Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

oatgan posted:

Batista owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vbHRFr6S4I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Because Rocket Racoon has the same pull as any other Marvel superhero.

Iron Man did not really have any pull and neither did Blade.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

More than the cartoon racoon superhero does. Maybe I'll be wrong, but this feels like its going to end up as Marvel Films' Green Lantern rather than the next big franchise.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The only Marvel film to bomb by any means was the Ed Norton Hulk (I'm not even sure they've got plans to make another with Ruffalo). Captain America was considered only a modest success because (quelle surprise) it didn't catch much traction overseas.

It's definitely the least prestigious property they've brought to the screen, but I was pretty sure the premise of Thor was too ludicrous to be pulled off in a movie and I turned out to be wrong. If the stinger at the end of Thor 2 is anything to go by, though, it's going to be weird as gently caress.

It should be said that it's an ensemble picture. For some reason I'm expecting Batista to get killed off in short order but that probably won't happen. I just think it'd be funny considering how he "struck it big" with the role.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 11, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

More than the cartoon racoon superhero does. Maybe I'll be wrong, but this feels like its going to end up as Marvel Films' Green Lantern rather than the next big franchise.

It will make money based off its cast and its a Marvel film. It also does not seem like a huge mess like Green Lantern was.

Batista should stay around as Drax has a history of dying then coming back. His sole purpose is also to kill Thanos.

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

Note that green lantern didn't bomb under normal circumstances. If it wasn't budgeted by a complete madman, it would have gotten a massive profit, but it was a movie that needed 500 million at the box office to break even, and only got 300, a number that, through any other movie, would have been a wild success.

Either this is another example in the long line of examples entitled "how the gently caress did marvel make this sell", or this will be the start of the average moviegoer's obsession with superhero movies slowly dwindling. I don't know, I just think Batista's a bit of a prick

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

oatgan posted:

Batista owns

Finally some facts

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Rocket Raccoon is going to make people flip their poo poo as soon as commercials start airing with him pulling out his giant laser gun.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Yeah, it's insane to realise that Marvel took a huge gamble on Iron Man, and turned RDJ from a punchline into the world's biggest movie star. I don't care what that box office list said about the Rock, he needed 4 movies to outgross what Iron Man 3 took BY ITSELF. At this point, the Marvel brand name is able to open a movie to a decent box office. GotG is going to break even, and probably turn a tidy profit. Now how good it actually is, how sick of superheroes the public is, and how far they can stretch disbelief? That's going to determine whether it's a mild let-down or a huge hit, certainly.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

that movie looks cool, Chris Pratt is good at things

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

DeathChicken posted:

Rocket Raccoon is going to make people flip their poo poo as soon as commercials start airing with him pulling out his giant laser gun.

It's getting the sort of hype that 'snakes on a plane' got -- remember, everyone online was going to go watch it because motherfucking snakes on a plane. Then nobody actually went, because movies are too expensive to watch ironically in theaters.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

except it's made by marvel/disney and will have hundreds of millions in marketing instead of targeting a niche audience of ironic internet nerds that pirate everything anyway

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
The Avengers effect is going to give Guardians of the Galaxy a massive boost and it will be a hit because Marvel made it.

The only reason anyones saying it will bomb is because there hasnt been a new franchise in Marvels films since Avengers was released.

Kifisonfire
Jan 15, 2008

Important tweet coming through

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Imagine Psycho Sid getting pumped in the locker room before the final game of the National Softball World Championship Series Derby, this pounding in his Beats by Dre:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAFVu_A4OwQ

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Lance Storm makes a funny joke in the year 2014.

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/421143286560985089

Or as funny as it will get because gently caress Alex Riley.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I'm not watching WWE regularly. Is Batista a douchebag heel or an intense face?

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

coconono posted:

I'm not watching WWE regularly. Is Batista a douchebag heel or an intense face?

He's coming back, so nothing yet.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

DarkstarIV posted:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DarkstarIV posted:

I didn't laugh but maybe that is the style of joke Lance Storm does

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Valeyard posted:

I didn't laugh but maybe that is the style of joke Lance Storm does

This is a spot on description of his career as a whole.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
GotG may well bomb (sometimes movie audiences just don't like things that are neat, like laser raccoons) but it looks to be really entertaining.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

GotG comes out on my birthday so it better be good.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I think GotG could go either way. The premise of a talking tree and a raccoon with a laser gun is one that will either be too ridiculous or just ridiculous enough.

As for Batista, I'm surprised people are thinking he'll end up heel. Thought it was obvious he would be returning as a face (probably to feud with Orton,) but I guess he could go either way too. I will say that heel Batista is worlds better than face Batista.

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

Also, when the fire of a return wears off, he's still have at least 42 more weeks to go on that contract, and he's still someone who is known for such, uh, fiery face promos

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Batista will return as a face because no one wants to boo Batista.

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

Like I already said, that's because it's a returning big-name. Once the groove is settled in, and 'Tista starts to squash folks we like instead of ADR? It's a different story

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

The Best Christmas posted:

Like I already said, that's because it's a returning big-name. Once the groove is settled in, and 'Tista starts to squash folks we like instead of ADR? It's a different story

Batista was never as boring as ADR at his worst.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

RacistGuidingLight posted:

Batista was never as boring as ADR at his worst.

This is true. Any time Batista threatens to get boring, he'll say something so amazingly stupid I love him again for a while. My personal favorite is his description of an upcoming Extreme Rules match: "And remember, weapons aren't just encouraged, THEY'RE ALLOWED!!!".

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

projecthalaxy posted:

This is true. Any time Batista threatens to get boring, he'll say something so amazingly stupid I love him again for a while. My personal favorite is his description of an upcoming Extreme Rules match: "And remember, weapons aren't just encouraged, THEY'RE ALLOWED!!!".

I'm hoping for the dumbest Ralph Lauren polos and sweaters and a whole bunch of stupid clothes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The Best Christmas posted:

Batista is never going to squash Cena so I'm set.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Batista is never going to squash Cena so I'm set.

Cena will be too busy kissing babies and hugging fat chicks.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Cena is Mike Awesome?

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

sticklefifer posted:

Batista was the best

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

bobkatt013 posted:

Cena is Mike Awesome?

In a lot of ways, yes.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Noam Dar's dog is best wrestledog.

(RIP Asparagus)

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Haha, Lana & Rusev claiming they are better than Heyman & Lesnar.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Saw Rusev at a house show last night and he looked terrible. Dude's gear looked like just him in his boxer briefs.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Oh dear.

Ryback's twitter posted:

@Ryback22 26m

Forearm gave The Showoff a concussion.
Excessive hand grip use n rock hard muscle is reported 2 have been the cause n has been disciplined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

So they disciplined his hand grip?