Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daryl Surat
Apr 6, 2002

I don't care what you say about this post, but if anyone steps on my bunion, I'll kill them!

8bitlawd posted:

Could I get some feedback on this build? http://www.pd2skills.info/profile/enforcetech-1-0/

Main purpose is to be an enforcer with a bit of utility for opening safes and at least capable of helping out on stealth. Any traits that I'm possibly missing out majorly on or I should look to add?

As this is a level 100 build, you probably wouldn't want to bother with Acing Fast Learner. Ace Leadership instead. (I would leave Combat Medic there despite others' advice to the contrary since the extra health granted does help, and the Inspire Aces can't be everywhere.) The benefit of Carbon Blade isn't really all that great, so I'd take that out as well as Tough Guy. I think for your Technician tree, you'd be better off removing all the points from Silent Drilling, Improved Crafting, and Combat Engineer. Nobody ever seems to just hear the drill and be alerted anyway. Ace Blast Radius and Shaped Charges instead, and just take Shockproof basic if you want to make sure a Taser never can eat up all your ammo. Once you're able to bring C4 as well as two ammo bags and carry a saw, and you can answer pagers during stealth? You're more or less useful at all phases of all levels.

Discendo Vox posted:

I can't give much advice on the shooty side, being as terrible at it as I am. With your build, though, it's important to remember that you don't have shinobi. This translates to you never shooting cameras or shooting/meleeing guards on stealth maps, because under many circumstances you'll trigger an alert even if your weapon silenced.

There is basically one scenario I can think of where killing someone with a silenced weapon will still alert someone, and that's killing a guard on the roof of the bank when the security room location is in the back of it.

Daryl Surat fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Have I just never paid attention or does it seem like they upped the number and quality of cops that spawn on bank heists with the last update?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'm kinda sad to find out that the cooking instructions lines all have a fixed ingredient. For example if Bain says: "gently caress me, blabla" you should add HCL.
I thought those things were randomized too and found it interesting that you had to communicate with your team. And there was always that doubt: "did I add the correct one? Will I blow up the lab?"

But now it just gets more...gamey. And I'm probably in the minority, but I like to play the missions. Not rush them all to get max XP in the shortest amount of time just so I can watch a number go up. Just yesterday, I played Ukrainian job without C4. Some pubby joined, complained that I didn't have C4 and then just stared at the drill for 2.5 minutes while I was defending the store alone. Jesus dude, at least play the game a bit.

Oh and another thing: have you guys noticed Vlad really doesn't like that Dimitri guy?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

beedeebee posted:

Oh and another thing: have you guys noticed Vlad really doesn't like that Dimitri guy?

Half of my playtime is in Ukrainian job and four stores, I think you're right :v:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

beedeebee posted:

Maybe he shagged his sister or something.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Discendo Vox posted:

The point is that while Bain will say something different to different players, he will always say one of the lines assigned to the ingredient in question- even if the line gets the ingredient wrong, that line will always refer to the same ingredient. This indicates that it's not a bug, but rather a way to make players communicate. The fact that all the "gently caress me!" lines are paired with HCL also supports this. Players early on thought that this was a bug, before they realized that the targeted lines are consistent. The goal is to simulate Bain screwing up the instructions, but make it so that communicative players, or players who know the game very well, will be able to avoid the negative consequences. Payday 1 was full of bits like this, many of them intentional. In Payday 2, it's one of the few really clever pieces of mission design.

I think this is bad design because it's a non obvious "gotcha" that would take a group of inexperienced players some time to work out and is inconsistent with the rest of the game where audio is reliable. Any group with an inexperienced player has to explain it to them or risk them blowing it up without knowing what they did wrong.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Carecat posted:

I think this is bad design because it's a non obvious "gotcha" that would take a group of inexperienced players some time to work out and is inconsistent with the rest of the game where audio is reliable. Any group with an inexperienced player has to explain it to them or risk them blowing it up without knowing what they did wrong.

I think that's the entire point. You have to co-operate with your fellow heisters. Can't have a good heist without communicating.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Would Ghost and Enforcer be a viable build? I tend to duo most of the time and the only thing we're missing right now is a saw as far as necessary equipment brought as I bring ECM and lockpicking, he brings shaped charges and drill upgrades. I've been moving toward this build: http://www.pd2skills.info/#/profile/saw-a-ghost/

The idea is to be able to bring a saw when necessary for deposit boxes and silenced Locomotive shotgun secondary.

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jan 9, 2014

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

beedeebee posted:

I think that's the entire point. You have to co-operate with your fellow heisters. Can't have a good heist without communicating.

This is not what "cooperating" means in any other aspect of the game. It doesn't even make sense! What in-game explanation or expectation is there for Bain to somehow transmit different messages to his team?

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

Derek Dominoe posted:

This is not what "cooperating" means in any other aspect of the game. It doesn't even make sense! What in-game explanation or expectation is there for Bain to somehow transmit different messages to his team?

I don't know, maybe the fumes from cooking meth has the guys hallucinating different voices n their head? It makes as much sense as you killing 700 cops but getting yelled at if you hit a civilian.

EDIT: or civilians calling the cops if they hear a window break. Or your guy, who's able to throw bags full of coke/cash/weapons, but can only carry 6 zipties.

vvvv This guy explained it better.

shut up blegum fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 9, 2014

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Derek Dominoe posted:

It's a game. There I explained it.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
OR it's a bug that is so low on the priority list that no one cares about fixing it yet.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Maybe, but at this point it may as well be a feature, like someone getting a body bag they can't drop when two people bag the same corpse.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Great Beer posted:

Maybe he shagged his sister or something.

Old country feud, I dunno.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

FishBulb posted:

It's a game. There I explained it.

Derp.

The point is that even within the context of this game, there is no clue, reasoning, or pattern (e.g. similar mechanics in other heists) that would make players recognize or deduce this. It's either a bug or a poorly designed feature.

wilbur.walsh
Jan 3, 2008

Whoaaaat?

Derek Dominoe posted:

It's either a bug or a poorly designed feature.

The whole game is a poorly designed feature. Heh.
The only reason I can imagine why I keep playing after 200h+ is Stockholm syndrome.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Stockholm Syndrome is a terrible ability though.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

FishBulb posted:

Stockholm Syndrome is a terrible ability though.

True.

I've moved on from this game aside from the odd session with friends, but I monitor this thread for the promised level cap raise and/or reports of profound improvements.

Ezzer
Aug 5, 2011

Can you use your offshore money for anything other than buying contracts?

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Admittedly the card system is both terrible and fantastic when it comes to keeping me playing. The idea that I can drop in and play a quick round of Mallcrashers or Jewelry store for a card run keeps even the easy maps worth playing because goddammit I want weapon mods.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Thompsons posted:

Have I just never paid attention or does it seem like they upped the number and quality of cops that spawn on bank heists with the last update?

Definitely. Specials seem to spawn far more often and quickly, even on Hard or Very Hard difficulties. We did a Very Hard mission the other day with an escape portion and the opening sequence had two shields and three tasers coming at us amongst other things. Dozers seem to show up far earlier now too.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I love aced Iron Man. Meleeing Shields and then blasting them with a Loco is a great "gently caress you" feeling. It's like in Dark Souls the first time you flatten those snakeman motherfuckers with an ultra greatsword and bust out laughing. :allears:

Jim DiGriz
Apr 28, 2008

Maybe there is no room for guys like us.
Grimey Drawer

Shine posted:

I love aced Iron Man.

Well, I never

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Derek Dominoe posted:

True.

I've moved on from this game aside from the odd session with friends, but I monitor this thread for the promised level cap raise and/or reports of profound improvements.

Same here, I'm not playing much lately due to BF4 (oh my) and my Steam backlog clearing duty. Armored Transport is cool but didn't hook me fully again and have yet to play the CSGO heist. I also blame that I can't play on weekends since I only have a 360 with Forza Horizon and Diablo 3 on my other house until I build a second PC (made parts I'll replace from my main cumputer) there.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

FadedReality posted:

Would Ghost and Enforcer be a viable build? I tend to duo most of the time and the only thing we're missing right now is a saw as far as necessary equipment brought as I bring ECM and lockpicking, he brings shaped charges and drill upgrades. I've been moving toward this build: http://www.pd2skills.info/#/profile/saw-a-ghost/

The idea is to be able to bring a saw when necessary for deposit boxes and silenced Locomotive shotgun secondary.

Ghostforcer is awesome, but you put an unnecessary amount of points into the saw and didn't pick up overkill so there's some improvements to be made. If you don't want to get rid of either ECM doorbusting or lockpicking then I'd go with something like this. Otherwise I'd drop one of them and grab aced Iron Man.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Sockerbagarn posted:

Ghostforcer is awesome, but you put an unnecessary amount of points into the saw and didn't pick up overkill so there's some improvements to be made. If you don't want to get rid of either ECM doorbusting or lockpicking then I'd go with something like this. Otherwise I'd drop one of them and grab aced Iron Man.

I've since realized how friggin loud the saw is and I have no idea why I didn't think of it beforehand. As I'm usually stealthing, alerting a whole building that I am now sawing through some deposit boxes is a no go. I do want to try it when I'm closer to 100 and have cash to afford the respecs.

I could drop lockpicking and work on refining my ECM rushing skills because that shield bash looks amazing.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
How do I dismiss all the popups for the assets like Plan A / B?

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
Where's the goon group for this? I haven't been able to find it in this thread.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

cptInsane0 posted:

Where's the goon group for this? I haven't been able to find it in this thread.

In the OP, silly. Control-F, "steam group."

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You might have more luck hanging in the mumble. Honestly I know we poo poo on pubbies pretty generally but I've made a lot of steam friends from public play.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

How do I dismiss all the popups for the assets like Plan A / B?

You're supposed to be able to just click outside of them on the main interface and they should go away, but sometimes they just like to hang there for a while and don't go away until... who-knows-why.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think it's a glitch that happens if you look at an asset photo before everyone else has loaded in.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Acquire Currency! posted:

You might have more luck hanging in the mumble. Honestly I know we poo poo on pubbies pretty generally but I've made a lot of steam friends from public play.

Just did a very good Overkill Firestarter with some pubbies.
Highlight was stealthing Day 3, locking down the bank and taking our time picking the deposit boxes by hand cause no one had a saw. :v:

In no particular order, the security guards, bank manager, civis from the street, bank tellers and whoever else we couldn't cable tie.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

taking our time picking the deposit boxes by hand cause no one had a saw. :v:

:suicide:

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

MariusLecter posted:

Just did a very good Overkill Firestarter with some pubbies.
Highlight was stealthing Day 3, locking down the bank and taking our time picking the deposit boxes by hand cause no one had a saw. :v:

In no particular order, the security guards, bank manager, civis from the street, bank tellers and whoever else we couldn't cable tie.

You're supposed to bag the ones you are able to cable tie as well.

:colbert: No witnesses. Ever.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

No better way to spend a week.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shima Honnou posted:

It only takes like an hour.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Speaking of Firestarter, me n' Faded stealthed Firestarter Day 1 for the first time last night and it was probably the most satisfying thing I've done in this game to date. Killing the final four gangers in the hangar was something straight out of a goddamned navy seal movie. I was so loving jacked. Also, it's pretty funny how the dialog for Bain doesn't seem to respond to the fact that you've stealthed the mission. I don't think they released it thinking it could be done.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Naky posted:

Speaking of Firestarter, me n' Faded stealthed Firestarter Day 1 for the first time last night and it was probably the most satisfying thing I've done in this game to date. Killing the final four gangers in the hangar was something straight out of a goddamned navy seal movie. I was so loving jacked. Also, it's pretty funny how the dialog for Bain doesn't seem to respond to the fact that you've stealthed the mission. I don't think they released it thinking it could be done.

I've never ever stealthed Day 1 or 2 and I've got like 220 hours in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shima Honnou posted:

Me and my friends stealth the bank now and then. We spend the time in the vaults just making jokes about cheese toasties, and being sad that the game no longer spawns cheese toasties for us.

Of course, stealthing the bank, even the firestarter bank, is nowhere near as rewarding as doing a full stealth clear of the Armored Transport train on Overkill.

• Locked thread