Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Dude

Roman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Skinny King Pimp posted:

It's okay to use packets of chili seasoning and nothing else in your chili that has beans in it.

e: but you should probably only use one so it isn't too spicy.

I find that for myself and most other people, even this is too rip-roaringly spicy!!! I don't know how they can stand the heat!!

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I went to go get a sisig burrito but the truck wasn't there so I got mad. But then I decided to try a Korean burrito from a truck I've never been to before. It's ok except that I asked for it extra spicy and instead they slapped a bunch of sweet gochujang(?) all over it and ugh.

Also while I was waiting some bitch walked up to the truck all "can I taste your brown rice?" What.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Happy Hat posted:

Dude

Roman
Is Da Baffetto still the poo poo?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Squashy Nipples posted:

Nope, very Mexican... but Mexico is a big country. The lady who taught me how to cook Mexican food was from Baja, and she said that where she came from, burritos with strictly a street food, usually just beans rice and cheese, and wrapped in foil. But she said her dad had been from some other region in Mexico, and he liked his burritos smothered on a plate, restaurant-style.
Naaaaah. Nobody really knows where or when the burrito originated, apart from it being before the end of the 19th Century and almost certainly in northern Mexico or the southern U.S. Specific variations, like the Mission burrito, are 20th Century inventions definitely of U.S. origin (as the name implies). Others are probably (like the non-burrito street food the huarache) of 20th-Century Mexican innovations. But if there's any definitive evidence that the burrito itself is of older and Mexican vintage I don't think its generally known, your abuelita's testimony nothwithstanding.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Sjurygg posted:

Heineken must be destroyed. Next up on the list of beers they have ruined: Staropramen. They won't rest until everything tastes the same. Everyone: please don't buy Heineken, or any of the brands they own.

Random beer question, but are micobrews, in the american sense, generally a thing in europe?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Naaaaah. Nobody really knows where or when the burrito originated, apart from it being before the end of the 19th Century and almost certainly in northern Mexico or the southern U.S. Specific variations, like the Mission burrito, are 20th Century inventions definitely of U.S. origin (as the name implies). Others are probably (like the non-burrito street food the huarache) of 20th-Century Mexican innovations. But if there's any definitive evidence that the burrito itself is of older and Mexican vintage I don't think its generally known, your abuelita's testimony nothwithstanding.

Where does a taco end and a burrito begin?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
At the second or third fold

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

bunnielab posted:

Random beer question, but are micobrews, in the american sense, generally a thing in europe?

What's the American sense? Small batches, weird names and too much hops? Yep.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Steve Yun posted:

At the second or third fold

Something something... proks mom

WaterIsPoison
Nov 5, 2009

sweat poteto posted:

What's the American sense? Small batches, weird names and too much hops? Yep.

Don't forget about the "real ale" movement in the UK

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is a burrito a sandwich?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Is a burrito a sandwich?

of course, don't be dumb

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Actually, what the vast majority of people call "burritos" are Mission burritos and originate in San Francisco. They are based on similar regional Mexican food but are not Mexican from Mexico.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_burrito

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Happy Hat posted:

Beer is clearly better than wine

We still need to go have that beer at Cockney Pub (now that Ølmolevitten is gone, I guess that's the only place?)

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SubG posted:

Good point. But I wasn't claiming that it was invented in Mexico, just that it is a real Mexican food.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

bunnielab posted:

It's huge, at least in Northern Europe. Not that many microbreweries-brewpubs (I only know of 5 or so in .dk, and two of those have existed for ages) but a shitload of smaller "artisinal" breweries. It's taken quite seriously, too, with companies like Mikkeller/Evil Twin, Hornbeer and Refsvindinge getting serious press and attention.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

WaterIsPoison posted:

Don't forget about the "real ale" movement in the UK

CAMRA are my heroes no joke.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Dane posted:

It's huge, at least in Northern Europe. Not that many microbreweries-brewpubs (I only know of 5 or so in .dk, and two of those have existed for ages) but a shitload of smaller "artisinal" breweries. It's taken quite seriously, too, with companies like Mikkeller/Evil Twin, Hornbeer and Refsvindinge getting serious press and attention.

I have seen Evil Twin over here but have never bought it, the $10 per 12oz bottle is a little off putting. Are there any other standouts you could recommend?

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I would love few things more than a close bar with cask ale. There is this lovely little (in the good way) bar in Baltimore that does a cask bitter and I cant get enough of it.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
After a few furious winter storm inspired days of cooking, I am assembling the king* of all leftovers:

Butter beans and rice with dry fry Sichuan chicken and spring onion with mapo tofu, two mean crazy pepper chili, and stir fried potatoes with garlic and thyme. Bow before my thrift and complete nutrition! I'm pairing it with a three year old barley wine, so let see how a journey into the soul of winter goes.

* king like ratking

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Wiggles posted:

im a card carrying CAMRA member :)

(well I mean my membership probably expired a couple years back, but I was while I had a UK address anyways :o: )

Vegetable Melange posted:

Butter beans and rice with dry fry Sichuan chicken and spring onion with mapo tofu

so, I ate at a highly regarded szechuan restaurant today. I've had authentic szechuan maybe 3-4 times before, and always liked it. But, a few of the times the szechuan peppercorn situation was just a bit too much for me - like a stupid loaded version of mapo I had in singapore. so I figured maybe just some people were just heavyhanded with the stuff.

anyways, I am eating at this place today, and I ordered this dish and the guy is like warning me about it being too spicy. I love, love LOVE spicy food, so I'm like 'yeah no problem'. I get this dry stirfry dish with literally a billion szechuan peppercorns in it though, and was basically unable to eat it.

it's really strange, the dish wasn't spicy in the sense of capsaicin - which is what I assume people mean when they say spicy. It actually had almost no spicy heat at all - it was just mouth numbingly mouth numbing. Like it felt like I ground up a bunch of cloves and topical anesthetic and just chewed on that paste for a while. It was really annoying because I could tell the dish was really tasty underneath my inability to taste it, but the peppercorns just knocked my tastebuds out and numbed the poo poo out of my tongue.

anyways I'm writing all this because I fed some to my gal, and she was like 'what, it just tastes a little peppery?' - and she usually clocks out on the raging-inferno-of-capsaicin meter longgggg before I do. I'm sort of wondering if I have some weird abnormal sensitivity to the stuff, like how for some people cilantro tastes like soap? (the heathens). Is that even possible (or common) I wonder?

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 10, 2014

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Cilantrocoriander tastes like soap to some people? Those poor people.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Cilantrocoriander tastes like soap to some people? Those poor people.

I still haven't seen any real science words about this. The only thing I could find was a study done by a guy who likes twins and went to a twin fair and asked if the twins liked cilantro and more often than not twins agreed that cilantro tasted like soap which led him to the conclusion that soaptasting is genetic but that is seriously the dumbest conclusion to come to from that study. I could make the hypothesis that soaptasting is taught by parenting and have that study support it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I made ice cream with coriander in it and recently served it at a dinner party. One of the girls asked if there was coriander in it and when I confirmed it, she said she can't stand it because it tastes like soap to her. First time I'd ever heard of it.

I've also met a couple people who said cilantro tastes like soap. It seems like a genuine thing and not just in their minds :shrug:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I made ice cream with coriander in it and recently served it at a dinner party. One of the girls asked if there was coriander in it and when I confirmed it, she said she can't stand it because it tastes like soap to her. First time I'd ever heard of it.

I've also met a couple people who said cilantro tastes like soap. It seems like a genuine thing and not just in their minds :shrug:

There are also people who refuse to eat anything but cheesy potatoes. I just call em all babies :x

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I do not think it tastes like soap: I just don't like it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^^See? Another person with otherwise good taste who doesn't like it. I really pity you, though; I love the stuff.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I still haven't seen any real science words about this. The only thing I could find was a study done by a guy who likes twins and went to a twin fair and asked if the twins liked cilantro and more often than not twins agreed that cilantro tasted like soap which led him to the conclusion that soaptasting is genetic but that is seriously the dumbest conclusion to come to from that study. I could make the hypothesis that soaptasting is taught by parenting and have that study support it.

The cranky cynic in me WANTS to agree with this... but the problem is, I've known a fair number of white people who can't stand cilantro, but have otherwise functional tasters. Always white people, though; never met a colored person with an aversion to cilantro.

And yeah, seshuan pepper is a numbing agent like cloves, with only a hint of peppery spice. The 5 Spice mix I buy has it, and that's about the only concentration I enjoy it in: whenever I've had dishes that really go crazy with it, it's not enjoyable because the numbing effect becomes too intense.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

A little late on beerchat, but does anyone have a favorite pilsner they can recommend? I'm looking for a straw-yellow, very crisp, mild but still flavorful, refreshing when ice cold beer.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Midniter posted:

A little late on beerchat, but does anyone have a favorite pilsner they can recommend? I'm looking for a straw-yellow, very crisp, mild but still flavorful, refreshing when ice cold beer.

Prima Pils from Victory, Pivo Pils from Firestone Walker

Also, check out the Beer Thread!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A fb friend posted this. Discuss.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

"holistic nutritional consultant"

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

What in the hell is wrong with white vinegar? And yeah, table salt is WAY worse for you than ALL NATURAL sea salt. Enjoy your loving goiter. And MSG? What is this, the 80's?

Also, "GMO is scary", get bent.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

The Midniter posted:

What in the hell is wrong with white vinegar? And yeah, table salt is WAY worse for you than ALL NATURAL sea salt. Enjoy your loving goiter. And MSG? What is this, the 80's?

Also, "GMO is scary", get bent.

GMO is scary because it gives megacorps far too much power over individual farmers. For health reasons? I dunno.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Well the first year my cousin planted GMO corn he died in a combine accident. Coincidence? Yeah, probably.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

"comercial" cheeses

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

In response, I will quote the woman:

Stream of consciousness thoughts about 'Clean Internet Diet Gurus' posted:

I am totally going off on tangents here, but frankly, I am so sick and tired of the level of food policing with judgement. It doesn't matter if you're vegan, omni, paleo, vegetarian.. nothing will ever be good enough when you read blogs that spout their views on nutrition!... and where do these people even get off PRETENDING like they KNOW anything? Who made them gods/desses? Seriously.. so many people spout of sooo much BULLSHIT... with no fact or studies or anything to back it up... it is terrifying... and you see people just lapping it all up like pathetic little lap dogs....

Why do people want to be told what to do? Why is the very act of critical thinking LOST on so many? Is it desperation?

I think that people prey on desperation and do so much harm.. and I am sick and tired of it.

http://www.melomeals.blogspot.com/2013/12/stream-of-consciousness-thoughts-about.html

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Dane posted:

GMO is scary because it gives megacorps far too much power over individual farmers. For health reasons? I dunno.

Totally agree with this. The way in which it screws farmers, prevents them from storing or reusing seed (making them buy them and go into debt), leads to monoculture (which has various ecological and disease-resistance implications), etc, is terrifying and bad news for all of us (unless you're a Monsanto or Big Ag stooge).

Now, how about we all engage in some vigorous healthification. Hella healthification, even.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

therattle posted:

Totally agree with this. The way in which it screws farmers, prevents them from storing or reusing seed (making them buy them and go into debt), leads to monoculture (which has various ecological and disease-resistance implications), etc, is terrifying and bad news for all of us (unless you're a Monsanto or Big Ag stooge).

Now, how about we all engage in some vigorous healthification. Hella healthification, even.

Oh, I agree from a business/commercial standpoint, absolutely. Companies like Monsanto are terrifying and I don't know how modern society will avoid its continuing consolidation of power in the agricultural sphere. What I was specifically referring to were the nonexistent risks of consuming GMO foods - at least, none that have been conclusively proven via repeatable first-rate research.

copen
Feb 2, 2003
Yeah gently caress you Monsanto. I am still not giving up my Canola oil or Bourbon yet.

That chart though lol. I hate that I have to hear from friends and family that I should not be eating certain things, cause they read about it on Facebook or something. I eat way better than any of them anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

therattle posted:

I've heard farmers don't reuse seeds anyway to begin with because the only way to guarantee you're gonna grow the same thing yield after yield is to use new seeds (vs second generation seeds due to normally occurring genetic mutations and poo poo).