Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
"I know the color scheme was pure Fincher and the letters were obvious and direct references to the Zodiac's letters and that it had an ambiguous ending as to whom the rear end crack bandit was, but I'm going to insist this was a riff on literally anything but Zodiac because I am a dumdum and I like to eat my own poop and drink my own pee"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mustached5thGrader posted:

"I know the color scheme was pure Fincher and the letters were obvious and direct references to the Zodiac's letters and that it had an ambiguous ending as to whom the rear end crack bandit was, but I'm going to insist this was a riff on literally anything but Zodiac because I am a dumdum and I like to eat my own poop and drink my own pee"

What?

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Was absolutely thrilled with this episode. The tone was so well-crafted, and the characters were able to lampshade so many genre tropes (Abed as autistic savant detective, Troy as blanketed victim, Jeff and Annie in putting-the-pieces-together scene set to classical music, etc.) while staying completely true to themselves. This is in pretty stark contrast to S4, which immediately lost the personalities of the study group whenever they tried to do a concept episode. My only disappointment is that it couldn't have been a full half-hour, because I was incredibly disappointed to find that there wasn't another act to resolve the case, appropriate as the conclusion was. Hooray for Season 5!

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This was probably the best episode since the first half of season three. It was spot on in what it was parodying, and didn't feel as forced as a lot of gimmick episodes either.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

E the Shaggy posted:

What are you gonna do? Not have butts?

thexerox123 posted:

"You can't stop me, because what are you gonna do, not have butts?"

Edit: Haha. Popular quote!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You can't stop me because whatareyagonna do, not have butts?

MrAristocrates posted:

You can't stop me because what are you gonna do? Not have butts?

I think we have a new thread title.

If not though it has to be one of Abed's lines, his "gently caress you" look to the Dean was great. He's grown a lot as a character while still being Abed.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Did anyone recognize the voice on the radio? Sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Did anyone recognize the voice on the radio? Sounded familiar, but I couldn't quite place it.

It was Real Neil with Pipes of Steel.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

That was an amazing episode. I have to admit though, I didn't watch last season at all. Is it worth it to go back and watch it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Super Aggro Crag posted:

That was an amazing episode. I have to admit though, I didn't watch last season at all. Is it worth it to go back and watch it?

If you're on the fence at this point, I'd have to say just watch the first episode and decide if you're going to stick with it. If not, 8 and 11 are definitely worth watching, and maybe 12 and 13 if you're feeling more generous (I'm still not sure how I feel about the finale). However, even the best episodes of Season 4 look like absolute garbage compared to this last episode. Go in knowing it's gonna be really jarring and adjust your expectations accordingly.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
So glad the show is back, both in quality and just being on TV. Doubly so with Parks and Rec. Thursday returns as my favorite night.

CaptainHollywood
Feb 29, 2008

I am an awesome guy and I love to make out during shitty Hollywood horror movies. I am a trendwhore!

Pointblank` posted:

In case anyone was wondering... Community is back.

Yep. Last week was not a fluke. And the critcs were screened episode 4- which is apparently great.

I really felt like this was a better parody than the Law and Order episode. I wonder if this is going to double as the "Halloween episode" which I'd be perfectly fine with.

MrAristocrates posted:

If you're on the fence at this point, I'd have to say just watch the first episode and decide if you're going to stick with it. If not, 8 and 11 are definitely worth watching, and maybe 12 and 13 if you're feeling more generous (I'm still not sure how I feel about the finale). However, even the best episodes of Season 4 look like absolute garbage compared to this last episode. Go in knowing it's gonna be really jarring and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Yeah it's not... the best. Just remember season 5 is here- and it's good. :)

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

I'm watching it again and wow is the music top notch. Also, Jim Rash really shines in this one.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Little Kielbasa posted:

It's Neil, hence the little D&D callback at the end.

it was mentioned by someone that he was just credited as Neil in the last episode as well instead of fat Neil, I wonder if they're going to make a little background subplot (like him being Real Neil in this episode) of him having a different nickname now.

edit: Like everyone else has been saying, wow, just wow. This show is back so hard, if they keep up this quality and don't get another season there is no justice in the universe.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 10, 2014

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Dan mentioned before that this was a general David Fincher parody.

butts420
Jul 27, 2012
When Ants Marching came on it gave me serious Bro Rape vibes.

This episode was awesome. The commenters at the AV Club are less thrilled with this episode, for some reason. Don't understand why.

Spalding
Jul 24, 2005
The rain and dreary atmosphere reminded me of Seven, also the music that was played during the Dave Mathew's Band search.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CaptainHollywood posted:

I really felt like this was a better parody than the Law and Order episode. I wonder if this is going to double as the "Halloween episode" which I'd be perfectly fine with.

I'm pretty sure they've said that this year they don't have any themed holiday type episodes for Halloween or anything, since they didn't know when they were going to air.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Senor Tron posted:

It's Neil, hence the little D&D callback at the end.

it was mentioned by someone that he was just credited as Neil in the last episode as well instead of fat Neil, I wonder if they're going to make a little background subplot (like him being Real Neil in this episode) of him having a different nickname now.

In DH's interview with IGN, he talks about the "spiritual successor" to the D&D episode. I'd wager any D&D episode will feature Neil, especially considering the exposure he's gotten in the most recent episode. With Joe Russo back to direct, my expectations are high! The first D&D episode inspired me to try out the game with some friends (though thankfully our DM had experience), and after a yearlong campaign I have a badass level 24 cleric :c00l:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wow. This was top notch TV.

I laughed really hard a bunch of times, which is pretty much the best metric for "is this good TV?"

Thanks Dan Harmon!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Am I the only one who found this episode with it's treatment of the rear end-crack bandit as analogous to sexual harassment to be really distasteful? I'm sure I'll get a bunch of people jumping on me for "not having a sense of humour", "community is a tv show", "parody", etc etc, but those are the kinds of responses that are typically involved with rape culture, so it's expected.

This is absolutely not meant to start a derail on rape culture in TV, I'm just curious to know if anyone else had similar thoughts (because literally every post since the episode aired by my count has been some variant of "wow, Community is back and awesome again!!!").

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I actually thought if it had any commentary at all it was on gun rights.

The dean tried to ban change throughout the school, someone comments that banning change wont solve the problem, "Troys Law", etc.

Maybe I was misreading it, but I got way more of a gun rights thing out of it than a rape thing.

Either way, i wouldn't take it too seriously.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

butts420 posted:

When Ants Marching came on it gave me serious Bro Rape vibes.

This episode was awesome. The commenters at the AV Club are less thrilled with this episode, for some reason. Don't understand why.

because the good commenters left with the good reviewers

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Maybe I was misreading it, but I got way more of a gun rights thing out of it than a rape thing.

The troy covered in a blanket on a couch, then later giving a speech about it happening to him and others? I thought it was pretty blatantly alluding to sexual harassment.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Shakugan posted:

Am I the only one who found this episode with it's treatment of the rear end-crack bandit as analogous to sexual harassment to be really distasteful? I'm sure I'll get a bunch of people jumping on me for "not having a sense of humour", "community is a tv show", "parody", etc etc, but those are the kinds of responses that are typically involved with rape culture, so it's expected.

This is absolutely not meant to start a derail on rape culture in TV, I'm just curious to know if anyone else had similar thoughts (because literally every post since the episode aired by my count has been some variant of "wow, Community is back and awesome again!!!").

The joke is that they're all treating it as if its something that serious, but its not.

BTW Community is back and awesome again.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Lord Krangdar posted:

The joke is that they're all treating it as if its something that serious, but its not.

BTW Community is back and awesome again.

Right, this is exactly my point. Implying that what it alludes to, sexual harassment, "is something people treat as serious, but its not".

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

Shakugan posted:

Right, this is exactly my point. Implying that what it alludes to, sexual harassment, "is something people treat as serious, but its not".

No, they treated it like sexual harassment in that they took it seriously, but it wasn't that so it wasn't to be taken seriously.

The only offensive joke to me was the soccer joke. But it's Dan Harmon.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
The number of people on a website called something awful, which routinely features 9/11 jokes among other things, that get wound up about the dumbest things will never cease to be amusing.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 10, 2014

Cythrelo
Sep 21, 2006
Intensely, it liberates with the heart which shines the fortress of thee ascent

Shakugan posted:

They were definitely lampooning the way thriller movies treat victims of sexual assault. The whole scene where Troy slaps Starburns is satirizing the sort of petty revenge that thrillers tend to give the victim of a sexual assault. If anything, I'd say it was a criticism of the little bow they try to tie around those plotlines with scenes like that.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

ChesterJT posted:

The number of people on a website called something awful, which routinely features 9/11 jokes among other things, that get wound up about the dumbest things will never cease to be amusing.

quote:

I'm sure I'll get a bunch of people jumping on me for "not having a sense of humour", "community is a tv show", "parody", etc etc, but those are the kinds of responses that are typically involved with rape culture, so it's expected.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cythrelo posted:

They were definitely lampooning the way thriller movies treat victims of sexual assault. The whole scene where Troy slaps Starburns is satirizing the sort of petty revenge that thrillers tend to give the victim of a sexual assault. If anything, I'd say it was a criticism of the little bow they try to tie around those plotlines with scenes like that.

Aside from the wheelchair, the scene where Troy slaps Starburns reminded me most of Jaws.

And honestly, the blanket and coffee reminded me most of someone who witnessed a murder or was rescued from a fire.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Shakugan posted:

The joke is that they're all treating it as if its something that serious, but its not. That joke relies on the understanding that sexual assault really is something to be taken seriously, in contrast to rear end-crack coinage. Without that understanding there is no joke.

EDIT- Also you saying this preemptively:

quote:

I'm sure I'll get a bunch of people jumping on me for "not having a sense of humour", "community is a tv show", "parody", etc etc, but those are the kinds of responses that are typically involved with rape culture, so it's expected.

doesn't mean you don't actually lack a sense of humor.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 10, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Aside from the wheelchair, the scene where Troy slaps Starburns reminded me most of Jaws.

And honestly, the blanket and coffee reminded me most of someone who witnessed a murder or was rescued from a fire.

And the thing about banning coins and Troy making the tearful statement and "Troy's Law" seemed way more like a Brady Bill gun ban reference.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I don't understand how anyone who likes Community at all could hate this episode, yet most commenters elsewhere seem to have not enjoyed it. Weird!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I was sure Duncan was the culprit just based on the letters ("What are you gonna do? Not have butts?" sounds just like something John Oliver would say)

Had a fair few laugh out loud moments this episode, this season's looking good.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Uuuuuuugh.

Episode was great. This page ot so much. And I'm a femnist who believes rape culture is real.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Shakugan posted:

Am I the only one who found this episode with it's treatment of the rear end-crack bandit as analogous to sexual harassment to be really distasteful?

Just because someone says the word 'butt' doesn't make something sexual.

It was a murder analogy.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

If there was an abuse point (and I really doubt that there was), it would be that Greendale takes something silly as seriously as they would take something actually damaging. That's not making fun of victims. The victim isn't the punchline.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I thought Troy liked butt stuff?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Exclamation Marx posted:

I was sure Duncan was the culprit just based on the letters ("What are you gonna do? Not have butts?" sounds just like something John Oliver would say)

I don't know, the really poor way they were written, which is part of why they were so hilarious, definitely screamed Britta to me.

mossyfisk posted:

Just because someone says the word 'butt' doesn't make something sexual.

It was a murder analogy.

Yes, murder victims are often blanketed and given water in dramas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That line about protesting the wrong Korea sounded really familiar and I'm ashamed I can't remember where I know it from.

I'll echo some of the other comments here in that this was a "gimmick" episode done very well, in that everybody was acting just like their own characters. Contrast that with the Law & Order episode, where the parody rewrote the entire structure of the show.

• Locked thread