Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

qbert posted:

This episode was great. I know they can't have Moriarty on every episode, but drat do I love Natalie Dormer and every scene she has with Sherlock/Watson.

Seriously.

I suppose it's good that she's not around too often, because maybe then she'd get overused.. But god, I have yet to get tired of her as Adler/Moriarty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm tired of her since she keeps showing up in everything I watch. The Tudors, Game of Thrones, Elementary, and I just saw her in the movie Rush.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm tired of her since she keeps showing up in everything I watch. The Tudors, Game of Thrones, Elementary, and I just saw her in the movie Rush.

And in 3 out of 4 of those you've seen a lot of her.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I wonder if they're going to rekindle the romance between Holmes and Moriarty, or if she'll just turn on him again. Sure she faked an entire persona for the sole purpose of turning him into a useless drug addict, and he cost her $900 million and got her locked up in an FBI black site, but what relationship doesn't have rough patches?

At least I'd like to see them stay civil. I don't really want season after season of them playing cat and mouse, when there are a lot of other interesting angles the show has to offer like Mycroft and Bell. I don't want this show to fall into the trap of having the main feud run way too long when the characters are interesting enough that they can do other things.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Platystemon posted:

I called the maternity and coded messages plot points. They’re telegraphing them too hard.

C’mon, Sherlock, you should have realised Moriarty was the mother the moment the kidnappers put the girl on the phone. Not when you decoded the classified ad.

Yeah, my thought immediately after realizing she was the mother was whether or not they'd have Sherlock be dad.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

pik_d posted:

Yeah, my thought immediately after realizing she was the mother was whether or not they'd have Sherlock be dad.

That'd be too obvious/cliche.

It's obviously Mycroft. :ssh:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Blind Pineapple posted:

At least I'd like to see them stay civil. I don't really want season after season of them playing cat and mouse, when there are a lot of other interesting angles the show has to offer like Mycroft and Bell. I don't want this show to fall into the trap of having the main feud run way too long when the characters are interesting enough that they can do other things.

What I want is for her to go back to being a criminal mastermind - but have her trying to be a better person with less (or no) killing. Maybe have her plot wacky schemes just to have Sherlock come and visit her. Or possibly have her team up with Sherlock to take down her mentor, who for some reason doubles down and goes super evil.

I imagine Sherlock won't be getting any other love interest either way.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

VDay posted:

It's obviously Mycroft. :ssh:

This was actually my thought with regards to when she told Sherlock that there are things at work that even he wouldn't understand. Surprised nobody else commented on it yet.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

I would think they would have Mycroft be working against whoever Moriarty's boss is, not knowing that's what he's doing. Or perhaps unwittingly working for him/her, but I don't like that one as much.

Moriarty's obsession with Watson is great. I loved Watson's reaction to the giant painting of her in Moriarty's "cell."

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

hollylolly posted:

I would think they would have Mycroft be working against whoever Moriarty's boss is, not knowing that's what he's doing. Or perhaps unwittingly working for him/her, but I don't like that one as much.

Moriarty's obsession with Watson is great. I loved Watson's reaction to the giant painting of her in Moriarty's "cell."

One of the best parts of Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is the reveal that both Moriarty and Mycroft were M, as in James Bond M.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The agent who was guarding Moriarty was utterly brain-dead. Oh she is telling me about her plans to escape including specific details. I think I'll stare at the blood on the floor with such intent focus as to completely ignore the dangerous criminal casually walking behind me.

I did like that her clever escape route had a huge flaw though, with the severe blood loss almots killing her. Not quite as smart an escape plan as she thought.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

New episode tonight!

All in the Family

When a body is found in a barrel, Holmes and Watson launch an investigation into the mafia's ties to the murder. Meanwhile, Sherlock attempts to make amends with Detective Bell.

No idea what episode this gif is from

edit: Did anyone else notice that they very quickly changed Sherlock's wardrobe from band t-shirts under a jacket or other shirt to the very uptight button-up shirts buttoned all the way to the top? Is this supposed to show his change from being recently out of rehab to his current stage of recovery? Or did they just decide arbitrarily he needed to look more like Monk?

hollylolly fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 9, 2014

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

hollylolly posted:

edit: Did anyone else notice that they very quickly changed Sherlock's wardrobe from band t-shirts under a jacket or other shirt to the very uptight button-up shirts buttoned all the way to the top? Is this supposed to show his change from being recently out of rehab to his current stage of recovery? Or did they just decide arbitrarily he needed to look more like Monk?

It's a nice way to show his current stage of recovery if that really is the case. I loved his silly T-shirts, although maybe he wears them more at home now.

But he still wears hideous socks since he can get away with those more often, it's great. :allears:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Wow, a little surprised they wrapped up the spying on minorities demographics unit arc so quickly.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Yeah, I didn't think they'd add and then resolve that this fast. I guess it sort of makes sense since everyone saw it coming in the first place, but it could've been paced better.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Does it air early in Canada? It's not on for another 15 minutes on the east coast of the US.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ugh not this show too! Canada is awful.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

fff My bad. I didn't mean to spoil it for any of you Americans.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's aright, wasn't that big a deal. I was still pretty surprised at how it all went down. Sure I knew he was dirty, but I figured it was gonna go in a different direction - more questionable abuses of power, less mafia connections.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm disappointed that the Demographics Unit won't stick around. I dig 70s slow boilers enough that I'd've loved for Elementary to add intelligence work to the rotation.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
It reminds me more of Jude Law in Repo Men, but he does bear a resemblance to Monk.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

"We spend the afternoon talking to mobsters, and you order Italian. Is a Godfather marathon far behind?" :lol:

I was certain for a few minutes there that the pizza box was going to end up being a bomb or something, I know, I'm weird. I am glad that Bell is back and he and Sherlock got their issues yelled out at each other. I forgot that he didn't know about Sherlock's addict past, so it was nice that Sherlock chose to expose that to him.

Perhaps the show could have drawn out the "resolution" of the Bell/Sherlock thing more, but a couple episodes of Sherlock being majorly annoyed at the inferior detectives he is forced to work with would have been worse, in my opinion.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

MrFlibble posted:

I think he'll end up taking the demographics job and find some sort of evil plot going on there and end up having to go to Holmes for help.

Not exactly what happened, but close enough. Good to have detective frownsalot back on the case.

Also a very good episode.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Yeah that scene between Sherlock and Bell was just great. Both the writing and the acting were stellar and I got a little teary-eyed. It reminded me why I love Elementary so much. The mysteries are usually pretty good, but the heart of the show is Sherlock and Joan and how they relate to each other and those around them.

I'm also glad we didn't have to go through several episodes of watching Joan and Sherlock get exasperated by average detectives. The little bit that they showed us set the foundation for knowing what was going on well enough.

Sherlock was still kind of a jerk for not respecting Marcus' wishes for space, but at least he was being a jerk for a reason.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat
I loved Sherlock threatening to sign the NSA guy up for membership in Plushie websites.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

johntfs posted:

I loved Sherlock threatening to sign the NSA guy up for membership in Plushie websites.

Zero lessons learned about humiliating someone at their job to get information out of them.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

jscolon2.0 posted:

Zero lessons learned about humiliating someone at their job to get information out of them.

There weren't any other people in the room this time, and he didn't threaten him by revealing any illegal activity that someone might feel obligated to report. Sherlock's adapting.

I am a little surprised they blew off the demographics angle so quickly, but it was a good episode and the Sherlock/Bell scenes were really well done. I thought with a title like "All in the Family," we would be getting more Mycroft, but Paul Sorvino in a mafia story was an alright consolation prize.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Blind Pineapple posted:

There weren't any other people in the room this time, and he didn't threaten him by revealing any illegal activity that someone might feel obligated to report. Sherlock's adapting.

It's the NSA, his co-workers signed him up for plushie love sites themselves about 4 seconds after Holmes said it

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Am I the only one who thinks the tension between Holmes and Bell basically makes no sense? I'm glad they resolved it quickly because it seemed highly illogical to me in the first place.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

NoDamage posted:

Am I the only one who thinks the tension between Holmes and Bell basically makes no sense? I'm glad they resolved it quickly because it seemed highly illogical to me in the first place.

Well, Sherlock was responsible for baiting the shooter and accidentally ruining his life, leading to Bell's palsy. That said, I think the severe animosity Bell showed was a bit overblown and should have been more directed at the guy who, y'know, shot him, who was hardly innocent in the first place.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

BreakAtmo posted:

Bell's palsy

I just got this.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

BreakAtmo posted:

Well, Sherlock was responsible for baiting the shooter and accidentally ruining his life, leading to Bell's palsy. That said, I think the severe animosity Bell showed was a bit overblown and should have been more directed at the guy who, y'know, shot him, who was hardly innocent in the first place.

First, Bell's Palsy. Ha!

Second, the guy who shot Bell is dead. Sherlock is still strutting around being Sherlock. I can see the animosity reasoning.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

jscolon2.0 posted:

I just got this.

johntfs posted:

First, Bell's Palsy. Ha!

I was going to put in a (heh) after it, but I thought that'd be too obvious. Let you guys figure it out.

quote:

Second, the guy who shot Bell is dead. Sherlock is still strutting around being Sherlock. I can see the animosity reasoning.

I actually totally forgot this. Still, anger at a dead person isn't really unheard of. And in the end, Sherlock's crime was basically that he got the rear end in a top hat in trouble for an offense he was entirely guilty of. The animosity at Sherlock feels a little victim-blamey - it's more complicated than that, but still.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

hollylolly posted:

I was certain for a few minutes there that the pizza box was going to end up being a bomb or something, I know, I'm weird. I am glad that Bell is back and he and Sherlock got their issues yelled out at each other. I forgot that he didn't know about Sherlock's addict past, so it was nice that Sherlock chose to expose that to him.

I thought they would open the door to someone dangerous rather than the delivery boy. When the pizza showed up, I was sure it would be a bomb, a listening device, or just a warning. In the end, it seems it was either a good opportunity to subvert audience expectations or a clumsy way to give Sherlock and Watson a reason to expect a knock. Sherlock even carried the smoking gun newspaper clipping with him when he went to answer it.

Speaking of paranoia, what happened to Sherlock’s protégé? I thought he was suspicious, but it’s been several episodes now and he hasn’t shown up again.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 11, 2014

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Yeah I was on the edge of my seat with the stupid pizza box too. This show loves its red herrings.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I just thought someone else would be at the door to shoot Sherlock, who was expecting pizza.

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.
I'm just pleasantly surprised nobody complained yet by calling it the Chekhov's pizza. Good job TVIV.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

They should have ended the scene with him opening up the box and pulling out a slice. I guess sometimes a pizza is just a pizza!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Sherlock probably eats pizza with knife and fork. Even the delivery kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

Sherlock probably eats pizza with knife and fork. Even the delivery kind.

Most likely true! And probably his burgers the same way, he is from England after all.

• Locked thread