Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geoj posted:

content:

Watched this guy park his bro truck (he ran his front/driver wheel across the island and still managed to park like that), and then he and his girlfriend were bitching on their way into the store about how "some people don't know how to park" after she had trouble getting out of the passenger side.

Well yeah man, that jeep is like... four inches closer to their side of its space than the other. It's the jeep's fault, clearly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wow, those lovely drivers and lovely vehicles deserve to be stuck with each other.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

BlackMK4 posted:

It sucks when I park my motorcycle in the middle of a spot and I come out to find someone parked half way into my spot... it sucks further when I stand the bike up to get it out of the spot and my metal bar end weights gouge their doors.

I feel you, dude

I had parked to the left of a now-absent car, and was only inside for about 5 minutes.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Geoj posted:

Watched this guy park his bro truck (he ran his front/driver wheel across the island and still managed to park like that), and then he and his girlfriend were bitching on their way into the store about how "some people don't know how to park" after she had trouble getting out of the passenger side.stuf

I've got a Suburban, I know the pain of parking stuff like that. Solution: If there's just a single parking spot with a car or curb on both sides, I just back in. I'm pretty good at judging where the back end is, and the mirrors work fine so it's really not difficult and doesn't involve hopping curbs or pushing cars out of the way.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I work for an auto parts store part time, and no matter where I park, some asshat will always work on his shitheap next to my truck. ALL the other spots are empty, and you had to pull in next to me and start replacing your thermostat in the lot. :wtc:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kuffs posted:

I feel you, dude

I had parked to the left of a now-absent car, and was only inside for about 5 minutes.

This is amazing. Amazing that the Toyota owner hasn't stabbed themselves to death with their own fingers yet.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Friar Zucchini posted:

I've got a Suburban, I know the pain of parking stuff like that. Solution: If there's just a single parking spot with a car or curb on both sides, I just back in. I'm pretty good at judging where the back end is, and the mirrors work fine so it's really not difficult and doesn't involve hopping curbs or pushing cars out of the way.

If you're driving an SUV or truck and not backing into parking spots the majority of the time, you're probably doing it wrong. Or cars, for that matter. Backing in is just so much easier and safer once you get used to it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

If you're driving an SUV or truck and not backing into parking spots the majority of the time, you're probably doing it wrong. Or cars, for that matter. Backing in is just so much easier and safer once you get used to it.

Tell that to the clowns I call co-workers who back in every single day, and end up at some random angle that is in no way parallel with the parking lines. You'd think they'd get better at it over time.. but nope.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

xzzy posted:

Tell that to the clowns I call co-workers who back in every single day, and end up at some random angle that is in no way parallel with the parking lines. You'd think they'd get better at it over time.. but nope.

I hate to break it to you, but they'd probably end up crooked pulling in normally too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

Yeah my dad always taught me that the first motion of any truck should always be forward. Whenever I drive a truck, I back in. I try to back in with a car as well when it's convenient because it greatly reduces my stress leaving a crowded lot.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

PT6A posted:

Good luck doing that in a cramped lot with angled parking spots, especially when an impatient soccer mom is inches off of your bumper.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

The utility company I interned with preached backing into your spot, saying you were something like 75% less likely to get into an accident pulling forward out of your spot. If you were driving a company vehicle, it was required, and if you were a passenger, you were required to get out and guide the driver in. It was actually pretty nice to see most of the cars in a lot facing out.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Backing out allows a tighter turning circle and requires less linear motion for a greater angle change, similar to why a forklift has the turning wheels on the back. Combine this with a bed that can extend feet past the rear axle and pulling out forward in a cramped lot can result in a bad time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EightBit posted:

Good luck doing that in a cramped lot with angled parking spots, especially when an impatient soccer mom is inches off of your bumper.

Oh yeah, it's certainly not possible everywhere (city parking lots here in Calgary don't let you back in because they use an automatic plate-checker car and we don't have front plates), but it's good to do it where it is possible.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

PT6A posted:

Bikes on the other hand you better be ready to provide video evidence

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

EightBit posted:

God, people who do this. Especially on the street. I indicate reeaaaal early, slow down gently, hug the roadside a bit more, and generally do everything to shout "Hey, rear end in a top hat, I'm stopping here!", and they still get right up my arse - and then get pissed off when I stop, and they don't have enough distance ahead of them to pull out easily. I even sometimes pull over to the side to let people pass before I reach my house, so I can back in without inconveniencing anyone (I live near the end of the street, people think my indicator for pulling into my drive is an early indicator for the junction ahead), and they still loving do it. And then they sit there like some kind of beached whale as it takes them a distinct amount of time to realise I have stopped. I was stopping, and now I have stopped. I am not moving. Forward motion has ceased. I am, in fact, parked.

:argh: in general.

Geirskogul posted:

Backing out allows a tighter turning circle and requires less linear motion for a greater angle change, similar to why a forklift has the turning wheels on the back. Combine this with a bed that can extend feet past the rear axle and pulling out forward in a cramped lot can result in a bad time.
Hmm, I disagree here. You're right about the "rear wheel steering" for maneuverability, but I find the limitation is that there's not sufficient room side-to-side for the swingout in order to do it neatly, and that compounds the problem of not having great visibility for people driving past. It depends on the dimensions of what you're driving.

Of course, pulling in forwards means the back's clear to you can open it and put your shopping in...

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
That's a Brotruck?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

InterceptorV8 posted:

That's a Brotruck?

It had a lift kit and the guy was definitely a bro so...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

God, people who do this. Especially on the street. I indicate reeaaaal early, slow down gently, hug the roadside a bit more, and generally do everything to shout "Hey, rear end in a top hat, I'm stopping here!", and they still get right up my arse - and then get pissed off when I stop, and they don't have enough distance ahead of them to pull out easily. I even sometimes pull over to the side to let people pass before I reach my house, so I can back in without inconveniencing anyone (I live near the end of the street, people think my indicator for pulling into my drive is an early indicator for the junction ahead), and they still loving do it.

There will always, always, always be someone to crawl right up your tailpipe when you want to take your time parking/navigating a tight spot/looking for the right address/at the drivethrough atm. It doesn't matter if the lot is absolutely quiet and it's 2 in the morning. Soon as you slow down, boom. "I'm waiiiitiiiing." Heck, sometimes I've been that guy. Though I try not to be since I know what it feels like.

drzrma
Dec 29, 2008

Snowdens Secret posted:

Bikes on the other hand you better be ready to provide video evidence

Hopefully nobody has video evidence of the one time I failed to back in to a downhill facing parking spot. In my defense it was the first week with my first bike. Haven't made that mistake again.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

InterceptorV8 posted:

That's a Brotruck?

Lets just pretend it had those awful XD rims with the stars in the middle.

Saw someone driving on a flat on the passenger rear tire today for about 6 blocks, I forgave them somewhat because I have the same Saturn SL2 and have had a flat there and didn't notice for a while. Of course I grimaced when she got on I-70.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Caught this last night. Running a red light. More than one car. In the rain. It's not like it's a super short yellow and they were surprised by it. They just decided they were in a bigger hurry than anyone else. I'm guessing they wanted to get to that new In-n-Out across the freeway before they sold out of burgers or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72R-pYMJGAs

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm betting car #2 was on mental cruise control on the SUV's bumper. They probably didn't even notice that there was a light.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
So its okay for cars to blow lights and stopsigns on a regular basis but cyclists can't? Please explain.

also: No wonder why I was hit here in Sept. God drat the drivers are terrible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

So its okay for cars to blow lights and stopsigns on a regular basis but cyclists can't? Please explain.

The rule of thumb for most people using the transportation infrastructure is "the rules apply to everyone except me."

Once you keep that in mind so much of this idiocy starts to make sense.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

No, it's lovely for either cars or cyclists to blow stop signs and red lights and I don't think anyone here has said or implied otherwise. I think all Disgruntled Bovine was pointing out was that in all likelihood, the second driver was a terrible driver because they weren't paying adequate attention, not because they were overly impatient.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
My incident was separate. sorry. Twice today people ran a stop sign while I was out cycling. they were throwing their hands up like *I* was the one at fault. I'm in the travel lane with the right of way which is also a dedicated cycle lane.

Yesterday I saw 5-6 motorists blow a light with no fucks given. *light goes red* people don't even bother to slow down.

Pasadena: third world edition.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
On the subject of how long yellows are, it does irritate me that the timings they put on them on faster roads aren't always sufficient to allow for the official minimum stopping distances in the highway code. I would get a certain amount of satisfaction if someone was able to contest a ticket for running a red on the basis that they were doing the speed limit (because hey, isn't that all that matters for safety?) and it is self-evidently, by their own figures, physically impossible for them to stop in the time given.

Of course, those stopping distances are nowhere near accurate, so it's not actually a problem, and you can stop, but inaccurate information is worse than none, and they should update the figures to reflect cars with disc brakes.

cursedshitbox: You know what's quite satisfying? Yelling abuse at cyclists who run reds when you are also on a bike and have stopped like you're supposed to.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I was driving to chicago a couple weeks ago, and when i drive across the country i try to stay behind a dozen or so meters behind cars that are going the same speed i am cause, y'know, drafting. I'll take any extra mpg i can get.

Except one dude in a mustang decided that no, it's HIS slipstream. Nobody gets to slipstream his mustang. And so he switched lanes and pegged it hard. Mustangs :allears:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

InitialDave posted:

cursedshitbox: You know what's quite satisfying? Yelling abuse at cyclists who run reds when you are also on a bike and have stopped like you're supposed to.

I like this idea.

It was also really amusing to me that I kept up with a X5 owner driving like a total rear end in a top hat.
He got hit by every. friggin. light.

Light goes green, he goes into full attack mode zipping around everybody, only to get hit by the next light. and I casually pull up beside him.....On a bicycle. :v:

E: Light timers: I've seen em vary anywhere between 3-6 seconds. if there is a camera its towards the longer end of the spectrum.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 9, 2014

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InitialDave posted:

On the subject of how long yellows are, it does irritate me that the timings they put on them on faster roads aren't always sufficient to allow for the official minimum stopping distances in the highway code. I would get a certain amount of satisfaction if someone was able to contest a ticket for running a red on the basis that they were doing the speed limit (because hey, isn't that all that matters for safety?) and it is self-evidently, by their own figures, physically impossible for them to stop in the time given.

There's actually a growing trend of people contesting tickets for precisely that reason. There are published standards documenting how long a yellow light should be to allow the intersection to safely clear, and demonstrating that an intersection is shorter than the recommended interval has a good chance of getting a judge to throw out the ticket. I'm unclear on the specifics but I think finding intersections that do not meet specifications can put cities in danger of losing funding, so they'll even fix the light timing if you point it out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

There's actually a growing trend of people contesting tickets for precisely that reason. There are published standards documenting how long a yellow light should be to allow the intersection to safely clear, and demonstrating that an intersection is shorter than the recommended interval has a good chance of getting a judge to throw out the ticket. I'm unclear on the specifics but I think finding intersections that do not meet specifications can put cities in danger of losing funding, so they'll even fix the light timing if you point it out.
I'm in the UK. I can pretty much promise that the outcome would be a combination of "Hah", "gently caress" and "You" followed by a doubling of the fine.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nigga crab pollock posted:

I was driving to chicago a couple weeks ago, and when i drive across the country i try to stay behind a dozen or so meters behind cars that are going the same speed i am cause, y'know, drafting. I'll take any extra mpg i can get.

Except one dude in a mustang decided that no, it's HIS slipstream. Nobody gets to slipstream his mustang. And so he switched lanes and pegged it hard. Mustangs :allears:
Don't tailgate, dickweed.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
"dozen or so meters" is over 30 feet away :confused:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

"dozen or so meters" is over 30 feet away :confused:
... And you think that's a safe following distance at speeds where drafting could conceivably net a few mpg?

So I used a colloquialism rather than saying "don't follow too close". :rolleyes:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

65 mph (which is the max speed limit in Illinois) comes out to 95 feet per second. So if you're 30 feet behind a car and something happens, you have less than third of a second to identify the problem and react before you collide with them.

Estimates for average human reaction time for applying the brakes start around 0.5 seconds.

So congratulations, you just became part of a pileup.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
A dozen meters is 40 feet or so, which works out to about 2 car lengths I guess? That doesn't seem like a ridiculously close following distance to me on the highway, especially if you're paying attention to more than just the car in front of you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

rscott posted:

A dozen meters is 40 feet or so, which works out to about 2 car lengths I guess? That doesn't seem like a ridiculously close following distance to me on the highway, especially if you're paying attention to more than just the car in front of you.

That's only because people have trained themselves to believe a 2 car gap is sufficient. It's the "well nothing's gone wrong in the past, why would it go wrong in the future?" fallacy.

In any actual emergency situation it's not nearly enough to react properly at highway speeds.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Let me guess - you're one of those people who starts slowing waaaay down/brake checking anyone who's following closer than a quarter mile behind you?

Also, the "1 car length per 10 MPH of speed" adage is from a bygone era when there weren't as many cars on the road and brake pad/shoe compound made the ability to stop even in ideal conditions questionable at best.

I'll agree that following at 40' at highway speed is probably way too close for your average texting while putting on makeup and turning around to yell at a minivan full of kids soccer mom, or way too absorbed in his sales/conference call businessman but if you're paying attention it's plenty of time to react. It's not like the car ahead of you is going to go from 70 to 0 in an instant.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geoj posted:

It's not like the car ahead of you is going to go from 70 to 0 in an instant.

It is if they aren't looking up at the dead-stopped traffic in front of them.