Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
I'm thinking Grisha got too close to something and that's when the titan shifters found out and shut down whatever operation he had in that town. That might be why he goes a bit insane and injects Eren with titan powers or whatever it is, since he knows the shifters are going to be moving against the capital now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Horrible Smutbeast posted:

I'm thinking Grisha got too close to something and that's when the titan shifters found out and shut down whatever operation he had in that town. That might be why he goes a bit insane and injects Eren with titan powers or whatever it is, since he knows the shifters are going to be moving against the capital now.

This can make some sense. Mere hours after the scouting legion was humilated outside the walls, the titan shifters attacked Zhiganshina.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
His obtaining the coordinate power/gene/whatever was probably the trigger for the attacks, yeah.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
"my father" and "to me" was probably "Why did my father do this to me?" and his 40 minute spaz out was probably Eren going titan bonkers because thinking about his dad pisses him off and he doesn't understand why this was done to him when he's so apparently useless compared to the other people-titans.

There aren't really any clues to Grisha being dead other than his absence and making the leap "Eren ate Grisha" is an incredible leap in logic. I don't have a lot of experience in the anime forum but it really seems sometimes like people in this thread come up with really crazy speculation and then other people add to the crazy speculation with even more unsubstantiated speculation so often. Or they don't understand basic human behavior so they come up with weird theories about why someone would react a certain way to something.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 10, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I hope he did eat him so that it can be drawn as a cool-rear end inversion of Cronos Eating His Stupid Dad Who Won't Give Him The Car Keys

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Because we are reading different translations, I guess.

Bleh, I guess I'd need to read the Japanese raws to figure out what he really said in that scene.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
Am I missing something, or did everyone in the comic also collectively forget that Eren can command loving titans now?

Or where the shifters the only ones who noticed in the first place any everyone else just thinks they got lucky?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

Am I missing something, or did everyone in the comic also collectively forget that Eren can command loving titans now?

Or where the shifters the only ones who noticed in the first place any everyone else just thinks they got lucky?

They're testing out whether he can harden himself and the basic abilities his Titan form has which is far easier to figure out. Even if they wanted to test out the command power it would be incredibly dangerous and risky to do so. They didn't forget about it,its just testing it would be incredibly dangerous and they have no way of knowing what the conditions to use it are

Asuron fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Jan 10, 2014

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!
I dunno, they could do a test run from up on the walls. Even if you just find out that the top of the walls is too far away to order around titans from, that's something.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Hodgepodge posted:

I dunno, they could do a test run from up on the walls. Even if you just find out that the top of the walls is too far away to order around titans from, that's something.

Something like "I need 10 titans to come within 1 km of the wall. Ok. Good. Now make a pyramid."

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

That's not safe either. What if he wakes up the titans in the walls?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Additionally, any activity along the wall would be impossible to hide from the MPs.

What I wonder is, how do the MP plan on holding Eren? They captured him, but it seems like they're holding him aboveground and not 100% immobile. Why do they think he won't transform and eat the poo poo out of them?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 251 days!

Pensive posted:

That's not safe either. What if he wakes up the titans in the walls?

Actually, that's a good point.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

Well think of the circumstances.

1) They would need to capture some titans in order to do the test. This is high profile and a very dangerous thing to do right now.

2) Eren has no idea how to make the power work at all.

3) They do remember that Eren can command Titans. The reason that Levi's squad was populated with Eren's friends is because they've noticed (and Armin is getting suspicious of it) everytime Eren or the people he cares about are in a real bad situation that makes him desperate he can pull out a war winning power.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Between the "Levi is short" scene and the last panel, I'm surprised I hadn't noticed sooner how... not super-muscled he is. It's really believable.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Cheston posted:

Between the "Levi is short" scene and the last panel, I'm surprised I hadn't noticed sooner how... not super-muscled he is. It's really believable.

Levi has a BMI of 25. He should be slightly more buff than Mikasa. In-fact out of everyone in the cast, only Reiner (and by a margin Erwin) are over or under weight and he's the one guy who's drawn super muscled. Everyone else is just very toned and obviously in good shape (dem abs everywhere). It looks like Isayama actually thought it through when giving the characters cannon weights/heights.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Captain Backslap posted:

Or they don't understand basic human behavior so they come up with weird theories about why someone would react a certain way to something.

Anime fans misunderstanding basic human emotion/interaction? Well, I never

El-Bonko
Oct 9, 2012

Saagonsa posted:

Anime fans misunderstanding basic human emotion/interaction? Well, I never

To be fair, it usually doesn't hurt the accuracy of plot predictions.

threeagainstfour posted:

If Levi bites it, it will be in a blaze of glory killing like 40 titans. No way some random punk pervert dude is taking Levi out.

Levi is Isayama's author surrogate. He's not going anywhere.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't really say Levi's not dying, because there are always death flags going up around that dude. However, it's not like a random schmuck in this series has ever killed anyone noteworthy with the exception of Mikasa's parents. Also I don't understand where the author surrogate thing for Levi is coming from, he just seems like a dude.

El-Bonko
Oct 9, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Also I don't understand where the author surrogate thing for Levi is coming from, he just seems like a dude.

This is Hajime Isayama:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I had a friend do the same argument but with Ymir, its a crock of poo poo :colbert:

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012
I thought Levi was supposed to be based on one of the kids from Jesus Camp?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 30, 2017

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I can almost guarantee that if and when Levi bites it, it's not going to a titan that kills him.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
Broken neck from slipping on a soap, calling it now.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
He'll suffocate from accumulated dust due to the team's half-assed cleaning.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Hey guys: dunno if anyone else caught this (or it may be due to lovely translation) but remember the passage where Levi was describing the terrible smell of decay he smells within the walls, which is the same smell given off by Eren's abortion of a titan? Could it be a hint that the titans within the walls are themselves slowly dying?

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

visceril posted:

Hey guys: dunno if anyone else caught this (or it may be due to lovely translation) but remember the passage where Levi was describing the terrible smell of decay he smells within the walls, which is the same smell given off by Eren's abortion of a titan? Could it be a hint that the titans within the walls are themselves slowly dying?

Levi himself outright said he thought the Titans were slowly dying / decaying, and that this was why they were running out of time for Eren to learn how to harden himself.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Crunchyroll: "And everyone's been miserable today because of it."

Whatever translation's floating around: "Because of you, the outside air was rotten like a cistern."

Crunchyroll: "It's been that way for over a hundred years. It's always been poo poo inside here."

Other one: "If it's like this for a hundred more years, the inside walls will long be rotted over."

Pretty sure one of these translations is severely hosed up.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Well, crap translation it is then.

Hmm, on that note I was just thinking: remember the mini-story about the miner (can't remember if this is anime screencap-only or not) where the dude is trying to dig under Wall Sina and hits bottom--as in, the place where the bedrock and the wall touch? Wouldn't that imply…

:kamina:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

visceril posted:

Well, crap translation it is then.

Hmm, on that note I was just thinking: remember the mini-story about the miner (can't remember if this is anime screencap-only or not) where the dude is trying to dig under Wall Sina and hits bottom--as in, the place where the bedrock and the wall touch? Wouldn't that imply…

:kamina:

Is that canon though? The walls would turn into lakes the minute some heavy rain fell. Not to mention that if their mines were limited to digging a couple of meters the charade would be long over, there simply wouldn't be enough iron/coal for the industry.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

Is that canon though? The walls would turn into lakes the minute some heavy rain fell. Not to mention that if their mines were limited to digging a couple of meters the charade would be long over, there simply wouldn't be enough iron/coal for the industry.

Wait why would titans melt in the rain? I don't think that's ever been talked about.

Also, they do all ther mining in a big mountain in Wall Sina--iirc they're using some unobtainium metal that is neither copper nor iron to make the blades for the 3DMG. The mountain could be real, or it could just be some growth out of the giant titan that is the base of their world.

And yes the only thing that says the bedrock and wall are made of the same material is the anime, so it's canon-quality is questionable. Oh and I just had a thought: the bedrock the miner hit could just be the foot of the titan since he was digging right at the base of the wall. If he dug in some random field in between the walls, he might have hit the real, non-titan bedrock.

It would be quite a tonal shift for this series to become "TTGL con carné"

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

visceril posted:

Wait why would titans melt in the rain? I don't think that's ever been talked about.

The ground would not be able to absorb all of the rain water and would turn into a swamp/mud pit.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

MH Knights posted:

The ground would not be able to absorb all of the rain water and would turn into a swamp/mud pit.

Oh my initial impression was that the land inside the walls was like a big bowl with ordinary soil filled in. Now I think it's more likely that the 'bedrock' the miner encountered was one of the titan's hardened feet.

Interesting to note that hardened titans aren't 100% petrified and do eventually die. I don't think we've seen the last of Annie

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

visceril posted:

Interesting to note that hardened titans aren't 100% petrified and do eventually die. I don't think we've seen the last of Annie
Sorry, where are you pulling this from?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

visceril posted:

Also, they do all ther mining in a big mountain in Wall Sina--iirc they're using some unobtainium metal that is neither copper nor iron to make the blades for the 3DMG. The mountain could be real, or it could just be some growth out of the giant titan that is the base of their world.

I thought it was implied somewhat early on in the manga that the swords were made using the titan hardening somehow.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
^^I'm 99.9% sure that they said the blades are made out of a special metal that they mine out of the mountain in the center of their territory

Squidster posted:

Sorry, where are you pulling this from?

See above: in the latest chapter when discussing Eren's failed transformation and the putrid smell of his rotting titan, Levi said that everywhere inside the walls smells the same way, of filth and desperation, and that only outside does it smell fresh.

He could've been speaking figuratively, saying that the desperation within the walls is disgusting and so extreme as to be almost physical, and that the freedom outside is refreshing.

Or he could've been speaking literally and the titans inside of the walls are slowly dying. This could be the motivation for the shifters to finally attack and stir humanity up now that its defenses are all dying.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think Levi isn't the kind of guy who finds politics to tie him down to his liking.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

visceril posted:

See above: in the latest chapter when discussing Eren's failed transformation and the putrid smell of his rotting titan, Levi said that everywhere inside the walls smells the same way, of filth and desperation, and that only outside does it smell fresh.

He could've been speaking figuratively, saying that the desperation within the walls is disgusting and so extreme as to be almost physical, and that the freedom outside is refreshing.
I thought it had just been clarified that that was a bad translation?

Levi is just sick of the decadence and corruption that comes from a closed city devoid of hope. He's willing to risk his life to feel the freedom of life without prison walls. I really don't think it's a literal X smell is identical to Y smell thing.

As for the swords being made of Titan gunk, Hanji said Annie's shell was like nothing she'd ever seen, and I assume she would draw a parallel to their blades composition if there was one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Squidster posted:

As for the swords being made of Titan gunk, Hanji said Annie's shell was like nothing she'd ever seen, and I assume she would draw a parallel to their blades composition if there was one.

Not to mention it's been shown that the blades are pretty fragile, while the hardened titan stuff seems to be pretty indestructible