Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

It's the final 4 episode, so the next one he's gonna watch. I agree about them being awesome in that ep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Great characters both of them - here's Sangmin dancing (no real spoilers in this video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJuVlRn89bw

btw I noticed Bumdidlyumptious said on Twitter she's going to be slower subbing from now on because she's back at work.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jan 7, 2014

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

That is the best behind the scenes clip ever.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Alright finally caught up and watched episode 4 today. Man poo poo is getting super tense and real now. Also I pretty much like everyone on the show except for maybe Doohee. I'm scared of the death matches going forward now.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Donkay NOoo posted:

It's the final 4 episode, so the next one he's gonna watch. I agree about them being awesome in that ep.

I just saw that one. On the final now! I did NOT expect that elimination in the second-last episode.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Gah, I came to post about Jinho coming out of retirement to play Broodwar and got beat to the punch! I think he'll do pretty well in the tournament, but then I'm biased because of his immaculate Genius play.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Probably too much BW talk for this thread incoming but: Think about when he and Boxer were at the top of the game. That was basically a decade ago! It was an exciting time for BW and that's why they're legends but they've long since faded and been surpassed. The one guy from that era that had the most staying power was NaDa aka the Genius Terran aka Jinho's guest in season one! But Jinho himself not so much. He got bounced in the preliminaries of every major league from 2007 through his retirement in 2011 and even his retirement is now a few years old. The one thing you can say is that he took games off modern legends Bisu and Jaedong, so I guess he can gameplan well for big matches, but he wasn't winning consistently anywhere and even that was 3-4 years ago. I'll be pulling for him though. Maybe he's clever enough to pull a few wins out of his hat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1rP4f-YE_I

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 7, 2014

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
God drat it, I have a serious moby earworm since I binged through season 1 last weekend.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Semi-related, but it looks like Jinho's got enough of a confidence boost from this to come out of retirement. Wow, beaten. And hard.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Latest update from the subber is that it'll be out today some time, slight delay because it 'needs a lot of captions to make it easy to follow'. Going to hope this means a delightfully complicated episode.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
At work, I just had a revelation on how to solve a programming problem I was having trouble with.

Extreme Ways started playing on Pandora.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Here's a big season two interview I grabbed from teamliquid where the subber posts. Also, apparently Jinho did a show about Puzzle and Dragons with Jungmoon from season one, and they also made... this together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIw4JxWx6-Q

YellOw: I found out really late. I confirmed my appearance and got the cast list later on and that's when I found out about BoxeR. On one hand I was happy, but on the other I could see through BoxeR's intentions. I've been close to BoxeR since our progamer days. Personally I always felt that BoxeR was really overrated when he was a progamer so I think this is a good opportunity to show that to everyone.

Producer: I've called BoxeR before in season 1. There was the guest special and I called him occasionally asking him to appear on the show. At the time he was the coach of a progaming team, but he retired soon after. Then he called me first saying he could appear on the show and that's how he joined the cast."

Noh Hong Chul: I'm afraid of YellOw who's armed with experience and skills. Lawyer Lim Yoon Sun is also a dark horse. I think I was cast because of my scam artist image.

When I'm playing the games I tend to think about what story and characters I should make, but if you start thinking about those things in 'The Genius 2' you fall behind. That's how strong the cast's desire to win is.

I have a specific genre that I like which is the deduction and psychological type like in 'Infinite Challenge'. But I think 'The Genius 2' is the program that has the most evolved form of this type of show. I came to have fun, but couldn't understand the situation. I was wondering what was going on. The fun in 'Infinite Challenge' and here is different. 'Infinite Challenge's fun comes from the story, but 'The Genius 2' is about survival. I can't be too specific, but currently 'The Genius 2' is a show where I go with no thoughts and come back hollow. It's that kind of hugely fun show.

Sangmin: It's the first time I've seen Noh Hong Chul on a broadcast with a stiff face. He has no confidence and there's no soul in his laughter. I think observation skills are my greatest weapon and in my eyes, Hong Chul is incredibly tense.

BoxeR: It was a show I really wanted to appear in. I heard from the producer that YellOw could end up not appearing on it, so I said to him "If YellOw isn't there, how do you expect me to adapt and show my full ability? You have to give him a champion seed" and convinced him to get YellOw as well. There's actually some good points and some points that I can't accept about YellOw winning season 1. YellOw and my head to head score is pretty even. I just managed to win more on big stages. But seeing YellOw suddenly win through this program, I just couldn't accept that reality. That's why I decided to appear on the show. I'm struggling to adapt to the games, but once I've gotten used to it, I'll be a scary force.

Sangmin: Since season 2 is after season 1 has been aired, a lot of very smart people have joined the cast. They must have also analyzed the broadcast so they all have a high understanding of the games. I could relax in season 1, but I have no room to do that now. The contestants have a very strong determination to win. I think Lim Yoon Sun is especially amazing. Season 2 has been very taxing on me.

Yoo Jung Hyun: It was really hard for me to adjust to the atmosphere since it's been so long since I was last on a broadcast. I thought I had suffered everything when I was a congressman, but on 'The Genius 2', much younger kids were doing it so it was more annoying. So I really didn't want to come to this press conference, but since it was in the area I just popped by to say hello. I'm also really annoyed that they're not giving us food. I've never felt refreshed after a recording.

I want to give hope to old people. Gura fell in episode 6, and people were saying that they thought I'd be eliminated in the 2nd or 3rd episode. How ridiculous.

Nam Hwee Jong: I don't feel any competition with Seoul University.
Lee Doo Hee: I think I'll be cursed a lot after the articles go out, but I don't pay attention to local universities. I applied for KAIST and was rejected before, so whenever I see a KAIST student it's a bit sucky.

Sangmin: I heard a saying I'd never heard before through YellOw. I can't reveal it because it was a R19 saying, but it was a saying filled with a desire to win. (Reporters urge him to reveal it). It surprised me to hear "shut your teeth" instead of "shut your mouth".

Sangmin: Since this a reality show there's not much time to think. I think YellOw is especially quick at using his brain.

Noh Hong Chul: I don't know if it's because YellOw was a progamer, but his instantaneous judging of the situation is really fast. Also because the alliances change constantly you need a really good personality, but YellOw's sociability is really solid.

YellOw: Since season 1 was the first time the program aired, I was busy feeling things out. This time, everyone's prepared and determined. The competition is fierce. I wanted to show the aura of a champion, but it's really tough for me. It's really intense and fun.

Producer: There were some people talking about the fairness of YellOw and Sangmin appearing on the show again, but because our program is a variety show, we thought mostly about how to make it fun for the viewers.

Noh Hong Chul: The other contestants make their presence known, but for Doo Hee it's like he's there and then he's not. It's like he's not there, but then he's got his hands in something. So people were really surprised. I didn't really expect anything from him, but I now understand why he joined the cast.

Noh Hong Chul: Because of my personality, if I'm acquainted with someone I tend to stay in contact for a long time. So I've stayed in touch with Lim Yoon Sun over that time. Although we don't get to see each other often, we do occasionally have dinner. I also had an advantage because I knew Lim Yoon Sun's tendencies. In a way I started out with more information. It was good for me in the games because I knew how she reacted when she's worked up.

Sangmin: It won't be easy to overcome YellOw's progamer temperament. The other cast members struggle to maintain their focus until the end of the game, but YellOw doesn't falter until the result is decided. In season 1, YellOw became a different person whenever there was a death match. Whenever the odds become unfavorable, other people would lose their concentration, but YellOw quickly brushes it aside and returns to a normal state of mind.

Yoo Jung Hyun: There's no word to describe YellOw. There's an over 10 year difference between us, but within the games, that age difference isn't allowed. Outside of the show he's extremely formal, but in the program he calls out to me with "hey" and it makes me really not want to face him. If I was to choose who I didn't want to face the most in a death match, it would be YellOw. If I end up meeting YellOw, I want to surrender.

Yoo Jung Hyun: I think BoxeR joined the show just to beat YellOw. Having a definite goal is BoxeR's character and in order to achieve this goal he seems like a flexible and sly guy with something to hide.

Jaekyung: After watching season 1 I had deified YellOw. He was a godlike existence. But after seeing him in person, he was a really scary person. I felt very afraid.

BoxeR: In a game I control the units with my commands within the game. But in 'The Genius 2' I have to face people I don't know well and resolve things through words, but I have no experience in this sort of thing. Since I'm not very knowledgeable about these things I'm getting caught up in stuff. I think I need to collect my thoughts and prepare well. Only then will I be able to take down the huge mountain in front of me. So I want to go through the death match multiple times to show my skills to people.

Producer: Since it's a reality show, the cast occasionally unconsciously says things swayed by their emotions. While filming, the words "Shut your teeth" came out of YellOw's mouth and it was so unfamiliar to me that it left a big impression.

Noh Hong Chul: YellOw is really friendly. He curses with people he's never seen before. It gave me the impression that he was a very open person with a good personality.

Lee Da Hye: The male contestants really don't care about their image. They act in ways that make me question whether you can really act that way. They're good at lying and betraying people and never trust others. I was surprised that there were people like this. YellOw is a character who's sharp, says what's on his mind and is skilled, but you just can't hate him. Even when he says something bad, it doesn't feel offensive. He has a humane charm that makes you unable to hate him. I think he'll get to the top 3 easily.

(Sunggyu thinks Eun Ji Won will win)
Eun Ji Won: Why? I don't think I'll be able to win. I think I'll just be a prop that's helpful when people ally together. I'm not confident I'll be able to survive a 1v1 death match, so I don't think I'll be able to win.
Noh Hong Chul: I've known Eun Ji Won for a long time, but in this game he has a charm that's difficult to hate. Greedy people tend to attract scorn, and I've known Jiwon hyung for a long time, but he acts in ways that make me wonder whether he has any greed at all. If you see him being harsh, or worked up, or being greedy in this show, that will become Jiwon's Achilles's Heel and it will come back to bite him like a boomerang in a death match.

Nam Hwee Jong: I was a Zerg player and a fan of YellOw, but after meeting him in person we were just friends of the same age and it was great to see his human side.

Lee Da Hye: YellOw reminded me of Go genius Lee Sae Dol. He's smart and has a down to earth charm that makes it impossible to hate him.

YellOw: Because Sangmin hyung's such a good speaker, there are many occasions where I look back later and a lot of things that he said that were just stupid, but I couldn't help being swayed by him. It would be really great to have him on my side, but I'm much more worried that he's aiming for me behind my back.

Sangmin: I joined the show again because I'm desperate for the prize money. Out of the 13 contestants, there's probably no one who's as desperate for the prize money as me. I said this in season 1 as well, but I want to co-produce the next season of Mnet's 'God of Music' with the money. I want to win this season no matter what and make 'God of Music 2'. I don't know why they're making boring shows like 'Enemy of Broadcasts' instead of 'God of Music 2'.

(Asked about who's better looking)
BoxeR: There's the pros and cons of me being tall and YellOw having better proportions. I can't say who's better.
YellOw: Looks are subjective. BoxeR is tall but he has a big head and I have better proportions but I'm short. To be honest, I think I'm better looking.

(Talking about BoxeR YellOw rivalry)
YellOw: That's nonsense. Before I retired, when we faced each other near the end I won most of the time. From that moment on, BoxeR was nothing to me. BoxeR isn't my rival. Isn't it just BoxeR who thinks we're rivals?

Producer: Most of the games in 'The Genius' are based on tabletop RPGs. What this means is that you can't simply understand the rules and use your head. You need to have conversations with the other contestants and form relationships to play out the games. Also, because you're forced to play with other people, a "person's charm" plays a big part. The people that viewers have good feelings towards are likely to be well liked by the other players too. Since personal relationships and conversation are such a big part of it, these things are likely to be the key to victory.

It's meaningless to differentiate between male or female. 'The Genius' is simply about 'people you need' and 'people you don't need' (laugh).

Producer: This time we worked in cooperation with a board game company which introduced us to a lot of new board games for use as references. After season 1 ended in July, we prepared 12 main match games and 10 death matches in 3 months.

Producer: We gave as much consideration as possible to make sure that a wide demographic could understand the games. I thought that we needed to improve the understanding of the games. When the game had complicated rules, we carried out an advance rehearsal. Of course, if a rehearsal is meaningless or a rehearsal would lessen the fun of the game, we didn't do this and played the game straight away. But it wasn't very easy to shine a light on the tangled up relationships with simple games. So even if people don't understand the program's rules at all, I hope that we'll at least be able to make it fun.

Sangmin: Sunggyu and I still keep in touch. I don't see anyone in season 2 to form a partnership like I did with Sunggyu. It won't be easy to win.

Jaekyung: I was really impressed with Sunggyu's role in season 1. So I wanted to get advice from him. Luckily, Sunggyu and I go to the same hairdresser, so I decided I was going to make sure to ask him if we met. But after it was decided that I would be on the show, Sunggyu left on a concert tour. So I still haven't been able to get any advice.

Lee Da Hye: Since I'm a pro, I'm very competitive. I hate losing. If I go to a death match, I want to face a strong opponent so I want to play against YellOw.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Jinho is playing this a lot like Boston Rob played survivor in the season he won. He has great game skills, because he thinks outside the box e.g. swapping the stacks of sun, moon, star and never betrays anyone, but stays true to his word. He had 3 spies working FOR him, and was always in the winning team. I really hope they will take him out sooner rather then later, because he could just run the table on everyone. Especially because he has a lot of people who WANT to work with him, which works out great in the case of random, production enforced teams.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Fast Luck posted:

Noh Hong Chul: The other contestants make their presence known, but for Doo Hee it's like he's there and then he's not. It's like he's not there, but then he's got his hands in something. So people were really surprised. I didn't really expect anything from him, but I now understand why he joined the cast.

Now I understand why I like Doohee so much, he plays these types of games the same way I play these types of games. Lay low while keeping a hand in events and let the big players wreck each other. Also look at him dance in that Sangmin clip! He's an adorable goofy nerd and if YellOw v BoxeR isn't the final match then I want Doohee to be there. :unsmith:

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
Thanks for the interview, Fast Luck.

Fast Luck posted:

Noh Hong Chul: Because of my personality, if I'm acquainted with someone I tend to stay in contact for a long time. So I've stayed in touch with Lim Yoon Sun over that time. Although we don't get to see each other often, we do occasionally have dinner. I also had an advantage because I knew Lim Yoon Sun's tendencies. In a way I started out with more information. It was good for me in the games because I knew how she reacted when she's worked up.

I'm really hoping for a Yoonsun/Hongchul final because they have personal history, and I think it might happen. They're the two best social players left right now.

GaussianCopula posted:

Jinho is playing this a lot like Boston Rob played survivor in the season he won. He has great game skills, because he thinks outside the box e.g. swapping the stacks of sun, moon, star and never betrays anyone, but stays true to his word. He had 3 spies working FOR him, and was always in the winning team. I really hope they will take him out sooner rather then later, because he could just run the table on everyone. Especially because he has a lot of people who WANT to work with him, which works out great in the case of random, production enforced teams.

I agree, the closer he gets to the end and the less he has to rely on his social skills, the more dangerous he's going to get. He basically had season one locked up the second he defeated Sunggyu.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I dunno, people like him, he's been honest, and he's the best at the games, but if he finds himself in something like the winning streak game, or sun moon star, or quattro for a death match, do you really think a majority of people will be willing to help him? Maybe if he hadn't just won last time... And even other games like Tactical Yutnori and Indian Poker, I'm sure he's pretty beatable in them even if he is the best at them. It just takes someone bold to pick him, like Sunggyu picking the poker player Jimmy Cha last season. Survivor doesn't have a mechanism where Boston Rob automatically would go up for elimination for losing a challenge or because an opponent nominated him.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jan 9, 2014

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx
You're right, although even the group-oriented games seem more complex and manipulable this time than that loving boring rock paper scissors popularity contest was. Hopefully that poo poo has been completely retired and if the worst happens at least it'll potentially be an exciting Jinho vs Everyone situation.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Ep5 is up even though she didn't tweet it yet.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Cute n Popular posted:

Ep5 is up even though she didn't tweet it yet.

She tweeted it out a while ago, but apparently she can't get part 2 to encode on dailymotion for some reason.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Episode 5 Such a shame that there is only one girl player left now in the game. Laser chess was definitely in Yohwans favor. I would wanted to see how that game would have played out if it was Jinho against him though. Preview for next episode looks promising.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I was very glad to see that the reveal from last weeks preview was just a well played trick that spoiled nothing. That deathmatch was pretty well suited for Yohwan, that is for certain, but really I think it was a pretty lame deathmatch. It seems that if played correctly the only way to win is to use your opponents laser against them.

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Jinho figuring out that with one rule passed they could get an infinite amount of red coins was genius, but that ended up being too little too late. Jinho is looking incredibly strong this season, isn't this the first episode that he didn't win and get a token of life?

JakeP posted:

I was very glad to see that the reveal from last weeks preview was just a well played trick that spoiled nothing. That deathmatch was pretty well suited for Yohwan, that is for certain, but really I think it was a pretty lame deathmatch. It seems that if played correctly the only way to win is to use your opponents laser against them.

Deathmatch talk: So at first I was excited to see that Khet was the deathmatch game this week. Khet is a fantastic game, and like chess there are many strategies you can implement and a lot of depth to the gameplay.

However, they removed one rule of Khet that ruined this week's game for me. In Khet, the row that your laser is on cannot be occupied by an opponent's tile (The row facing to nothing at the start, not the row with the king in it. You can notice it on the regular sized gameboards before the main game that there are little eyes of Horus on a certain row, which indicate only a certain color can occupy that space. Without that rule in place, it made it so that the best strategy was to just completely block off an opponent's laser.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Thought that was a pretty darn great episode. Game was really well designed, could definitely have watch a few episodes just of people playing that. Sucks that nobody really got to enact any elaborate plans and it pretty much just became a numbers game - at least we got an amazing Jinho insight even if he didn't get to enact it. At first I thought it wouldn't have worked because Junghyun could have just negated the reds but going by what actually happened Jinho could have then just restored their value anyway. Interesting that a celebs vs. non-celebs rift has opened up. Although I think they actually mean TV personalities vs. the rest, right? Deathmatch did end up being a little dull but the idea was good and it looked great at least. Would be happy to see it come back if they redesigned it to discourage such defensive play - just make the laser harder to totally block?

One thing that annoyed me was that Yoonsun choosing Yohwan for the deathmatch was totally dumb, right? On a social level he was pretty much the only person who helped her all episode and ultimately put his fate in her hands, and on a more practical level he had barely any garnets and is pretty much always going to be one of the strongest possible opponents in any conceivable deathmatch because of his skillset

Not really relevant to today's episode, but one interesting paradox of the show that comes up a bit is that in most episodes (at least non-team games) if you aren't the loser or the winner then it's almost always more beneficial to be in the loser's circle of friends than the winner's because the winner can only save one person but the loser can basically decide any number of people are safe that week if they just choose someone outside that group.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 10, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Please don't put preview talk into a current episode post without indicating it as such.EDIT: Cheers!

Speaking of spoilers, did anyone else not that we didn't get any "1 hour later" type flash forwards this episode? I think this is literally the first episode that hasn't had them in the show so far. I wonder if they've made a decision to remove them (though they seem to be keeping the preview at the beginning of the episode).

As for my impression of the match, I enjoyed the main match this week, but it had an element that makes it exceptionally difficult for someone to come up with an awesome strategy; unknown rules (e.g. the players individual bills). When all rules are known, players are more likely to come up with awesome game breaking strategies. With unknown rules, it often comes down to who has the biggest alliance, which is pretty lame for a show of this nature (yes, alliances and the social game are important, but in a show called the Genius game, facilitating awesome strategies should be more important). That said, Jinho deserves serious credit for coming up the infinite red coin strategy (though I was surprised no one immediately questioned for clarification about vetoing without a wild card. As an aside, I wonder if Sangmin realised how exceptionally powerful his individual bill was to begin with. I suspect not, since he asked Doohee to snipe him).

One thing I'm starting to get WAY suspicious of is producer manipulation. I think it's super sketchy when players get roles assigned by production in a non-randomized way. Since they can just give more powerful roles to people they want to keep around for ratings, i.e. Sangmin, an obvious fan favourite, from this episode.

I'm also suspicious that they want to keep Yohman around so he can battle Jinho at some point, so the introduction of laser chess which plays incredibly strongly to certain skills that Yohman obviously has in spades seemed like a pretty big coincidence.

Then there's the woman host straight up telling Hongchul to take a photo. It was funny sure, but really, what the hell? They should never be allowed to give hints to the players.

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 10, 2014

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Ah sorry, I deleted the preview talk - it was pretty mild but I appreciate that people like to go in totally blind (I'm halfway there, always skip the preview at the beginning). Oh, and I thought that the producers assigned the roles in this game at first but just re-watched it and you can just about tell that each player freely selects their card from a tray. Agreed that there have definitely been times in the past when the producers have forced the setup when it could have been done randomly. To be honest, in this kind of game where some cards are clearly way more powerful than others it wouldn't be that bad an idea to just fix it so that the player with the lowest number of garnets gets the most powerful card etc, the second least the second most powerful, etc.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 10, 2014

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

GraPar posted:

To be honest, in this kind of game where some cards are clearly way more powerful than others it wouldn't be that bad an idea to just fix it so that the player with the lowest number of garnets gets the most powerful card etc, the second least the second most powerful, etc.

I agree with this in spirit (if not necessarily in practice for this particular game as it gives too much information to the players as to which cards are most powerful; something that may not be apparent otherwise); there need to be more reasons for having a high garnet count. As it is, there are some small benefits to having garnets, but really, all that matters is that the total collective garnet pool be large. In order for them to be used to facilitate awesome plays, the garnets need to be made to have a larger (positive) tangle impact on the individuals who have them. In fact, so many people have said on the show "high garnet counts make you more likely to be chosen for the deathmatch" that it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, even though people don't necessarily even WANT garnets. Right now people are all "sure, I'll give you half my garnets, why the gently caress not?".

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!

GraPar posted:

One thing that annoyed me was that Yoonsun choosing Yohwan for the deathmatch was totally dumb, right? On a social level he was pretty much the only person who helped her all episode and ultimately put his fate in her hands, and on a more practical level he had barely any garnets and is pretty much always going to be one of the strongest possible opponents in any conceivable deathmatch because of his skillset

I can't speak for what she was thinking, but if I was in her shoes it would have either been him or Jinho. She doesn't know what game is going to be before choosing and anyone else she could have figured would have a lot more help from the rest of the contestants. If she got into a popularity deathmatch with pretty much anyone else it was over for her, Yohwan was probably the safest choice.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I thought the game was pretty well designed, just that in retrospect no one on the other alliance was aware of Sangmin's card or thought vetoing without a wildcard would do anything. Anyways the magician was right that Sangmin/Hongchul/Jiwon would flock together and its probably a good idea to break them up at this point.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only

Shakugan posted:

Then there's the woman host straight up telling Hongchul to take a photo. It was funny sure, but really, what the hell? They should never be allowed to give hints to the players.

Have you ever watched someone take 10 minutes to type in a bunch of visual information to a smartphone before? It's infuriating just being nearby. As soon as they showed him typing it into his phone I was saying exactly what unnamed woman host said. Besides, it didn't have much of anything to do with the game considering the board was constantly on display and the number of chips everyone had wasn't the core strategy, it was about making alliances and then using those to kill the minority regardless of what they had chipwise.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Shakugan posted:

I'm also suspicious that they want to keep Yohman around so he can battle Jinho at some point, so the introduction of laser chess which plays incredibly strongly to certain skills that Yohman obviously has in spades seemed like a pretty big coincidence.

You think they just keep that gigantic deathmatch around just in case? Compared to any of the others it is the most complex set they have uesd.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I was disappointed that the deathmatch ended up being enough of a foregone conclusion to not even warrant :siren: EXTREME WAYS :siren:, this must be the first episode without it. The game really needed some kind of proximity rule to forbid boxing in the laser, maybe they'll bring the game back readjusted like with Guyl-Hap. The set is too cool to be a one-off.

Also I can't be the only one who has hoping Yohwan would gift a chip to Sangmin at the end for the ultimate :master: moment

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 10, 2014

NeuroticLich
Oct 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tonfa posted:

I was disappointed that the deathmatch ended up being enough of a foregone conclusion to not even warrant :siren: EXTREME WAYS :siren:, this must be the first episode without it. The game really needed some kind of proximity rule to forbid boxing in the laser, maybe they'll bring the game back readjusted like with Guyl-Hap. The set is too cool to be a one-off.

http://i.imgur.com/bFQcAbL.jpg In the original game, the spaces with the red eye of Horus, and the spaces with the silver ankhs can only be occupied by a piece of that color. If you so desire, you can block off one side of the opponent's laser, but it's really not worth it usually because you commit a ton of turns to blocking off one side, when your opponent can still aim down the other way! I think them not having a similar rule in place made boxing in the laser completely the best strategy, and made it come down to whoever thought of it first. I mean, they based 99% of it off of an already existing game with that being a rule, they really had no excuse for that not to be active in their minor variation.

What was the change they did with Gyul-Hap? I don't remember that one being modified at all from the first season finale.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

NeuroticLich posted:

What was the change they did with Gyul-Hap? I don't remember that one being modified at all from the first season finale.

They made it so the round ends after a certain amount of turns have passed without a call. The season 1 finale had some awkward moments when both players knew there was only one Hap on the board and calling it out would just give their opponent a free 3 points because they get the first chance to call Gyul, but the game would never end unless someone bit that bullet

Tonfa fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jan 10, 2014

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Loved episode 5. A bit worried about the future because :siren: Preview Spoiler :siren: Everyone seems to be gunning for Jinho :ohdear: .

Also in the episode, when Hong Chul kept asking to be sent to the deathmatch all I could think about was this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOoOP2l_ahQ

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Poor Yoonsun, she worked very hard but could not do anything once the other block that had decided they were going to make her the elimination candidate. And once again Sangmin gets basically a free pass with the '0 chips = 50 chips' bill that all but ensures you are not the elimination candidate and gives you avery good chance of being the outright winner. The game had a lot of great moments but like the first episode giving everyone a randomly determined and different set of game rules gives it a luck factor it should not have.

Loved Jinho and Dohee messing up the set to hide the safe a little more. When it's opened I really hope it contains just another clue. Or maybe someone will use the power tools so clearly hanging on the wall to break it open before the combination is found.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Sacro posted:

Have you ever watched someone take 10 minutes to type in a bunch of visual information to a smartphone before? It's infuriating just being nearby. As soon as they showed him typing it into his phone I was saying exactly what unnamed woman host said. Besides, it didn't have much of anything to do with the game considering the board was constantly on display and the number of chips everyone had wasn't the core strategy, it was about making alliances and then using those to kill the minority regardless of what they had chipwise.

An issue is that that information saved him time, allowing him to snap a photo and then immediately begin forming those alliances, instead of of spending ages copying the info.. An even bigger problem is that the host reminding Hongchul about the camera on the phone is likely what inspired his perfect crime (which was absolutely hilarious btw, what is Junghyun even doing on this show, really?). Though it didn't end up influencing the game, what seems like innocent information supplied from the host had the potential to really affect the game in Hongchul's favour.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
S2E5 phone talk: I would guess the suggestion came in because he was using the phone to type in the gem type information, which showed he had some level of comfort with the device, while the others all focused on writing it on paper.

The episode was also a clear product tie in for the phone anyway, with the boxes for them in all the rooms, so I'm sure that was just part of the promo.

Teek fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 10, 2014

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
in season 2 episode 2:

The elimination was once again totally unfair and one-sided because one guy had all of the friends. I don't like this mechanic.

Also, what's the deal with the lawyer and the comedian? As part of her game show victory she got loads of money and the choice to blind date... anyone? so she picked him because she thinks he's hot? Then what happened? Did he just not show up and she got embarrassed on live tv or something?

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

redreader posted:

in season 2 episode 2:

The elimination was once again totally unfair and one-sided because one guy had all of the friends. I don't like this mechanic.

The serve to set the tone for the rest of the series to ensure that everyone doesn't spend the entire show betraying one another just because. They certainly make for lame death matches, but they ensure future main matches stay interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

redreader posted:

Also, what's the deal with the lawyer and the comedian? As part of her game show victory she got loads of money and the choice to blind date... anyone? so she picked him because she thinks he's hot? Then what happened? Did he just not show up and she got embarrassed on live tv or something?

I think they showed footage of it, didn't they? It was just a filmed gag date I think, but from what I've read, they remained in contact periodically afterwards.