Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Roman Reign's mat-pound to Superman punch is pretty awesome these days. :mmmhmm:

Ahh, the good ol' Jeff Hardy Is A loving Moron spot.

I associated that so much with Jeff that one time when I think Evan Bourne did it in MITB it was really weird and out of character.

You're talking about the SSP on the outside off the ladder , right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

Quasipox posted:

As the inverse, what are your favorite little spots?

-Anytime someone pulls out a random-rear end move in desperation because nothing else was working. The RAW Punk/Cena was amazing because of this.
-When Ziggler struts after countering a move, like the glorious rear end in a top hat he should be.
-When Punk uses his old Indy move Welcome to Chicago, Motherfucker.
-When Jericho uses the Liontamer instead of the Walls.
-When a Samoan headbutts someone, or when someone tries to headbutt them!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

I Before E posted:

You're talking about the SSP on the outside off the ladder , right?

I think so. I just remember him having the chance to win the match and jumping on someone instead, and it was weird and stupid. I expected that out of Jeff Hardy, but Evan, you're better than that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Quasipox posted:

Personally, I love stuff like the Boo/Yay punch exchanges, the raising the arm three times to see if the guy passed out, and the old Guerrero "hit the mat with chair, toss to opponent, get him DQ'ed" spot.

I love the one where a beatdown face is desperately going for a hot tag, and the heel's partner pulls his partner off the apron just before he gets there.

Scratch that, I love pretty much -all- tag spots.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

I think so. I just remember him having a chance to win the match and jumping on someone instead, and it was weird and stupid. I expected that out of Jeff Hardy, but Evan, you're better than that.

I don't remember anything like that, the SSP was off a ladder on the outside, but if anyone's going to risk losing because they have a chance at doing something rad, its Evan Bourne.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I've just started watching wrestling after not doing so for most of 20 years. I have a pair of questions that I figure you goons will know the answers to.

1. I vaguely remember some wrestler way back when who would shoot some sort of colored mist out of his mouth, possibly as a finisher. How on earth do they pull that one off? Do they conceal a spray of some sort in their mouth for the duration of the match?

2. Likewise, the guys who pop up an hour or two into the show who seem to have been hiding under the ring up until then. Do they seriously hide them under there before the audience arrives? Or is there some sort of stage magic poo poo going on where they bring them down when no one's looking? I can't imagine it's all that great to be cramped up under a ring for 3 or 4 hours with dudes landing above you all the time.

I also assume that there's some crew under there for the collapsing ring or throwing a guy through the floor of the ring spots that I've seen on youtube, moving poo poo and putting some sort of padding in the right spot? They must have that rehearsed as to where the right spot to drop the guy is?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The mist is done with balloons filled with coloring that they bite into, then mix with spit shortly before the spot, I believe.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Writer Cath posted:

Which cliches do you guys hate?

Champions having non-title matches - You're a champion. Every match should count if anyone is still pretending like wrestling is a sport. Non-title matches are only acceptable for heels when an authority figure is protecting them.

Backstage brawls where attacks that normally drop people make them walk 50 feet down - The most egregious example I can remember was a horribly one-sided beat down from Kane on Zack Ryder. Zack spends what feels like 30 minutes getting in no offense but can't be bothered to run away. He just plods along to the next area where Kane can hit him with something or slam him into something. This kind of thing was also why a lot of the hardcore title matches without Crash Holly were boring. They usually just look like walking tours of the arena.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

AlmightyPants posted:

I've just started watching wrestling after not doing so for most of 20 years. I have a pair of questions that I figure you goons will know the answers to.

1. I vaguely remember some wrestler way back when who would shoot some sort of colored mist out of his mouth, possibly as a finisher. How on earth do they pull that one off? Do they conceal a spray of some sort in their mouth for the duration of the match?

2. Likewise, the guys who pop up an hour or two into the show who seem to have been hiding under the ring up until then. Do they seriously hide them under there before the audience arrives? Or is there some sort of stage magic poo poo going on where they bring them down when no one's looking? I can't imagine it's all that great to be cramped up under a ring for 3 or 4 hours with dudes landing above you all the time.

I also assume that there's some crew under there for the collapsing ring or throwing a guy through the floor of the ring spots that I've seen on youtube, moving poo poo and putting some sort of padding in the right spot? They must have that rehearsed as to where the right spot to drop the guy is?

1. You said you hadn't watched in twenty years so you are probably remembering The Great Muta, though Tajiri also does this. Other than that, what LividLiquid said is correct. In Japan, different color mists are supposed to have different poison effects. But I'll let you google Yinling the Erotic Terrorist yourself.

2. I don't know exact details of what a gimmicked ring that someone comes out of involves, but there is one story of Mr. Perfect leaving a poo poo under the ring to troll whoever had to stay under there for a ring reveal later. A trap door meant for the Ultimate Warrior to use also severely injured Davey Boy Smith, although I may be misremembering details there.

And yeah occasionally there is a really gimmicked ring for when they need the floor to collapse.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Liquid Communism posted:

I love the one where a beatdown face is desperately going for a hot tag, and the heel's partner pulls his partner off the apron just before he gets there.

Scratch that, I love pretty much -all- tag spots.

I just love when a guy puts effort into the hot tag. See: Every New Age Outlaws match, where Road Dogg would get worked over, manage to get to the middle of the ring and do a loving Matrix-esque dive to Billy to tag him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

A well-executed THE HOT TAG! is one of the best things in pro-wrestling :allears:

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Quasipox posted:

Personally, I love stuff like the Boo/Yay punch exchanges, the raising the arm three times to see if the guy passed out, and the old Guerrero "hit the mat with chair, toss to opponent, get him DQ'ed" spot.

This is in Firepro and I laugh every time I see it.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Stone Cold giving beers to people in a sign of peace and then stunning them afterwards never gets old. Vince was especially good at selling the confused hopefulness at getting a beer and then the utter destruction of the stunner afterwards.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

How fast should a pin count technically be? 1 per second?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Writer Cath posted:

Which cliches do you guys hate?
1. Segments where somebody sees something that nobody else (except the television audience) can see.
2. Wrestlers inviting the cameraman to a private conversation in their dressing room. Bonus points if they're discussing secret plans.
3. When a guy, not in the middle of a match, takes out a bunch of other guys with one punch or instant finishers.

Happy Happyist posted:

Any time a commentator is blindly, illogically heel.
Also this.

Quasipox posted:

1. Whenever somebody actually hits a high-risk move into/out of the corner (Punk's running knee/running bulldog is both!)
2. Hitting an opponent repeatedly in the corner (Jake's elbows, Flair's chops, Kobashi's chop/lariat flurry)
3. Chain wrestling that isn't just a brief set-piece.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jan 10, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Rick Martel cartwheeling out of irish whip attempts was pretty much the coolest thing ever.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I've always liked it when 5 or 6 guys gang up on a big strong dude and start hammering him until he suddenly explodes and they all go flying off.

I also like this spot when it happens in wrestling, usually Show in the Royal Rumble.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

LividLiquid posted:

The mist is done with balloons filled with coloring that they bite into, then mix with spit shortly before the spot, I believe.

I've heard that, and I think I read that Tajiri had a tablet he'd just chew up and mix with his spit.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

You'd think holding balloons in your mouth while wrestling would be a really bad idea.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I have two cliches that I hate regarding tag-team matches, and you don't see them much these days, but it used to happen weekly in the 80's/early 90s.

1. The heel team is getting heat on the face, and when the ref's back is turned, the heels do a fake-tag in (either ignoring an actual tag, or clapping). Ref doesn't think anything of it. Later, when the face is going for the hot tag, he makes it, but the ref's back is turned. The ref immediately sends the face back to the corner because he didn't see the tag. This used to be so common and I know it was supposed to make me mad as a heel spot, but it'd always be within 2-3 minutes of the ref ignoring it for the heels, it was just so inconsistent.

2. The face is again in peril, getting really beaten down and attempting to crawl to the corner for the hot tag. He finally does, and his partner comes in and cleans house, while both heels bump and feed for him. Seconds later, the previously beaten-down face is back in the ring doing double-team spots on the heels. And depending on the skill-level of the worker, hardly selling at all. This would be a weekly occurrence on TV and it always shattered my suspension of disbelief. The guy would go from crawling like he was paralyzed from the waist down, to doing highspots after tagging out and recovering for 11 seconds.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

You'd think holding balloons in your mouth while wrestling would be a really bad idea.

Well, I've also read about guys holding razor blades on their tongue, which sounds like bullshit, but it's likely there were carnies dumb enough to do it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Red posted:

I've heard that, and I think I read that Tajiri had a tablet he'd just chew up and mix with his spit.

Yeah, he mentions it in his shoot interview. It's a little tablet that he keeps in his wrist tape. It's also why Muta produces more mist than Tajiri, because Muta just uses the balloon method.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Tajiri's mist comes from his venom gland, and I won't hear otherwise.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

1. Segments where somebody sees something that nobody else (except the television audience) can see.

Things like The Warrior appearing in the mirror obviously took it to the extreme, but ever since backstage segments became such a huge part of the show in the mid-90s, I have been fascinated by the inconsistent and nonsensical rules that govern when a wrestler knows they are on camera.

When the wrestlers are shown backstage, unless they're being interviewed, they don't acknowledge that the cameras are there, as if they're normal characters on a TV show. But that doesn't make any sense because they know they are on a TV show and are sometimes shown to watch that very show. And the announcers apparently exist in both the real and fictional worlds. They see everything we see, but often become involved in the very story lines they are watching with us. And of course any of this could get tossed out the window if it's necessary for a particular segment.

The only other entertainment franchise I can think of that works by these kind of rules are the Muppets. It's probably no coincidence that I was such a fan of both growing up.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Did WWE Have any backstagesegments (excluding promos) before the Razor/Goldust scrap from late 95?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Did WWE Have any backstagesegments (excluding promos) before the Razor/Goldust scrap from late 95?

You mean like Razor beating up Owen with a trash can in January '93?

Or Tenryu/Kabuki beating up Lex Luger in a hallway at the '94 Royal Rumble?

There are plenty of backstage fights/brawls before the start of the Attitude era.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

Sure, the Megapowers explode. Hogan's getting looked at by a trainer and Savage beats the poo poo out of him after accusing him of being into Elizabeth.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I forgot about the examples just provided. For some reason I thought WWE had hyped the Goldust/Ramon backstage brawl as the first of it's kind. I think it might have been in a Raw magazine. Thanks for the correction!

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Sure, the Megapowers explode. Hogan's getting looked at by a trainer and Savage beats the poo poo out of him after accusing him of being into Elizabeth.

Which he totally, obviously was.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Looking at the promos in retrospect, it seems that more of it was a shoot than kayfabe. At the time most folks didn't know any different, but reality bled over pretty heavily in that feud.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I forgot about the examples just provided. For some reason I thought WWE had hyped the Goldust/Ramon backstage brawl as the first of it's kind. I think it might have been in a Raw magazine. Thanks for the correction!

Don't forget, just because it wasn't actually true, doesn't mean WWE didn't claim it at the time.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Diabolik900 posted:

Don't forget, just because it wasn't actually true, doesn't mean WWE didn't claim it at the time.

That's true, WWE frequently revises their history. I think it was a Raw Magazine or some special issue counting down the 100 greatest moments in Raw history. I had forgotten about the examples Red provided, but I can't believe I forgot about the Mega Powers exploding, seeing that I just watched that segment a few weeks ago.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I loving LOVE Savage run-ins like that, because he'd loving CHEESE IT. Like when he attacked Jake Roberts during their feud as Jake was heading to the ring and Savage comes bombing out of the gorilla position like a bat out of hell and clocks Jake with a stage light.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

VogeGandire posted:

I just love when a guy puts effort into the hot tag. See: Every New Age Outlaws match, where Road Dogg would get worked over, manage to get to the middle of the ring and do a loving Matrix-esque dive to Billy to tag him.

Cena is actually really good at this, which is one of the reasons I really enjoyed him mid-carding it up with a bunch of tag matches the last few months.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CopywrightMMXI posted:

That's true, WWE frequently revises their history. I think it was a Raw Magazine or some special issue counting down the 100 greatest moments in Raw history. I had forgotten about the examples Red provided, but I can't believe I forgot about the Mega Powers exploding, seeing that I just watched that segment a few weeks ago.

Still, most of the WWF's backstage shenanigans happened in front of those generic blue lockers. Most of the backstage stuff happened in generic interviews or pre-taped promos at some other location, but you occasionally had things like Virgil approaching Bret Hart at the '92 Survivor Series to warn him about Yokozuna.

Stuff like brawls backstage were more rare (I recall a Mr. Perfect/Shawn Michaels brawl, on top of a car?), but those emphasized how angry the guys in the feud were. It happens all the time now, but you have an insane amount of hours of wrestling TV to fill.

Then again, that might be more of a product of most wrestling TV programming back then being squash matches.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

AlmightyPants posted:

This one show I went to when I was a kid -- they wheeled down a huge box between matches, let the box sit next to the ring for a little while, then wheeled the box away again. In the next match someone popped out from under the ring. It took me so long to connect those dots.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

AlmightyPants posted:

It's pretty common for the ring crew to come down between matches and fix things up/rig up any pyro at ringside, so I imagine it wouldn't be heard to have a wrestler come out with blacks on over his ring gear and then just go under the ring while the announcers are talking up the next show or during the kiss cam or whatever.

SirDippingSauce
Oct 25, 2012

We're here to interrogate Manly Dan the lumberjack for the murder of wax Stan.

Halloween Jack posted:

Tajiri's mist comes from his venom gland, and I won't hear otherwise.

Tieing back into the "little things you like", I love it when wrestlers that have a mist attack (Muta, Tajiri, Ophidian) rub an area under the jaw or something right before the spit, reinforcing the kaybe idea of a venom gland.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
How has nobody mentioned this for worst cliché yet: IT'S A TAG MATCH, PLAYA!

My favourite little spot the one where a heel tag team gets whipped into his partner in the turnbuckle, he falls to the ground while the other collapses face first into his crotch, a spot most popularised by Edge and Christian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

The Megapowers thing also led to the best, most hate filled promo ever from Savage right before Mania 5. He sounded sincerely hurt enough to turn it around and want to murder Hogan dead.