Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Bulbasaur got me a bottle of Vallejo Old Gold and a couple flavors of oil washes for christmas (thanks again dood).

Holy tits is old gold awesome. The coverage and shine is outstanding. I've only ever used GW acrylic metallics, old gold blows them out of the water. I might have to pick up a couple more vallejo metallics.

Khorne Flakes posted:

It's just pigment liner pens. I would lose my mind trying to get a fine line on such large areas like that.

I didn't even know those existed. What size did you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Back when I was doing my Tau those pens were a godsend, the 005 from http://www.dickblick.com/products/sakura-pigma-micron-pen/ is what I used. You can find them pretty much everywhere online and any local art or craft store.

The main thing I remember from using them is to make sure the paint is 100% dry before use one.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I have a .05 and .3. Cinara is correct though, my .05 is dead because I only waited like an hour after painting something and the tip wont release ink anymore. Best to let a model sit overnight before using them just to be safe. You can pick them up at any art stores for like 3-4 bucks a pen.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
KF that stuff looks dope. I still do love a nice clean Ultramarine.

Those micron pens are great for freehand lettering also.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not quite done, but my first model in well over 6 months.

http://imgur.com/a/3tJeA

Going for a grimy wintery theme for my Cirlce of Orboros. Cell phone camera of course makes it looks 10x shittier, and I made the big mistake of gluing his arms / polearm on before painting his torso which I can't really get to now. Also forgot this little guy's armor on his arms, so I need to glue those on...

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 7, 2014

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

loving micro pens, I had to use them for mapping in dusty central Spain, stopped working after the first day.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

ijyt posted:

loving micro penis

Just for everyone else's info, it doesn't actually say that.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Just for everyone else's info, it doesn't actually say that.

You actually made me check my own post. :negative:

And for some content, one of my WIP Clan Skurvy cannon crew. I still need to find a decent way of highlighting the black fur (or picking a different colour), and I need to find/mix a decent highlight for the skin.

Other than that, I'm actually quite chuffed with how this tiny bastard turned out. Now to do +100.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Merauder posted:

So I'm fairly new to this whole painting thing, but was pretty happy with how a couple things turned out today and figured I'd share my first pic of work done. I started into Warmachine a couple months back with a friend and have slowly been making time to paint, and now with the holidays behind us I've been doing more. I dove into Convergence initially because I really liked their Clockwork Angels, but came to get really excited about the rest of their stuff once I settled on a color scheme: Star Wars Droids. :v:

Holy poo poo these are so adorable, I love them! Show me the Vectors!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Question for airbrushing folks: I was watching a Les Bursely video (like you do) and he panned over across his airbrushes and I noticed he leaves the back of the airbrush body off of all of them. I tried this with my Sotar and it seems to make an appreciable difference in the weight and how it sits in your hand, moving all the weight to the front. My basecoating brush was not really as big a difference but that isn't built with as much attention to that sort of thing in the first place.

Anyone else do this? Do you see a difference in how you can move the brush around and paint?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I like leaving it off for cleaning the needle. No appreciable difference in brushing, too, so it's possible I've lost the back part and will never know the difference :v:

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Feeple posted:

Holy poo poo these are so adorable, I love them! Show me the Vectors!

Thanks! I haven't quite got that far yet; those two were mostly a proof of concept test to make sure I was going to be happy with how the scheme would look, but vectors are coming. I have a couple heavies and the two lights from the battle box, and Prime Axiom all ready to go. Of course, I might not do Prime as an R2, but I'm not sure how else to approach him just yet, so we'll see.

Others in the Star Wars Convergence army will be the likes of Darth Iron Mother, Jedi Knight Clockwork Angels, Interrogator Servitors, and Slave Leia Aurora. I'm currently undecided on Axis, and originally Syntherion was going to be a 3PO clone as well, but trying to come up with something else for him so he stands out a bit more.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
I'm trying to blitz through my Deadzone stuff as fast as I can since I have so much of a backlog at the moment. Here's where I'm up to:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Is Vallejo Game Color white primer actually white brush-on primer, or is it paint that is the color of white primer? The product code is VAL72002 if that matters.

e: vvv Thanks! vvv

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 8, 2014

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Achmed Jones posted:

Is Vallejo Game Color white primer actually white brush-on primer, or is it paint that is the color of white primer? The product code is VAL72002 if that matters.

I believe its just a white paint that is the same color as their white primer.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Merauder posted:

I'm currently undecided on Axis, and originally Syntherion was going to be a 3PO clone as well, but trying to come up with something else for him so he stands out a bit more.

Boba Fett, perhaps?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hixson posted:

Bulbasaur got me a bottle of Vallejo Old Gold and a couple flavors of oil washes for christmas (thanks again dood).

Holy tits is old gold awesome. The coverage and shine is outstanding. I've only ever used GW acrylic metallics, old gold blows them out of the water. I might have to pick up a couple more vallejo metallics.

Your welcome brochacho. Now you gotta try those oils and see what all the fuss is about.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

In my experience anything not marked as "acrylic-urethane" or something like that (different formula for primers) is a primer-colored paint. Vallejo are lovely in that regard :(

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Pierzak posted:

In my experience anything not marked as "acrylic-urethane" or something like that (different formula for primers) is a primer-colored paint. Vallejo are lovely in that regard :(

English is not their first language.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm slavishly doing one team of Plague in the 'standard' hot pink, and looking at this I'm glad I have extras to do in earthtones. Great color choices!

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Any tips or just general advice for painting fur and pelts? Keep in mind I'm still a beginner at painting miniatures.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

The Sisko posted:

Any tips or just general advice for painting fur and pelts? Keep in mind I'm still a beginner at painting miniatures.

In your position, I'd probably just drybrush the heck out of it. E.g. basecoat in GW Gorthor Brown, drybrush highlight with GW Baneblade Brown and GW Karak Stone, followed by a GW Agrax Earthshade wash.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

The Sisko posted:

Do a light brown coat, then a wash of a dark brown or black. If you're feeling adventurous, you can go back with your original color and do a light drybrush to bring out the highlights.

Stuff like fur and pelts are very easy to do because they usually are sculpted with very prominent detail.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JoshTheStampede posted:

English is not their first language.
I care only as far as I don't have to pay for it. :colbert:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Achmed Jones posted:

e: vvv Thanks! vvv

I have Vallejo Surface Primer White (73.600) which is actual acrylic-polyurethane primer for airbrush or brush on.

It's definitely resilient, I haven't had any chipping or rubbing off problems at all. It doesn't cover exceptionally well though, so it takes several coats of brushing on to get to an opaque white, if that's what you are looking for.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Merauder posted:

originally Syntherion was going to be a 3PO clone as well, but trying to come up with something else for him so he stands out a bit more.

How about the boss droid in Jabba's joint, the one that lays the law down to R2D2 in the basement? He's got a similar spindly build.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

NTRabbit posted:

How about the boss droid in Jabba's joint, the one that lays the law down to R2D2 in the basement? He's got a similar spindly build.

That was EVE-99 to C3PO, I think

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Holy poo poo. I made the mistake of going into a GW for the first time in a decade on my lunch break to buy some black primer for a prototype I'm hoping to kickstart.

£9.80 for a can of loving spray paint???? :psyduck:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Spray paints are a bit expensive already, so with GW tax yeah. Try some Halfords Grey instead. Better quality, 500ml vs 400ml and £2 cheaper.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Screw that, I'll just buy an airbrush sooner than I planned.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If you can get Duplicolor auto body primer over there, it's easily the best black primer I've ever used. And probably the most cost-effective.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
I tried out the wargames bakery basing pad today.

I'm going to let them dry and put some vallejo pumice in the spots that look a bit fudged to add some grime and grit. I want the bases to look very decrepit spaceship.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

I've been on a binge trying to crank out as many painted hams as I can to clear my backlog. Last nights efforts:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Daedleh posted:

I've been on a binge trying to crank out as many painted hams as I can to clear my backlog. Last nights efforts:

That jack loos rad!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

ijyt posted:

Other than that, I'm actually quite chuffed with how this tiny bastard turned out. Now to do +100.

Looking good! I have a premixed pot of dark grey, usually $1.00 black mixed with $1.00 grey, that does the trick just fine. Just highlight black fur with grey, unless you want to give it that sort of black-going-on-brown transition like some animals have.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Daedleh posted:

These look amazing, I love the flesh tones and the weathering on the 'jack.

Can I ask what you use as a backdrop? I've been trying to photograph with a black background and everything I use looks washed-out.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Daedleh posted:

We have very similar paint schemes

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Daedleh posted:

Don't do that, you'll die!

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

moths posted:

These look amazing, I love the flesh tones and the weathering on the 'jack.

Can I ask what you use as a backdrop? I've been trying to photograph with a black background and everything I use looks washed-out.

I bought this a few days ago which works brilliantly (though you need to lint roller it after every model). The biggest difference was sorting out my camera settings. I'm just using my phone (Galaxy S3) and just dropped the exposure down to minimum and set ISO to 100 and used a stand made out of lego!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Don't do that, you'll die!

Oh my backlog is enough to last me to the afterlife, don't fret.

And tonights completion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Bavius posted:

I tried out the wargames bakery basing pad today.

I'm going to let them dry and put some vallejo pumice in the spots that look a bit fudged to add some grime and grit. I want the bases to look very decrepit spaceship.

Man, I wish I had bought into that - those would be really handy for my Necromunda gang that I'm working on. :(

• Locked thread