Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've heard farmers don't reuse seeds anyway to begin with because the only way to guarantee you're gonna grow the same thing yield after yield is to use new seeds (vs second generation seeds due to normally occurring genetic mutations and poo poo).

Depends on what you're growing, where you're growing it, and why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A fb friend posted this. Discuss.

Pee pee doo doo

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

The Midniter posted:

Enjoy your loving goiter.

Eat your goddamn fish you loving baby.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've heard farmers don't reuse seeds anyway to begin with because the only way to guarantee you're gonna grow the same thing yield after yield is to use new seeds (vs second generation seeds due to normally occurring genetic mutations and poo poo).

Noooooooo they lovingly gather the seed grain and keep it hidden and safe in a jar out back behind their quaint little Kinkade cottage and then they sow it by hand with their heads bared out of piety :allears:

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp

therattle posted:

Totally agree with this. The way in which it screws farmers, prevents them from storing or reusing seed (making them buy them and go into debt), leads to monoculture (which has various ecological and disease-resistance implications), etc, is terrifying and bad news for all of us (unless you're a Monsanto or Big Ag stooge).

Now, how about we all engage in some vigorous healthification. Hella healthification, even.

Yeah, no commercial farmers who are buying GMO seeds store seeds from previous crops. And farmers using GMO crops with stuff like Bt in them are advised to keep a reservoir of regular plants so that there's still a place for regular bugs to live, preventing the resistant ones from taking over.

Now, if you want to get into issues with corporate bullshit and monoculture as well as issues with overusing things like RoundUp since you have RoundUp Ready crops, we can totally do that. But GMO plants in and of themselves are generally not that much of an issue and can actually help a lot of people, like with Golden Rice or Bt cotton in India.

e: I should add that the people who are going to reuse seeds - like poor subsistence farmers or people cultivating heirloom varieties - are not going to be able to afford or want to buy GMO seeds so it's not really an issue.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I am exactly eighty-four percent certain that once upon a time there was an rear end in a top hat preachy Astralopithecus who kept telling the others that crushing the femurs of carrion and eating the fatty marrow wasn't a natural diet and immoral and he had had all kinds of problems with digestion and feeling bloated and depressed before he adopted the Cambrium diet instead and just lapped up stinky algae from the shores of Lake Victoria and then he died and nobody gave a gently caress or maybe they just ate him too.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I've slept about twelve hours since Monday. Feels good man :drac:

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

Can sleep make you high?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

In a sense, yes.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Boris Galerkin posted:

Potato farming family. We re-seed a lot of what we grow (well, not literally a lot, one potato makes a lot of babbypotatoseeds). Thankfully Monsanto hasn't hosed our industry...yet. But other people have, so its all good! Everybody fucks the farmers!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Boris Galerkin posted:

They do much more in the developing world, like India. This is emotive and biased but has some facts among the rhetoric:
http://www.globalresearch.ca/the-seeds-of-suicide-how-monsanto-destroys-farming/5329947

Monoculture is a global issue.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Steve Yun posted:

At the second or third fold

Based on my extensive research at Taco bell I can confirm a burrito only begins with the third fold.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Siochain posted:

Potato farming family. We re-seed a lot of what we grow (well, not literally a lot, one potato makes a lot of babbypotatoseeds).
Whats a taterseed look like

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Sjurygg posted:

I am exactly eighty-four percent certain that once upon a time there was an rear end in a top hat preachy Astralopithecus who kept telling the others that crushing the femurs of carrion and eating the fatty marrow wasn't a natural diet and immoral and he had had all kinds of problems with digestion and feeling bloated and depressed before he adopted the Cambrium diet instead and just lapped up stinky algae from the shores of Lake Victoria and then he died and nobody gave a gently caress or maybe they just ate him too.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 10, 2014

phthalocyanine
May 19, 2013

Bob Morales posted:

Eye. Haven't you ever had one sprout on you in the cupboard?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Bob Morales posted:

Little chunks of potato as each eye that forms from the tuber becomes a viable seed. Seeds technically not the correct term, but we call them seed potatoes. Nomenclature aside, we re-use what we plant - that being said, regulations mean we have to have specific fields for the seed potatoes, they have to be treated a certain way, stored a certain way, etc.

So come spring we hire people and have a big machine that cuts the potatoes into lots of little chunks that get delightfully dusted with a fungicide than planted in the ground. Huzzah nature!

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Squashy Nipples posted:

^^^See? Another person with otherwise good taste who doesn't like it. I really pity you, though; I love the stuff.

The cranky cynic in me WANTS to agree with this... but the problem is, I've known a fair number of white people who can't stand cilantro, but have otherwise functional tasters. Always white people, though; never met a colored person with an aversion to cilantro.

Idk, white people also have a propensity to dislike spicy food and ethnic food in general. I still think it is a nurture issue not a nature one.

I see it in my sister's family all the time. The words my niece and nephew use to describe things they like and don't like are the same ones that my sister uses to describe her own prejudices. The one that really irks me is their so called MSG sensitivity.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
This is a good article about how disgust an attribute that is taught, rather than inherent.

edit: found a better article

icehewk fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 10, 2014

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Idk, white people also have a propensity to dislike spicy food and ethnic food in general. I still think it is a nurture issue not a nature one.
White people are often wrong about important subjects like food and women.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Not all of us. Fake allergies make me punchy.

That said my whitebread family loves ethnic stuff, but I think the Irish were selected for people that would eat things besides potatoes in the last century.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

SubG posted:

White people are often wrong about important subjects like food and women.

Wait...

I shouldn't like women?

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

pr0k posted:

Not all of us. Fake allergies make me punchy.

People often assume "I'm crazy allergic to fish, but not shellfish" means "I am faking an allergy and/or exaggerating" until I explain or they witness me exploding into hives. The most recent time was when a friend of mine eating a pork and fish plate used his fork he'd been using to eat fish to pass some pork to me to try, and I spent the next hour trying not to desperately scratch the inside of my own mouth.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Happy Hat posted:

Wait...

I shouldn't like women?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Happy Hat posted:

Wait...

I shouldn't like women?

Or food.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

But I can still like the dance of passion... polka?

Right?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I think Goat's Weed/Black Cobra Chiles are my new favorite utility pepper.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Daeren posted:

People often assume "I'm crazy allergic to fish, but not shellfish" means "I am faking an allergy and/or exaggerating"

Those people are stupid. Even I know that fish != shellfish when it comes to allergens. But people that say "I'm deathly allergic to tomatoes, mushrooms, and bananas, and nothing else" are completely full of poo poo.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

hey Anders,
Jeg er klar til en øl når du er - alternativt så kan du komme op og vi kan sammen finde ud af om der er noget værd at drikke i kælderen (det er der)

/p

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
So much moonlanguage.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Cilantrocoriander tastes like soap to some people? Those poor people.

I'm one of those poor stupid bastards who can't enjoy cilantro because of the taste of it. Soapy is probably the closest descriptor I can put to it. I mean, I can also taste the grassy, kind of peppery notes, but they are just overshadowed by the soapy flavor. And for me, it's really kind of less soap and just more alkaline, kind of like if you put too much baking soda in something.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

I've never seen the purpose of coriander either..

But neither have I of the female condom.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Is there a good recipe that showcases the cilantro taste? I tried putting some dried cilantro on my tongue, but I swear that I don't taste anything at all. I want to try to make something with it, but I've been on a losing streak recently with my food experiments.

I don't think I'd taste it over the other herbs in the recipes I've found so far.

fake edit: The cilantro lemon shrimp with linguine on this page looks promising.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Using dried cilantro is your first mistake, son. Get yourself some fresh leafy stuff and heap it on a taco.

e: A real taco.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I'll try that out first. If it tastes like soap to me, I wouldn't ruin the whole batch that way, either.

I'll be sure to keep the folds to a minimum.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Make a guacamole and put some fresh cilantro in half of it. poo poo's fantastic.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Fresh coriander gets a lot more aromatic if you let it freshen up in a bowl of cold water after you bring it in the house.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sjurygg posted:

Fresh coriander gets a lot more aromatic if you let it freshen up in a bowl of cold water after you bring it in the house.

Also, for anyone trying it for the first time and/or experimenting, this step (along with a vigorous washing) will help you avoid the mistake I did the first time I bought a bunch of fresh cilantro and used it without washing. Those were the grittiest, sandiest tacos I ever had.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

The Midniter posted:

Also, for anyone trying it for the first time and/or experimenting, this step (along with a vigorous washing) will help you avoid the mistake I did the first time I bought a bunch of fresh cilantro and used it without washing. Those were the grittiest, sandiest tacos I ever had.

I learned to do this the same way when I tried dandelion greens about a month or two ago. After that, I decided anything green and leafy gets soaked from now on.

I take that back. Anything green will be soaked because leeks are like sandpaper.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Do you get the soapy cilantro effect for ground coriander seeds too? Like in spiced falafel or indian foods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
Time to soak me some guacamole