Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
What do you mean by online? There's Mangband, which is multiplayer, real-time Angband. I've never played it myself.

I'm not aware of any version of Angband that's playable in a browser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What do you mean by online? There's Mangband, which is multiplayer, real-time Angband. I've never played it myself.

I'm not aware of any version of Angband that's playable in a browser.

I'm guessing he means something like in Crawl, where you can play on a remote server. It's not direct multiplayer but you can watch other people playing, run into other people's player ghosts, and have your score recorded for posterity.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

http://www.rogueshell.com has lots of options (but not Sil)

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

pumpinglemma posted:

I'm guessing he means something like in Crawl, where you can play on a remote server. It's not direct multiplayer but you can watch other people playing, run into other people's player ghosts, and have your score recorded for posterity.

Yeah, my downtime at work was destroyed when I discovered crawl. But I find Sil much more compelling.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Has anyone else been following Crypt of the Necrodancer?

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how it'll work but I'm really, really hoping this turns out well.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Are their tiles for Sil? Wondering what a lo-fi interpretation of the First Age would look like.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Are their tiles for Sil? Wondering what a lo-fi interpretation of the First Age would look like.

Next major version (which will probably be a year from now).

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Been playing ADoM again since there's tiles and all but because of them I feel even worse leaving that cute dog to die in that stupid cave.

:3:

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Thinking two-color tiles. Try to retain some of the simplicity of 2-color ASCII, while making it graphical enough for people who just can't do ASCII.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That looks pretty neat. Pixel art with extreme limitations is always a fun exercise. Your scythe guy looks like he's using three colors, though.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

Thinking two-color tiles. Try to retain some of the simplicity of 2-color ASCII, while making it graphical enough for people who just can't do ASCII.

Looks nice! Though, if you're ever planning to have things on the floor (like items or traps or whatever), you're gonna have to figure out what to do with floors that are hidden by walls. Half-height sprites don't work well with this kind of wall.

EDIT: ^^^^^ Scythe guy only has two colors that I can see, unless you're counting "transparent" as a color...which I guess you ought to, but maaaaaan.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

EDIT: ^^^^^ Scythe guy only has two colors that I can see, unless you're counting "transparent" as a color...which I guess you ought to, but maaaaaan.

Of course you have to!

If you're going to use three, you might as well use four. Two for background/static elements and Four for sprites/active elements is still fine!

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, it's really 2-color+transparent. So sort of 2.5 color; strictly speaking full alpha can be baked into either color, so it's not REALLY three color. I think I'll probably end up nixing faux-3d half-high sprite work for a more legible map. We'll still have the half wall images, but they'll just take up a full tile, with no overlap between them. Not quite as fancy looking, but far more readable.

e: That way we also don't have to have fighting contrasts between wall and creature/item colors, which could get really ugly. The floors and objects can contrast.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 10, 2014

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Unormal posted:

This is already much more erotic than Noxico, good progress.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

You also might not want to use the main dark color for both the major colors of the walls and the player. It'll be hard to process images if you're looking for the tiny splash of color on the belt & face.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

ya there are lots of interesting challenges involved :sweatdrop:

this is a rough mockup I was messing with to see how you could do things like doors, large objects 'clipping' their tile, relative object size(separate ground sprite/inventory sprite for items?)(small enemies still use large tiles to show detail?) etc

here it is in pure 2 color. Cool vibe, but any negative space being transparent is kinda bizarre.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pure 2 color still has three colors? You've got the background color, then two shades atop it. It still looks neat. Like an early test for a Gameboy project.

In the more colorful version, I really dig how the objects are using a very similar saturation for their colors. It keeps the wasteland theme well without making it a VGA Rainbow Wonderland.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
The colored version is miles better, since the browns look a lot less stark and don't hurt the eyes as much.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

_jink posted:

this is a rough mockup I was messing with to see how you could do things like doors, large objects 'clipping' their tile, relative object size(separate ground sprite/inventory sprite for items?)(small enemies still use large tiles to show detail?) etc

here it is in pure 2 color. Cool vibe, but any negative space being transparent is kinda bizarre.

I hate how doors always look like rear end with tiles. Everything else about it is glorious.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

What are these anyway? Is CoQ getting Oryx tiles?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

What are these anyway? Is CoQ getting Oryx tiles?

It'd be a new game in the CoQ setting, in Unity. We're still in the 'initial fooling around' stage. So, if it takes as long as CoQ to develop I'd expect a release in about 2019! ;)

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

_jink posted:

I really like the look of that; it has the clean simplicity of CoQ's ASCII, but just enough detail for my imagination to run wild.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Unormal posted:

Yeah, it's really 2-color+transparent. So sort of 2.5 color; strictly speaking full alpha can be baked into either color, so it's not REALLY three color. I think I'll probably end up nixing faux-3d half-high sprite work for a more legible map. We'll still have the half wall images, but they'll just take up a full tile, with no overlap between them. Not quite as fancy looking, but far more readable.

e: That way we also don't have to have fighting contrasts between wall and creature/item colors, which could get really ugly. The floors and objects can contrast.

So what project are you planning on putting your tiles effort into? Because as I have been lead to understand your mobile game has it's own set of tiles and you're creating these ones out of the same framework?(I don't really understand the technicalities or terms of this stuff too much)

Oops answered like two posts above mine. Can you reveal anything about what will be differentiate this one from coq or is it just an evolution?

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bob NewSCART posted:

So what project are you planning on putting your tiles effort into? Because as I have been lead to understand your mobile game has it's own set of tiles and you're creating these ones out of the same framework?(I don't really understand the technicalities or terms of this stuff too much)

Oops answered like two posts above mine. Can you reveal anything about what will be differentiate this one from coq or is it just an evolution?

Well, we're wrapping up Sproggiwood, which has its own set of content. We're still a couple months out from release, but much of the content is in. So we're starting to fiddle with future projects. Sproggiwood gave us a lot of experience in Unity, which is a cross-platform game engine. Sproggiwood is an extremely streamlined roguelike, and I'd also like to do a more "traditional" roguelike for mobile devices. So, one of the things I started toying around with was a simple "classic" rogue-like engine using the oryx tileset, which spurred this thread.

We haven't done any sort of elaborate design on the new CoQ-world game; this is very much just brainstorming work, but our initial thoughts are that we want to take the good stuff from Caves of Qud, and tear down a lot of the excessive complexity, to produce a game that is well-suited for mobile devices and laptops, but retains the core "good stuff" from Qud. We don't want to take the streamlining as far as we did with Sproggiwood, but we'd like to do things like go to 4-way movement, simplify equipment and inventory management, streamline the UI, etc. Stuff that would make a game that's much more amenable to a mobile platform, while still keeping the artifacts, mutations, setting, etc that give Qud its flavor.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 10, 2014

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Sil sure punishes the gently caress out of you for being impatient

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Sample Screenshot of the new Unreal World tiles

Looks quite good!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

TOOT BOOT posted:

Sample Screenshot of the new Unreal World tiles

Looks quite good!

I hope you're serious because I can't imagine more perfect tiles for Unreal World :allears:

Edit: Speaking of Qud is it still in beta? I remember not too long ago you couldn't beat it.

Space Bat fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 11, 2014

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Unreal World tiles need to all be actual photo-sourced images of the creator and his friends hanging out in the woods, like the portraits.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Space Bat posted:

I hope you're serious because I can't imagine more perfect tiles for Unreal World :allears:

No, those are the real hires tiles. Finally the game won't look like an MSPaint abomination!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is it possible to force chests open in sil or are you poo poo out of luck if you haven't been pumping perception?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

andrew smash posted:

Is it possible to force chests open in sil or are you poo poo out of luck if you haven't been pumping perception?

Yeah you can open them you'll just get nailed by the traps.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

I really like the look of that; it has the clean simplicity of CoQ's ASCII, but just enough detail for my imagination to run wild.

Isn't it great? I'm not much of a tiles guy but I could go with that. Has kind of an Ultima thing going.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

S.T.C.A. posted:

:pcgaming:Dungeons of the Endless:pcgaming:

tl; dr: Currently in alpha with 3 levels of its intended 12 and limited heroes/items/skills, very high on potential, very fun.

DOTE is super empty at the moment but it has everything there already to magive it a great deal of potential. The only thing that really bugs me about it is the fact that it's only planned to have 12 levels, which seems..short for "endless"

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Vincent Valentine posted:

DOTE is super empty at the moment but it has everything there already to magive it a great deal of potential. The only thing that really bugs me about it is the fact that it's only planned to have 12 levels, which seems..short for "endless"
It's because it's a spinoff of Endless Space.

Which seems to refer to the vanished precursor race named the "Endless" instead of any actual feature of the Space in question, if my memory isn't lying to me again.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

uPen posted:

Yeah you can open them you'll just get nailed by the traps.

i can deal with that. what's the keystroke? when i put it on the ground and hit / 5 it just says it's locked.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
It's just , isn't it?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

uPen posted:

It's just , isn't it?

having lost my recent character i will have to give that a shot next time i come across a chest.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sil is still really really hard. :saddowns:

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

andrew smash posted:

i can deal with that. what's the keystroke? when i put it on the ground and hit / 5 it just says it's locked.

I just use o, same as to open a door. The locks are hard to open if you have bad perception so it will take a bunch of tries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Lawman 0 posted:

Sil is still really really hard. :saddowns:

Yeah. I've been playing it a ton recently. I just lost a character that felt like it was going to really well to a crit out of nowhere from an orc champion, cut me from like 25 hp to dead.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I just use o, same as to open a door. The locks are hard to open if you have bad perception so it will take a bunch of tries.

I was hoping i could just kick it apart like i do with recalcitrant doors.