Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

butts420 posted:

When Ants Marching came on it gave me serious Bro Rape vibes.

This episode was awesome. The commenters at the AV Club are less thrilled with this episode, for some reason. Don't understand why.

I was wondering if I was the only one that caught this. There's another reference to a Derrick Comedy bit with the Radiohead song (albeit "Creep" was sung in the episode, and the one in this bit was "Karma Police").

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rcx4_CszaDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zvTRQr7ns8

I wonder if there were other Derrick Comedy references in the episode. :raise:

Anyway, that episode was a lot of fun! It's so great to be able to enjoy Community proper again. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
The random rear end Ben Folds cameo still has my head spinning.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I guess we know who was growing that small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium.

He apparently graduated and became a botany professor.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

superjew posted:

I guess we know who was growing that small patch of cannabis behind the gymnasium.

He apparently graduated and became a botany professor.

After he went on that cruise, of course.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Surprise! Community rises to a 1.4. Maybe football did have an effect? Even Sean and MJ rose, but only to 1.0. So they're still goners.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Man, I think there's actually a chance for another season? Even if NBC isn't swayed by Sony to have it another go, I think there's a chance Sony may have a viable product for someone like Netflix to give it at least another season, or at least bolster Crackle with something big name.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ahahahahahaha, the thought that anyone considers Community "big name" is kinda ridiculous. It's critically praised, but that only gets you so far.

Those ratings are nuts, though. I have hope again. :unsmith:

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

MrAristocrates posted:

Ahahahahahaha, the thought that anyone considers Community "big name" is kinda ridiculous. It's critically praised, but that only gets you so far.

Big name as opposed to these critical original darlings currently on the Crackle platform: "Bannen Way”, “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee”, “Chosen”, “Cleaners”, “Trenches”.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Teek posted:

Big name as opposed to these critical original darlings currently on the Crackle platform: "Bannen Way”, “Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee”, “Chosen”, “Cleaners”, “Trenches”.

Look, Community costs well over a million dollars (in the two million range, last I heard) an episode to make, and that's before post-production.

I don't think "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" has the same kind of overhead.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ashpanash posted:

Have you seen the cars Jerry drives?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

CPColin posted:

That line about protesting the wrong Korea sounded really familiar and I'm ashamed I can't remember where I know it from.

I think it was also used in the episode where Shirley gave birth.

No wait, that line was "I didn't even know there was a difference between North and South Korean barbecue" (after the riots during the food festival started).

Close enough.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

ashpanash posted:

Look, Community costs well over a million dollars (in the two million range, last I heard) an episode to make, and that's before post-production.

That was part of my point. Community has name recognition and gets mainstream media coverage. Whether it works financially or not for Sony is another matter, as it comes down to ___ amount for a new series without any public awareness vs ___ amount for something with wider mainstream coverage. Financial viability for something going into a potential sixth season is a big concern, whether Sony wants to invest in it is the question. Would the cost of something like Community be worth it, in exchange for the cost of two other series they had planned in their budget for Crackle originals? If there's a chance Community could end up drawing more eyeballs than those two other planned shows combined, Sony could say it was worth a shot.

Don't take this as me being some wide-eyed dreamer, this could very well be over and done with this year. I'm just wondering if there's enough viability there for Sony to exploit.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 10, 2014

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
Isn't the show set in Colorado, where pot is legal? Did the botany professor actually have any reason to run away?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

When did pot become legal there, just this year?

When is the show now set? I think it showed dates for August on Abed's DVR, so it might still be 2013 there. The fact the show always has varied season start dates makes it hard to tell unless it's a holiday episode or the finale.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Teek posted:

When did pot become legal there, just this year?

When is the show now set? I think it showed dates for August on Abed's DVR, so it might still be 2013 there. The fact the show always has varied season start dates makes it hard to tell unless it's a holiday episode or the finale.
It's been legal to have it for a year, but the sale details were just implemented this month.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I always thought the show was set in California, not Colorado.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No, it is set in Colorado. They had to try to disguise the palm trees on set when they went outside.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's pretty obvious that Greendale is supposed to be Smalltown, USA and yeah maybe they've referenced Colorado on written props, but they've never ever written a story where the geographic location/state laws have mattered to the plot. They aren't going to start now.

Saying Greendale takes place in Colorado is just a another version of "Breaking Bad definitely takes place in 2008 guys it was on a prop!"

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

Naet posted:

I read through this while I watched this morning and I was waiting to see how long it took people to recognize Ben Folds's voice. How did the cameo not tip you guys off?

I want a full version of the asscrack bandit song so bad.

There's a version floating around on mediafire that my friend linked to me, does this count as :filez:

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Anyone else think it was Britta from the first letter's mixed metaphors?

radlum
May 13, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

You mean it wasn't Britta? I thought that that shot of her mistakenly typing her name in the title of her "book" about the ACB was a giveaway; it doesn't make sense, but it is the kind of mistake Britta would make if she was the ACB.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Another good episode, this season is off to a great start. And this episode really looked fantastic. I'm so glad they were able to bring the cinematic look back after two seasons where the show looked like a run-of-the-mill, cheap, cookie-cutter sitcom. Annie picking up the keys with her foot was a great piece of physical comedy. My only gripe is that they felt the need to hang a lampshade on the Jeff-Annie thing after successfully avoiding it entirely in the first two episodes.

Calico Heart posted:

I just assumed it was Chang because of the faculty thing.

Jesus Louise
Jan 4, 2007

They're coming to get you, Barbara.
Was there a reason for all the 90s music? I feel like I missed something there, unless it was just a nod to the fact that serial killer/crime drama was big in the 90s.

osici
Jan 19, 2008
Wheee

radlum posted:

You mean it wasn't Britta? I thought that that shot of her mistakenly typing her name in the title of her "book" about the ACB was a giveaway; it doesn't make sense, but it is the kind of mistake Britta would make if she was the ACB.

That montage at the end was to show it could be any of those people.

Janitor Bob
May 4, 2007
Sweeper Cell Agent

MantisToboggan posted:

My favorite little detail of this episode was that one of the Asscrack Bandit's letters was based on the "Dear Boss" letter, which was possibly written by Jack the Ripper:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Boss_letter

And Buzz Hickey examining a newspaper clipping titled "Police Department Purged in Wake of Ripper Case" during the "They All Could Be The rear end Crack Bandit" scene feels like another reference to Jack the Ripper.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I was really hoping that they would do a call back to the Bare Naked Ladies joke when Dave came up.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I loved the implication that Hickey could be the ripper.

Janitor Bob
May 4, 2007
Sweeper Cell Agent

Emerson Cod posted:

I loved the implication that Hickey could be the ripper.

Right. Not the rear end Crack Bandit -- the actual ripper.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
All the people in the montage were red-herrings, I know the rear end crack bandit was Arthur Leigh Allen even if I can't prove it for sure.

Also, this is a last episode thing, but I liked the set decoration for Hickey's desk. Mostly crime scene photos of dead bodies on his wall.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I thought it was a pretty average episode but the Ben Folds cameo more than made up for it.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Irish Joe posted:

Have you seen the cars Jerry drives?

You couldn't pay me to drive that piece of poo poo Fiat he drives in the Louis C.K. episode.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If Community does last get a season six, I hope Buzz Hickey stays as part of the "study group." Goddamn I love Jonathan Banks despite the fact he only really plays a curmudgeonly dude.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

hcreight posted:

You couldn't pay me to drive that piece of poo poo Fiat he drives in the Louis C.K. episode.

He drives not one, but 2 DeLoreans in the Patton Oswalt ep.

Because the first one breaks.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

BrooklynBruiser posted:

He drives not one, but 2 DeLoreans in the Patton Oswalt ep.

Because the first one breaks.

It was the same DeLorean, but from a different point in the timestream.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

hcreight posted:

That 2 cylinder deathtrap with wicker seats and no doors can fetch over $80,000 at auction.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Calico Heart posted:

Her reading of the first letter reminded me of her trying to tell a scary story in Horror Fiction in Seven Spooky Steps.

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Best episode since the Law & Order one.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Well that was one way to officially get rid of Chevy Chase.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
Another thing that's been far better in this season compared to the last two is the music.

GrandpaPants posted:

If Community does last get a season six, I hope Buzz Hickey stays as part of the "study group." Goddamn I love Jonathan Banks despite the fact he only really plays a curmudgeonly dude.

I think Jonathan Banks is just one of those actors who makes it look easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

radlum posted:

It's because Britta's exactly the type to write a book more for the attention to her self than the actual subject. And to imply she could be the Bandit.

• Locked thread