increase playability and make it less of a static display model?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Winter Village Cottage too. The armchair and Xmas tree skate all over the place.

tactical_grace
Oct 18, 2004

General Contact Unit
(Escarpment Class)

Arnold of Soissons posted:

The one I have says 48/50 next to the signiture, so I presume there are 50 of each colour. The £1250 price tag is for 4 of them, one of each colour.

tactical_grace fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 9, 2014

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
What do I do with this 2.5 foot black tower full of cute LOTR stuff besides put it on a side table as a display piece?

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

slightpirate posted:

What do I do with this 2.5 foot black tower full of cute LOTR stuff besides put it on a side table as a display piece?

Buy a bunch of DC and Marvel sets and make it a base for your supervillain supergroup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

mattfl posted:

So the local WalMart has a Grand Emporium for some reason, on sale, for $99. I don't think I've ever seen a modular that cheap. Worth picking up to hold on for a little bit to flip? I already have one built.

Buy all of them they have. It'd be relatively easy to flip for $130-150, and it'll probably go to $200 the instant it's sold out and retired on Lego.com.