Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GrizzlyCow posted:

For the mobile non-"-Q" suffix processors, the only difference between an i3, i5, and i7 is the clock speed and TDP. They're all dual-core solutions with hyperthreading, and they all come with your pick of HD4000, HD4600, HD5000, or Iris 5100 integrated graphics. Same feature set between them. Compare the i5-4350U and i7-4650U. The only difference between them is power usage and performance. Even their features are the same.

Just because they all meet a basic minimum standard feature set has zero bearing on which die was used to create them. Just because AMD processors support VT-x, VT-d and SSE2 doesn't mean they were cast in an Intel foundry and are secretly Sandybridge processors

The mobile processors have different GPUs, different amounts of L3 cache, etc. GPUs and in particular L3 Cache takes up a huge amount of space on the die, which cuts in to profitability. You're suggesting that Intel cooks up millions of batches of mobile i7 HD5200 8MB L3 Cache processors, then disables many features, just burning up extra product and profit margin? The i3 with 3MB L3 cache is going to have somewhere in the neighborhood of half the die size of an 8mb i7. And they charge a lot less for it. I'm not sure what you're saying coincides with business logic. A quick google seems to yield that there's at least three different die sizes for haswell mobile, not including ulv models.

Now I don't disagree that they're largely similar to the end user in terms of experience but you're going to have to do more than point me towards a wikipedia page, wave your hand limply and say "it's probably in there, somewhere" before I take your word for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Hadlock posted:

Just because they all meet a basic minimum standard feature set has zero bearing on which die was used to create them. Just because AMD processors support VT-x, VT-d and SSE2 doesn't mean they were cast in an Intel foundry and are secretly Sandybridge processors

The mobile processors have different GPUs, different amounts of L3 cache, etc. GPUs and in particular L3 Cache takes up a huge amount of space on the die, which cuts in to profitability. You're suggesting that Intel cooks up millions of batches of mobile i7 HD5200 8MB L3 Cache processors, then disables many features, just burning up extra product and profit margin? The i3 with 3MB L3 cache is going to have somewhere in the neighborhood of half the die size of an 8mb i7. And they charge a lot less for it. I'm not sure what you're saying coincides with business logic. A quick google seems to yield that there's at least three different die sizes for haswell mobile, not including ulv models.

What are you talking about? All non-"-Q" Core processors have 3MB or 4MB of L3 cache.

And of course they cook them up the same and disable features, or bin them by features. It would cost them more money to make a zillion different types of chips. It's not like they'd save money by only trying to put 3MB of L3 cache on the same area of silicon.

Edit: Please stop derailing the conversation under some wild cloud of ignorance. We are talking about this:

Hadlock posted:

Citation needed :confused: are you saying that the i7 is just an i5 that is binned higher?

in response to this:

sports posted:

Just the RAM upgrade is fine. The i7 is the same die as an i5 with less defects. The i5 is still really good.

which refers to the specific CPU models seen here:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/75114,75028

shrughes fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jan 8, 2014

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

How good or bad are USB3 docks? There's several people at work now that want ultrabooks (fair enough, they carry them around enough to justify it) and also want to be able to dock them at their desk. A classic docking station would be perfect, but apparently that's not a common feature for ultrabooks.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 8, 2014

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland

Computer viking posted:

How good or bad are USB3 docks? There's several people at work now that want ultrabooks (fair enough, they carry them around enough to justify it) and also want to be able to dock them at their desk. A classic docking station would be perfect, but apparently that's not a common feature for ultrabooks.

We use them at work and the displaylink ones for the dell 6430u are the worst port replicators i've ever come across. images freeze, driver constantly crashes, etc.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Lovely - that was exactly what I feared.

Are there any reasonable haswell laptops around 13.3" and preferably under ~1.6 kg/3.5 lbs that come with docking connectors?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Computer viking posted:

Lovely - that was exactly what I feared.

Are there any reasonable haswell laptops around 13.3" and preferably under ~1.6 kg/3.5 lbs that come with docking connectors?

Dell's Latitude 7000 series should fit the bill. No 13.3", but you can do 12" or 14" so that's close.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Don't the thinkpad X240's also have docking connectors? They're pretty close to that size as well.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Tom Guycot posted:

Don't the thinkpad X240's also have docking connectors? They're pretty close to that size as well.

Yes.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."
I picked up an Alienware 14 R1 from the Dell Outlet for $801 after coupon last week. It has an i5-4200M, GeForce 750M and the lovely 720p screen. It seems pretty nice, but a key immediately fell off of the keyboard after using it for 5 minutes. I'm not thrilled with that, and the screen is pretty bad. After hearing about the 1080p screen being a huge upgrade, here are my options:

-Get the keyboard fixed and deal with a crappy screen. I doubt the 750M holds up very well at 1080p anyhow, but IPS would be nice.
-Return it, buy a new one with the 1080p screen (costs at least $150 more, probably $350 more since Dell won't honor old coupons on returns)
-Buy a Lenovo y510p or something for about the same amount of money. I like the sturdy, solid feel of the Alienware and I'm scared I'll end up with flimsy junk buying something around $800.

I want a small-ish gaming laptop to replace my Asus G73, since that thing is way too big to take anywhere. I'm not dying to spend over $1000, so I have a feeling the Alienware 14 with the 720p screen is the best I'm going to get. Since I'm not a laptop expert, I just wanted to pop in and verify that I'm not being an idiot.

(or with 1080p screen)

Ragehaver fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 8, 2014

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
I'd return it. The crappy screen isn't worth dealing with, unless all you ever do with the device is play games.

A Lenovo Y510p or Y410p is pretty good, not complete flimsy junk, but note that the Alienware has a much nicer 1080p screen than what you'll see on either Lenovo.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Ragehaver posted:

I picked up an Alienware 14 R1 from the Dell Outlet for $801 after coupon last week. It has an i5-4200M, GeForce 750M and the lovely 720p screen. It seems pretty nice, but a key immediately fell off of the keyboard after using it for 5 minutes. I'm not thrilled with that, and the screen is pretty bad. After hearing about the 1080p screen being a huge upgrade, here are my options:

-Get the keyboard fixed and deal with a crappy screen. I doubt the 750M holds up very well at 1080p anyhow, but IPS would be nice.
-Return it, buy a new one with the 1080p screen (costs at least $150 more, probably $350 more since Dell won't honor old coupons on returns)
-Buy a Lenovo y510p or something for about the same amount of money. I like the sturdy, solid feel of the Alienware and I'm scared I'll end up with flimsy junk buying something around $800.

I want a small-ish gaming laptop to replace my Asus G73, since that thing is way too big to take anywhere. I'm not dying to spend over $1000, so I have a feeling the Alienware 14 with the 720p screen is the best I'm going to get. Since I'm not a laptop expert, I just wanted to pop in and verify that I'm not being an idiot.

(or with 1080p screen)

Throw money at a decent desktop and get a Chromebook.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

"Though I often smell of excrement, I deserve your respect because I provide a valuable service."

sports posted:

Throw money at a decent desktop and get a Chromebook.

I have a nice desktop already. It's just nice to have something with a little power when visiting the parents or traveling. I don't need to play Crysis, but it doesn't hurt to be able to hop on to Steam and play a game or two in the downtime. It's right on the border of where an Intel HD 5000 would be ok, but there are a couple games (the girlfriend plays Second Life once in a while) which won't really work with that.

Ragehaver fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 8, 2014

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Just buy the 1080p model and run at a lower resolution if necessary. Sure the scaling isn't perfect but for gaming use I'd say it'd still look better than a cruddy 1366x768 display at its native resolution.

Ragehaver
Jul 27, 2001

dissss posted:

Just buy the 1080p model and run at a lower resolution if necessary. Sure the scaling isn't perfect but for gaming use I'd say it'd still look better than a cruddy 1366x768 display at its native resolution.

Yeah, it's incredibly crummy for a 2013 laptop. I was blown away that this is what counts as acceptable these days. Just having a hard time swallowing that it's a $400 upgrade due to their crappy coupon policy.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Hadlock posted:

Now I don't disagree that they're largely similar to the end user in terms of experience but you're going to have to do more than point me towards a wikipedia page, wave your hand limply and say "it's probably in there, somewhere" before I take your word for it.

You've misunderstand me. I was saying that the only difference between the i5, and i7 (and comparable models within these lines which I didn't think I'd have to specify but whatever) non"-Q" suffix are performance (clock speed and turbo cap) and power consumption (TDP and SDP). I was wrong. Turns out that i7 has an extra megabyte of L3 Cache that I didn't catch immediately, so that non"-Q" i7 (-U,-Y,and -M) have 4MB of L3 cache instead of the 3MB of L3 cache of the i5, and i3 incidentally, (-U,-Y,-M,-E, and -H) processors.

I don't know why you even mentioned the Iris Pro 5200 when I explicitly only referred to processors equipped with Intel HD 4000, HD 4600, HD 5000, and HD 5100. (Forgot that HD 4200 and HD 4400 were even a thing, though.)

I was not trying to compare an i5 equipped with a HD4600 to an i7 equipped with a HD4400 but rather an i5 and i7 with the same iGPU and the same suffix. You can look for yourself. Other than that 1MB L3 cache difference that I overlooked, the difference between a comparable (with the same suffix and the same iGPU) i5 and i7 is only of one of clock speeds and TDP. Generally, the i7 will just have a higher base clock and max turbo frequency (and a high SDP in case of -Y variants). I wasn't trying to compare the Quadcore (-Q) or Extreme (-X) i7s with the i5s; the i5s just don't possess an analogue to them.

I was just trying to present some information that I thought was pertinent to the discussion. I overlooked the L3 Cache difference among the dual-core processors, but me possibly overlooking stuff is why I linked to Wikipedia which is a nice resource since they link to Intel's pages for the processors. You could look at the data and decide for yourself.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Ragehaver posted:

Yeah, it's incredibly crummy for a 2013 laptop. I was blown away that this is what counts as acceptable these days. Just having a hard time swallowing that it's a $400 upgrade due to their crappy coupon policy.

Look into the Acer V7. It's not amazing, and the Y410 is probably better if you can stand the red keys, but it's at least 1080p (with a touchscreen if that matters to you).

It's not complete poo poo like most of Acer's laptops, but no one will mistake it for a macbook.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

GrizzlyCow posted:

You've misunderstand me. I was saying that the only difference between the i5, and i7 (and comparable models within these lines which I didn't think I'd have to specify but whatever) non"-Q" suffix are performance (clock speed and turbo cap) and power consumption (TDP and SDP). I was wrong. Turns out that i7 has an extra megabyte of L3 Cache that I didn't catch immediately, so that non"-Q" i7 (-U,-Y,and -M) have 4MB of L3 cache instead of the 3MB of L3 cache of the i5, and i3 incidentally, (-U,-Y,-M,-E, and -H) processors.

L3 cache falls under the category of "performance" and it happens when take a 4MB cache with defects and just turn off some banks -- now you've got a 3MB cache.

GrizzlyCow posted:

I don't know why you even mentioned the Iris Pro 5200 when I explicitly only referred to processors equipped with Intel HD 4000, HD 4600, HD 5000, and HD 5100. (Forgot that HD 4200 and HD 4400 were even a thing, though.)

I was not trying to compare an i5 equipped with a HD4600 to an i7 equipped with a HD4400 but rather an i5 and i7 with the same iGPU and the same suffix. You can look for yourself. Other than that 1MB L3 cache difference that I overlooked, the difference between a comparable (with the same suffix and the same iGPU) i5 and i7 is only of one of clock speeds and TDP. Generally, the i7 will just have a higher base clock and max turbo frequency (and a high SDP in case of -Y variants). I wasn't trying to compare the Quadcore (-Q) or Extreme (-X) i7s with the i5s; the i5s just don't possess an analogue to them.

All these HD4400 and HD4600 and HD4200 things are all the same GPU (GT2), clocked differently. HD 5xxx (GT3) have more execution units, and they're all made with an extra execution unit in case one comes out defective.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I'm going to buy an adaptor to replace my optical drive with a second HDD in my T430. Is there anything I should look for, or would this be fine?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
That looks like it would be fine.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-HP-ZBook-15-Workstation.108229.0.html

Quad core good
IPS FHD panel good
Solid build good

and then they use a slow dGPU with a castrated 64 bit memory bus even though its DDR5...loving retarded.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
The ZBook 15 does have K1100M and K2100M configurations, or at least they say they do.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ragehaver posted:

I have a nice desktop already. It's just nice to have something with a little power when visiting the parents or traveling. I don't need to play Crysis, but it doesn't hurt to be able to hop on to Steam and play a game or two in the downtime. It's right on the border of where an Intel HD 5000 would be ok, but there are a couple games (the girlfriend plays Second Life once in a while) which won't really work with that.

An HD 5000 should let you do all of those things, so I guess problem solved, go buy an integrated graphics laptop?

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
Welp, the battery finally crapped out on my trusty Inspiron 1300. I've been meaning to replace that machine for a while, so maybe this is a good time.

My dream list of features is something like: durable, long battery life, great wireless performance, no wider than 14.5", no deeper than 10.5", no thicker than 1.75", not much more expensive than $1300. My expected usage is mostly Chrome/MS Office/Ableton. An SSD would be great, but not if it makes the thing super-expensive. 4 USB ports would be ideal. No optical drive or touchscreen necessary. I don't really care about weight, as long as the thing's rigidity is up to the task of supporting whatever its weight is. I'm kind of looking at the ThinkPad T440s Ultrabook with 256GB SSD, which is pretty close to what I want, but not perfect. The T540p is also pretty close if I customize it a little. Any thoughts folks have to offer would be much appreciated.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
The T440p seems somewhat in the middle of the T440s and T540p.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

shrughes posted:

The T440p seems somewhat in the middle of the T440s and T540p.

Customizing one now to check it out. How fast are prices coming down now on SSDs? Bumping it up from a 500GB hard drive to a 256GB SSD feels a bit pricey at $320, so I'm thinking of getting a hard drive now and upgrading later.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

ejstheman posted:

Customizing one now to check it out. How fast are prices coming down now on SSDs? Bumping it up from a 500GB hard drive to a 256GB SSD feels a bit pricey at $320, so I'm thinking of getting a hard drive now and upgrading later.

Getting a hard drive and upgrading on your own is definitely cheaper (valuing your time at $0) and the thing I would do. Getting a fresh Windows install with no crapware would make it half worth it, if you're a Windows user.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

weziman posted:

Got an email this morning from Lenovo announcing the W540 (US) - this is how they decided to advertise it in the flyer:

It's me.

I'm the one guy on earth who still laughs at every one of these "doge" meme things.

:shobon:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You're not even close to be alone there. Bring on more doge I say.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Even better that they pulled it out for their high end, professional mobile workstation platform rather than some pleb plastic shitheap.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They probably should have lined it up so it said "So much wow" vertically or something.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

At least they nailed like 75% of the meme structure. Some companies make a real mess out of it.

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!
What if they weren't going for doge, but had their newest Chinese to English translating intern on the job?

vty fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jan 9, 2014

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

shrughes posted:

Getting a hard drive and upgrading on your own is definitely cheaper (valuing your time at $0) and the thing I would do. Getting a fresh Windows install with no crapware would make it half worth it, if you're a Windows user.

Agreed. I wish OEMs didn't load new machines with worthless garbage.

I found this based on the OP of the SSD thread: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE250BW/dp/B00E3W1726

That should work, right? I haven't built any computers for a while, so I'm a little concerned about getting the right thing. I assume a ThinkPad will support TRIM, so I don't have to get the more-expensive Intel 530 one: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-240GB-2-5-Inch-Internal-SSDSC2BW240A401/dp/B00DTPYSEM ?

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
I can't remember who had one of the 14" Acer V7s, but I had a quick question for you-- was the one you bought from Amazon the one with 12GB RAM and a 1TB HD for around $850? The price there has gone back up to around $950 for the 8GB RAM/500GB HD configuration, and now I'm not sure the better screen and slimmer, lighter profile are worth $140 premium over a Y410p, especially since that has an i7. Luckily it's not like I'm in a huge hurry, so I can afford to wait a bit to see if either the price drops or the beefier config shows up again *somewhere*.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ejstheman posted:

I assume a ThinkPad will support TRIM
It's your operating system that needs to support TRIM. This isn't as evident on OSX and maybe some Linux flavors or something, but if you're going with a modern-ish Windows on hardware you can connect the drive to (ie. has SATA) then you're going to be fine as far as that's concerned..

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ejstheman posted:

Agreed. I wish OEMs didn't load new machines with worthless garbage.

I found this based on the OP of the SSD thread: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-EVO-Series-2-5-Inch-MZ-7TE250BW/dp/B00E3W1726

That should work, right? I haven't built any computers for a while, so I'm a little concerned about getting the right thing. I assume a ThinkPad will support TRIM, so I don't have to get the more-expensive Intel 530 one: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-240GB-2-5-Inch-Internal-SSDSC2BW240A401/dp/B00DTPYSEM ?
The upside of the garbage is that it lowers the price of the laptop. If you're just going to wipe it by swapping a HDD anyway, you might as well get a discount, 'eh?

That SSD will work perfectly fine, and is one of the better ones available right now.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I think my new Lenovo Ideapad y410p is a lemon :saddowns:

It worked fine for the first two days, but since then things like starting up and during down take 45+ minutes, it's ridiculous. I only installed a handful of Steam games, VLC, and a Citrix app I use for work. After that it started slowing down so I did a system restore, but it's just getting worse and I haven't installed anything since the restore.

Anyone else have an experience like this? I'm thinking it's the HDD, it makes a fairly loud "clunk ... clunk" when it turns on from a cold start., but for all I know that's normal. I also have a Windows 7 disk I could try, there it's an insane amount of bloatware "apps" (:jerkbag:) that came with it, but I don't want to do anything that would void a warranty.

Anyone have any thoughts? I didn't want to make a HOTS thread just yet but I will if someone thinks it works help.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Chard posted:

I think my new Lenovo Ideapad y410p is a lemon :saddowns:

It worked fine for the first two days, but since then things like starting up and during down take 45+ minutes, it's ridiculous. I only installed a handful of Steam games, VLC, and a Citrix app I use for work. After that it started slowing down so I did a system restore, but it's just getting worse and I haven't installed anything since the restore.

Anyone else have an experience like this? I'm thinking it's the HDD, it makes a fairly loud "clunk ... clunk" when it turns on from a cold start., but for all I know that's normal. I also have a Windows 7 disk I could try, there it's an insane amount of bloatware "apps" (:jerkbag:) that came with it, but I don't want to do anything that would void a warranty.

Anyone have any thoughts? I didn't want to make a HOTS thread just yet but I will if someone thinks it works help.

Sounds like the HD is busted.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

drat, I was hopping I was missing something else. Guess it's time for a return.

For the record, I'll never buy from Lenovo again. I went through a loving nightmare with their shipping just to get this broken thing, now I have to do it all over again, twice. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srebrenica Surprise
Aug 23, 2008

"L-O-V-E's just another word I never learned to pronounce."

babydonthurtme posted:

I can't remember who had one of the 14" Acer V7s, but I had a quick question for you-- was the one you bought from Amazon the one with 12GB RAM and a 1TB HD for around $850? The price there has gone back up to around $950 for the 8GB RAM/500GB HD configuration, and now I'm not sure the better screen and slimmer, lighter profile are worth $140 premium over a Y410p, especially since that has an i7. Luckily it's not like I'm in a huge hurry, so I can afford to wait a bit to see if either the price drops or the beefier config shows up again *somewhere*.
No, the higher-end one carried a $100 premium that I couldn't really justify, the i5/500GB/8GB was $820 or so. I'm probably putting an SSD in it (but not sure about this as the 24GB cache drive is way faster than I thought), and the i7 isn't anything other than a 0.4ghz clock speed difference, so it wasn't important to me. The quad-core in the 410p was similar - the i5-4200 has been more than sufficient for everything I've ever wanted to do with it, and I don't feel like I'm going to get CPU-bound in the future. You're going from a 15W TDP CPU to a 47W platform, and people have had to gently caress around with underclocking to try to save battery life. I still think I'd take it over a Y410p, battery life is really good, gaming performance is fine and any place I actually want a laptop, I'd rather have something more portable.