Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Alacron posted:

What is this and why have I never heard about it until now? :stare:

They're upgrades given to the other Shuffle Alliance members in a manga:

Gundam Bolt Crash :ussr:

Gundam Double Dragon :china:

Gundam Versailles :france:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
Is Dr. Wily on the Gundam Fight Council now?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

drat, both of these routes look really interesting. Let's go to the Dark Continent for now.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Hellioning posted:

No Chibodee? Because I want the Gundam Max Revolver in more things.

I don't know what the hell it is, but it's as hilarious as the original Japanese dialogue of Chibodee in episode 2.

Also Gundam Max Revolver reminds me of something Kyosuke Nambu would pilot.

Hikarusa
Sep 8, 2011
Fun fact about the G Gundam upgrade units: they're from a currently serializing manga which is written by the writer of G Gundam and drawn by the character designer of G Gundam, and the writer has described it as the complete version of the story. Maybe hoping for it to get in is just a dream (like Votoms and Patlabor, perhaps :v:), but I like to pretend that it's actually possible for this one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Hellioning posted:

No Chibodee? Because I want the Gundam Max Revolver in more things.

Man, as cool as that looks, I can't give up the boxing-gloved football-padded surfboarding Gundam as the champion of America. This cowboy will always be second place.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

Hikarusa posted:

Fun fact about the G Gundam upgrade units: they're from a currently serializing manga which is written by the writer of G Gundam and drawn by the character designer of G Gundam, and the writer has described it as the complete version of the story. Maybe hoping for it to get in is just a dream (like Votoms and Patlabor, perhaps :v:), but I like to pretend that it's actually possible for this one.

Please tell me someone is translating this.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Crowe decides to go after the beastmen. As long as they're wrecking the place, the planet's in no place to gather its forces against the Imperium. "Beating the Imperium gets us peace, paying off my debt gets me freedom," muses Crowe. "I'm going to need both of those."

Crowe also submitted a report on his Sphere; Traia thinks she can definitely use the data to dig deeper into the secrets of the VX. Crowe asks her to try to find out how the rich moron got his hands on it too.

This time, Esther sounds in Crowe's tab with a complete drumroll; how she managed to fit a whole drum set in Traia's office beats Crowe.

Does it bother you?
What?
Tell me if it bothers you! I'm just some clown, right?

Esther bangs out an angry, but sick, drum solo.

Hey, cool it! You don't have to beat out your feelings with those drums!
I'm grateful, okay? I appreciate all your performances from the bottom of my heart!
Really? I'll put on an even better one next time!
Just... don't do anything crazy.
Okay! Then let's see our numbers!

Esther sounds her drumroll again, and the gong. I gotta wonder how crowded that office is.

Well, you earned 400,000 G, so that leaves you 1,100,000 G in the red.
All right! Almost halfway! Definitely worth fighting all those crazy bastards!
Good job, Crowe!
Hey, I owe it to great support from you two.
You definitely earned it. Keep it up.
The world turning itself upside down wouldn't stop me.
That's what I like about you, Crowe!
Thanks, Esther. I'm glad I've got a beauty and a cutie at my back.
Meow?!
What's the matter?
D-did you just call me a cutie?
(Whoops, that was the wrong thing to say...)

Write it down, Crowe's this close to home.

The Great Axion's floating over Africa, and Carlos sums thing up for us with barely-contained glee. The Invaders are quiet, but the beastmen are far from, there's something mysterious up on the moon, and oh yeah, the emperor of Gishin is on his way to Earth. "I'm on the edge of my seat!" Shioni just glowers silently. Anyway, it's about time for Carlos to wipe another section of land off the map - three countries' worth of eastern Africa. But that's actually too small for Shioni. If the Imperium can't knock down the three superpowers, they haven't changed the world one bit as far as she's concerned.

Carlos gets serious for a moment and says she liked her better when she challenged the superpowers with her own strength. "Let me give you some advice, as this operation's sponsor. You're from a little country, so I won't stop you from trying to destroy the world. But if you'd rather keep your seat, use your head a little more. We're going to get crushed by the UNF at this rate, and we can't fight back against the whole world. Not unless Gaioh decides to do his thing."

Carlos knows that Treize Kushrinada is cool, collected, and moving all his pieces into position one by one. The Imperium can't afford to be rash.

Shioni threatens to stick him with treason. Carlos is quite aware that with both Gaioh and Ime out, no one can stop her, but he doesn't seem to be scared. Oh well. No matter what happens to them, Gaioh can turn it around in a second. Carlos is content to just wait and watch. Ime's got a thing going in Japan...

This is Karen's first time in regular-Japan's Tokyo, and she's never seen this many Japanese living happily. Sara remembers the Exodus' jaw going just as slack as Karen's when they first got to Yapan. For all the Black Knights, this Japan is the model of what they're fighting for. And they deserve the rest - after the break here in Japan, we're headed straight to the Dark Continent for a showdown. The 21st Century girls are taking her out shopping; to Ibuki's disgruntlement, a horde of GOONZ-ettes descend on her, as well, declaring she needs a makeover.

This is really demonstrative of Japan's place in the Imperium-wracked world. Situated between Area 11 and the body of countries that is the HRL, it's protected from the Imperium's destruction; with its only threat, Dr. Hell, mysteriously quiet, it's a place of relaxation for the whole world. Its only real remaining issue is the Hetereodynes, and those are more of freak weather conditions than actual threats.

Speaking of the Imperium, Banjou's responsible for keeping tabs. They seem to be focused on Africa right now, which is understandable with the three superpowers pooling their resources into the UNF. That's just fine with Crowe; while they're fooling around, it's GOONZ' chance to mop up the beastmen so they can focus on the Imperium when that time finally comes. Though Banjou is still curious about what Ime Liard, in particular, wants. He has a Sphere; is that why he's after Crowe, who has a Sphere of his own?

Yokozawa runs up to report a Heterodyne - one even bigger than the one that enveloped Shinjuku! Sickly, the GOONZ realize that the huge thing that's been in the sky this whole time was no cloud. And it's coming at us...

They hurry back to the Great Gurren. Shirota says the Heterodyne has stopped moving physically for now, but it's still causing spacial distortions around it that are warping the fabric of reality across 23 separate wards. It's sapping the life out of our fair Tokyo!

And that's not all, pipes up Domeki. At the rate the Heterodyne is expanding, the effect will cover all of Japan within seven days and the entire planet within a month. And with the Heterodyne's size, conventional weapons are worse than useless against its regenerative properties. The only possible option is to break the thing's original Fractal Knot.

Well, we know where the Knot is, and we know how to break it: with Dai-Guard's Knot Punisher. The tricky part will be getting there; we don't know what kind of defenses the Heterodyne has or even what the conditions are on or in it. But that's not going to stop Akagi or his team; Shirota smiles and gives them the job, and we know all of GOONZ is going to be right behind them, seeing them safely to the core.

But first, Ookouchi, CEO of 21st Century Security, has a word for us. Or rather, he has something to ask of us. Twelve years ago, Ookouchi was the man in command of the counterstrike team when the first Heterodyne attacked twelve years ago, and ordered the deployment of OE weaponry. The mistake, the lives lost there, still haunt him to this day. If Dai-Guard fails up there, the military will almost certainly deploy their OE weapons; just like before, the result would destroy the Heterodyne and Tokyo along with it.

Zero is the only one who says they would have to to protect the whole world, but that's not good enough for Akagi to justify taking many lives and ruining many more. Even if all the citizens evacuated, they'd be without homes, without jobs. Zero agrees with that, and so does Ookouchi. That's why he wants us to make sure the mistakes of twelve years ago are not repeated. "I believe your passion to protect peoples' livelihoods is powerful enough to rival the strongest weapons of humanity."

Chapter 42: A Song of Victory for Tomorrow
(Dark Continent route)

GOONZ touches down on the Heterodyne; it's enormous and miles above the ground. Kokubougar is standing by on the surface in case they're needed down there. So up here, Akagi's taking point.

Kappei questions the need to bring all of GOONZ to follow him into the breach, but we don't want something like Insectos R to happen again - you know, where Ime summoned a Heterodyne using his power to break the dimensional wall. Crowe wonders if he's responsible for this one being here as well.

Ime says that's quite out of his power to open a fault in the dimensions of this size. What is within his power, though, is opening a small crack that steadily feeds energy to a particular point in local space. For instance, into a Heterodyne to help it grow to an unbelievable size.

Crowe asks if his Sphere is really that important, and Ime is delighted to discover he has begun to grasp the extent of the power he wields. He may as well explain why he's hunting another Sphere holder - to gather all twelve "keys" (so yes, there are twelve Spheres and twelve Zodiac signs). That explains why Asakim hunts Sphere holders as well - he must have one of his own. So he's trying to get his hands on the twelve Spheres. To what end?

Ime simply chuckles and praise's Crowe's reaction - the wavering of his scales. He'll be back for Crowe's soul when his power is fully realized.

In the meantime, there's his army - including Marguerite Pisteil. Ime reminds her that it's a chance to regain her honor. "And you said you won't allow me to take advantage of your brother's death? Then strike Crowe Brust down and put it behind you."

The Heterodyne is continuing to expand - Ime says this'll be more fun with a time limit. If we're too late, he reminds us, the military will deploy their OE weapon. "GOONZ. You have pained us long enough. This is a good opportunity to get rid of half of you... the remaining half will be more than sufficient to lead Crowe Brust astray!"

Shirota says the military has made their decision - in six minutes, they'll fire that OE weapon unless something changes here. Or to put it another way, if Dai-Guard doesn't break that Heterodyne's core within six minutes, Tokyo will be destroyed!

We're here to stop that from happening!
We're counting on you guys!
We'll break through the Damons' line and make a run for the Fractal Knot!
There's the original...

We just have to get over there and hit it with the Knot Punisher in six minutes, right?
We'll handle all those Damons!
It's on you, Akagi! You have to save Tokyo!
Here we go, Ibuki, Aoyama!
Right!
Show 'em what we office workers can rise to, Akagi!
You bet!
Yes, show me how far you can go. Best of luck, Marguerite.
Crowe Brust...
(Marguerite... are you sure?)
Aoyama, give me full power! Ibuki, track the target!
Here we go! We're going to defend Tokyo!

So what do we have, again? Within six turns, break the Heterodyne's Knot - but for our purposes, do it in five turns, and take down all the Damons and Pearlnail first.

With Chain Actions, breaking through their line isn't too hard, especially since the first wave is ordinary Damons.

Unfortunately, there's something going on in the Fractal Knot.

And it looks like some sort of alien, black version of Dai-Guard! It's grown out of the Heterodyne's core itself - meaning we have to take it down to hit the core. Or as Akagi puts it, "it's the final boss!"

Luckily, Domeki has finished Dai-Guard's new weapon just in time - the "Great Knot Punisher"!

"Okay, let's do this! It's on, Black Dai-Guard!"

So let me alter what I said before - within five turns, after defeating all the Damons and Pearlnail, defeat, um, Black Dai-Guard.

It's been so long since we've fought plain old Damons, I forgot that they don't have any post-move attacks.

And oh poo poo Dinodamons. Sorry, Karen! Thanks for getting that trigger off for me!

Mazinger, obviously, does much better.

It dodged my--

Goddammit. I hate Dinodamons.

Before we go any further with this one, Crowe can talk to Marguerite this chapter. If she gets to fight him, Crowe says he would really rather not while she's clearly conflicted, so I see no need to make him.

Marguerite! We need to talk!
How dare you address me so!
What are you to Ime? What are you following him for?
!
I thought you were a knight! You know, honorable and proud!
What are you doing taking orders from a liar?
It's not your business...
Then tell me what happened to Chene!
How do you... know my brother's...
If you hate me for killing your brother, you are absolutely my business!
Tell me! You came from another universe, so when would I have even met your brother?
That...
You tell me or I can't fight you!
Ugh... aaaaaagh!

Marguerite!
Marguerite. Why are you so reluctant to give yourself up?
Ime... I don't know what's going on here, but I can tell it's not clean.
The burden of conquest is on the conquered. I shall call someone who actually realizes that.

Did you summon me, My Lord Ime?
Marguerite is no longer useful. Cheval, I leave her duties to you.
With pride, my lord!
I will strike down your foes in place of that worthless she-dog!
So you brought out your lapdog?
Indeed! I am a dog! A loyal hooooooooound!
A faithful servant of my lords Ime and Gaioh! The hunting dog of the Imperium - Cheval Repteil!

(Where was my French, dammit?)

And with your total and utter defeat, I will wipe clean this stain on the Archsabre's honor on Marguerite's behaaaaalf!
Sure. I don't have to hold back against you.
If you're a born-again soldier of the Imperium, I won't leave enough of you left to wipe.

But seriously, come on.

And there's another one, you say?

Oh, and before I forget - you'll see the Great Knot Punisher before the end of the chapter, but it only has one shot and there's no way I'm not using it on Black Dai-Guard. Other than that, it's another upgrade in Dai-Guard's series of Knot-smashing weapons.

Where was I?

The Dinodamon at least rewards us for our trouble. It drops a DM Unit, a useful tool for any mobile robot and many robots in general - a +10 bump to both targeting and mobility.

At three Photon Beams a turn, Mazinger gets drained quickly.

But seriously gently caress this, I'm going to burn one of Simon's precious Valors. (He's bleeding PP. I should fill him up on SP Up.)

Motherfucker.

No, it's okay. It's only turn 2. He'll die on the counter. I've got enough firepower left to deal with Emeraldan and Black Dai-Guard. I don't have to get mad just because the thing one-shotted Karen.

The Damons seem to be going for Dai-Guard. That kind of bites. They've got Guard on from Ibuki, though.

Kittan :ohdear:

Yep, there goes another one.

KITTAN YOU AMAZING BASTARD

Cheval plods across the plain that is the Heterodyne surface.

Okay so now this fucker is down (he doesn't drop anything by the way), we just have to worry about two Rhinodamons, Cheval, the Heterodyne, and a mass of Damons laying about behind who are hard to get to attack. I'm pretty sure that's why they used the Damon Classic here, actually; Bulldamons are too aggressive.

So hey, Crowe gets Valor!

It's turn 3 already, let's start this party.

Okay. Wow. Emeraldan is way less threatening than I thought it'd be. Never mind.

So anyway, with two whole turns left, we've got a team mopping up the Damons and a team ready to break through that Black Dai-Guard so the Great Knot Punisher can take down the core. Nothing else is happening this chapter, so it should be a piece of cake, depending on how powerful Black is.

And depending on whether all those Damons continue ignoring my defensive team to go for Dai-Guard. I'll probably have to take part of a turn just knocking them out. Most of them are wounded, if they would just attack

At least the Bulldamons and Rhinodamons aren't jerks.

This will not be as fun for Cheval as he remembers from our last encounter.

Crowe Brust, know that I will not be as pathetic an opponent as Marguerite!
I have no idea what's going on between you and Marguerite, but let me stop you right there.
What Marguerite's fighting is in her own head. If you can't see that, I'm not taking this from you!

We can't let that fake beat us or we'd never live it down! We've gotta win!
I know, but he's really strong!
It's the core of this gigantic Heterodyne. It's got massive amounts of energy going through it.
But we've got something he'll never have!
What's that?
It's Akagi, right? You know he's going to say teamwork or passion or something.
Took the words right out of my mouth, Aoyama.
Are you serious?
Of course I'm serious! That's how we've made it this far, isn't it?
...you know, you're right.
Guess we'll just have to do it again.
There we go. All together now...
Come on, Black Dai-Guard! You're gonna get a taste of the real thing!

Unfortunately, that taste isn't coming yet. Dai-Guard's out of range.

Anyway, all the normal Damons are down.

I was going to do a thing for Cheval but the only thing he has going for him as a miniboss is some stupid level of Prevail, so meh.

He does drop a DM Armor, though, which is neat.

Forgive me, Lord Ime... have mercy on your pathetic dog...
Next time... when next we meet, I will not fail you! Please, forgive meeee!

That just leaves the Heterodyne and a couple of stray Damons.

In fact, I don't think there's much point starting an assault on the Heterodyne with the couple of allies I have left. It can definitely be taken down in one turn, and it regenerates 18000 HP when its turn starts anyway.

And I guess Dai-Guard takes another hit.

I brought Watta for shits, and he's straggling as usual (this is kind of my fault, I put in on DAMon duty).

Even if we beat up the Gishin, the beastmen, and the Imperium, the Heterodyne'll just keep coming like storms...
So Takeo General Co. has to do as good as 21st Century Security!
Okay! Trider's getting into the Heterodyne-killing business!

Now that's over with, we can get back to work.

That was fast. Time for the finish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdzjRUcMbSg

Yes.

And yes.

Ime does not like this turn of events. He mumbles something about having to "try something new" and leaves.

I think...
What is it, Aoyama?
Just something I just realized. You're kind of like this monkey we used to have in school.
Wha?
Wow, I was just thinking that! He's exactly like the chimpanzee they had at my dad's college!
What?
Come on, he's clearly a Japanese monkey with that face.
Nope, chimp.
Monkey!
Chimp!
Come on..
Hee hee. I think that's the face he made.
What?
My dad's face when he saw the Heterodyne in person.

But uh oh, the Heterodyne's crumbling from under us!

As always, this is expressed in Super Robot Wars through the medium of explosions.

Oh, and don't worry about the Guren. It's on Roger. I did mention his Negotation skill cancels repair costs, right?

Yeah, these things are happening. Don't get used to the PP, but I really like Banjou.

But PR Division 2 is back to filling out forms - the falling pieces of the Heterodyne did a number on Tokyo. Akagi's pretty down that the people are blaming Dai-Guard, but Ibuki and Aoyama are there to remind him that heroics is not about the recognition. Besides, the whole incident has put off our trip to the Dark Continent to tomorrow, so while they're in here making reports, Karen has a chance to take that shopping trip she wanted. Probably wanted. But are the beastmen going to appreciate new outfits?

Ohsugi and Shirota both wish for the day when Dai-Guard can return to being a giant tin mascot - the day it's no longer needed to fight.

Crowe's here - not to join 21st Century, but as part of Takeo, who sniped him first ("I'd really rather work for Kinoshita so I can kick back and relax"). They say the operation yesterday was a collaboration between 21st and Takeo, so they're here to help with the damage reports - Crowe included. But not including Watta; seems Crowe's in his place. "So you pulled the short straw and had to do his work?" jabs Aoyama. "Don't be rude," says Crowe. "Watta's the one paying out all the time; this is a little bonus from me."

Very generous. I'm pretty sure Watta counts as a small business owner. But Kinoshita gives Crowe the bad news - Takeo General Co. has never actually paid out any bonuses. Short straw indeed. But it may not be so bad - CEO Ookouchi is paying, from his own pocket, for one last shindig before GOONZ leaves. Just as soon as they're finished with the paperwork, of course.

"MAAAAAARGUERIIIIIIIIIITE!"

Ime's run out of patience with Marguerite. "Are you going to... offer me to the King of Destruction?" she asks.

"Don't flatter yourself, girl. You're not worth taking yet."

Gaioh's back, and he's got a hot dog, from a food stand he passed through in Area 11 on his way back from Japan. He liked it so much he brought enough for everyone.

He's in a good mood; Ime asks why. Well, there's the hot dog, and he also found another clue. His memories aren't quite back yet, but they're getting there. In the meantime, he barks at Shioni to make for the south - towards the Dark Continent. "There's someone down there who sounds like he knows what I am."

We'll actually be at the Dark Continent next time around.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Huh, so that was the Dai-Guard Finale? Fun.

I will say, the core looking like Dai-Guard makes a decent amount of sense when we've got Ime around summoning these things and generally being a massive prick, but I have to wonder if it makes any sense at all in the show.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Huh, so that was the Dai-Guard Finale? Fun.

I will say, the core looking like Dai-Guard makes a decent amount of sense when we've got Ime around summoning these things and generally being a massive prick, but I have to wonder if it makes any sense at all in the show.

It makes as much sense as anything else in Dai-Guard.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

I will forever be disappointed that the parachute isn't included in the Great Knot Punisher's animations.

Shameful, Banpresto, just shameful. :colbert:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Black Dai-Guard was a joke Akagi made while playing with a Dai-Guard figure like 6 episodes into the show (he just made up the name on the spur of the moment). The punchline was that Kokubogar was basically Black Dai-Guard when it shows up a couple episodes later. The final boss being a copy of Dai-Guard isn't notable at all in terms of the plot.

By this point in the series, Dai-Guard had gotten an offscreen mid-season upgrade where it no longer has to be constructed onsite using trucks and instead combines like the Getter. It's not mentioned by the characters ever. I hate this show.

The Knot Punisher at this point was lost to the government because they forgot to copyright it, or something. The Great Knot Punisher is cool because it's permanently attached to Dai-Guard's arm.

Once they beat the final boss, it basically cuts to them doing paperwork in the office. The news! Another Heterodyne has appeared! They're going to show up every 2 weeks or so for all eternity! Everybody's happy about this for some reason.

Dai-Guard was a loving terrible show.

NotALizardman posted:

I will forever be disappointed that the parachute isn't included in the Great Knot Punisher's animations.

Shameful, Banpresto, just shameful. :colbert:
It's in the Knot Punisher's animations. The GKP was never airdropped in the show.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

They never lost the Knot Punisher, the original Knot Buster gets repo'd because they didn't pay for it, and then the army buys it for Kokubogar. The GKP was just a straight upgrade so that Dai-Guard can have a Knot Punisher and hands.

quote:

It's in the Knot Punisher's animations. The GKP was never airdropped in the show.

I'm talking about Dai-Guard's parachute, the one it's supposed to use to escape when the huge heterodyne crumbles, but it deploys early and Akagi uses it to blind the Black Dai-Guard while he spears it. And then Dai-Guard plummets to the earth, because its parachute is full of huge-rear end holes from a giant harpoon thing. Would have given the animation more character, but maybe just for the ground-to-air version?

And Dai-Guard is a fantastic show.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 9, 2014

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Caphi posted:

Gaioh's back, and he's got a hot dog, from a food stand he passed through in Area 11 on his way back from Japan. He liked it so much he brought enough for everyone.

Oh, Gaioh...you're so awesome. :allears:

It takes a real badass to be threatening while holding a bunch of hot-dogs.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007

Brunom1 posted:

Oh, Gaioh...you're so awesome. :allears:

It takes a real badass to be threatening while holding a bunch of hot-dogs.

Makes me think of the Manly Guys Doing Manly Things webcomic. I wonder if we could get the lady who draws that to do a picture of Gaioh...

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Broken Loose posted:

The entire point of Dai-Guard is that they're like firemen. You know, people who save lives in the real world. There's no angry fire god who you can beat up to stop fires forever, and that's okay. Leave the 'saving the world' to the superheroes of fantasy fiction, meanwhile the salarymen will work hard to protect the peace.

It is a very goofy super robot show but it is also a lot more mature than many gundam or macross series.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Broken Loose posted:

Once they beat the final boss, it basically cuts to them doing paperwork in the office. The news! Another Heterodyne has appeared! They're going to show up every 2 weeks or so for all eternity! Everybody's happy about this for some reason.
They've learned to accept that the Heterodynes are here to stay, and that they'll have to be dealt with much the same way Japan desl with other natural disasters.

quote:

That's an outright lie.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

TK-31 posted:

It is a very goofy super robot show but it is also a lot more mature than many gundam or macross series.

The humor was entirely people tripping and other forms of lowest-common-denominator slapstick. I'm dying to know here this maturity is.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Dai-Guard acknowledges that the fight against natural disasters is larger than what any single giant robot - or all of mankind - could completely stop. What is that if not more mature? I don't see how the humor has any bearing on this.

Remember that this is Japan we are talking about, I'm sure you remember the 2011 tsunami. They are used to constant natural disasters, and having to always keep an eye out for them is basically what they already are doing.

You don't have to like the show, but you should be judging it by its own merits and flaws, and it does have flaws. But not being Pacific Rim is not one of them.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

Broken Loose posted:

Does Dai-Guard have a mech killing something with a Rocket Punch?

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvuhegyYeZEU

It's a good show :colbert:

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
It actually does that in this game if you use Dai-Guard's basic attack on a flying enemy.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Shadowlyger posted:

It actually does that in this game if you use Dai-Guard's basic attack on a flying enemy.

It's the Drill Arm. Demonstration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrVZzgawFPs

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
Well, I think this LP is what's convincing me to go down to fye and buy a season box set of Gundam 00 today.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
So, even though this game involves season 1 of Gundam 00, what mission is it where Team Trinity appears in the game?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

HR12345 posted:

So, even though this game involves season 1 of Gundam 00, what mission is it where Team Trinity appears in the game?

They first showed up on 24 (Space route) and were killed on 36 (Celestial Being route).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

"God created the world in seven days," says Lordgenome, starting us off on a classy note, "and it was on the sixth that he created man."

Guame grumps that it's just like humans to declare that they were the final thing to be created. And speaking of humans, they're coming for the capitol - and not just the humans either, says Lordgenome. Cytomander asks for permission to be the one to intercept, and receives it from the King. Guame grumbles again that he's too hotheaded "a young lad of just 200." Lordgenome is aware, but he's also aware that Cytomander is up to the job of weakening the humans. After that, it will be Adiene's and Guame's turn to step in.

Guame obeys, but continues to gripe that "we stamp them out over and over, and they spring back up like weeds." Even sealing them under the soil wasn't enough to contain them. That's the Power of Spiral - "and they don't even realize it'll be they're own undoing." Lordgenome agrees that their blissful ignorance gives them strength, but he's about to stamp them down so they can never spin again.

This is what Lordgenome was talking about - the Imperium is coming here too. Actually, they're already here, skirmishing with the beastmen up north. It would be nice if we could just watch the Imperium and Lordgenome's army duke it out, but militaries all over the planet are having to deal with those moonbots. Like the beastmen, it seems that those creatures want to wipe humanity off the Earth, and the other half of GOONZ is heading to the moon itself to confront their commander.

That doesn't mean it's going to be easy for us, either. All the beastmen deployed all over the world are returning to the Dark Continent, ready to defend the capitol from our siege. Simon, on the other hand, is pleased. "We're here to defeat the beastmen once and for all. If they're all in one place, it'll be easier to take them all down."

Well, Simon knows it wasn't quite as good as his bro's speeches, but Ryoma, Renton, Jiron, and even Kitan have to admit he's doing a good job as leader. In fact, Shirota says that he and Zero have decided to put Simon himself in command of this operation. He knows the beastmen best, and morale-wise, there's no better leader to be found.

Simon's up to the task, and Crowe's impressed at his progress. "Not long ago, it would have been more like, 'I can't do it! Mr. Shirota, you or Zero do it!'" It's a pretty good impression, but even that doesn't bother Simon anymore. And he knows that they're really on his side. We'll have to be on his side; the beastmen will try to destroy us, Imperium or no. "Why? Because we're stronger than the Imperium."

He's even got intelligence. The beastman capitol is called Teppelin, the summit, but to get there, we'll have to go through their barricade on the North Canandoma Plateau. Once we break through their last line of defense, we'll be on our way...

Chapter 42: To The Royal Capitol, Teppelin
(Dark Continent route)

Cytomander, of course, is already waiting for us in his Dai-Gan-Ten and his army of Katras.

I had just enough room to fit in everyone with a speaking role (unfortunately, this includes Renton), plus Karen. Anyway, Simon's strategy is to blow a hole in the enemy formation that we can rush through. With Gurren-Lagann, that might just work. But Zero's still coming to give tactical advice.

Despite the mission telling me to crush the enemy army, Simon's orders to focus on Cytomander's Ganship are a terribly good idea. The stage needs to be finished in six rounds, but there's a lot more coming than what you see here.

Sorry, here. This is the starting scenario. Like I said, we're going to move straight in for that Ten.

With Simon drilling through enemies, it takes less than a turn - a solid clue that there's a lot going on in this stage, if it wasn't obvious.

No problem.

We do have a lot to get through, though, so I'm going to skip to the part early in turn 2 where the Dai-Gan-Ten goes down...

And Cytomander promptly bails, only to return in his robot, the Shuzack, which we will also have to take down.

Blegh, but also not very strong.

Still turn 2, Cytomander's down again, and this time he drops a Vernier.

Suddenly, we're surrounded by three ship-class Ganmen, including what looks like a new version of the Dai-Gan-Zan - with Viral and the helm, itching to destroy us and reclaim the honor he stained by escaping when his commander Thymilf fell.

Alongside Adiene in the Kai and Guame in the Do, both laying down their lives to keep us from reaching their King - and to end Nia, as well.

So this is not a great situation, especially if we have to divide our forces to take down all those ships. But for now, I'm out of turns.

This is where I messed up. All those Ganmen riders have Offensive Support, too, so it's going to be hard not to lose Jiron. More generally, I'm on an unintentional self-imposed challenge by bringing along underleveled pilots just so they can have a shot at the beastmen.

Fortunately, the beastmen start too far away to mount a proper assault, and I'm safe to regroup.

Here, I wanted to show the new Dai-Gan-Zandu in all its glory, but also to show that the ships aren't really that much stronger. On the other hand, all the Ganmen they've got all over are going to be incredibly annoying.

Against my better judgment, I'm going to take a turn to clean those out a bit while we let those ships (those slow, slow ships) come to us.

Turn 4: Boil Adiene...

And drat it Viral what are you doing all the way over there.

(Trying to get to Gurren-Lagann, most likely.)

Fine, I'll just put a hole in Guame in the meantime.

Guame what are you doing.

RIP Guame.

And oh nice to see you join the party, Viral.

Jerk.

It's turn 5, but the chapter's not done yet...

Because the remaining beastmen generals have yet to use their final trump card.

Combine!
Do-Ten-Kai-Zan!
Diiiiieeeee!

I don't like the way this is headed, and Adiene and Guame have even left Viral in charge of the combined ship to deploy in their own robots, the Seirune and the Genbar.

Oh, and the Great Axion is here, too. Viral plans to take them all out at once, but...

Gaioh lets out a mighty roar that seems to shake the whole land, freezing everyone who hears it in place. He declares that he's only here to watch the fight, not to participate. "Though I'll fight you if you still want to," he says, grinning savagely. No one does.

So he leaves, probably to find a better vantage, and the whole battlefield relaxes. Except, Guame only seems more petrified.

He's... trying to remember... his mission... b-but... the whole universe...
The Imperium's watching just nearby. Even if we can beat the beastmen...
If they move in...
It's all over... everything we've worked for...
Oh, come on!

Why do we care about people who aren't even here?
Simon...
We've gotta keep digging through the walls in front of us, bit by bit!
If there's another wall behind that one, we'll dig through that one too!
And someday... someday we'll break through and see the sky!
Break through...
To the sky!
Simon!
Can we do it?
Of course we can! Who do you think I... we are?
All right! Let's do this!
Forget about what comes after! Let's crush the enemy we're fighting now!
Whoooah! Let's goooooo!
Brace yourselves, beastmen. We're not going to break.

Woooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh!

They... they've turned their fear into strength!
Simon's drill will pierce through the heavens!
Humans may be small, but they... they have tremendous hearts!
Hearts...!
Turn a drill once and it goes forward. Turn it a second time and it goes again! Turn it forever and we can go anywhere!
Our hearts will spin the drills that can drill through the impossible!
Here! We! Gooooooooooo!

The Do-Ten-Kai-Zan isn't even the final boss of this split, but it is pretty impressive.

And it has a MAP attack! Scary.

(I've only used one Valor this whole chapter, on the Dai-Gan-Zandu.)

Hey, beastmen! I know you know something about old man Saotome!
Perfect! I'll knock you all out of my way and ask your boss myself!

The sun is meant to shine on all life, beastmen!
But if you drive the humans underground and deny it to them, you don't deserve it yourself!
Daitarn 3 and Banjou Haran will fight to bring the sunlight to all!

We were forced by Siberian Railroads to live our lives in the icy snow...
So I won't let anyone take anyone else's freedom again!
And I'll fight with all I've got if you keep taking lives!

Our lives are precious, okay? We're not going to sit and let you take them from us!
The Walker Gallier's a man! It stands up to jerks like you!

If that's all you've got, we can handle it!
We're on our way and you can't stop us!

So you're the four generals of the Spiral King? Well, we're PR Division 2 of 21st Century Security!
Is that supposed to scare them?
It shows we have pride just like they do! We're not going to let them dampen our spirit!

Have I mentioned that Gurren-Lagann runs down on energy really quickly?

We're going to the capitol of Teppelin! We'll crush our way through anything in our way!
My drill's going to pierce the heavens! Just like it's been since we left Jeeha... since Bro first put his faith in me!

Still haven't used any more Valors.

Guame's Genbar drops an E Carbon Armor.

L-Lordgenome! We haven't much time! This world is...
Was that beastman saying something?
We'll find out when we meet the Spiral King.
I will get there, Guame. I will see my father and learn the truth.

Oh, and Simon learns one of the ultimate Spirits in the game: Courage, which. Well.

For just 60 SP, it gives Simon Accel, Strike, Invincible, Valor, Spirit, and Fury. Yeah, at once. That's 3 squares of movement, 10 Will, one attack with doubled damage that tears through defenses, one attack fully soaked, and a turn of guaranteed hits.

It's pretty good. Valor and almost any one of those other Spirits would be 60 SP on their own.

Ships with Alert are very silly, and it's a crime that Dayakka, an actual member of the Great Gurren Gang, wasn't given his own lines here.

Anyway, it's a good start on Adiene.

I forgot Kouji's actual turn. Those supports are intense.

And I appear to have an unused unit. Who-

Oh, right. Fine.

How can you deny anyone their right to live? Who would let you do that?
Renton...
I'll fight anyone who tries! I'm done with people who try to steal other peoples' lives for themselves!

Well, this is what this was for.

Heero's survived this long on Prevail (he has seven natural levels of it!). Let's see if it keeps up.

Locked on. Target: Beastman commander.
We will neutralize the final obstacles and continue.

Perfect!

Prevail is actually really good.

I thought Viral would use his MAP. Weirdo.

That's what you get.

You're tyrants, just like the Britannian Union!
I reject your yoke! And I will destroy you in the name of humanity!

You guys talk, and all I hear is greed and oppression!
And you think you're better than humans? Then watch us take you down!

T-Thymilf... I'm sorry! Gwaaaaaahhh!
Adiene... these are the same humans you referred to as trash.
All of us who live must live with all our might. You didn't realize that. You were destined to fall.

Kei gets a Radar.

Which brings us, on the final turn, to Viral and just a couple more things to get through.

Outta my way! We don't care about you, just your king!
And you don't want to try to stop us from getting to his big fancy castle!

Sorry, he's clean out of energy.

Just so you know, we're not trying to beat you up just 'cause you're beastmen!
I really want to be happy with everybody, okay?
But you're attacking humans, so you're gonna have to face Trider and me!

I'm afraid I cannot respect your refusal to coexist with humanity.
It's hardly even worth consideration. I'm compelled to meet force with force.
Just know that it's you who have forced me to make use of the Big O!

Looks like it's gotta be either the humans or the beastmen...
If only you guys coulda been like our Nia, it wouldn't have to be this way.

(Valor.)

Well, this was disappointing.

This could only end one way,

And what the Do-Ten-Kai-Zan, master of the three domains and four directions, drops is, appropriately, an A-Adapter.

Not yet... I can't die... until I destroy Kamina...

He's still trying to fight?
Kamina, I'm not done yet! Come out and face me, Kaminaaaaaaaa!
Bro is...
Bro is dead!
What?
In... in the battle with Thymilf? Kamina... died?!
You mean, I lost to you... to a child!
What's your name, child?
Simon!
Hear me, Simon! If you have inherited Kamina's will to pilot Gurren-Lagann...
Then I will destroy you!

Gh...
He's so intense!
But we're not done yet! My... and Bro's Gurren-Lagann won't go down so easy!
Come on, Gurren-Lagann! If there's any heart in you, give me something!

Wooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
All units, follow Simon!
Yeah!
Under the banner of the Great Gurren Gang!
!
Viral! This is our spirit... the spirit of the Great Gurren Gang!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoDLABtgM7U

With this kind of power... with all these friends at our side, under the flag Kamina left, we have nothing to fear.

Certainly not a few leftover Cannon Gannons.

And it's still turn 6. We're well on our way to Teppelin.

But what of the Imperium? Zero says wherever they are, they're out of radar range. They really are picking the best seats to watch us like we're gladiators.

"Then let's show them," says Simon. "How we win."

Viral reports the deaths in battle of Adiene, Guame, and Cytomander - with great shame, since he is again the lone survivor. But he had to escape, even he was only going to be executed, for he had to know one thing before he died. "Are humans truly inferior to beastmen? What are they?"

Lordgenome is silent for a moment. Then, "Beastmen are imperfect creatures." They live long, much longer than humans, but their bodies can only repair themselves in a deathlike sleep from which they mustn't be awakened lest every cell within them collapse. They exist in a sort of stasis, never evolving.

Viral asks why the Spiral King would create such creatures. In turn, Lordgenome asks him if he really wants to know what humans are - what sets them apart. Of course Viral does. Well, then Lordgenome's guest will have to wait.

Guest?

Oh. Guest. Fair enough, says Gaioh - he did barge into his host's castle. He's come to find his lost memories...

This is not a good sign.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy watching Gaioh and the Spiral King face off.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
For real. That's a fight that should have a cutscene.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I don't know if it's ever been asked, but how would you react if in an SRW game someday, they threw in Pacific Rim and Megas XLR, even if they're American and not Japanese?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Previous to playing this game I had only watched the second Gurren Lagann movie, because I heard this one didn't have much in the way of new animation or content. I was pleasantly surprised by this stage, and it got me to watch the first movie ASAP. :allears:

HR12345 posted:

I don't know if it's ever been asked, but how would you react if in an SRW game someday, they threw in Pacific Rim and Megas XLR, even if they're American and not Japanese?

Then I would give every unit this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyNuFCG2dVE

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

HR12345 posted:

With unlimited glee.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

HR12345 posted:

Stick in Godannar, too. That'd go really well with Pacific Rim, to the point where you could probably combine their plots.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

GilliamYaeger posted:

Stick in Godannar, too. That'd go really well with Pacific Rim, to the point where you could probably combine their plots.

Walking out of the theater after seeing Pacific Rim, the literal first words out of my mouth were, "That was probably the 5th best episode of Godannar I've seen."

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Finally decided to give this game a go, and I'm really liking it so far. Though I'm on my first playthrough so I have to a bit easier on myself.
Thanks for introducing me to this game Caphi!

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

GilliamYaeger posted:

Godannar was in a SRW game so that's a start.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

EDIT: Super sorry. I hosed up. and pulled a bad.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Still I have to ask, how many stages are left? I think only a couple, but I could be wrong.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

GodofDiscord posted:

Still I have to ask, how many stages are left? I think only a couple, but I could be wrong.

One more stage, three matching stages in space, and six to the end after that.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

Walking out of the theater after seeing Pacific Rim, the literal first words out of my mouth were, "That was probably the 5th best episode of Godannar I've seen."

Well, that's damning with negative praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Wounded Land posted:

Well, that's damning with negative praise.

I don't know what's being insulted, Goddanner or Pacific Rim.

• Locked thread