Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Teek posted:

I think they showed footage of it, didn't they? It was just a filmed gag date I think, but from what I've read, they remained in contact periodically afterwards.

Yeah they showed like a 5 second clip of it, didn't really say what happened, then said (I think?) "and that's why she hates him" so I don't really get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Man, I was kind of hoping that the tidbit about Doohee having programmed the voting app (hacker!) would have led to some interesting shenanigans. Of course, that probably would have made things one-sided and thus uninteresting, but it seemed kind of strange to get one of the players to do something rather banal.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

Shakugan posted:

The serve to set the tone for the rest of the series to ensure that everyone doesn't spend the entire show betraying one another just because. They certainly make for lame death matches, but they ensure future main matches stay interesting.

I also like the social/popularity part of the Genius, because if you're a dick Like the 170+ IQ guy in episode 1 or start alienating yourself from the other contestants then you put yourself at a disadvantage. I think that was the main problem for Lin Yoonsun, she was too pushy, over assertive and betrayed her allies.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Shakugan posted:

An issue is that that information saved him time, allowing him to snap a photo and then immediately begin forming those alliances, instead of of spending ages copying the info.. An even bigger problem is that the host reminding Hongchul about the camera on the phone is likely what inspired his perfect crime (which was absolutely hilarious btw, what is Junghyun even doing on this show, really?). Though it didn't end up influencing the game, what seems like innocent information supplied from the host had the potential to really affect the game in Hongchul's favour.

No, I don't think that helped Hongchul at all, since he's not even the one the dealer told about the phone. It was Yohwan, and it looks like it was when he was the last one standing there trying to write it all down. It certainly didn't help him much.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Enjoyed the episode, and I agree that the complexity of the main match made it very hard to come up with a sure-fire strategy. Jinho figuring out INFINITE GEMS was still awesome though, if he had just thought of it 20 minutes earlier, there was a good chance they could've pulled it off.

Regarding the Death Match, at first I felt it really unfair that Yoonsun picked Yohwan, when he literally threw away everything to back her strategy. But thinking about it more, her decision made sense. She had no idea if the rest of the group would be allowed to influence the Death Match, and if she had picked anyone on the "majority team", that person would've gotten most of the help, so she had to pick someone from her own alliance to give her the fairest chance of winning. Still glad Yohwan won, though.

Edit: Also regarding the Death Match, if Yoonsun had spent one turn earlier turning the square reflector to face back at her own laser, I'm pretty sure there would've been no way for either player to win and the game actually could've been a stalemate. I wonder what the contingency would've been at that point.

qbert fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 11, 2014

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Regarding episode 5 deathmatch I still don't think I'd pick Yohwan over Jinho. Sure you can argue that Jinho is a more intimidating opponent, but their strengths and weaknesses are very similar, except that Jinho is a lot better at the social parts of things, and seems a lot sharper in general. But given that neither Jinho or Yohwan had allies for the game left, and the winning team would surely be a lot more eager to off a strong player like Jinho - and Yoonsun herself - over a perceived weak one like Yohwan, it seems like Jinho would be the safer bet in case of a deathmatch that the others could impact, while they were both favored in the type of game that ended up being played. And for once, Jinho would be the more honorable choice too, since he'd done less than Yohwan to help her, so even his generally helpful nature and lack of betrayals shouldn't have weighed that much considering his aiming at her at the start (sure it was mostly joking, but still), only throwing his lot in when he thought he'd found a perfect plan for her ability, etc. AND he had more garnets, so there was that perfect excuse/motivation too.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Insurrectionist posted:

Regarding episode 5 deathmatch I still don't think I'd pick Yohwan over Jinho. Sure you can argue that Jinho is a more intimidating opponent, but their strengths and weaknesses are very similar, except that Jinho is a lot better at the social parts of things, and seems a lot sharper in general. But given that neither Jinho or Yohwan had allies for the game left, and the winning team would surely be a lot more eager to off a strong player like Jinho - and Yoonsun herself - over a perceived weak one like Yohwan, it seems like Jinho would be the safer bet in case of a deathmatch that the others could impact, while they were both favored in the type of game that ended up being played. And for once, Jinho would be the more honorable choice too, since he'd done less than Yohwan to help her, so even his generally helpful nature and lack of betrayals shouldn't have weighed that much considering his aiming at her at the start (sure it was mostly joking, but still), only throwing his lot in when he thought he'd found a perfect plan for her ability, etc. AND he had more garnets, so there was that perfect excuse/motivation too.

I think she basically said she did not take Jinho because he was in the same boat as her with regards to no one ever wanting to work with them. Yohwan was to busy talking to everyone else besides Yoonsun for most of the game, and she could have won if they had spoke earlier. She was definitely trying to talk to him long before they ended up speaking. Obviously I can't actually know what was going through her head, but that is my speculation based on what she said.

As for Jinho and Yohwans comparable skillset, only Jinho is actually proven in this game, and it was hard to suspect that the deathmatch would suit Yohwans main skillset so well. Yohwan does not have Jinho's Genius game cred, not even close. Also this was the worst deathmatch, despite how cool the setup and idea was.

dungtongue
Jan 8, 2014

redreader posted:

Yeah they showed like a 5 second clip of it, didn't really say what happened, then said (I think?) "and that's why she hates him" so I don't really get it.

It was for a show called 'Gold Miss Is Coming'. It was about 6 unmarried celebrities taking on challenges to get a date with some random guy and Hongchul was the host. Later on they flipped it around so that Hongchul got a blind date with Yoonsun for the show. One month later he revealed he was dating a singer.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I was surprised that I've played both the main match and the death match before. This was the first time that a game that I have played turned up on The Genius. Well, a very closely related version of the main match at least.

Yoonsun really played the deathmatch poorly. There were many opportunities to react to the blocking strategy that she could have used, but I guess it just wasn't her game. A shame the Go player wasn't still in this; a spacial reasoning game would be right up her ally.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

JakeP posted:

As for Jinho and Yohwans comparable skillset, only Jinho is actually proven in this game, and it was hard to suspect that the deathmatch would suit Yohwans main skillset so well. Yohwan does not have Jinho's Genius game cred, not even close. Also this was the worst deathmatch, despite how cool the setup and idea was.

This is true, but the individual deathmatch games so far have been pretty strategy/tactics-focused (Like Indian Poker - combined with memorization - or Yutnori) which you'd expect to be Yohwan's one strong point if any, so she was pretty hard done by either way if she was dead set on one of the two and, as it did, things went that way. Meanwhile there was a pretty sizeable chance it would be a game where the others could impact it, and in that case Jinho would be FAR safer - essentially she already knew they found her a threat, so her only real hope would be to give them the chance to out an even bigger threat, which Jinho was. After all, her issues regarding getting allies would still be there in the future, while Jinho just keeps on trucking and winning while only expanding his sphere of influence. They might vote pragmatically and support her just to get him out. Meanwhile Yohwan has shown little ambition OR ability, and would be pretty much a sure pick for the others if they'd ended up playing a game they could influence.

diamond dog
Jul 27, 2010

by merry exmarx

Shakugan posted:

One thing I'm starting to get WAY suspicious of is producer manipulation. I think it's super sketchy when players get roles assigned by production in a non-randomized way. Since they can just give more powerful roles to people they want to keep around for ratings, i.e. Sangmin, an obvious fan favourite, from this episode.

I'm also suspicious that they want to keep Yohman around so he can battle Jinho at some point, so the introduction of laser chess which plays incredibly strongly to certain skills that Yohman obviously has in spades seemed like a pretty big coincidence.
Yeah. Sangmin seems to be very "lucky" with starting conditions this time around and I've been suspicious of deathmatch choices since midway through last season: they're only revealed after both players have been selected and there have been a few that seemed too perfect.

JakeP posted:

You think they just keep that gigantic deathmatch around just in case? Compared to any of the others it is the most complex set they have uesd.

Of course they do.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Random Stranger posted:

I was surprised that I've played both the main match and the death match before. This was the first time that a game that I have played turned up on The Genius. Well, a very closely related version of the main match at least.
The main game seemed to be an offshoot of Nomic, except that all of the possible rules were pre-written. In most variants of Nomic, the players can submit any rule they can think up.

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009
Regarding the phone, it was just simply product placement for VEGA.

They wanted to show the phone's features in use and so she suggested it to Yohwan. Notice how clearly the interface of the phone is presented when he takes the photo. It's also why Sangmin played music on it.

Fuoco fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 11, 2014

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

For the record, if you have any words regarding unnamed dealer lady that aren't total adoration then you're a monster. She is fantastic and her reactions to all of the shenanigans are totally adorable. Any time she gets some real interaction with the contestants is wonderful, like when Sungkyu calls her nuna and she blushes. And then they all make fun of him. :3:

So as far as I'm concerned she can bend as many rules as she wants and now that I think about it is probably the masked quizmaster. Series finale twist right there, some Keyser Soze stuff.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
There was a very easy way for a majority alliance to win the episode 5 mainmatch, by combining the infinity red chip pump with the idea of making wildcards useless in terms of veto/sign. By making sure that Jinho has the highest garnet count and thereby his personal bill being the last read, they would have a sure win. I was surprised that noone tried to manipulate the personal bill order by exchanging garnets.

I was also wondering why there was no Jinho vs. Doohee, because either one having the other eliminated would mean they have a near 100% chance to get the hidden immunity idol.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

GaussianCopula posted:

I was also wondering why there was no Jinho vs. Doohee, because either one having the other eliminated would mean they have a near 100% chance to get the hidden immunity idol.

At this point it makes more sense for them to work together. Doohee now has one more hint than Jinho, but it's all but guaranteed Jinho will get his hands on another. I wonder if the Immunity pin can be given away/traded for, that would make sharing information make a lot more sense.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Woah, subber just tweeted "Very controversial episode this week. They had to edit some parts out to lessen the backlash." Am now unbelievably excited to watch it. (Some people in the replies seemed similarly shocked )

GraPar fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jan 13, 2014

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

GraPar posted:

Woah, subber just tweeted "Very controversial episode this week. They had to edit some parts out to lessen the backlash." Am now unbelievably excited to watch it. (Some people in the replies seemed similarly shocked )

I asked him for a hint... the main thing I can think that would cause an actual backlash (besides physical/verbal abuse) would be a producer screwup that ends up sending someone to Death Match. And out of the cast, maybe only a true outrage if that person is Jinho.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
My immediate assumption was that somebody had behaved in a particularly underhanded/terrible way, but it would require something pretty special to garner controversy on this show.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

GaussianCopula posted:

There was a very easy way for a majority alliance to win the episode 5 mainmatch, by combining the infinity red chip pump with the idea of making wildcards useless in terms of veto/sign. By making sure that Jinho has the highest garnet count and thereby his personal bill being the last read, they would have a sure win. I was surprised that noone tried to manipulate the personal bill order by exchanging garnets.

Jinho did think of that; but Yoonsun wanted to win and sabotaged him, she might have been safe..

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot
Shouldn't we spoiler that tweet and the the speculation based on it?

I'm scared it's about all contestants left agreeing to just sabotage Jinho together, to send him to the death match some way or another, and then try to kill him.
I can see Sangmin, Hongchul and Jiwon convincing Yooyoung/Yohwan/Doohee to always sabotage Jinho and send him to the death match every round until he dies.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

GraPar posted:

Man, it promises to be exciting but I don't think I want backlash and controversy in my Genius show. :ohdear: The people I see most likely to screw someone over severely are probably Doohee (token of immortality issue) or maybe Sangmin. But when she says they had to "edit parts out" that doesn't seem to mesh, how could you edit parts of a double cross out to lessen backlash? That comment makes me think that what they're editing out is some kind of tirade or bullying or something, more Brandon Hantz like, but I don't see something like that coming from any of the remaining contestants. Hmm, maybe someone picked a partner for something like tactical yutnori who sabotaged them every hand and threw the wrong stuff? And they just showed a little of it instead of all of it? Haha what if it was Boxer who did it to YellOw, that'd cause some backlash. I dunno, I guess speculation is useless but this sounds kind of negative to me.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jan 13, 2014

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Apparently the backlash involves Jiwon, based on Twitter chatter. I'm not digging too deeply as I'd rather not spoil the episode for myself

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Wow, I just finished season 1 and Im pretty hype to catch up with the current season and chat with yall.

Season 1 chat: I was secretly hoping for Jinho to come in second the whole time, even though I liked him, just for all the jokes that could be made. Also, a heartly lmao at Sunggyu growing a backbone around episode 8-9 and dominating the game for a while after being used as an errand boy all game. I grew a lot of respect for him after that.

Was anyone else expecting the race model during the 5:5 game to be a man? The show was making such a deal about talking about how sexy she was, I thought someone was going to ask a gender question and get hosed over because the race model was actually a guy. I guess I was just expecting them to pull a Maury.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jan 13, 2014

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Running With Spoons posted:

Shouldn't we spoiler that tweet and the the speculation based on it?

I'm scared it's about all contestants left agreeing to just sabotage Jinho together, to send him to the death match some way or another, and then try to kill him.
I can see Sangmin, Hongchul and Jiwon convincing Yooyoung/Yohwan/Doohee to always sabotage Jinho and send him to the death match every round until he dies.

I could see it, although I don't think Yohwan would be very eager to - that said, if all the others agreed, he might just throw his lot in with them since there's not much one player can do anyway, depending on the game. Yohwan doesn't seem to take things too seriously, and he knows that his main appeal on the show is still his rivalry with Jinho, even if last week improved his standing a little.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Could it be that the episodes that arrive were only 2-3 episodes behind the shootings and rest of the cast watched newest episode and saw the Safe so now everyone knows where it is in the next episode that we are awaiting to watch eagerly.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Ror posted:

For the record, if you have any words regarding unnamed dealer lady that aren't total adoration then you're a monster. She is fantastic and her reactions to all of the shenanigans are totally adorable. Any time she gets some real interaction with the contestants is wonderful, like when Sungkyu calls her nuna and she blushes. And then they all make fun of him. :3:

So as far as I'm concerned she can bend as many rules as she wants and now that I think about it is probably the masked quizmaster. Series finale twist right there, some Keyser Soze stuff.

Go watch S1E11 BTS 2. Bookmark it. Download it to your mobile devices. Life becomes better.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nexal posted:

Could it be that the episodes that arrive were only 2-3 episodes behind the shootings and rest of the cast watched newest episode and saw the Safe so now everyone knows where it is in the next episode that we are awaiting to watch eagerly.
I think it's more like a 5-episode gap between recording and air time. source: something I think I read somewhere

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Meme Emulator posted:

Was anyone else expecting the race model during the 5:5 game to be a man? The show was making such a deal about talking about how sexy she was, I thought someone was going to ask a gender question and get hosed over because the race model was actually a guy. I guess I was just expecting them to pull a Maury.

You watched to much american cable tv.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Apart from Yellow vs Lawyer lady, what deathmatches looked 'loaded'?

I'm excited to see the next one! finally caught up with everything this weekend. Sangmin is way cooler this season, and his dance was hilarious given the reasons/lack of context. I'm also amazed by his lie detection, strange that it wasn't used much last season?

not joseph stalin
Dec 30, 2008
There was the zombie game, where he instantly deduced who everyone was.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

And the burglar game, where it failed hilariously

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Controversy intrigues me. What could be so scandalous that even the Genius had to do a little cover-up/edit around it?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

NowonSA posted:

Controversy intrigues me. What could be so scandalous that even the Genius had to do a little cover-up/edit around it?

Can't be that mean-spirited. I think whoever said that it'd have something to do with the previously aired episodes revealing something to the other contestants ahead of time is spot-on. It'd explain why they'd have to edit stuff out.

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

I think it's more like a 5-episode gap between recording and air time. source: something I think I read somewhere

If this is true, they wouldn't have seen episode 1 by the time they recorded episode 5. When they record 6th they have only seen first episode of s2. So it has to be an episode 1 thing if that created the controversy.

Skuzal
Oct 21, 2008
People on TeamLiquid have posted vague spoilers as to what the backlash from the next episode is going to be and honestly it makes sense why parts of it would be cut out since some brutal things happened.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Ironic Twist posted:

Can't be that mean-spirited.

It's incredibly mean-spirited.

REAL SPOILERS for episode 6 follow, do not read if you don't want to know what happens in episode 6: The broadcasters decide to force the non-broadcasters off the show, so Jiwon and Yooyoung steal Doohae's ID card, which is required to play the main game. He's unable to even participate throughout the main match, which basically defeats the purpose of even having it. Before the death match, the broadcasters apologize and Sangmin gives Doohae a fake token of immortality which does nothing, because they haven't had enough fun loving with him yet. And then finally the death match is nothing but a popularity contest that he has no chance of winning.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Okay so I broke down and found spoilers for Ep 6. It does sound like there could be some backlash after this one.

I'll try and keep the spoilers vague. The person eliminated this week pretty much gets screwed over in a way that will make a bunch of the other contestants look pretty bad. All part of "the game" I guess, but this one sounds especially brutal. The fact that said contestant breaks down in tears multiple times on camera isn't going to help matters.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I just broke down and read that. Yeah that's super hosed up. What about point 3 in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B
When the subber said episode 6 is going to be edited, what does that mean? Will we be getting the edited episode, or will it just be edited for future broadcasts in Korea? I don't want to hunt for a raw episode, but my curiousity is killing me and I don't want a watered down version.